So, anyone going to buy this?

Posted by sniper

I will probably wait until winter to get one, when it has a chance to make games I enjoy and drops in price. So far I am disappointed in the launch titles. They are numerous, but nothing looks too good to me.

Posted by The Judge

Actually, if I were to buy either, it would probably be the DS because it's cheaper and seems overall better.

Posted by Pit

Quoting The Judge: Actually, if I were to buy either, it would probably be the DS because it's cheaper and seems overall better.

Well, they're both totally different systems, IMO. The DS plans to revolutionize gaming for the handheld market. It utilizes features that are already out on other devices, PDA, microphone, etc, but redefines it. By setting 2 screens, there are many possibilities of what type of games and possibly lead into the creation of new genres.

Now, the PSP, I think, isn't competition to the DS but more competition towards the Game Boy. It really doesn't feature anything groundbreaking. Yes, it has excellent graphics, analog control and added face buttons, mp3 playback, and movie playback. The PSP is more to give you the feel you get in your console right in your pocket so you can take it with you everywhere.

Me, I'm a fan of handhelds. I'll be picking up the system thursday along with some games and I'll give you my review on the system whether it's worth it or not.I've already played the japanese PSP with Metal Gear AC!D (and didn't know what the hell was going on).

Sniper: Yeah dude, I agree. The lack of any new original launch titles is a drag. All the sports games and Darkstalkers are just mere ports. So far, the games I'll be getting are Lumines, Mercury, WipeOut Pure, and possibly Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I have mine on order from EBX, and am really looking forward to getting it as soon as it comes out. Should be a great system!

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Pit: Darkstalkers are just mere ports.

I thought this one was a complete original Darkstalkers, nothing I've heard about the game has said anything about it being a port of an other Darkstalker game.

I may buy the PSP later on, once the price goes down a bit, or maybe get lucky and somebody will grab me a Best Seller bundle from EBGames for Birthday or Holiday or something of that nature.

Games like Lumines, Darkstalkers Chronicles, Untold Legends and Wipeout Pure make me drool, I'm definately looking at those as possible purchases when/if I get the PSP.

So far, it looks like the launch is going to be fairly good, espically with all of the above set for launch or quite near it.

Posted by Al Borland

Unfortunatly, I did not preorder this system. I'm hoping to be able to get one on saturday if EB Games still has them in stock. I'm not too crazy about the forced bundle.
I'd rather not dish out the extra 50-100 bucks for all of the extras that are added in the US release, but if I can find a store that has them I'll definatly buy one.

Posted by Pit

Quoting boomstick: I thought this one was a complete original Darkstalkers, nothing I've heard about the game has said anything about it being a port of an other Darkstalker game.

Nope, it's on Dreamcast. I have it :(

I'll still be getting though, I'm a fan of Capcom fighters and this game is pretty good. Hopefully the control scheme has been ported over identically or really close too... and taking it on the go and facing other people should be fun.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Al Borland: Unfortunatly, I did not preorder this system. I'm hoping to be able to get one on saturday if EB Games still has them in stock. I'm not too crazy about the forced bundle.
I'd rather not dish out the extra 50-100 bucks for all of the extras that are added in the US release, but if I can find a store that has them I'll definatly buy one.

Call around. Best Buy has them too, if that is any consolation.

Posted by Slade

I think I'll wait this out until both systems get more games, then, and only then, shall I make my final decision. It's one or the other- right now I'm leaning towards the PSP because I love the Playstation's overall line-up more than any other system... and theoretically, the PSP's line-up should reflect the same kind of feeling, right? I sure hope so.

Posted by Ant

...walmart sells them first come first serve...so if you get there right when they open...you can get one. In any case, I won't be getting it. Weak selection of games at this point in time and a very high price. Pehaps later on, but I doubt it.

Posted by Apathetic

Can anyone show me the titles for PSP? Im not going to get it but I'm curious what games are for it.

Posted by Bebop

I'll buy one when it's cheaper, they've sorted the battey life and good games come out.

Posted by Shade

Apathetic: Look [URL=http://www.gamespot.com/psp/allgames_a.html]here[/URL].

I might buy this later on in the year when the price drops. $250 for a handheld just seems like a ridiculous amount to me. If it weren't for Darkstalkers, Wipeout Pure, Twisted Metal, and especially Untold Legends, I wouldn't even consider buying one.

Posted by Al Borland

The price is so high because of all the extras. The system on it's own would probably be in the price range of $150-$200.

