is Family guy at it's peak?

Posted by Red

I've been a fan of Family guy for quite some time..but in my oppinion the series is getting old, each episode is seemingly the same old with few differences, many of you may dissagree with me, but I seriously don't find it as funny as it used to be around season 3-ish. don' get me wrong, I still find the show funny, and is easily one of my favourites, I just think it's lost it's edge, meanwhile others find that it's at it's peak.

what do you think?

Posted by Zeta

Just like you, I found it peaked around season 3. The last time I truly got a good laugh from it was that farting Dueling Banjos thing.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It peaked when it was canceled.

Posted by WackoHater2

I have not stopped watching it all together just yet, but I have found it to be a bit more boring than it used to be. I liked Futurama a lot better these days.

Posted by muffla

i really like it but dont watch it on tv anymore i just borrow a friends dvd set

still prety good but most of the funny parts can fit into any episode

Posted by Red

well, I'm relived no one has disagreed with me yet, I figgured alot more Famguy Fanboy's might come on and derep-rape me.

Posted by Bebop

Family Guy is past its peak. It needs to sto for good this time.

Posted by Crazy K

It's definitely past it's peak. I found it the same every time so I just stopped watching it.

**** I voted yes by accident.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I am getting quite sick of Family Guy. I love the way they have flashbacks in all the time, but I liked it more when they made sense. Now they just throw random stuff in there, and I'll kinda laugh when I see, but then later I'll realize there's nothing funny about these pointless stories that have no relationship to the plot. It was okay when they made sense, but now they don't even do that anymore. They just have Peter say the words "like that time when I..." and then go into something which is totally unlike the event that is actually going on.

I still watch it when there's a new one, but I'm not worried if I miss an episode.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

The old Family Guy seasons were amazing, and the new stuff has on and off episodes, like some will be really funny, and then some will be stupid. It's obviously losing it's touch and will soon go down.

Posted by veritas

I like how south park made fun of them. It was funny cause it was true. They have a cutscene of a joke that has nothing to do with the plot. In my opinion I really don't care. If those little scenes weren't there, it definatly would'nt be as funny.

Posted by Ant

It was at it's peak a year ago. It's been losing it's popularity since it's been on Fox again.

Posted by Red

Quoting Fei-on Castor: They just have Peter say the words "like that time when I..." and then go into something which is totally unlike the event that is actually going on.

I was thinking about that the other day and that's what REALLY started to **** me off about family guy, I found that Peter had to do that at leats one time EVERY episode (ussually right at the begining of the episode) and the crap that plays after that is just nonsense, it's entirly random, and sometimes not even in a good way.

plus you could tell they're just trying to fit in the whole "like the time I..." joke because the reason for Peter to have said that was ussually something stupid.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

the show peaked before it was cancelled. i honestly can't remember anything funny in any episode since it's been back. granted, i've only watched like three of the 'new' episodes, but i used to love the first few seasons.

Posted by Raptor

I love how no one here knows the difference between "its" and "it's."

Pretty much what rct said.

Posted by Ant

oops. IN RETROSPECT I NOW SEE THE ERROR OF MY WAYS.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I still love the show. The biggest problem with the show is it doesn't appeal to many people because they just don't get the jokes and constant references to shows/cartoons/music/movies/etc. For example, the episode "Petergeist" (Fourth season) is an obvious jab at Poltergeist, a 1982 horror classic that so many people wouldn't catch. In that same episode, there's a scene where Peter is hitting golf balls into the "void," and he says, "We'll get those terrorists. Now, watch this drive!" A reference to an interview with Dubya while he was golfing, where said something like, "We call upon all nations to stop those terrorists. Thank you. Now watch this drive!"

Or, in the episode "Peter's Got Woods," (also season 4), when Brian meets Shauna and the background music starts singing her name is a reference to Ferris Beuller's Day Off. Of course, the Ronald Reagan joke is classic: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall! REAGAN SMASH! REAGAN SMASH!" and later, "Reagan sleepy. Reagen sleepy..." And, my personal favorite in this episode is a billboard that says, "I'm Sleeping With Somebody at Paramount - Starring Ashley Judd."

