I've been getting into TOOL recently.

Posted by Raptor

There may already be a Tool thread floating around somewhere, but I don't feel like searching for it, personally.

Though I've somehow ended up acquiring three of their albums over the years, only recently have they begun to grow on me. Perhaps this is because they aren't as immediately accessible as so many other bands I'm familiar with. After repeated listens, though, it just sounds better and better. I've been getting into Lateralus, especially. I remember liking that album somewhat awhile back, but now, I'm hooked. It's such a beautiful work of art from start to finish, and it can put me in a fabulous trance as well as any electronica record can. It's such a refreshing departure from the usual formulaic crap that dominates the rock scene today, and I've been more into hard rock as of late. The booklet and the slip cover are alone worth having bought the actual CD.

And I just love the song "

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Never got into them. Their music bore me, which is odd since I listen to really boring, slow music. There's just something about them that came off as... pretentious maybe?

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Raptor: 'Cause I'm praying for rain
And I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.

Good stuff.

Good stuff, indeed. This is the song, more importantly part of the song, that really pulled me in and got me into them. Lateralus is my favorite CD of theirs, mostly because it is the only one that can pull me into a trace. Also, the drum work is fantastic. Their other albums don't seem to have that charm.

Posted by Omni

I just recently heard some of their songs, before that only having heard "Stinkfist" a few times. Some of them are pretty interesting, and I like the complex layered style in which the music is presented, which is different from most other comtemporary hard rock acts. Plus, Maynard's vocals are pretty awesome. I think in particular "Pushit" and "The Grudge" are my favorites out of what I've heard.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Never got into them. Their music bore me, which is odd since I listen to really boring, slow music. There's just something about them that came off as... pretentious maybe?

They are pretentious, but so are many other artists I listen to. It doesn't affect my appreciation for their music.

Lateralus definitely stands out to me. The percussion in "Reflection" is fabulous. I have yet to listen to 10,000 Days, but plan on doing so soon.

Posted by Lord of Spam

If you listen to tool, you probably are one.

Posted by Arwon

All power to you but Raptor, aren't you a little old to be getting into Tool?

c(:

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

took you long enough

Posted by Tyler Durden

I prefer Maynard and Danny's earlier works, [namely with the band: Green Jello]. I gave up on Tool slightly after the release of Lateralus, it just couldn't hold me, couldn't keep my attention as what Tool had started out as a band. Became too catchy, too media-friendly.. radio-whorish. And I was once a die-hard Tool fan. Opiate is a classic, because of it's raw appeal and edgey sound. UnderTow gained my trust within Tool, further engulfing my inner motives with every track.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Tool songs tend to be awesome for like the first 3 or 4 minutes, but then they tend to turn into some ******* fiddling with a synthesizer for a half hour. Its like they dont know when to end a **** song.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Lord of Spam;523440]Tool songs tend to be awesome for like the first 3 or 4 minutes, but then they tend to turn into some ******* fiddling with a synthesizer for a half hour. Its like they dont know when to end a **** song.

Sure seems that way, now. But, back when Opiate and Undertow were their only releases, Tool was quite enjoyable. Because they were still experimenting and finding their niche. Yet they didn't tend to over do it then, as they have been doing recently.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I actually didn't know about Tool until Schism came out, which is an excellent song.

But my favorite Tool song is probably Hooker with a Penis. They also did an excellent cover of No Quarter by Led Zeppelin.

I also like A Perfect Circle a lot, too, even though they really don't sound much like Tool other than MJK's voice.

Posted by S

Ah... Tool, where to begin?

I see Tool as a constantly changing form of music and experimentation. They have no niche because they have explored, and are still exploring, what there is that many artists have failed to grasp. What truly draws me to them is their concept of intensity through sound. Not only does Maynard control the intensity in his voice, but they couple it with the intensity of music as well as lyric.

I haven't followed them long but when I found what Tool actually was (I didn't like Tool because of their song Schizm for the longest time.), I fell head over heels for them. As that was, I wasn't able to see any progression of the band and I've simply taken Tool for what it really is. I bought their entire discography at one time and put it into my computer on random play. Their sound is unique and their voice equally as so. Although, at times, I don't agree with some of the messages, as I've grown as a person I've come closer to understanding what I'd missed before and the irony attuned to it. Their sound, musically, is a little heavier than I'm used to, in all honesty. I do prefer A Perfect Circle to Tool, if only in regards to Mer De Noms and some of eMOTIVE, and Thirteenth step... but Tool will always be one of my favorites.

I'd say my favorite songs are strewn throughout the albums, not only distinct to one. The Grudge, Pushit, Sober, Third Eye, AENEMA, Eulogy, H., Vicarious, Jambi, and 10,000 Days to name a few.

Their message is great, the power is phenominal, and I'd definately want to have a drink while discussing life with the band. They may come off as pretentious, but that's an utterly subjective word based on preconceptions of the one using it. I personally think the music displays a sense of confidense, with not much else, and that is what's seen as pretentious. But hey, to each his own. -shrug-

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Lunairetic: Ah... Tool, where to begin?

I see Tool as a constantly changing form of music and experimentation. They have no niche because they have explored, and are still exploring, what there is that many artists have failed to grasp. What truly draws me to them is their concept of intensity through sound. Not only does Maynard control the intensity in his voice, but they couple it with the intensity of music as well as lyric.

I haven't followed them long but when I found what Tool actually was (I didn't like Tool because of their song Schizm for the longest time.), I fell head over heels for them. As that was, I wasn't able to see any progression of the band and I've simply taken Tool for what it really is. I bought their entire discography at one time and put it into my computer on random play. Their sound is unique and their voice equally as so. Although, at times, I don't agree with some of the messages, as I've grown as a person I've come closer to understanding what I'd missed before and the irony attuned to it. Their sound, musically, is a little heavier than I'm used to, in all honesty. I do prefer A Perfect Circle to Tool, if only in regards to Mer De Noms and some of eMOTIVE, and Thirteenth step... but Tool will always be one of my favorites.

I'd say my favorite songs are strewn throughout the albums, not only distinct to one. The Grudge, Pushit, Sober, Third Eye, AENEMA, Eulogy, H., Vicarious, Jambi, and 10,000 Days to name a few.

Their message is great, the power is phenominal, and I'd definately want to have a drink while discussing life with the band. They may come off as pretentious, but that's an utterly subjective word based on preconceptions of the one using it. I personally think the music displays a sense of confidense, with not much else, and that is what's seen as pretentious. But hey, to each his own. -shrug-

this is the type of pretentious crap that makes me say that if you like tool, you are one.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Lord of Spam: Tool songs tend to be awesome for like the first 3 or 4 minutes, but then they tend to turn into some ******* fiddling with a synthesizer for a half hour. Its like they dont know when to end a **** song.

Dream Theater discussion thread is over there. I haven't really noticed this much with Tool.

Posted by Richaod

I was under the impression that you hated Tool... but they're definitely an interesting, if mildly baffling, band. I'm listening to more of their material too, since I'm seeing them live at the Big Day Out (along with Muse and stuff) in about a week.

Posted by Ichigo54

I love anyone who likes tool forever. they are to me the best band out there. and nobody is ever too old to liek Tool. my father is 49 and he loves htem even more than me. go buy all of their cds. uoi will smile.