Puni Puni Poemy

Posted by boomstick

Just..hmm, how to describe this...well, I guess just pure stupid. Yeah, I think that's an accurate way of describing it. Well, basically, I heard that this was done by the same people behind Excel Saga, which I enjoyed mostly because of the wacky and fairly out of there humor.

Well, Puni Puni pretty much takes that to a new level of wackiness and smashing the fourth wall all to pieces. Anyway, it was alright, not quite like Excel Saga level, but if there were more of it then maybe the possible, the whole series is only two 30-minute long episodes.

Well, the bottom line is if you enjoyed stuff like Excel Saga, check it out, not quite as good but very similar type of thing. Oh, and be warned, this is far more adult then Excel Saga, definitely not something for kiddies, alot of sexual gags and underage lesbianism.

Posted by Average n00b

XD I saw this when I was like..11 or 12. Yeah, my brother's friend brought it. I didn't know much about anime and when my brother said it was like Sailor Moon(As a joke) I told my mum, she let me watch it. Part of my history of me being perverted.

Yes, I liked this anime, I want to see it again.

Posted by Phantasma2

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THIS!?

Heh, Gonna get some torrents now. I just NEED to see this.

Posted by Average n00b

You should, it's HILARIOUS. I haven't seen it in so long, but I remember that the girl kept on calling a dude "Director" was it her dad? Eh *Shrug* Oh, and I remember the fish was a weapon. xD

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Average n00b: You should, it's HILARIOUS. I haven't seen it in so long, but I remember that the girl kept on calling a dude "Director" was it her dad? Eh *Shrug* Oh, and I remember the fish was a weapon. xD

Yeah, it was suppose to be her adopted father, Nabeshin. As far as her calling him Director, he is basically the alter ego of the actual director, Shinichi Watanabe. He did it in Excel Saga, parodying directors who often put themselves in their movies to make themselves look cool. After that, the character became popular and the ultimate breaking of the fourth wall, and he does it in all his work I think.

Posted by Phantasma2

Nabeshin? AFRO!?

Jesus christ this is win.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I would recommend Nurse Witch Komugi before Poemy. Better writing, better characters, better animation, and a great "back-story" in Soultaker. Certainly nothing comes close to Excel Saga, but Komugi is frickin' hilarious. Like how all of the villainess's attacks include a horrific string of profanity (which is bleeped out on purpose for effect). Or the giant robot Big Saitron (and its accompanying theme song), which is actually a real convention center in Japan.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Puni Puni Poemi was ok, just insane, random & perverted humor.

I think having it 2 episodes was good, because it would of got stupid after all that funny nonsense.

Anyone who enjoyed Excel Saga would dig this.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Tiptoegecko: Puni Puni Poemi was ok, just insane, random & perverted humor.

I think having it 2 episodes was good, because it would of got stupid after all that funny nonsense.

Anyone who enjoyed Excel Saga would dig this.

Well, Excel Saga was extremely similar and was a full 26 episode series and I never felt it dragged on too much personally.

If they styled the series more like the Excel Saga setup, Puni Puni could've been just as good, IMO

Posted by Arczu

Quoting Prince Shondronai: I would recommend Nurse Witch Komugi before Poemy. Better writing, better characters, better animation, and a great "back-story" in Soultaker.

Oh how I'd love to watch this... if only I knew where that was possible...

Quoting "boomstick": Well, Excel Saga was extremely similar and was a full 26 episode series and I never felt it dragged on too much personally.

If they styled the series more like the Excel Saga setup, Puni Puni could've been just as good, IMO

Well this one did have somewhat the explosive style of Excel Saga. There was a preview of this IN that series actually (can't remember which episode), but that "uselessly energetic" characteristic, it certainly exists in both characters.

I did have a lol-o-thon with this one though. Good gracious it's crazy.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Prince Shondronai: I would recommend Nurse Witch Komugi before Poemy. Better writing, better characters, better animation, and a great "back-story" in Soultaker. Certainly nothing comes close to Excel Saga, but Komugi is frickin' hilarious. Like how all of the villainess's attacks include a horrific string of profanity (which is bleeped out on purpose for effect). Or the giant robot Big Saitron (and its accompanying theme song), which is actually a real convention center in Japan.

Komugi is freaking awesome <333

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Arczu:

[font=Times New Roman]Well this one did have somewhat the explosive style of Excel Saga. There was a preview of this IN that series actually (can't remember which episode), but that "uselessly energetic" characteristic, it certainly exists in both characters.

I did have a lol-o-thon with this one though. Good gracious it's crazy.

Yeah, Puni Puni is highly molded after Excel Saga, the types of humor are very much the same

Posted by Dexter

Watched it. Two episodes just wasn't enough. It went by so quickly. Such an energetic, perky, fast-paced anime. And Cynthia Martinez!!!? My Sora Naeghiro! Can't get enough of her voice. It has become the most recognizable voice in anime for me. She's in so much that I've seen lately. Kino's Journey, Kaleido Star, etc. And I was so excited because she was in a bunch of the bonus features!

Some of the dialogue went by so fast, I kept rewinding it to catch it.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

I forgot something...was it Poemi or Excel (maybe both) that could rotate their head all of the way around? That part was kinda Creepy...in a good way tho.

Posted by Dexter

I don't remember that in Poemi, so it must have been Excel. Or maybe I forgot. I should watch Excel.