The best part is the celebrity and politician bashing. Like in "Jungle Love" (season 4) when Peter flashbacks to the time he was Kevin Federline's magic mirror. "Magic Mirror, how can I be a douchebag, today?" In "Chitty Chitty Death Bang," (Season 1)Peter shoots all three members of Hanson. ("Holy crap! It's the Children of the Corn!") In "Da Boom" (Season 2), the easy bashing of Randy Newman. In "You May Now Kiss The... Uh... Guy Who Recieves" (Season 4), Clinton makes a special appearance that you just can't help but laugh at.

My all-time favorite Family Guy joke, though, is in the commentary of "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein" (which was meant for Season 2, but did not air until November 2003, making it part of Season 3) when one of the commentators--director Dan Povenmire, I believe--says, "You show me a poor Jewish man, and I'll show you his Catholic birth certificate," bashing Seth Macfarlane's ubringing in a Catholic community.

Quoted post: I still love the show. The biggest problem with the show is it doesn't appeal to many people because they just don't get the jokes and constant references to shows/cartoons/music/movies/etc.

There's only been one or two references I didn't get. It's just not funny anymore.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Raptor: I love how no one here knows the difference between "its" and "it's."

hey! i got it right!

'its' is possessive

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;532177]There's only been one or two references I didn't get. It's just not funny anymore.I think you're lying.

YOU CAUGHT ME HA HA!

Posted by Red

...was that admitance of defeat??

guys THIS IS AN IMPOSTER!!! you're not the real Vampiro at all.

Posted by Colonel

Some people might disagree but i've said it before and i'll say it again as many times as it takes. I CAN'T STAND Family Guy. Its retarded and repetitive jokes are well... retarded, and when the show makers come across something funny they'll use it and use it until the fact that it isn't even funny anymore.

Quoted post: ...was that admitance of defeat??

guys THIS IS AN IMPOSTER!!! you're not the real Vampiro at all.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sarcasm

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Colonel;533796]Some people might disagree but i've said it before and i'll say it again as many times as it takes. I CAN'T STAND Family Guy. Its retarded and repetitive jokes are well... retarded, and when the show makers come across something funny they'll use it and use it until the fact that it isn't even funny anymore.You don't need to say that you don't like the show more than once. That makes for a really stupid conversation.
"Hey guys, did you watch the new episode of Family Guy?"
"I don't like that show."
"It was funny as hell. Peter (did something crazy)."
"Umm... Yeah, we got it the first time."
See how that works out?
---
The situations, rare as they are, in which the jokes drag on longer than they need to (chicken fight, for starters) are, by themselves, the joke. I can't help but laugh at the writing staff when they have to extend a joke a full twenty or thirty seconds longer than they normally would, simply because of the factor of time.

Posted by Colonel

I still don't like the show, and I find it's jokes repetitive.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Skitzo Control:
The situations, rare as they are, in which the jokes drag on longer than they need to (chicken fight, for starters) are, by themselves, the joke. I can't help but laugh at the writing staff when they have to extend a joke a full twenty or thirty seconds longer than they normally would, simply because of the factor of time.

they already did that joke in what, the first season? the pawtucket pat brew-tour episode where peter hurt his shin was the first time. it was hilarious to me at the time. doing it more than once makes you think that either they're repeating jokes because they're not creative anymore or that they seriously need to waste the time and can't think of more jokes because they're not creative anymore.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Chicken fight was in the second season (Da Boom), and again in the fourth season (Blind Ambition). It was the writers' way of saying, "Hey, things are going to be the same, so enjoy."

I understand some of you don't like it, that's cool. A lot of the jokes are over your heads, I dig it.

Hahaha, it's cute when people try to defend what the clearly like.