Wii work out

Posted by Speedfreak

After owning a Wii for a little over a month I've started noticing my arms getting bigger, specifically my right (I'm right-handed). Masturbation jokes aside, I think Wii might actually be giving me a proper workout. Has anyone else noticed this yet?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Boxing is certainly workout-worthy if it's continually played, but bar that, none of the games I've played involve much more than slight twists and flicks to perform actions.

What games have you been playing?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X]Boxing is certainly workout-worthy if it's continually played, but bar that, none of the games I've played involve much more than slight twists and flicks to perform actions.

What games have you been playing?

Wii Sports, especially with my older brother, we get really into it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

You *****es get too into it. I barely move move my hand and refuse to stand for any game.

Posted by Drewboy64

^ you are a toolbox. heh.

Boxing can make me break a slight sweat, and that rayman running game gets my arms tired for a few seconds.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: and refuse to stand for any game.

Real men Wii standing up.

I'm more like Vampy, I barely move. I don't often swing the Wiimote turbulently or put my body strength into it. The only Wii game I liked standing up for was Red Steel and Wii Sports, but Zelda and Monkey Ball and everything else I've played were definitely sit down games. I imagine most games will be sit down games. I haven't noticed myself getting a work out but I think the girls do. Since they swing and move around way more than I do they get tired faster. It's fun to watch, although sometimes annoying because they exaggerate their movements unnecessarily.

Posted by ccrocker58

I agree. Most Wii games are sit-down games. I can't see myself ever playing Zelda standing, in fact, I played through most of the game lying in my bed. Even Wii Sports could easily be played sitting down depending on the game you're playing.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Smooth Moves can make for a nice workout, if you don't continually cheat it.

*feels teh shame* :o

Posted by Fate

I can feel my blood circulate better, but in no way am I getting workout from it. You've got to be really out of shape for you to feel tired!

Posted by Dexter

idk. The girls are in decent shape and even they get tired after swinging so much.

Posted by Fate

Maybe they're not as graceful as I am. :mad:

Posted by Dexter

Probably not. They often exaggerate movements hysterically. It gets worse as the intensity of the game rises. Let's see a video of you boxing!

If someone gets a workout from this **** or actually gets tried... ****ing take a break, calm down and realise you're an idiot.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;520193][COLOR=skyblue]I can feel my blood circulate better, but in no way am I getting workout from it. You've got to be really out of shape for you to feel tired![/COLOR]

My older brother works out at a gym and plays football regularly, he gets tired. 4 hours of Tennis will sorta do that to you.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;520338]If someone gets a workout from this **** or actually gets tried... ****ing take a break, calm down and realise you're an idiot.

I'm an idiot for manging to get a workout out of a fun video game. K.

Posted by Fate

Four hours?! How can he do that?

I don't know, I play real tennis and suck horribly at it, but running around to get the ball is a better workout than, say, just swinging without too much movement.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Oh man, I saw a video/blog just today of a guy who had a weight loss program by playing WiiSports for 30 mins a day. Let me see if I can dig it out.

Posted by Fate

But I don't understand how it can be a workout. It's not really cardio or anything. :/

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I was saying this when the Wiimote was first unveiled. Move a step up and start wearing 5-lb weights on your arms when you play, ya pansies.

Posted by Sage Shadows

When I first got I actually started to sweat. Boxing is the most active game for Wii Sports, and the only one that makes me break soem beads of sweat.

Posted by Dexter

It might not be the physical movement at all but how the game, using the Wiimote, with its intensity, tricks your body into thinking it's getting a work-out, thus it triggers something that thinks it needs to sweat and essentially.... well ok maybe not but I was close to something and if I wasn't so tired/lazy I would have found it.

He's probably just fat and not used to moving that much.

Posted by Ant

I'm fat.

Posted by D.J Cat

Well it really depends on your definition of "workout".

I'm sure it would be somewhat good for circulation as someone said, and just mobility and stuff like that.

I sweat just from playing Smash Bros on the cube.
Its only partly to do with the heat of where I live too.
I just put too much into it or something.
Like getting sore shoulders from wavedashing. Man that was a bad habit, I'm glad someone told me an easier way.

Posted by Fate

Sweating doesn't mean you're doing cardio. It means you sweat profusely during menial tasks. You're either weird or fat.

Posted by Klarth

My brother has been running and developing a very 2.0ish fitness site for the past ten months or so, and it seems the guy who did the weight-loss-through-Wii thing uses the site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3vmRcS71NY&eurl=

Screencap at 1:51. Traineo.com for curious lardasses.

So... Even before he found out about this, he had ordered a Wii for himself and written it off as a business expense. Now he's working on integrating the site with Wii Sports. SHOULD BE BLASTWORTHY.