Posted by Bebop

The system on its own is always cheap. However you need a game and memory card to effectily play it. Thats where the price tolls up.

Posted by Shade

I know that, but it also comes with a bunch of other accessories, that I won't exactly need to effectively play it.

Posted by Al Borland

Such as headphones, a case, and Spiderman 2. If there is one thing I hate its a forced bundle.

Posted by Shade

Yeah, I'd rather buy the case later. The first thing I'd worry about with my PSP is a Memory Stick and Wipeout Pure.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yeah, although I definitely want a PSP, I think I'll wait, as well. At least until the price drops a bit. Untold Legends looks pretty interesting, as do a few other titles. But I never buy consoles upon release, and this won't be an exception.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Shade: I know that, but it also comes with a bunch of other accessories, that I won't exactly need to effectively play it.

Dude, what are you talking about? I heard the PSP Value Pack comes with this sick can opener.

Anyways, yeah, WipEout Pure, memory stick... well, it comes with it, so I don't have to worry about it. I wish I wasn't forced to get Spider-Man 2, headphones, and all that other crap.

Posted by =/g0ri11@\=

The Spider-Man 2 UMD comes free with the first million PSPs sold. And yes, I'm getting one, I have it on reserve at EB.

Posted by sabre

I intend to, but DS is currently of the higher priority. For both, I intend to wait for a drop in price first, so it'll probably be quite a while before I even think of playing one.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Shade: Yeah, I'd rather buy the case later. The first thing I'd worry about with my PSP is a Memory Stick and Wipeout Pure.

Yeh, I'd worry about Wipeout Pure too!

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Spider-Man 2, if it's anything like the home console versions, is worth getting. Don't complain.

Myself, I'm going to wait until the UK release, and pick it up with GTA, Free Running, and Mercury.

Weird how I've come around to the idea.

Posted by Darkbackward

[QUOTE=Wings]Spider-Man 2, if it's anything like the home console versions, is worth getting. Don't complain.
QUOTE]

Spiderman 2 for the DS was a bad game, it had flawed gameplay and control, and was really more of a fart that smells good but still is a fart and goes away fast type of thing. I respect your opinion, however, I don't think the console versions are like the portable versions.

Posted by Pit

"Darkbackward disagrees: I disagree with what you are saying, the psp can play movies and has superior graphics capabilities, to call it not innovative goes against my personal experience with it, thus, I disagree."

Taking movies with you and superior graphics aren't innovative at all. The GBA when it first came out was just more graphical power, it didn't alter gameplay. That goes with the PSP, playing movies and mp3's does not change the game experience in any way, shape, or form. The DS however, changes the way you play games, thus, making it innovative.

Posted by Random

So the PSP hit shelves here yesterday. Their sold out like everywhere... EB Games, Gamestop and all the local department stores are sold out. Just guessing.. the PSP is going to destroy the DS. The DS never sold out anywhere in my town...

Posted by Big Boss

A lot of people from my class alone were carrying PSPs, and when I bought *** of War the handheld was already sold out. This is Orlando, so A LOT of people got it.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Big Boss]There are too many console games I want to play to be bothering with a PSP, or any other handheld right now. I want to play some of the games, like Wipeout, Lumines and MGS: Ac!d, but not more than I want to play *** of War or Resident Evil 4.

Plus, there's the money issue. I just bought a 30" widescreen, HDTV... so I'll just settle for the stuff I have now.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting Darkbackward: [QUOTE=Wings]Spider-Man 2, if it's anything like the home console versions, is worth getting. Don't complain.
QUOTE]

Spiderman 2 for the DS was a bad game, it had flawed gameplay and control, and was really more of a fart that smells good but still is a fart and goes away fast type of thing. I respect your opinion, however, I don't think the console versions are like the portable versions.

My point was the PSP actually has the power to handle a portable version of the console game, whereas the DS one blew like all get out - although I must admit, I haven't actually googled for any PSP Spider-Man 2 shots yet, so I could easily be talking out of my behind.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Hmmm Bebop maybe I shouldn't say Town... More Like a Town surronded by a huge city with 12 other towns around it. It's called Pittsburgh and it's huge in population.

And you searched through this entire 'town' for a PSP and everywhere in this seemingly large town was sold out? And again, your area doesnt reflect everyone elses area.

The DS for example over here was sold out in all video game retailer stores but shops like HMV and Virgin had only sold 5 (my friend bought on from them as the game retailers were sold out. its what they told him)