Lots of people say PS3 copied Wii's motion sensor

Posted by solarphoenix990

I'm hearing alot of things about the PS3 and people saying that they stole nintendo's motion sensor design and incorperating it into their own systems controlers. People are also saying that Sony should think of a more original thing to do for their own system, i think they should have kept the "boomerang" style controler myself because it looked completely new and original, but thats just me. Comment on this topic :)

Posted by punkrock212

your not the only one that thinks that the ps3 controller should of stayed with the "boomerang" controller. I think that too, but it doesn't really matter to me right now because i won't be able to buy a ps3 until prices go down...alot...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I thought this thread was going to go somewhere...

Anywho, both current and previous designs were garbage. That is all.

Posted by Random

I'd also like to note that the controller Layout of the PS3 is similar that of the 360. The PS3 now uses two triggers (Like the 360 does) and even has a button placed in the middle with the playstation symbol (much like that of the 360 with the XBox symbol). The button layout is the exact same with the exception of the analog sticks which are still inward (which sucks terribly).

They stole the motion sensor from Nintendo and the Controller Layout from Microsoft.. Good job Sony! Glad you could make your own crap.

Posted by Degeneration

They took out rumble and added the motion sensor. They took a step backward and a step forward there. It's also wireless! Step forward again! But the new L2 and R2 buttons suck like a midget hooker. Well, that cancels that out. Back to Point A. Maybe next time.

On the positive side, at least they tried to think outside the box this time. The Dual Shock 2 is just a black PS1 controller with pressure-sensitive buttons. By their standards, the Sixaxis is revolutionary.

And the boomerang was goofy. The prototype was neat to look at, but that's where the praise has to stop. Let's not kid ourselves into believing that originality is always for the best.

Posted by higbvuyb

The wireless is a step backwards, really. Because it means that they 'took away' the option of a wired controller. The controller's ergonomics is also crap.

Anyway, Sony didn't copy the motion sensor off Nintendo. They're too stupid to copy something off Nintendo, it's to complex for them. They had to use a tilt sensor, which is a vastly inferior method of controlling.

Quoted post: The button layout is the exact same with the exception of the analog sticks which are still inward (which sucks terribly).

Which is where it all falls horribly apart. Oh, and the weight is completely off. Lack of force-feedback. Actually feel of the controller. And the triggers themselves need a bit of an improvement.

Quoted post: Because it means that they 'took away' the option of a wired controller.

What's up, USB ports?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Random]I'd also like to note that the controller Layout of the PS3 is similar that of the 360. The PS3 now uses two triggers (Like the 360 does) and even has a button placed in the middle with the playstation symbol (much like that of the 360 with the XBox symbol). The button layout is the exact same with the exception of the analog sticks which are still inward (which sucks terribly).

They stole the motion sensor from Nintendo and the Controller Layout from Microsoft.. Good job Sony! Glad you could make your own crap.

I'd like to note that the layout of SIXAXIS it similar to Dual Shock 2, which is similar to Dual Shock, which is similar to SNES. All 3 Sony controllers had dual shoulder buttons/triggers (a Nintendo invention), a menu button is too obvious an idea for all three systems to be considered some kind of IP for Microsoft, they all feature substantial operating systems that should be accessed at any time. It's too obvious and there's no other way to do it other than a button.

I genuinely believe Sony had the motion control cooking for a while, just as a kind of "this might be neat" idea rather than something that'd be implimented as standard. Chances are they decided to include it into the controller when they saw Wii, and to offset the lack of rumble, which explains why 3rd parties didn't know about it until it was too late. Microsoft copied Sony with their controller, and SNES indirectly, but took the logical step of prioritising the analog stick because Nintendo proved it would be used for most games with the N64. Microsoft have added relatively little to controllers. Analog buttons might've been a nice idea to their name if Nintendo didn't come out with it at the same time, only better.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Speedfreak: Microsoft copied Sony with their controller, and SNES indirectly, but took the logical step of prioritising the analog stick because Nintendo proved it would be used for most games with the N64. Microsoft have added relatively little to controllers. Analog buttons might've been a nice idea to their name if Nintendo didn't come out with it at the same time, only better.