As long has he has a Wii-friendly interface.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Prince Shondronai;521120]I was saying this when the Wiimote was first unveiled. Move a step up and start wearing 5-lb weights on your arms when you play, ya pansies.

I always said I was gonna get some when DBZ 2 came out here.

Posted by s0ul

DBZ involves very little motion.

Posted by Speedfreak

That's because you're a toolbox.

Posted by s0ul

If you move in DBZ you will end up flying back and forth to directions you don't want to go and accidentally block a lot. You don't move a lot.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Try playing the Calorine Burner in WarioWare, doing the microgames like the game instructs, and I dare you to say you won't get a decent workout. :cool:

Haha, don't be ridiculous.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Wings: Haha, don't be ridiculous.

I like the running game. :(

Posted by Kit

At first, playing Wii Sports a lot, my arms actually started to ache. But it's fine now. I got my Wii fitness age to 26, but now its up to 37. :(

My Wii fitness is something like 67 because it always throws that ******* tennis target game in there, which i suck at.

When I played Zelda for the first time I went to bed with a sore wrist, but that's the only Wii-related problem I've had. And it might not even be Wii-related ;p

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The fitness test is a really crappy way of judging physical age. My graph zigzags between low 20s and late 60s all the time, depending on what's thrown at me.

Posted by Big Boss

I sweat a lot when playing Wii Sports... but then I realized I can have more fun and get a better workout by playing real Tennis, so I did.

Quoting Speedfreak: I'm an idiot for manging to get a workout out of a fun video game. K.

Isn't that what you used to say about DDR? You know, before Nintendo said it was "ok" to get a workout out of a videogame.

DDR I can easily understand. Wii sports... not so much.

Posted by ccrocker58

Have you guys played boxing for more than 20 minutes? That's probably the only way you can get something close to a workout out of Wii Sports.

Posted by Fate

Punching air exerts a lot of energy. It makes you tired, yes, but in no way are you working out.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Big Boss;524169][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]Isn't that what you used to say about DDR? You know, before Nintendo said it was "ok" to get a workout out of a videogame.[/COLOR][/FONT]

No, I used to say it was girly. Girly like one of the Warioware boss microgames, except a full game that insane people actually pay

Posted by KoH

[quote=Fate;524599][COLOR=skyblue]Punching air exerts a lot of energy. It makes you tired, yes, but in no way are you working out.[/COLOR]

... Seriously?

Posted by Fate

Quoting Speedfreak: Some days at Karate that'd be all we'd do. You've degraded to a grade-A f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking moron.

You can't possibly be comparing Wii boxing to karate, because if you did, your understanding of energy exertion is too flawed to be taken into consideration. Karate is based on focused energy exertion; it's not intended to create substantial muscle so much as speed or focused strength. In Wii boxing, all you do is haphazardly punch with no focus. I've played Wii boxing and there is no way in hell that my character moved like I did, so I had nothing else to do but to rapidly move my arms in an attempt to get the ****ing response I was looking for. Karate also does more than just punching, so to call Wii boxing a real session is like saying I know real boxing. Now, I know you can't be that dumb to make a comparison between the two-- but, seeing as you already have, I guess I can call you an idiot. :cookie:

a real workout =/= anything in Wii Sports, no matter what

You're playing Wii boxing wrong. And to say that being active with Wii Sports has no benefit whatsoever is ridiculous, especially if the person doing it is getting tired/out of breath.

Posted by Fate

I may be playing it wrong, but it's still not a workout.

And I never said you don't get anything out of it, just not enough to call it a real workout.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;524646][COLOR=skyblue]You can't possibly be comparing Wii boxing to karate, because if you did, your understanding of energy exertion is too flawed to be taken into consideration. Karate is based on focused energy exertion; it's not intended to create substantial muscle so much as speed or focused strength. In Wii boxing, all you do is haphazardly punch with no focus. I've played Wii boxing and there is no way in hell that my character moved like I did, so I had nothing else to do but to rapidly move my arms in an attempt to get the ****ing response I was looking for. Karate also does more than just punching, so to call Wii boxing a real session is like saying I know real boxing. Now, I know you can't be that dumb to make a comparison between the two-- but, seeing as you already have, I guess I can call you an idiot. :cookie:

a real workout =/= anything in Wii Sports, no matter what[/COLOR]

I wasn't comparing Wii boxing to Karate, I was comparing the air-punching exercises to a workout, which is precisely what they were. The purpose of the exercises were to build muscle strength and stamina and to improve your aim and carve the motion into your brain. Wii boxing certainly doesn't do the latter, but it could well do the former if you played it like that. Just like any exercise. And yes, if it gets you out of breath, gets your heart racing and gets your muscles sore it's an exercise.

