Sega of Europe threatening YTMND

Posted by Zeta

http://xbox360.qj.net/Sega-offended-by-Sonic-toilet-humor/pg/49/aid/79053

[quote]Are you guys familiar with the YTMND site? The acronym stands for "Your'e The Man Now Dog" and is basically a place for members to share toilet jokes and sometimes political humor. Furthermore, the members convey these messages through combining images, text, and (at times) sound effects.

YTMND recently hosted an image of Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends with an accompanying text message describing a sexual act. Sega of Europe, not in the mood for toilet jokes, recently issued a threat to the proprietors of the above mentioned site.

According to Sega of Europe, they want YTMND to cease and desist from displaying of these images. If not, they will have no option but to drag YTMND to court. Well, as it is, Sega has enough problems already concerning the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise (PSP, PS3, Wii, X360).

Instead of paying attention to these guys, maybe it would be wise for them to just spend their time and energy thinking of ways on how to bring back the lost glory days of our dear blue Sonic?

Posted by Sean Fury

What backwards world is this where Sega still has power at all? I suppose they have to try anything to get their funds up.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Sean Fury: What backwards world is this where Sega still has power at all? I suppose they have to try anything to get their funds up.

And Sega of Europe at that! Why is a lower subsidiary doing this? That's what I want to know.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Proto Man: And Sega of Europe at that! Why is a lower subsidiary doing this? That's what I want to know.

Even better a point! Wouldn't SoE have to get permission from Sega in Japan to actually do anything like this? I mean, I'm fairly certain that companies as big as Sega have people that take care of this kind of business for them and all...

Posted by S

Sega of Japan runs the show, I'm not sure how Sega of Europe pulled this one off. Their *** isn't linked to their head, that's pretty much why their systems flunked, unfortunately, as well. That's the same reason PSU failed, I'd sumise.

Posted by lanzer

thank *** someone is getting this story right ive seen bashing sega in general not bashing SOE!
soj = the one and only true SEGA!!!

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Lunairetic: Sega of Japan runs the show, I'm not sure how Sega of Europe pulled this one off. Their *** isn't linked to their head, that's pretty much why their systems flunked, unfortunately, as well. That's the same reason PSU failed, I'd sumise.

Heh, you got that right. That's why the Saturn didn't do as well as it could have. Sega of Japan did stuff that Sega of America didn't know about, AND VISE VERSA! Looks like Sega never really got everything under control yet.

Posted by Linko_16

Pfft. If you don't want people to create sexual images of your videogame characters, don't create any videogames.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Someone rip the rap song a user records in retaliation. It was actually really **** good.

This is it: http://ytmndsega.ytmnsfw.com/?878be55d16c8c08ea3150110ad5ba4e1

Posted by Linko_16

1. Left click, or go into "View" menu.
2. View Source
3. Find file that ends in ".mp3"
4. Copy the URL for that file and use it to download file directly.
5. ???
6. PROFIT.

EDIT - Actually, I just tried this myself and found that the Source wouldn't actually come up. YTMND may forbid this or my computer may be @#$%ed up... and I'm willing to bet it's the latter.

It's easier just to go to page info and grab it from there. I just wasn't using firefox. *shrugs*

Posted by Linko_16

lol got the source to work.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/d/f/8/df8a407f937ed414b36b9ef2440023ac.mp3

I can't say I understand why you'd want this in the first place.

Because it's good and hilarious. And I got it myself ten minutes ago, fag. Thanks anyways.

Posted by Linko_16

Maybe someone else wants it, too, double-fag.

Anyway, one way or another, it seems like there's an ulterior motive here; Sega of EUROPE suddenly targeting YTMND for stuff that's doubtlessly been trafficking the internet for ages? They can't possibly just be after money, or they'd find a way to attack someone with deeper pockets than YTMND... I guess it's possible that they could just be a bunch of tight-wads with delusions of grandeur.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's because the UK has stupid laws that'd make a court case like this remotely viable. They won't win, though. No court would believe someone could actually mistake that for an actual Sega message.

Posted by Apathetic

I hope not. The YTMND they put in place though was enjoyable too.

Posted by Cola308

That article makes YTMND sound like a beavis and butthead cartoon.

Posted by Ant

what a stupid song

oh, and stupid case too.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I was listening to my mp3 player on the way home, and Scat Man came on, and I immediately thought of this. And then I imagined myself in the jury of the court that had to settle this, and laughing my *** off in the chair when the video was shown, while the other eleven members of the jury sat blank-faced. And then in discussion, the ultra-conservative old lady argued for a guilty verdict because it was obscene and shouldn't be allowed.

And I was all 'That's not the issue here! This is clearly parody, when the prosecution are arguing that it could be misconstrued as a Sega message, and it absolutely cannot by a reasonable-thinking person. And quite aside to that, it's hilarious.'

I take my daydreams very seriously.