Actually, Microsoft copied Sega's design:

[IMG]http://www.seganet.com.br/images/full_dreamcast_controller.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000C7GH4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/IMG]

And then there is the back, both controllers have the trigger thing going on, which I actually think is pretty cool, and am glad MS did that since Sega doesn't make consoles anymore.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Again, Proto, you have to realize that the "originator" of the design was Nintendo, with the SNES. The triggers were also known as "R" and "L" back then, and later, "Z" on the N64.

When it comes to a controller, there's very little they can do to make it original and "fresh." It's a controller, for hell's sake. Making something new and innovative is rather difficult without taking huge risks, as Nintendo did (and often does). But to say Sony copied Nintendo this generation? You'll have to do quite a bit of a stretch.

Don't forget: a lot of the time, new isn't always good for controllers. For example: I hate the GCN controller. The awkward y-shape of the buttons, combined with the octagon on the C-Stick, make for a gaming experience I do not enjoy. The only reason I like the Xbox controller over the PS2's is because of the joysticks being indented and therefore much more comfortable for me.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Skitzo Control: Again, Proto, you have to realize that the "originator" of the design was Nintendo, with the SNES. The triggers were also known as "R" and "L" back then, and later, "Z" on the N64.

Oh I know Nintendo was the originator of a lot of the stuff we have on today's controllers. Although in the Dreamcast's case, those triggers were somewhat original. What you are reffering are SHOULDER buttons R & L. Z was a trigger type button, but Sega took trigger buttons a step further and made them more "springy".

EDIT: Actually, those triggers were introduced with the analogue controller that came with Nights Into Dreams.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Skitzo Control]Again, Proto, you have to realize that the "originator" of the design was Nintendo, with the SNES. The triggers were also known as "R" and "L" back then, and later, "Z" on the N64.

When it comes to a controller, there's very little they can do to make it original and "fresh." It's a controller, for hell's sake. Making something new and innovative is rather difficult without taking huge risks, as Nintendo did (and often does). But to say Sony copied Nintendo this generation? You'll have to do quite a bit of a stretch.

Don't forget: a lot of the time, new isn't always good for controllers. For example: I hate the GCN controller. The awkward y-shape of the buttons, combined with the octagon on the C-Stick, make for a gaming experience I do not enjoy. The only reason I like the Xbox controller over the PS2's is because of the joysticks being indented and therefore much more comfortable for me.
And how often do you actually use the C-stick for something other than camera control? Most of my GC games use it sparingly, as it was designed to be used. The reason it's so stubby is so you can switch between face buttons and the c-stick easily. The kidney buttons also have a significant advantage, it's easier to hold A and press B, X or Y aswell, which most games will want you to do. For instance, on Extreme-G 3 on GC you could accelerate, boost and fire with A, X and Y. On the PS2 pad it was impossible, because you'd have to press X, Circle and Square.

Regardless, I don't think it's really fair to compare the GC pad to revolutions like the NES, SNES and Wii remote. The NES pad allowed you to hold the controller much more comfortable and just use your thumb for moving instead of your entire left hand; the SNES controller involved digits other than your thumbs, allowing you to use them in unison for more complex operations; the Wii controller lets you use thumbs, fingers and wrists for game control, adding another dimension. The GC pad is merely a similar level or interactivity as the SNES pad, it's just a reconfiguration. It's not really right to consider it an example of "newer isn't always better" when it's really not that new at all. A fairer example would be the Atari 5200 controller, with it's number pad.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I'd like to point out that the 'boomerang' design makes a lot more sense when you consider tilt and motion control.

Posted by scylla

no... it doesn't

Yes, it does.

Look, in PS3 games the most common use for the Sixaxis is as a steering device, whether it's in racing games, fl0w or Lair or whatever. The rounded boomerang design really works for that kind of rotational movement.

All I'm saying is that it seems to me that Sony had motion sensing in mind a lot longer than everyone seems to think.

Yeah it does. The current design makes a hell of a lot less sense either way.

ninja'd thanks to tabs

Posted by scylla

first of all, with a design like the "boomerang" the centered weight of the controller would make it sag. And secondly, it would do even worse of a job flying out of your hands than the nintendo wii controller.

You have no idea how it would be weighted (although given the Sixaxis, not at all lolz), so your first point is moot. The second point is just retarded.

