Black Metal

Posted by Omni

Phantasma sent me 2 songs by Xasthur, 1 by Lux Occulta, and 2 by Anaal Nathrakh. he tried to send me an ...And Oceans song but it wouldn't play. I enjoyed the ones I was able to play a lot, which he found surprising, so I was hoping someone could help me get more songs like these. I think I'd like to hear anything else like that.

Posted by Corrupt

Shouldn't it be obvious who the two black metal connoisseurs are around here? Ask Vamp or Shin-Ra, they'll probably hook you up.

Oh yeah, and Philsdad! Heard he's got quite a stash too.

Posted by Omni

I know, but I wanted to make a thread anyway.

Posted by Corrupt

S'fine.

...and if you ever, EVER want to get into any electronica artists, I'm your man. Remember that. :-*

Posted by Omni

I think I might take you up on that offer.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Like those?

Xasthur:
Leviathan
Nyktalgia
Anti
Shining

Lux Occulta:
Isn't black metal and they suck

Anaal Nathrakh:
Watain
Deathspell Omega

Other bands worth checking out:
Clandestine Blaze
Wryd
Taake
Syny Severa
Windir
Vediog Svaor
Peste Noire
Urfaust
Sun of the Sleepless
Burzum
LIK
Ulver
Summoning
Tjolgtjar

And so on. There's a ton more, but the above are good and have a lot of range. There's everything from operatic, epic, psychedelic, rock, and raw. Also, Phant's taste is music sucks and chances are if he's sending you black metal he got it from me. So just get it from the source instead.

Posted by Killer Jordo

I never got into black metal. Meh.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Like those?

Xasthur:
Leviathan
Nyktalgia
Anti
Shining

Lux Occulta:
Isn't black metal and they suck

Anaal Nathrakh:
Watain
Deathspell Omega

Other bands worth checking out:
Clandestine Blaze
Wryd
Taake
Syny Severa
Windir
Vediog Svaor
Peste Noire
Urfaust
Sun of the Sleepless
Burzum
LIK
Ulver
Summoning
Tjolgtjar

And so on. There's a ton more, but the above are good and have a lot of range. There's everything from operatic, epic, psychedelic, rock, and raw. Also, Phant's taste is music sucks and chances are if he's sending you black metal he got it from me. So just get it from the source instead.

I just went by what he told me. I didn't like the Lux Occulta one as much as the others, I think I played it one time. The others I've played several times because they're all I've got of this kind of music. If you have MSN or AIM, I'll add you.

Posted by Phantasma2

Lux Occulta doesn't suck that much.

Posted by WackoHater2

I like my coffee black just like my metal. That has nothing to do with black metal.. just a lyric I like from "Shut Me Up" by Mindless Self Indulgence. I have never actually listened to black metal. I can't ever find any on Blubster.

Posted by Phantasma2

Quoted post: Phant's taste is music sucks and chances are if he's sending you black metal he got it from me. So just get it from the source instead.

Just read that.

AND THATS sadly TRUE

But yeah, the source isn't online most of the time, so get it from dear ol' Phantasma.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Darkthrone
Naglfar
Behemoth (their old stuff)
Satyricon
Dragonlord

And a ton of others who's names I don't have on me and can't quite spell.

And yeah, stick to getting it from people like Vamp or Shin-Ra. I got into it thanks to Vamp.

Quoted post: Lux Occulta doesn't suck that much.

This is what happens when you try to find music on your own :D

Posted by Phantasma2

Sorry baby, but Philsdad said they were good and that I should get them on his hub.

And I got it. and thats it.

Good for you? Or good good? Because those are two different thing.

Posted by Phantasma2

good good?

Nah. Phil has good taste in music. Not possible.

Posted by Phantasma2

Want me to ****ing screencap?

I don't habeeb it. Never will I zaboob it. Never.

Posted by Phantasma2

Shopped.

Posted by Philsdad

Hahahahah, just noticed this. Lux Occulta's song "When Horned Souls Awake" is one of my favorite songs ever, the rest of their stuff is okay.

SCC, you should get DC++ and get on my hub, I have a lot of black metal you could download as well as other interesting things. In fact, all you people should get on there.

Posted by Omni

Hey, Phil, where do I get it? Also, you owe me rep from the time I guessed your bands in the "Who is it?" thread.

