Subliminal Messages

Posted by veritas

Yea our class was talking about subliminal messages. I just wanna know what subliminal messages have you heard of or seen Ex. Penis on original Little mermaid VHS cover.

Posted by junior senior

the naked woman in the window in The Rescuers
Sex in the stars in the Lion King
the man with an erection on the Camel Cigarette box

Posted by veritas

here are some more i know

something about stairway to heaven backwards at the last part of it
skull and crossbones on beer advertisments(in bubbles or ice)
ghost in 3 men and a baby
Quick shot of Demon guy in the Exorcist
Chicken's head getting cut off in willy wonka(when they're on the boat thing)the original one

Posted by NEMI

[COLOR=PINK] You've hit in one of my favorite departments!!!
I have heard songs with lots of these messages, all talking about the devil and that "we" should worship him, sex, curses, you name it. I took a conference when I was in 12th grade. That guy showed us some ads with strong sexual meaning. I.E.: A piece of bread in form of a penis and a vagina in the sexual act. Another one: it was an ad of a bottled beer: it was a couple in a party, in the dancing floor; actually both had a bottled beer in their hands, the boy had such a pleaseant face, the girl had the beer near his pants. Actually they made it look like she was holding the bottle when she was really masturbating him. There are also others to tell but, I'll never finish.[/color]

Posted by Ant

I remember seeing a commercial for what I think was a Sony product, and twice during the commercial I saw what looked like a full paragraph which was of course not possible to read. Sadly, I've never seen the commercial again. Anyone else know about this?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

yvan eht nioj

Seriously, though, the most messed up one I've ever seen was for Starburst, which basically implied that if you ate them, you would become a master kisser and could tie cherry stalks with your tongue.

Posted by junior senior

there's a lot of messages in Stairway To Heaven, I know several Led Zeppelin songs with them

Britney Spears' Toxic was one I believe, don't know the message for it though

wasn't something posted here about the psp having the apple logo?

Posted by Zeta

In FF6, there's a bunch of subliminal messages pointing to Gogo being Adlai Stevenson.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Remembered another one.

Just after Star Wars was released in 1977, a trading card game relating to the film was released. One of the artists, who was initially unaware his contract only lastest the period of the card production, later learned about his imminent sacking, got p*ssed off, and drew a subliminal penis on the chestplate of C-3P0's card. Said cards are now worth upwards of $Infinity at auction.

Posted by veritas

Ok heres another one. Supposivly on the song called "Rollercoaster" if you listen carefully to the one part, you can hear a faint scream coming from a girl. The story about it was there was some girl, I think she was a model. And she had her knees on what was supposivly glass. It was actually fiberglass and she was pouring honey all over her which made the fiberglass stick to her knees. IT ripped the skin off her knees ending her modling career. She said she was gonna sue them, but the one producer stabbed her outside the studio and they purposly kept it in.

Posted by Linko_16

90% of these so-called hidden messages are totally made up.

[url=http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/hidden.asp]In Music[/url]
[url=http://www.snopes.com/disney/disney.asp]In Disney[/url]

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Hate to break it to you, but almost everything posted in this thread isn't technically a subliminal message. A good example is that the penises on the turrets of the castle in the Little Mermaid are technically secrets put there by the animators, not actually messages trying to implant something in your brain. Songs played backwards are only able to reveal the message when played backwards, and are not coherent when played forwards, and therefore can't be a subliminal message.

In order to be a true subliminal message, there has to be both a clear intention and very careful engineering in order to make it happen. The msot obvious example is the FedEx logo, in which the gap between the E and X make a forwards-pointing arrow.

This triggers strong feelings of power and that the company is fast and effective. Arrows are used a lot on logo design - look at Amazon's.

Nice use of an arrow there - but what you probably didn't notice is that it's also indicative of a smiley face. Use this company and you'll be happy, it says.

Posted by Omni

If you're aware of the presence of a subliminal message, is it reasonable to assume that you won't be affected by it? I think that sounds about right.

