Will the 360 stay on top?

Posted by hypnotize_

As of now, Microsoft is by far owning Nintendo and Sony for gaming consoles, but will it stay this way or is it only a matter of time before the 360 sinks below the others?

I'm not completely sure how the Ps3 uses the internet if at all, but in my opinion the future of gaming is through the internet and if the other consoles can't use the internet as effectively as Microsoft is, then the 360 will stay on top.

Discuss.

Posted by Dexter

PS3 does use Internet. I was just playing Call of Duty 3 using it. It can also get online.

360 has a huge lead, indeed, but it's also been around for over a year now and you can easily get one, whereas it is still difficult to get a Wii or a PS3.

I think it will still be in the lead by the end of the year.

Posted by Axis

This next year will indicate who will win, IMO. And Microsoft has a pretty **** strong line-up for this year. It's going to be hard for both Sony and Nintendo.

Posted by TheSorrow

Well the Wii is selling I bet it will be top soon enough if they can make more but like Dexter said the 360 will not be on top by years end which I agree. I think its going to be Wii, Xbox360, and PS3. The PS3 wont sell that well till they drop the price or think of something revolutionary. But PS3s are slightly easier to find now and no one really has the desire to buy them right now thats why i think they will be last.

Posted by Axis

You didn't read Dexter's post, but good try.

Posted by Big Boss

I believe the 360 has the best chance to stay on top, based on what we've seen right now. However, what we're seeing now is hardly an indication of what's to come. After a couple of years the "top" console should be easily discernable, but right now is really too soon to tell. The Xbox 360 doesn't have as much of a lead as the PS2 had after months of the GCN and Xbox release last gen, so we can't make the same accurate prediction.

Posted by Random

I personally believe the 360 will stay on top. I believe the Wii for the next 2 or 3 years will have a surge in sales rivaling that of the 360 but the 360 will remain on top. I predict in about 3 years PS3 sales (once the price lowers considerably) will start to take off.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: The Xbox 360 doesn't have as much of a lead as the PS2 had after months of the GCN and Xbox release last gen, so we can't make the same accurate prediction.

And no other console ever will.

Anywho, it'll stay on top for a couple more years, if not for the rest of this generation. But there's a strong possibility the Wii will overtake it what with massive demand in Japan and even here in North America. It's already close to 3 million sales, isn't it? That says quite a bit about where it might be in two years.

Posted by WackoHater2

A while ago I thought that the Wii would catch up to the 360 in almost no time. I have changed my mind though. Since the Wii came out it's sold over 2 million consoles. In that time, the 360 has sold over 2 million more consoles. I see the 360 staying on top for the time being.

Quoted post: Since the Wii came out it's sold over 2 million consoles. In that time, the 360 has sold over 2 million more consoles.

Take into consideration that you can't find a Wii anywhere, yet, there's literally mountains of 360s in every store.

Posted by Dexter

Wow, has anyone else been noticing the huge climb the Wii has been taking lately? It's really selling well. I don't think the 360 had sells this high until after April.

Posted by WackoHater2

PS3 finally sold over a million.

Quoted post: I don't think the 360 had sells this high until after April.

Just about the time it started getting actual shipments in stores.

Posted by Speedfreak

I've heard Wii has sold 4 million and 360 has shipped 10.6 and sold 8. Most people go off of nextgenwars, which is a totally bogus site. The numbers are based off of estimates and previous market trends, not any actual sales figures. Considering Wii has sold a million units in Japan alone I don't really see how only selling 2 million worldwide is remotely possible.

I think Wii will overtake after Christmas 07. Xbox might have Halo 3, but Wii has Metroid, Mario and Smash Bros as it's biggest titles. Combined they'll sell more and it's always better to have 3 different games than one game that appeals to a fanbase that's been served for the past year, they function as system sellers much better.

PS3, as far as I know, doesn't have anything that'll stand up to these titles. Last I checked, Final Fantasy isn't out to 2008 (and it'll have a hard time standing up to, what, 4 Final Fantasy games on Nintendo systems?), and MGS hasn't ever had the kind of mainstream appeal games like Smash Bros, Mario or Halo do, and even then it probably won't be out until Christmas. The system's got a rather large pit to crawl out of.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Speedfreak: Last I checked, Final Fantasy isn't out to 2008 (and it'll have a hard time standing up to, what, 4 Final Fantasy games on Nintendo systems?)

No, it wont.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Speedfreak: I think Wii will overtake after Christmas 07. Xbox might have Halo 3, but Wii has Metroid, Mario and Smash Bros as it's biggest titles. Combined they'll sell more and it's always better to have 3 different games than one game that appeals to a fanbase that's been served for the past year, they function as system sellers much better.

Halo 3 has more pre-orders than all those titles combined. The store I work at has 500 pre-orders alone, for a game that doesn't come out until November. Xbox 360 also has Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed and probably a few others that will be out in the fall. And I disagree that Metroid, Mario, and Smash being better system sellers than Halo.

Posted by hypnotize_

People may buy the Wii, but after they beat the game and they become bored with it, they will turn to the 360's online play. Many of the Wii titles will get old after beating it several times, but Gears of War online play will never get old.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Axis: Halo 3 has more pre-orders than all those titles combined. The store I work at has 500 pre-orders alone, for a game that doesn't come out until November. Xbox 360 also has Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed and probably a few others that will be out in the fall. And I disagree that Metroid, Mario, and Smash being better system sellers than Halo.
Thats pretty amazing about the pre-orders, but that could be due to that so many more people right now already have a 360. You wouldn't preorder Smash Bros. if you don't even own a Wii. I think in the long run those three Wii titles will sell more systems than Halo 3 for sure, but no doubt Halo will clobber each individually. But then like you said the 360 has a number of other killer titles so only time will tell.