Oh, and Vampiro, I'd ask you if you send me something, but you're always away on MSN and AIM.

If you see me playing music I'm usually online. It's not hard to figure out. If Phant can do it, you can do it.

Quoted post: Hey, Phil, where do I get it?

Hey, Phil, where do I get it?

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: Also, you owe me rep from the time I guessed your bands in the "Who is it?" thread.

You're right! I just repped you for it. I don't rep people all the time, so it takes awhile before I can rep the same person again sometimes.

To Get Onto the DC++ Hub:

First off, you'll need to download a copy of DC++ [URL="http://www.dcpp.net/"]which you can get here.[/URL]

After you install the program, load it up. There's pretty much two things you can do here at this point: Manually load a Private Hub, or browse the Public Hubs and use those. You can browse public hubs if you want, but to get on my hub, press Control Q and in the box, enter the hub address which is estradasphere.no-ip.org:1412

Once you're there, it's pretty easy to figure out how to use. There is a magnifying glass icon to search, or you can click on individual users' names to load their lists and browse their shared files.

If you have a router, I'll have to walk you through some other things too, but it would be a lot easier to do that on AIM. If you have any trouble with any of it, just let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Posted by Omni

I knew I had to download it, I just didn't know the site. I'm going to get it and if I need help, I'll let you know.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Corrupt: Oh yeah, and Philsdad! Heard he's got quite a stash too.

I think I see what you did there, and I like it!

Pretty Hate Machine got on my DC hub, and the rest of you should too. I want to diversify it a little there, so anyone is welcome regardless of what kind of stuff you have.

Posted by Omni

I'm looking for black metal with about an even mix of clean and harsh vocals. What bands do you think are good for that sort of music?

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: I'm looking for black metal with about an even mix of clean and harsh vocals. What bands do you think are good for that sort of music?

I can't think of any right now, but if you're looking for bm that isn't the raw, angry variety, you should try Cryptic Wintermoon. They're melodic bm, and they do have some clean vocals.

Circle of Ouroborus is completely clean, you've listened to Urfaust... and uh, I really can't think of anything else at the top of my head. Straight-up black metal with clean vocals is pretty rare =/ You'll get the odd song with a few clean sections, but nothing major to recommend.

Posted by Omni

I don't want all clean vocals, just some in addition to harsh vocals.

Adorned Brood
Anaal Nathrakh
Borknagar
Branikald
Burzum
Circle of Ouroborus
Cryptic Wintermoon
Disiplin
Dødheimsgard
Elegeion
Enslaved
Finntroll
Forefather
Hidden in the Fog
Himinbjørg
HorSS
Hvangur
In the Woods...
Inferno
Keep of Kalessin
Krieg
Kriegsmaschine
Legion of Doom
LIK
Lurker of Chalice
Mayhem
The Meads of Asphodel
Mirrorthrone
Myrkgrav
Nargaroth
Natural Spirit
Nazgul
Noctis Invocat
Non Opus Dei
Old Man's Child
Primordial
Querimonia
Rakoth
Sad Legend
Solefald
Summoning
Tjolgtjar
Ulver
Urfaust
Valhalla
Vediog Svaor
Vinterriket
Wyrd

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Killer Jordo: I never got into black metal. Meh.

I doubt you ever tried and if you did then you fail at life for being stupid

this post is probably useless because I believe I saw an "I'm leaving" thread by him

Posted by Ant

This thread just gave me an idea. Someone make a motivational poster with Black Metal as the main title. Then underneath put "ist krieg". gogogo

oh, and the picture has to be of some band with the corpse paint on...just stating the obvious here.

Posted by Omni

[center][IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/jjn777/BlackMetalIstKrieg.png[/IMG][/center]

EDIT: I fixed up the image a little bit. My art skills are not great.

Posted by Ant

Not quite what I was talking about. Let me show you the format.

[IMG]http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/7687/baggedmilkcx4.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Hyper

@PHM: You obviously don't know what a lithograph is.

Posted by Omni

[CENTER][IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/jjn777/BlackMetalIstKrieg-1.png[/IMG][/CENTER]

Good yet? I used the other picture as a reference point. It's not exactly the same, but close.

@ Hyper: Yep, you're right.