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: If you're aware of the presence of a subliminal message, is it reasonable to assume that you won't be affected by it? I think that sounds about right.

If that was the case, then general commercials and advertisements wouldn't work.
Well when I say aware of it, I mean that you see it but don't understand it. If you don't actually see the image, even for a split second, then you won't be affected.

I went to see Derren Brown, an illusionist, a while ago. He showed a subliminal montage. In there was the masthead for the Daily Mail. I didn't see it at all, and when the time came for him to ask a member of the audience to pick a newspaper, I would have said the Guardian because it's the one I read. A friend of mine saw the image and was able to recognise it, and so understood the illusion. The actual audience member who participated was somewhere between the two - he remembered seeing the general shape but not the detail - his brain recorded it, but he was still aware of having seen something.

It works on curiosity, mainly - you have seen the image and you want to work it out - therefore it stays longer in your temporary memory, if only for a split second. That means it has a greater chance of being stored in long-term memory. If you see an advert, you realise what it is and dismiss it more often than not, removing it from your short-term memory.

Posted by Omni

I meant that since I know about that arrow in the FedEx logo and what it's supposed to do, I'm most likely not going to fall for it subconsciously, right?

You know, since I know what it is, it can't really trick me. Unless I'm really stupid.

That's a difficult one, but now that you know it exists, you're more likely to think of FedEx as being innovative. 'Oh, that's the company with the arrow placed in their name.'

Posted by veritas

OK ok heres one. In movie theaters when you have the crappy advertisments for their food stands, every so often theres a message that pops up for not even a second that says "buy popcorn " or "buy our soda"

Posted by Trigger

I've seen an alcohol advertisement of a spirit drink, on the rocks but the ice seemingly spelled the word "sex" in the light reflections of the three cubes. I don't care much about the validity of what I saw, but it seems logical to say that sex sells alcohol and that if you drink some, you'll get sex.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting 2fast4u:
ghost in 3 men and a baby

No and even if it was whats the message behind that

Posted by Linko_16

Oh Lord, and just think of how many people have died since the release of that movie. It was clearly successful.

Posted by x.r0wney.x

that song by hinder. what a message to send to kids "GO HOME, GET STONED" lol

Posted by Pit

I always thought a subliminal message was supposed to give you n impulse, to do or get something.

Like in 20 days later, everything is destroyed by zombies and the guy wakes up and then there's this vending machine, pepsi or coke, I forgot, but afterwards i wanted a pepsi or a coke.

I mean a ghost and 3 dead kids, isn't gonna make you go kill s something. It represents something. Just like usually a flock of birds in a book or movie symbolizes death, that isn't much of a subliminal message. I mean if all symbolic things were subliminal messages then, I don't know.

I'll stay out of this one

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Like in 20 days later, everything is destroyed by zombies and the guy wakes up and then there's this vending machine, pepsi or coke, I forgot, but afterwards i wanted a pepsi or a coke.

That's product placement. Which I guess could, more or less, be the same depending.

Oh, and 28*

Posted by bazariah

check this out:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/bazariah/mmtbook8.jpg[/IMG]

same image rotated 90 degrees, and squint at it

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/bazariah/mmtbook9.jpg[/IMG]

it's even more suprising when i tell you that this image came from page 8 of the beatles magical mystery tour album book

Posted by WackoHater2

I don't see it...

Posted by bazariah

Quoting Panic: I don't see it...

lean back and close your eyes to about half way

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting bazariah: lean back and close your eyes to about half way

I had only scrolled down to the first picture and read your post far too quickly, so I was trying to squint at the first one, wondering what it was supposed to be. Still squinting, I decided to forget about it and started to scroll down. Saw the second one all of a sudden and almost jumped out of my socks.

Posted by Trigger

I love the [URL="http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhomepages.tesco.net%2Fharbfamily%2Fopd%2Findex.html&ei=8h20RfGZLpPSgQPTgtVv&usg=___ntvaW2QyBzaluK_84SrVvjcxUw=&sig2=15JQbSPV-EvpIvIEOBN6rw"]Paul McCartney death conspiracy[/URL]. It's highly amusing, people will believe anything!

