Extended warranty?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I rang Xbox customer support earlier today and since my original year-long warranty ends next month he told me that I should consider extending it. It'd cost me £30 for a year or £60 for two, apparently (what a saving!), but when I asked how much it would cost to fix a broken machine outside of the warranty he said it could be up to £80, so now I've got a decision to make.

I've cleared the cache on my hard drive and games seem to be running a lot smoother now, but I'm still worried about it failing, as 360s are wont to do. It was bought in February but apparently the warranty lasts until March 23rd, so I've got two months to decide what I'm going to do. Based on everybody else's experience, what should I do?

Incidentally, two of the three times I've called Xbox Support here in Britain (although really in India, of course), they've been really good - fast answering time, friendly manner, and fairly knowledgeable. I would recommend them.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Get the warranty. A friend of mine's 360 was irretrievably broken due to a hardware fault in October-ish, and he had to shell out for an entirely new console, as it was outside of warranty. You have to remember the 360 could die completely to the point where it can't be repaired.

Ah, but that would make it a launch console. Mine was manufactured in February, so I'm slightly more convinced of its stability.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I've had mine since launch and haven't had a single problem =/ The red circle of doom isn't that common. At all.

Posted by s0ul

Like ****ing hell it isn't. I've had to get mine replaced twice and this third one I'm on still freezes all the time in Gears.

How does that make it common? idk

Posted by s0ul

The chances of one guy getting two in a year aren't terribly high. :-\

no, but that doesn't make it common or a wide-spread problem. It has always been a very vocal, small minority.

Posted by Moogs

My 360 hasn't messed up since I bought it. And I got it at launch, so I wouldn't get it.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;520618]no, but that doesn't make it common or a wide-spread problem. It has always been a very vocal, small minority.And we all know that Soul is a vocal minority!:p:

Get the Warranty. While you're at it, update to Vista. And buy a new PC with XP, then update it to Vista. As a matter of fact, buy as many Microsoft products as possible.

I actually get Vista for free.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Wings: I actually get Vista for free.

Same here - though how many advantages does having Vista present, in relation to the XBox 360? I currently have XP Media Center on my laptop, and I know it can sync up media with the 360, but what sort of crazy techno-jizz can Vista spill on the 'box?

Nothing much more than Media Center can do, afaik.

Posted by hypnotize_

You guys have really had consoles that have broken before? I've never had a defective console before, so I never bother to get warrenties.

Posted by Reachel

Well, I personally don't know if I would go to the Xbox Customer Service, since the place sent me the wrong xbox the first time I sent it in for breaking...yes I did get somebodies other xbox when I treid to regester it and it said it was already, and the thing had a cowboy backround so it bothered me ><. So I was scared of sending it in and all that junk since I could get charged with stealing regaurdless of it being sent to me, they would have said to send it right back but i didn't knwo where mine went. Anyway, I haven'th ad a good run in with the customer service here in america, but from what happened I don't really want to go back and I pray that nothign happens which with the 360's mishapes it might. Hopefully hopefully...microsoft has made a system which doesn't need constent updates like their software on CPU's (I know xbox live sends out daily or even monthly updates but I mean ones that don't destroy your system...well a second time...I heard about the fall update >.>;;)

So it broke before the warranty ran out, so that's all well and good.