Quoted post: first of all, with a design like the "boomerang" the centered weight of the controller would make it sag. And secondly, it would do even worse of a job flying out of your hands than the nintendo wii controller.

Make it sag? What the ****? Hahaha.

Anywho, you're an idiot. Stop talking about things you have no clue in.

Posted by maian

The Boomerang was simply a shape. Gawd. It was before Sony introduced the Sixaxis idea. It was simply the look, and in all truth, it was probably more comfortable than the cruddy Dualshock. People keep bashing it like it's this flawed, awful thing, but it's just the shape. It would really have nothing to do with the overall function. It may look retarded, but I'd probably prefer that over the same old black Dualshock.

Wii wins.

Quoted post: The Boomerang was simply a shape. Gawd. It was before Sony introduced the Sixaxis idea. It was simply the look, and in all truth, it was probably more comfortable than the cruddy Dualshock. People keep bashing it like it's this flawed, awful thing, but it's just the shape. It would really have nothing to do with the overall function. It may look retarded, but I'd probably prefer that over the same old black Dualshock.

... what? Exactly, it's the SHAPE. The SHAPE of the thing you're HOLDING. That's incredibly important since a bad controller design can ruin a console. If the boomerang's shape was uncomfortable, then the console is no good.

Posted by Fate

I'm pretty comfortable with the Sixaxis. I don't know what people are talking about. The boomerang shape was horrible.

I'm not uncomfortable with it, I just don't prefer it. I'd have to say the 360 pad is the most comfortable out of any controller I've ever used, as it gets form, weight, button-placement and functionality all quite perfect. The Sixaxis has absolutely no weight, which is bad; the form isn't all that great, the triggers are pretty iffy, and the stick-placement is downright awful.

Posted by Silent Echo

I don't think the PS3 copied the Wii's motion sensor. My bet goes to it being some kind of crazy coincidence. Remember, we knew about the Wii's motion technology before the PS3's, but does that mean that Sony can design and make its own motion features in only the span of those couple of months we knew about the Wii's motion (if they did copy it as this thread suggests). It's very, very, very unlikely. Things like that go through a lot of stages, taking a lot of time to refine, optimize, perfect, etc

Posted by muffla

i think that sony did not really intend on copying the wiis controler at first but might go that way now, i wouldent be suprissed to see manny minigame packed party games on the ps3 that just use the motion sensor.

as for the controler its self its OK i greatly prefer the 360, in my poinion the ps3's controler is too light, too small and i just dont like the triggers. and finally the joystics should be flatter like the 360's

Quoted post: I don't think the PS3 copied the Wii's motion sensor. My bet goes to it being some kind of crazy coincidence. Remember, we knew about the Wii's motion technology before the PS3's, but does that mean that Sony can design and make its own motion features in only the span of those couple of months we knew about the Wii's motion (if they did copy it as this thread suggests). It's very, very, very unlikely. Things like that go through a lot of stages, taking a lot of time to refine, optimize, perfect, etc

... it's ****ing tilt. The technology has been around since the early gameboy systems. It's not too difficult for a massive corporation to slap in tilt in a matter of months. Chances are, it wasn't a coincidence. Especially considering no developers knew about it.

Posted by THEDVS1

But look at games like warhawk that seem to work better with the new ps3 controller then with the boomerang .(most likely because the shape of the controller and the ship in the game are shaped alike).Make'in it feel some how more (for lack of a better word) right.But I also see what WINGS is say'in about how the more rounded shaped boomerang pad would work well with racing games.I just wonted to point out at least one good thing about the new ps3 pad witch is sadly not a easy thing to do..lol..

Quoted post: But look at games like warhawk that seem to work better with the new ps3 controller then with the boomerang .(most likely because the shape of the controller and the ship in the game are shaped alike).

Spoilers: No one has used the boomerang controller. You have no clue what you're talking about. Double Spoilers: Apparently Warhawk doesn't work well with any controller. You know it's not good when it might become a download-exclusive game.

Posted by maian

Well, I was assuming that the boomerang controller actually was more comfortable. :( I've never had a problem using Dualshock, but I always thought it was the worst controller. Not only was it crappy quality, it was just uncomfortable and awkward. The Sixaxis, of course, is nearly identical. The boomerang looked hideous, but in my opinion, it looked like they put a little more thought into comfortability.