Posted by Dexter

I'm pretty sure that Halo 2 sold more than Super Smash Bros Melee by about 2 million.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Axis: Halo 3 has more pre-orders than all those titles combined. The store I work at has 500 pre-orders alone, for a game that doesn't come out until November. Xbox 360 also has Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed and probably a few others that will be out in the fall. And I disagree that Metroid, Mario, and Smash being better system sellers than Halo.

Super Mario Brothers 3 > Halo and any other game ever sold (in sales).

I see Xbox 360 staying in the lead for a couple more months before the Wii catches up. Wii could probably catch up by Christmas if it keeps it's steam.

Anyhow it would take another "SMB 3" for Nintendo to REALLY pull ahead. It would do it too!

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Axis] And I disagree that Metroid, Mario, and Smash being better system sellers than Halo.

Tough shit, they are. Combined they sell more games than Halo 1 or 2 and to a more diverse audience.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Proto Man: Super Mario Brothers 3 > Halo and any other game ever sold (in sales).

How completely irrellevant.

Posted by S

Let's not forget any upcoming Zelda games as well. Twilight Princess may have been the first release, but I'm suspicious it will be the last. I've heard great things about it, as well, so that should boost sales if a second were to come out for this system; if only for the mere fact that the previous game had a great impact on the audience. I'm getting a Wii just for Zelda... once I finish the five other RPGs on my plate currently.

Posted by Drewboy64

I honestly think the Wii will be the top seller this generation.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Axis: How completely irrellevant.

Not really, especially since you said this:

Quoting Axis: And I disagree that Metroid, Mario, and Smash being better system sellers than Halo.

Quoted post: Let's not forget any upcoming Zelda games as well. Twilight Princess may have been the first release, but I'm suspicious it will be the last.

What? Don't you mean it WON'T be the last?

Quoted post: but Gears of War online play will never get old.

It got old a week after it was released.

Quoted post:
Not really, especially since you said this:

You're an idiot. Mario was meant as in the next Mario title on the Wii, Mario Galaxy. Christ.

Posted by S

I don't know it won't be the last Zelda on the Wii. I've not researched any farther, I'm saying that I doubt it will be.

It won't be. Don't be silly.

Posted by hypnotize_

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It got old a week after it was released.

I think you are one of the few that would say that.

What I don't understand is that why are you guys comparing three of the Wii's games to just one 360 game? If you take the top three games of the 360 now, and compare them to the sales of Mario Galaxy Zelda and Smash Bros in year from now, it will be no match and the 360 games will blow them out.

CAN I BORROW YOUR TIME MACHINE, MAN OF THE FUTURE?

Posted by Curtis

yes the 360 will stay on top because the ps3 is asking for alout of money 599$ and 699$ ridiculous right? i know

I like how you didn't even factor in the Wii.

Posted by Random

Its hard to say Sony could even climb to the top of this console race.

I strongly believe the 360 will take it, and if not then the Wii will.

Sony has lost too much party support. Major titles have jumped from the PS3 to the 360.

Sony has lost these Exclusive titles:

-Smackdown Vs Raw
-Phantasy Star Universe (originally to be a PS3 exclusive)
-Grand Theft Auto IV (ok this was never an exclusive but now its coming out for the 360 at the same time)
-Resident Evil 5
-Assassin's Creed

Not to mention the possibility of Metal Gear Solid 4 Jumping over aswell.

These aren't 360 exclusives but the majority were to be PS3 exclusives or were Sony exclusives with previous titles.

What happens if Sony loses Final Fantasy? Would Sony even be able to sell consoles? They're consoles costing $200 more for the same games would be outrageous, no matter what kind of graphics there are. I would NEVER pay $200 extra to buy a console to play the same games as something $200 less and still has awesome graphics.

I think Sony fails..

The Wii and the 360 however will be a great race. It'll come down to exclusive titles. Both have great titles out or on the way.

The 360 with games like:
-Halo 3
-Gears of War
-Lost Planet
-Halo Wars
-Dead Rising
-Fable 2
-Fuzion Frenzy 2
-Enchanted Arms

And the Wii with:
-Zelda TP
-Metroid
-Super Smash Bro's
-Super Mario
-Super Paper Mario
-Fire Emblem

It'll be a great race..

Posted by Anti-Muffla

I'm going to say PS3. Please don't kill me.

Posted by Dexter

360's almost hit the big 10!

Posted by Axis

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12525/CES-2007-Microsoft-Sells-104M-Xbox-360s-Worldwide/

Posted by Dexter

Oh, sweet, start the celebration!

I wonder how long it'll take the PS3, if ever.

March 2008.

Posted by hypnotize_

Yesterday I went to Best Buy and there was literally a huge pile of Ps3's. I walked around some more, then asked the guy where the 360's were out of curiosity. He told me that they were all sold out.

I think that says pretty much says it all.

There's still a really high demand for PS3's, which means Sony's pumping stores full of them as fast as possible. And I find it hard to believe a store sold completely out of their 360 stock. There's literally mountains of them in every store.

Posted by Proto Man

According to [url]www.gamefaqs.com[/url] a poll shows Wii as the best sytem of 2006 (with 26103 votes), with Xbox 360 at second (14540), and PS3 (with 5012) is BEHIND PS2 (3rd with 9425) and Nintendo DS (4th at 6826).

Then it must be true.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Then it must be true.

Well of course we can't take it as full gospel, but it does give us a general idea.

That you suck and use gamefaqs to prove some meaningless point? Pretty much.

Posted by Dexter

He wasn't out proving a point, just bringing up a general idea he discovered to add to the discussion. It's all good.

That's it. Sony's finished.