Posted by Ant

http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/motivator.php

Posted by Omni

Okay, here's your ****in' picture:
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/jjn777/BlackMetalIstKrieg-1.jpg[/IMG]

I didn't know they had a whole system for this ****. Next time post the link straight away.

Posted by Ant

...eh.

Posted by Omni

What are you using it for, anyway?

Posted by Ant

Absolutely nothing. Just thought it'd be a good one. I thought wrong...or maybe you just did it wrong. I just don't know anymore.

Posted by Hyper

do i win?

I love me some behexen. But it's not the right image.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/VampiroV.Empire/1168404774007.jpg[/IMG]

And I win

[IMG]http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/output/motivator4867400.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/output/motivator933321.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Hyper

Yeah, but you got that off of Despair.com. I had to make mine. :(

Got what off where? What?

Posted by Hyper

It says despair.com on the bottom :(

Posted by Slade

****. I'll probably just wait until I get back on my own computer to get DC++ working, since this is a faggy mac. Too bad for you guys I pretty much lost all my music on it. I had a ton of electronica that you would have liked.

What were those other two you posted, Vamp, that aren't working?

Posted by Omni

Thanks, Slade. Xero sent me this huge *** zip file that I haven't opened yet that supposedly has good electronica in it, but I need to go home to unzip it.

Quoted post: It says despair.com on the bottom

Huh, I got it from 4chan. idk.

Quoted post: What were those other two you posted, Vamp, that aren't working?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/VampiroV.Empire/motivator9640321.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/VampiroV.Empire/motivator4927906.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Omni

I saw those yesterday when they were still showing. The first one is brutal.

Posted by Gollum

DAWN OF THE BLACK HEARTS

You win a cookie.

Posted by Obscurum Contagiion

I really wasnt expecting to find people on this forum to listen to black-metal.

Posted by Hyper

Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth don't count.

Quoting Hyper: Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth don't count.

Demon Burger, Kankle of Milf

Quoted post: Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth don't count.

Krieg and Sargiest do though.

But yeah, there's a couple of other people here beside me that actively listen to the genre. Go figure.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Krieg and Sargiest do though.

But yeah, there's a couple of other people here beside me that actively listen to the genre. Go figure.

Wow, I never would have guessed that.
I guess the genre is more popular than I really thought.

I am in a few black-metal bands, 2 of which are signed.
but im not going to list them.

It's definitely a bigger genre than most fans would like to believe. A lot bigger.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's definitely a bigger genre than most fans would like to believe. A lot bigger.

most of which total loosers who have been introduced to the genre by fellow posers.

Not really =/ I just think you want to believe that, even if it's not true.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Not really =/ I just think you want to believe that, even if it's not true.

your right, its what I want to believe.
I think that people should discover music on their own, without the influence of someone else.

That's really ****ing stupid. One of the more idiotic things I've heard actually.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: That's really ****ing stupid. One of the more idiotic things I've heard actually.

Ok I guess I could have phrased it differently...
What I mean is, I hate the fact that people listen to music just becasue it is popular or somone they know listens to it, so they think they should too.

Except Black Metal isn't popular. At all. And it's not the type of music that lends itself to being listened to so people feel cool. It has a sound completely reverse of that of the mainstream for a reason.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Why is a thread on black metal this large?

Yeah man, it's important to start with the early bands of black metal with Bathory being the most important (Bathory, The Return, Under the Sign of the Black Mark, and Blood Fire Death). It's even more important to listen to the early material in the Norwegian and South American scenes and read interviews with the musicians to understand the movement and what it represents, otherwise you'll be another worthless rebellious teenager mindlessly following some stupid trend. At least you won't be mindless if you do that. Check out A Blaze in the Northern Sky by Darkthrone (all Darkthrone for that matter), DMdS by Mayhem, Nattens Madrigal by Ulver, Strength and Anger by Ildjarn, Pure Holocaust by Immortal, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss by Burzum (and the other 2 bm albums as well), In the Nightshade Eclipse by Emperor, Dark Medieval Times and Shadowthrone by Satyricon, etc. Do that before you get too into the newer stuff and you'll have a greater appreciation for what's coming out now.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Shin-Ra: It's even more important to listen to the early material in the Norwegian and South American scenes and read interviews with the musicians to understand the movement and what it represents, otherwise you'll be another worthless rebellious teenager mindlessly following some stupid trend.

