Temple of the Dog

Posted by veritas

Yea i heard their song Hunger Strike, and im just wondering if theres any other good songs they have.

Posted by WackoHater2

Pretty Hate Machine could tell you. He sent me some songs by them before.. I don't remember the names of them though.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

The only other one I heard was Say Hello To Heaven, but it wasn't as good as Hunger Strike.

Posted by S

If you don't know, Temple of the Dog is a band came before Pearl Jam and I'm not sure about Sound Garden. It's Eddie Vetter of Pearl Jam and Chris Cornell of Sound Garden, plus misc band mates. They only ever released one album, but it was great. A definite tie in to their future work and I really enjoyed it.

A few of their good songs are:
Call me a Dog
Wooden Jesus
Say Hello to Heaven (Not my favorite but okay.)
Reach Down

Their other songs on the album are:
Times of Trouble
All Night Thing
Your Savior
Pushin' Forward Back
Four Walled World,
and yes, Hunger Strike.

Posted by Omni

This is my favorite album.

Okay, this album was a project conceived as a tribute to Andy Wood, the late singer of Mother Love Bone, by Chris Cornell. He is joined by Wood's former bandmates Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament, rising Seattle star Mike McCready, and fellow Soundgarden member Matt Cameron, and even aided by Eddie Vedder on a couple of tracks, Cornell wrote the all of lyrics and most of the music for ten songs.

Now, let's talk about the songs. All of them are good, with the Cornell-Vedder duet "Hunger Strike" and emotional "Say Hello 2 Heaven" being obvious favorites. The 11-minute "Reach Down" and the gentle closer "All Night Thing" are also exceptional tracks. The other songs explore hard rock, piano ballads, and "Four-Walled World" even delves into prison blues. Religious symbolism is found in many of the songs, used as often as a show of faith as one of disbelief.

Musically, the band is at the top of their form, with looming guitar riffs, soaring solos, and rock-solid bass and drums. Cornell is at the top of his form, vocally, and even plays banjo and harmonica on a few songs. The producer, Rick Parashar, contributes piano and organ on several songs. Chris Cornell even invited Eddie Vedder to sing on what would become his first professional recording.

I highly recommend this album.

Posted by WackoHater2

Say Hello 2 Heaven is my favorite song of theirs. I couldn't remember it.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Lunairetic: If you don't know, Temple of the Dog is a band came before Pearl Jam and I'm not sure about Sound Garden. It's Eddie Vetter of Pearl Jam and Chris Cornell of Sound Garden, plus misc band mates.

LOL, I just saw this. Temple Of The Dog came after Soundgarden but before Pearl Jam. The album gained notice after both bands became popular. Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, and Mike McCready aren't miscellaneous bandmates. They would join Eddie, who contributes the least to the album, even after the producers piano and organ playing on several tracks, to create Pearl Jam. The drummer, Matt Cameron, is a fellow Soundgarden member and he would later play in Pearl Jam.

Posted by S

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: LOL, I just saw this. Temple Of The Dog came after Soundgarden but before Pearl Jam. The album gained notice after both bands became popular. Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, and Mike McCready aren't miscellaneous bandmates. They would join Eddie, who contributes the least to the album, even after the producers piano and organ playing on several tracks, to create Pearl Jam. The drummer, Matt Cameron, is a fellow Soundgarden member and he would later play in Pearl Jam.

I'd quantify that as misc band mates.

Posted by Omni

I think you need to learn your Seattle music history, but that might just be my opinion.

Posted by S

Maybe I didn't infer it clearly enough, if so, my fault. I meant misc band members of both the two previously mentioned bands: Pearl Jam and Sound Garden. In other words, some band members from each band.

Posted by Omni

Okay, it's cool. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who likes the album.

Posted by Sage Shadows

'Say Hello 2 Heaven'

Is their, and one of the best songs.

Posted by Omni

Yeah, thanks for just restating something we had already confirmed multiple times in this thread, except with poor grammar.