Just bought an N64

Posted by brownoystercult

And I have a question. It came with an expansion pak but I don't know if I still need a memory card. I just played Zelda: OoT and it seems like it saves without the need of one. So uh?

Posted by Zeta

Few N64 games actually use the Memory Card, since they're cartridge games. It's mostly used for saving optional stuff, like ghosts in Mario Kart 64.

Posted by Ant

Pretty useless overall.

Posted by brownoystercult

Sweet, thanks.

Posted by Xero

I rarely need a memory card. The only games I needed on for were Majora's mask and Donkey kong 64.

Aside those, a simple controller pack was ok.

Posted by Zeta

The Expansion Pak was used for MM and DK64, not the memory card. >_>

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Zeta: The Expansion Pak was used for MM and DK64, not the memory card. >_>

And Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day needed it too. And Rogue Squadron used it to improve draw distances.

Posted by Megatron

Conker's Bad Fur Day didn't need it.

Posted by Dexter

I have plenty of games that use a memory card. I have at least 3 memory cards, two of them completely full. The expansion pak is a graphic enhancer, it doesn't save material.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I can't remember if Hexen uses a memory card (although I'm counting on it; not entirely sure as I always play the PS version). Either way, it's useful to have one. I know Aidyn Chronicles requires one, but who really wants to play that piece of garbage.

Posted by Abendigo

yep hexen needs a memory card to save

many of the games not made by nintendo or rare need one to save - and any game made by accliam needs one