I've never met anyone who's heard of black metal before, much less listened to it, and I'm a teenager. Also, I don't think you need to understand the mentality behind black metal to avoid being a labeled a trend-follower. I'm sure there are some people, like myself, who don't read up on it or anything, or care about the meaning of it, but simply listen to it for the enjoyment of the music.

Edit: Another thing. A long time ago I found a site with links to thousands of metal albums that were hosted on sites like megaupload. Does anyone know that site? They had a LOT of music and I can't remember anything about the url.

It definitely helps to have an understanding on the genre's roots, ideologies, and movements. It's by far the most simplistic music, but it's loved because of its incredible depth and hidden complexity. It's really hard to notice what makes the music truly excellent unless you have some decent understanding of what came before this wave of black metal. I wouldn't go as far as to say it makes you some kind of poser or trend-follower to not do so, since I think you'd be mangling its usage.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Irrelevant: I've never met anyone who's heard of black metal before, much less listened to it, and I'm a teenager. Also, I don't think you need to understand the mentality behind black metal to avoid being a labeled a trend-follower. I'm sure there are some people, like myself, who don't read up on it or anything, or care about the meaning of it, but simply listen to it for the enjoyment of the music.

That's like saying you love art because the pictures are pretty. You're not wrong but you're missing the meaning. It's extremely important to understand any piece of art to fullest, which includes knowing about the time it was created, the location, the purpose, etc. Otherwise yeah, you're just purely looking at the surface of things which is essentially what the person who looks at a picture and says it's pretty is doing. So yeah, I consider someone who comes into any form of art without learning and understanding it to be lacking.

Also, if you notice I worded my last post to have a lot of sarcasm. See how I called all black metal fans "worthless rebellious teenagers mindlessly following some stupid trend" and said that if you know what you're talking about you'll still be "a worthless rebellious teenager following some stupid trend"? It's obviously not meant to be taken seriously because I'm clearly making fun of everyone in this thread including myself.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. That's not a fair comparison. Whereas it's essential to understand the painting's past (etc) to even grasp the most basic meaning or even get the littlest bit of fulfillment out of it, music can be enjoyed purely on the surface with little to no background information needed. It's certainly important to know such things to truly understand black metal, but you get out of it what you put into it. If you want to enjoy the music for what it is, just sounds, you'll get the most basic enjoyment out of it. But, as with you and I, if you want to understand it and explore its depth and complexity, we'll get a lot more out of the experience. But it's not necessary.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Yeah man, I made that pretty clear when I said "you're not wrong, but you're missing the meaning". I never said you can't enjoy it, but I said you're totally missing the point which is just like looking at a painting or sculpture and not reading up on it. You can appreciate it for it's aesthetic appeal (or how nice the music sounds) but you can't really fully appreciate it without knowing something about it (the context in which the music was made). Which brings me back to why it's important to listen to the early black metal material to start off with and research a bit, so it's not all picture and no context. It's totally a fair comparison and it'll help someone appreciate the material more (which was the point of my post if anyone actually read it). I wasn't coming down on anyone at all, I was saying it'll help someone appreciate the movement and at the same time poking fun at the people listening to the stuff, myself included.

Fair enough and agreed. I just thought the notion of being a trend-follower for not knowing the past was a little odd.

Posted by Jaems

Black Metal's cool.

Catamenia + Zyklon + Some Finntroll = \m/ 4 me.

Posted by Slade

I'm horrible with dates and geography and all that, so I just stick to reading interviews with the artists. I can gain some insight into what they're about. In the best cases I think "Okay, I can respect this guy." That's actually the reason I've never gotten into Darkthrone or Mayhem. It seemed that the members from one of those bands were too into themselves, and those two bands are often put together. lol assuming a lot *shrug* I guess maybe I shouldn't put off listening to them...

All Mayhem interviews are conducted when the members are thoroughly drunk. Though both Nocturno and Fenriz of Darkthrone are pretty down to earth.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: All Mayhem interviews are conducted when the members are thoroughly drunk. Though both Nocturno and Fenriz of Darkthrone are pretty down to earth.

haha yes, quoting Necrobutcher (as being drunk during an interview)
"**** them, **** you !, ya know"
"were the best fff****ing metal band in the world, ya know"
"**** them, ya know"