In Flames

Posted by Richaod

If anyone were to ask me who my favourite band were in terms of guitars, In Flames would be a reflex response.

I first got into them through the Colony album, which is to date still my favourite album of theirs. If you can get past the vocals, there's some fantastic instrumentation there - the best dual rhythm guitar melodies ever to exist, lovable solos, great drumming... Songs like Embody The Invisible and Zombie Inc. sum up just why I like them so much. The riffs and instrumentation are just so consistently mind-blowing.

It's unfortunate that they seem to have declined, but I can still enjoy Soundtrack To Your Escape, and admittedly, it does fit their vocal style a bit more appropriately. Another thing I was disappointed with was their live album The Tokyo Showdown - the crowd interaction seemed awkward, especially for a band with so much mosh-pit potential.

Anyway, so if you haven't already had a listen, I can't stress their greatness enough. I'd love to see some other opinions on them too.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Here's a band that I think is grossly overrated. Other than their Jester Race album, I don't particularly care for anything they do with the exception of a couple of tracks on Clayman and most of the stuff from Reroute to Remain. The last two cds I mentioned are also considered to be the worst in their discography (excluding the horrible Soundtrack to Your Escape) because it goes further and further away from the Gothenburg Death Metal sound (which I don't like at all). The albums I mentioned also have, in my opinion, more memorable moments and just... more enjoyable to me than the other stuff. I have every album of theirs with the exception of Lunar Strain, so I have tried these guys out and it just doesn't do too much for me.

Posted by Richaod

Hehe, I certainly did overpromote them.

I haven't yet got all of The Jester Race/Black-Ash Inheritance, so I hope to get that soon.

And Lunar Strain/Subterranean happens to be the most brutal of their albums; the vocals are almost black-metallish. I personally don't like it too much, but perhaps you might be missing the main CD of theirs that you would like.

Posted by Inferno

I'm a pretty big fan of In Flames as well, especially some of the instrumentals they do. As for a favorite album, I definitely have to go with Colony just because Ordinary Story is one of my favorite songs. Reroute to Remain was also pretty good, and it is surely not as horrible as many people seem to think. One thing I noticed with their new music though is that they are sort of dumbing down some of the guitar riffs, most of the guitar parts in Reroute to Remain don't seem to be as invigorating or unique as some of the albums before it. But that's probably just me.

Posted by MetalVox~55

In Flames? :D

Garrett is gravely wrong when he mentions "Reroute to Remain." Sry bby :( :love:
My favorite album by these guys either lies with "Whoracle" or "The Jester's Race". They just seem way more in-your-face and much more about the metal than RtoR or Soundtrack are. (Soundtrack is by far the worst thing to ever happen to the band)

If they go the ways of their past, they'll kick all kinds of ***.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

What the guy above me said. Except replace Jester's Race with Colony.

Anywho, the band's last two albums may have been subpar, but their live performance is still awesome. Who cares if they continue to make bad CDs as long as they still play their old stuff at shows.

Anyways, I'll be suprised if they continue down the road of RtR and Soundtrack. Hopefully they know better.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I really like In Flames. My favortie song by them is Episode 666. While I only have 2 CD's of theirs, im looking to get a few more.

Posted by Axis

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Black][B]The only song I heard by them was "The Quiet Place"[/font][/color][/b]

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Dyers Eve: The only song I heard by them was "The Quiet Place"

That's no good, even though it was a single. Try Embody The Invisible or Zombie Inc.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Vampiro: Anywho, the band's last two albums may have been subpar, but their live performance is still awesome. Who cares if they continue to make bad CDs as long as they still play their old stuff at shows.

Last I heard/saw, they stopped playing their solos in songs and just opted for rhythm. This = BAD

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

No solos? **** that.

Posted by TheSecondComing

I like them decently enough. They use filler a bit too much, in my opinion, and their guitar tones and similar approach to everything gets a bit old.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting MetalVox~55: Last I heard/saw, they stopped playing their solos in songs and just opted for rhythm. This = BAD

quoted for truth...?

Bad, very bad. If they break through to the mainstream, imagine the radio-edit songs they'll be playing then. :(

Emo melodic death metal? *hurls*

Posted by Lemuria

Grow up without Nu Metal. :)

Posted by Porcupine

They were Melodic Death last time I heard them.

Posted by William

I've always disliked In Flames. Not my favorite type of music.