What kind of effects will Wii have on next gen?

Posted by maian

Let's all think about this. Nintendo Wii has offered a completely new way to play, and Nintendo's hit the jackpot. They've finally found success over their competitors with their new system. That may last, it may not. But, Nintendo has attempted to change and revolutionize gaming, but the question is, will it go through?

If the Nintendo Wii truly does succeed in changing gaming, what'll we see next generation? Nunhucks and remotes for Sony and Microsoft? Motion sensing peripherals? Etc?

Discuss.

Posted by Bebop

VR Headsets? Meh.

Posted by Fate

Optional motion sensing.

Posted by Speedfreak

No non-standard input device has ever been widespread among the gaming populace. Optional motion sensing would recieve little support, just like other optional controllers, optional hard drives and modems etc

I think it depends entirely on just how much Wii wins by, if it does. If Wii ends up with 80-90% of the market (taking into account the new users it will attract) then I think we'll definately see motion control as the new standard. It's happened numerous times with previous controllers and I don't see why this would be any different.

Posted by TendoAddict

My guess is systems that can have more variability. Such as having a full functioning X-box 360 and Wii in the same system. So that 3rd partys are never really alienated one way or another.

And also like speedy said, depends on what wins this generation. Innovation of today is the normal for tomorrow.

I'd also like to see a shift back to 2D games because IMO they never hit their climax before 3D came. But thats just me.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting TendoAddict: I'd also like to see a shift back to 2D games because IMO they never hit their climax before 3D came. But thats just me.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. 2D games on today's home consoles could be ****ing huge.

Posted by maian

I wouldn't like to see a shift back to 2D, but I'd love to see a lot more 2D games made for home consoles. I'm thrilled they're constantly made for the DS, despite it's graphical capability.

If more games like DKC2 came out, it'd be heaven.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Zeta;524665]2D games on today's home consoles could be ****ing huge.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting maian: I wouldn't like to see a shift back to 2D, but I'd love to see a lot more 2D games made for home consoles.

I'd hate to tell you this man but a increase in 2D games in the home console market would mean a shift to 2-D.

I never ment to say we should go back to the days of the Master System and Snes, just that the 2D style has A LOT of kick in it and the fact that its so ignored at home today is sad.

Posted by TheSorrow

It just goes to show you that good graphics isnt everything as long as you can reach out to the casual gamer in a way with something inovative and doesnt cost that much

Posted by Fate

I'm probably the only one that's bothered with the idea of companies focused on reaching everyone and leaving out (or "specializing" in) the decades of gamers from the past.

Posted by s0ul

Call me presumptuous but I think you are included in "everyone."

Posted by Fate

Yeah, I am. The point was, if you would reread it, that I'm concerned about companies focused on reaching everyone, "everyone" being nobody in particular, therefore not "specializing" in hardcore gamers. Those who have been gaming for years may very well have fun with simple control layouts or motion sensing-- that's not the point. What I mean (or implied previously) is that companies won't be focused on the millions (or billions?) of gamers that already exist, making gaming a casual thing that anyone can join in on, leaving skill kind of on the table. I like skilled players, the ones that completely own someone else on games.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Fate: Yeah, I am. The point was, if you would reread it, that I'm concerned about companies focused on reaching everyone, "everyone" being nobody in particular, therefore not "specializing" in hardcore gamers. Those who have been gaming for years may very well have fun with simple control layouts or motion sensing-- that's not the point. What I mean (or implied previously) is that companies won't be focused on the millions (or billions?) of gamers that already exist, making gaming a casual thing that anyone can join in on, leaving skill kind of on the table. I like skilled players, the ones that completely own someone else on games.

Exactly. I don't like games that you just pick up and play easily as much as games you have to learn, and practice to get good at.

Posted by Ant

Just one more step in killing the arcade :)

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Fate: Yeah, I am. The point was, if you would reread it, that I'm concerned about companies focused on reaching everyone, "everyone" being nobody in particular, therefore not "specializing" in hardcore gamers. Those who have been gaming for years may very well have fun with simple control layouts or motion sensing-- that's not the point. What I mean (or implied previously) is that companies won't be focused on the millions (or billions?) of gamers that already exist, making gaming a casual thing that anyone can join in on, leaving skill kind of on the table. I like skilled players, the ones that completely own someone else on games.

Then I'd say you're the only one worried about that because there's no indication of that happening at all.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Misoxeny;525594]Exactly. I don't like games that you just pick up and play easily as much as games you have to learn, and practice to get good at.

Spoiler: the best games are both.

Posted by Bebop

To be honest I thought that was happening now. For every game made for the hardcore player there seems to be millions more made for the casual player. I lost count of the DDR knock offs, the cheap EA games and the GTA wannabes.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I lost count of the DDR knock offs, the cheap EA games and the GTA wannabes.

I wouldn't call GTA-types casual games. But a majority of non-"hardcore" games is to be expected. There is, however, a difference between casual games, and pick-up and play games like Wario Ware and so on--ones that you will probably see a lot of on the Wii. I'm not sure what kind of impact the Wii will have on the future, I can just hope to hell MS keeps their console line around so I can keep getting the more hardcore games that I prefer playing.

Posted by Bebop

Meh I think the GTA knock off games are casual. Perhaps not in control but certainly in appeal. Then again I dont really consider a game hardcore if it has a steep learning curve and complicated controls. I can only think of a few games that fit that bill like Splinter Cell.

I have to agree that they're casual in appeal. But the final product always feels like a hardcore-like experience. If anything, it's one of the few hardcore-types that appeal to a broad market, if you know what I'm saying.

Posted by Bebop

I guess. Still though casual in my books.

And also the same could be siad for the opposite. If a game hardcore in controls supposadly means its for the hardcore player than what about all the games casual or non-gamers have never heard of but contain easy controls? I've unfortunately never played it but Katamari certainly seems that way to me. Or Monkey Ball for instance. Pretty easy controls but you wouldnt find it among a casual gamer's small gaming library.
I just dont like it when people say a game is hardcore or not based on controls alone. Its like all those "Nintendo is kiddy cos theres no blood" arguments.

I'm not sure who said hardcore games are built on controls alone... as that's fairly wrong. There's just certain games that will always appeal to the hardcore. However, Katamari and the like I would not say are hardcore. Rather, niche. Hardcore is certainly a niche, but a completely separate one. I just don't think they fall under the same umbrella.

Posted by Bebop

Fate seemed to imply it.
I agree actually, katamari is more a niche. It was the only real example I could think of at the time of a game with simple controls and a title a casual gamer would not have heard of. I think Monkey Ball is a better example.

I think it's more because Monkey Ball sucks LOL

Posted by Bebop

Lies. Vicious lies.

Posted by ccrocker58

I always figured a game that's considered "hardcore" was a game that was usually not seen in the mainstream gamers library. But personally, my view on hardcore is more of how a person plays a game. There's tons of games out there that everyone plays, but only about a quarter of those people are actually above and beyond at playing them. Iono...that's always been my view on what it means to be hardcore.