Counter Strike/Steam help

Posted by Drewboy64

My friend recently bought CS, but can't connect to steam. He says when he opens steam he can't connect, and when he opens Counter Strike and tries to go online, it says he can't connect to the Steam network.

Any help? Thanks.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

His firewall is blocking Steam.

Either that, or it's a side-effect of the current Steam server outages coupled with their new software updates.

Posted by KoH

You know what's awesome?

[url]www.steampowered.com[/url]

They actually have their OWN support system! As well as forums!

Perhaps asking the people who built the program and "maintain" the servers can help you out better than a bunch of geeks like us. :) Not that Valve doesn't consist of geeks, we're just a lesser form of such.

Btw, Valve sucks. That dynamic weapons pricing thing is absolutely bull****. Why would they ever think that such a system would benefit people?

Posted by Apathetic

Yeah everytime I want to play I have to disable norton :p

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Apathetic: Yeah everytime I want to play I have to disable norton :p

doesnt Norton have program control? My firewall does, I can control what program can get access without turning off the firewall.

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting Tiptoegecko: doesnt Norton have program control? My firewall does, I can control what program can get access without turning off the firewall.

I beleive he could just go into the firewall settings and allow access for the necessary ports.

Posted by KoH

Not even that. Most firewalls have program recognition so that whenever you start the game, the pop-up asking you if you would like to let the game open a port should also include the option to 'always' allow the game to open that same port in the future. The location of this option obviously varies from program to program but if you paid even a decent amount of money for your software you should have something like it.

Posted by sierrahelp

if you would like i can handle this problem for him i actual run part of sierra and part of steam witch runs counterstrike source and other games. get him to email me his usser name and password to steam and i will run logs to see what th eproblem is :)

Posted by sierrahelp

i posted before and i think i forgot to put my email address in it is [email]jackocool2000@hotmail.com[/email]