Sounds Like

Posted by Auto Rock

I have been getting into music a lot lately and have been trying to find new bands to listen to because of my outdated collection. Can anyone recommend me music that sounds like Mogwai. I love the instrumental stuff they make. Can you also give me some bands that sound like Rise Against, Aesop Rock, and Sage Francis. Or if you have any bands that you think I should give a try besides hard metal and popish stuff :) Thanks.

Posted by Omni

I recommend Muse as one of the bands you should check out. They're a nifty little alternative rock outfit I've just started listening to. A lot of other people having been giving them a chance, too. They're pretty popular.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Just read "instrumentals" and nothing else so:

Mono
Red Sparrowes
A Silver Mt. Zion
Explosions in the Sky
G[COLOR="White"]od[/COLOR] is an Astronaut
65daysofstatic
Do Make Say Think

and so on. About as good as you get instrumental-wise.

Posted by Shade

Well, iTunes keeps recommending me Mogwai when I listen to Porcupine Tree, so give them a shot.

Posted by Hyper

Seconded Muse. And I'll recommend Porcupine Tree since Shade didn't directly. :mad:

Posted by Auto Rock

Porcupine Tree was alright but didn't do much for me. I liked the beginning of a lot of thier songs but it started to wear off towards the end. Any others?

Posted by Hyper

dredg, Oceansize.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Mogwai and Sigur Ros are the creme de la creme, in my experience. Mogwai bring power to Scotland! :cool:

Oh, if Mogwai is comparable to Sigur Ros, check out every band I listed.

Posted by brownoystercult

[url]www.pandora.com[/url]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Oh, if Mogwai is comparable to Sigur Ros, check out every band I listed.

Sigur Ros are a little more mellow than Mogwai, but they do have a lot of similiarities.

Posted by Alastor

I recently heard a couple of songs from a band called Stereophonic that sounds a fair bit like Muse, so check them out if you're interested. Like a BritPop/BritRock group, I guess.

I heartily recommend Machinae Supremacy if you're into... alternative/Industrial metal, I guess. Lots of video game-y sounds thrown in, too.

Posted by Auto Rock

Vamp... Explosions In The Sky is amazing, just the stuff I was looking for. I tried some Muse and it just wasn't for me. The other stuff Vamp listed I could not find on Limewire for some reason. I will give that band a try out in the next couple of days Alstor.

Posted by Alastor

Might be best to look on their [url=www.machinaesupremacy.com]website[/url] instead of Limewire. Some results come up, but they're still a fairly obscure band. Getting downloads would be easier from the site. Click Releases, then click Webography. Three good songs to start with are Hero, Legion of Stoopid and Attack Music. If you check on the Album release page, you can get a few songs from their two studio albums.

Edit: Player One, on the "Deus Ex Machinae" album page, is also worth checking out.

Quoted post: Vamp... Explosions In The Sky is amazing, just the stuff I was looking for. I tried some Muse and it just wasn't for me. The other stuff Vamp listed I could not find on Limewire for some reason. I will give that band a try out in the next couple of days Alstor.

Look for "***speed You! Black Emperor" then. You'll find them. Also, if you have AIMSN, you can add me and I'll send you some stuff.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

muse is for fags.

seconded with vamp on silver mt zion.

also, check out shalabi effect. if you like that, venture further into that territory with black dice.

Posted by Arwon

If you like Explosions in the Sky, give Decoder Ring a try, particularly the song 'Welcome Shoppers'. It's a little more electronicy than EitS but some of their stuff has a similar "post rock" (what an awesomely meaningless term) epic "build bombast crash" sort of vibe to it.

And if you like Decoder Ring give Efterklang a go. It's probably more "electronicy" than Decoder while still having the post-rock sound.