Posted by Auto Rock

I can't see what is in the picture that Baz posted. What is it suppose to be?

I see something... but I have no idea what it's supposed to be.

As far as I can see, it's just a skull on the left.

Yeah, I could see a face-like object on the left, but something else on the right. All I could think of was Canti from FLCL holding a skull.

Posted by Trigger

The image that he posted is part of the Paul McCartney death conspiracy where people believed that he was involved in a serious car accident with a yellow lorry in the early morning of Wednesday at 5 o'clock and supposedly died. Instead of the Beatles informing the world that McCartney died, they allegedly had a look-a-like contest to find someone that looked strikingly like Paul to replace him in the band without anyone noticing. They found someone and, with a bit of plastic surgery, managed to look identically like Paul McCartney except for the scar left on his lip from the surgery

The image is supposed to be a smashed skull, which is supposed to represent Paul McCartney at the time of the accident. There is nothing else of "relevance" in that photo. Visit the link I posted for more information about the conspiracy and to read the entire story. You'll eventually stumble across that image again if you choose to browse through the "death conspiracy" clues. I spent the entire day reading that website casually yesterday and found it to be a rather interesting and amusing read, particularly to pass some time.

Posted by WackoHater2

There is a whole site with some cool ones, although most of them are optical illusions. I'll post a link if I can find it.

[url=http://www.subliminalmessages.com/]The link.[/url]

Posted by bazariah

Quoting Trigger: The image that he posted is part of the Paul McCartney death conspiracy where people believed that he was involved in a serious car accident with a yellow lorry in the early morning of Wednesday at 5 o'clock and supposedly died. Instead of the Beatles informing the world that McCartney died, they allegedly had a look-a-like contest to find someone that looked strikingly like Paul to replace him in the band without anyone noticing. They found someone and, with a bit of plastic surgery, managed to look identically like Paul McCartney except for the scar left on his lip from the surgery

The image is supposed to be a smashed skull, which is supposed to represent Paul McCartney at the time of the accident. There is nothing else of "relevance" in that photo. Visit the link I posted for more information about the conspiracy and to read the entire story. You'll eventually stumble across that image again if you choose to browse through the "death conspiracy" clues. I spent the entire day reading that website casually yesterday and found it to be a rather interesting and amusing read, particularly to pass some time.

thanks for filling everybody in on that one, you explained the whole scenario better than i ever could

agreed about it being a good site to pass the time....

the beatles were all about having a laugh and joking with the fans heads, and i dont think paul is dead

allthough if he suddenly croaked and ringo came forward with the whole story with factual evidence i'd be more than a little suprised

Posted by Trigger

I don't particularly believe that Paul McCartney died, either; he did have a car accident, but it wasn't fatal and he didn't die. You're right, the Beatles did have a mysterious sense of humor and it would not surprise me at all if they thought it would be a great laugh to mess with people's minds. Even if nothing did happen, the "clues" they created are definitely strange ones to pick, yet highly amusing.

Posted by bazariah

Quoting Trigger: I don't particularly believe that Paul McCartney died, either; he did have a car accident, but it wasn't fatal and he didn't die. You're right, the Beatles did have a mysterious sense of humor and it would not surprise me at all if they thought it would be a great laugh to mess with people's minds. Even if nothing did happen, the "clues" they created are definitely strange ones to pick, yet highly amusing.

and definetly smart in how they managed to tie everything in together, to make people 40 years on realy think about the situations at hand.. and furthermore actually believe in it all.. a lot of it is just pure coincidence

i heard it was a moped accident, though i could be mistaken

Posted by Trigger

I don't think I ever heard what type of car accident it was that he really was involved in. *holds a hand above your head*

Turn me on, dead man.

Posted by Malevolence

I actually thought it was John Lennon. :cool:

Posted by Trigger

The skull, or the death conspiracy? John Lennon was really murdered.

Posted by Malevolence

The "skull". I figured it was him because of the eyes looking like black glasses.