Woman Dies in Wii Contest

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/13/woman-dies-of-water-intoxication-after-radio-contest/

Beat that, fanboys.

Posted by Zeta

Idiotic fanboy rebuttal: At least it wasn't a murder, like with the PS3.

Though now that I think about, would someone dying via water intoxication might be more pathetic than murder.

Posted by Sean Fury

How the hell do you die from not taking a ****? Children do it involuntarily when they have to, I'm pretty sure if you're going to die from it, your body is going to take control and make you pee yourself.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Wii kills.

Confirmed.

Posted by veritas

you would think they would have medical staff nearby. Oh well Radio stations aren't that smart. No need for a lawsuit cause I hope they had the contestants sign a release.

Posted by Degeneration

They should just send a Wii to her kids. This doesn't have to be a lose-lose situation, right?

Posted by Dexter

Medical staff? No way. I used to work for a radio station and we did crazy things all the time that would get us in trouble.

I really don't think this is possible.

And when people die, they release stuff in their body, usually peeing and all, so she probably lost.

Quoted post: you would think they would have medical staff nearby. Oh well Radio stations aren't that smart. No need for a lawsuit cause I hope they had the contestants sign a release.

... why? Not only that, but what good is it going to do if you're at home?

Posted by Ant

It's over. Nintendo's finished.

Posted by protomanv4

I don't think so but I think that was a bad contest. Hope the family is ok.

No, I think Ant is right. This spells gloom and doom for Nintendo.

Posted by Linkman

Yeah, Sean's right for once. You'd think eventually your body would take control over your mind and will and make you **** yourself. Either way, this is just another page in the book titled "Why Nintendo Can't Be Number 1"

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: No, I think Ant is right. This spells gloom and doom for Nintendo.

A grim end for Nintendo?

Posted by solarphoenix990

I really dont see why it would spell doom and gloom for nintendo, unless nintendo was hosting the event because it should spell doom and gloom for the person/people hosting the event. (im saying this out of the fact that i have dial-up internet and could not watch the video because it would have taken forever to load, so if it was nintendo hosting the event, then it would in fact spell doom and gloom for nintendo)

Posted by Linkman

Nope, and they're only being sarcastic. You'd better get an eye for sarcasm, because there's a lot of it here.

Posted by Dexter

No, seriously, the Wii is like Samara's video. Freaky creepy scary stuff. People need to start taking this stuff seriously before they die.

Posted by Speedfreak

You can die from water intoxication very easily, it's what will kill you most of the time when you're on ecstacy.

Posted by ccrocker58

Ahahaha...anyone get the name of that radio station? "The End". Gotta love irony!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

There was no way to CONSOLE her family.

bwhahahahhahaha

Posted by Zeta

So ten staff members got fired, and there's gonna be some criminal investigations now.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164325.html

Just because a stupid ***** couldn't hold her liquids? Christ.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

This sounds like a job for Jack Thompson!

:cool:

Posted by Aioros

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16687211/

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yikes. I feel bad for that lady, the people in charge of running the contest are definitely at fault here. Lawsuits are sure to follow. See what happens when you hold your wee for a Wii?[/COLOR]

Posted by Arcadios

Thread already made.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Linkman: Either way, this is just another page in the book titled "Why Nintendo Can't Be Number 1"

Lol. Number 1.

Anyway, like Speed said, it's not the fact that you aren't peeing that'll get you... it's that you're drinking way too much water.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Ant: It's over. Nintendo's finished.

Uh no? The radio station is finished. The Wii had nothing to do with it. Retards couldnt get her a good glass of water.

Quoting The X: This sounds like a job for Jack Thompson!

:cool:

Oh christ XD

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Tiptoegecko: Uh no? The radio station is finished. The Wii had nothing to do with it. Retards couldnt get her a good glass of water.

"It's over; ______s finished" is an internet joke... He wasn't serious.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Zeta: "It's over; ______s finished" is an internet joke... He wasn't serious.

oh....

uh....

[IMG]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3045/hijackthreadda8.jpg[/IMG]

It's over. Tiptoegeckos are finished.

Posted by ccrocker58

You know, according to IGN, they joked that someone could die from drinking too much water, and a listener even called and warned of water intoxication, and the competition employees said "We know, they signed releases, we aren't responsible."

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Just because a stupid ***** couldn't hold her liquids? Christ.

No, she could. That's the whole point.

Posted by Gargomon251

It's called hyponatremia. They warned us about this in basic military training. Something about the electrolytes in your blood becoming too diluted.

Stupid for the people who died, AND the place that held the contest. They signed waivers, did they not read them?

Posted by Angerion the Brave

The contest runners ARE jerks, yes, they obviously knew about the dangers in drinking that much water (I mean common, it's taught in high school psychology courses), but as for them being at fault... as great as it would be to just stamp it on some outside source, it was ultimately the fault of the individual.

Water madness causes halusinations in the higher stages before just before death and the sheer trauma it causes to your bodies internal functions is noticable well before that by the person consumning the water.

She didn't have a gun to her head, her pet dog wasn't being held hostage, She willingly supressed bodily defencive reflexes and ignored the pain of those signals and kept drinking until it killed her. So the real villain here was common everyday human greed.

PS

Quoting Gargomon251: Stupid for the people who died, AND the place that held the contest. They signed waivers, did they not read them?
They were stupid enough to think that a concept as simple as a "water drinking contest" was going to be worth a radio stations time and money in buying the Wii for them to win. AKA: I doubt they had the brain cells required for the higher human art of reading.

Hey, maybe Sony owned the station and set up the contest so that at the end of the year during the reviews, the fact that their fans got shot at trying to get a PS3 wouldn't be as "bad" as having a girl die in a contest to win a Wii?:D

Quoted post: No, she could. That's the whole point.

British wit.

No, fact. :) But thanks!

When I say hold, I don't actually mean to hold inside of you, rather, she couldn't handle it :cookie:

You should have clarified that, eh.

It's a saying, eh?

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: British wit.

Well, half of it anyway

Posted by ccrocker58

Quoting Angerion the Brave: ...I mean common, it's taught in high school psychology courses...

You had Psychology in High School? And they tought you about the health hazards of drinking too much water in it?

Surprising, since they obviously didn't teach him the difference between "common" or "come on."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-MBtZXpjY

Audio from the event. This is actually really disturbing.

Posted by Degeneration

Could they have taken a life-and-death situation any less seriously?

Posted by KoH

That actually happened an hour from where I live. I listened to the radio station as soon as I heard but didn't catch anything, sadly.

Edit: So I just listened to it, via Wings' link, and all I have to say is "wow." I am glad though to read in the vid's comments that the station as well as the djs might be getting sued. They were absolute morons for listening to a certified nurse tell them that there was a chance that somone could die and respond to that by scoffing.

She was a ****ing mother of 3. I truly hope those DJs and the entire station get the worst possible punishment.