What an inane conversation.

EDIT: Fuck it, why am I even having this conversation? It's been proven that 30 minutes of Wii Sports a day can help you lose weight, experiments have already proven it.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Fate: Punching air exerts a lot of energy. It makes you tired, yes, but in no way are you working out.

Wait...hold on...are you being stupid on purpose?

Posted by KoH

[quote=Fate;524652][COLOR=skyblue]I may be playing it wrong, but it's still not a workout.

And I never said you don't get anything out of it, just not enough to call it a real workout.[/COLOR]

People all over the world do the same thing that you would do on a Wii and they seem to agree on referring to it as a "workout." The only difference is that your playing a game while exercising.

"Playing it wrong" doesn't begin to tap the loss of intelligence in this thread.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Speedfreak: And yes, if it gets you out of breath, gets your heart racing and gets your muscles sore it's an exercise.

What an inane conversation.

EDIT: Fuck it, why am I even having this conversation? It's been proven that 30 minutes of Wii Sports a day can help you lose weight, experiments have already proven it.

Fat people walking up stairs makes them out of breath and have sore muscles, but I'm not calling what they do a real workout. Some of them even get ridiculously sweaty. People have sex and get all sweaty and sore, but I don't think that counts either.

Also, losing weight isn't what working out is for, it's to be fit. Losing weight is a result of moving about quickly. I said this before: it's not that you won't get anything out of it, but there is no way in hell it's a workout. It's not like in you're running across the court in Wii tennis or running around the bases in Wii baseball. You swing your arms. That's it. If anything, your arms may get some kind of benefit after a long while, but I don't think Wii Sports is going to do much when it comes to actual cardio.

If anyone here has done a real workout, you can feel the difference between Wii Sports and doing some actual jogging or pushups.

Posted by KoH

This is just stupid as hell... Working out involves exerting energy to the point where you lose fat and build muscle. This is common knowledge. Performing the same thing when playing a video game could easily be considered "working out." Yeah, it's nowhere near as potent as doing an actual workout, but that's not the point.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Fate: If anything, your arms may get some kind of WORK-OUT after a long while

Fix'd

Posted by Zeta

[quote]Also, losing weight isn't what working out is for, it's to be fit.

Hey, guess what? Getting fit includes losing weight.

Posted by Fate

Quoting KoH: This is just stupid as hell... Working out involves exerting energy to the point where you lose fat and build muscle. This is common knowledge. Performing the same thing when playing a video game could easily be considered "working out." Yeah, it's nowhere near as potent as doing an actual workout, but that's not the point.

You don't have to lose fat to build muscle. wtf

And my entire point was that it's not a real workout. You may benefit in some way, yeah, but to call it a workout sounds ridiculous.

Zeta: I don't know if you know how the body works, but being fit doesn't mean losing weight.
:/

Posted by Speedfreak

Becoming more fit means approaching your optimum weight. You cannot be fit and fat. Getting fit for the vast majority of people also means losing weight.

You've left everyone here in awe, wanna borrow my shovel?

Posted by KoH

[quote=Fate;525255]You don't have to lose fat to build muscle. wtf

And my entire point was that it's not a real workout. You may benefit in some way, yeah, but to call it a workout sounds ridiculous.

Zeta: I don't know if you know how the body works, but being fit doesn't mean losing weight. :/

Well, in the case that anyone should say "Yeah I was playing Wii all day yesterday. Talk about a workout!" then yeah, I agree, it's ridiculous and stupid. Just based on the fact that people actually make more of an effort to get in shape by performing harder tasks than what the Wii requires of you to play Wii Sports. However, that's not saying that you don't receive some sort of physical benefit by playing Wii Sports. Simply put, you do.

Posted by Fate

You can be fit and fat, just not overweight. :cookie:

And KoH, that's precisely what I was saying!

Posted by KoH

Well in that case:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Speedfreak: If you have nothing to contribute then bugger off.

Actually, this was my contribution to the thread:

[QUOTE=Big Boss;524169]I sweat a lot when playing Wii Sports... but then I realized I can have more fun and get a better workout by playing real Tennis, so I did.

What? Can't read from top to bottom? I can point out fanboyism and contribute to a thread at the same time! I'm versatile like that. :cookie:

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh, you sure showed me.

Posted by KoH

So is it me or did Wii Boxing only really start getting hard after you got past all the nerdy japanese people and started fighting the badass black men?

Posted by s0ul

No, in fact, it's quite the opposite, it never got hard ever.

Posted by KoH

You know, if you just read your post alone without looking at what it's referring to it comes off sounding completely different.

Just sayin'.