Zelda Wii: What do you want to see?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Miyamoto has already went on record as saying that the Wii's next Legend of Zelda game will be 'a drastic departure' from previous incarnations of the saga. But what do you want to see in the game? Child Link or adult Link? Lifelike graphics or cartoon-style? Epona? The boat? Hyrule? Termina?

My main desire is to see sword and shield combat really expanded for the Wiimote. Although 1:1 swordplay would be near impossible, a system that closely mimicked arm movements would be schweet, and also, the shield could be directed using the nunchuck's motion sensor, making swordfighting in Zelda deeper.

I'd also like the game to be a 'departure' game, similar to Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask, where Link isn't destined to save Hyrule and vanquish Ganon. A new world, and new characters would make for a refreshing change.

Lastly, I'd like to see the developers make greater use of Link's inventory. In Twilight Princess, some items were simply used to finish a dungeon, then lay forgotten in the item subscreen for almost the entire game - the Gale Boomerang, the Slingshot, the Spinner, the Ball and Chain, the Dominion Rod... I'd rather have a small inventory of items that regularly came into play than a massive collection that barely made appearances past the first half hour of their collection. As much as I love the Hero's Bow and the Clawshot, they don't need to be revived for every puzzle - I'd rather use combinations of all my items.

Posted by Zeta

-Definitely a departure game. For some reason I never enjoy the Ganon ones as much as the others.

-Bring back some older bosses. I've had ideas for Gleeok and Blind.

-Majora's Mask quality NPCs. It's just so hard to go back to the average NPC after that.

-Work on item usefullness, like X said.

-Harder bosses plz. Or at least a difficulty choice.

-Some way to identify enemies. Not knowing an enemy's name bugs me.

-TINGLE! O_O

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, I'd like to have some Magic Lens for identification reasons. Just knowing the names of all the little enemies makes the world seem larger and the game more epic.

I like cel-shading, but after admiring the characters in Twilight Princess, I wonder how detailed and interesting they can make characters using cel-shading. The characters really have a unique look about them, style sort of reminiscent to Icelandic Children's Literature characters.

And I decided that I would like them to incorporate voices into the characters. It just adds so much more, gives the characters more personality. Midna's voice is fantastic, so I feel more solid about this idea. As long as they spoke Hyrulian. English would be terrible!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

A game built for the Wii and not a port. That's about it.

Posted by Noir

Voice acting, definately, and more on the romance thing. Link needs to have a deeper romantic interest, be it Zelda, or whatever else. I was really dissapointed about TP-I thought there would be a kiss, or something. :(

Posted by Arwon

We don't need voice acting, but if there is, Link needs to stay the basically mute hero he is now. That's part of his schtick, as much as the green clothese and sword and shield are.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Noir: Voice acting, definately, and more on the romance thing. Link needs to have a deeper romantic interest, be it Zelda, or whatever else. I was really dissapointed about TP-I thought there would be a kiss, or something. :(

No way. Though I like the 'noises' that characters like Midna have for a voice, full on voice acting would fail massively.

See: The Legend of Zelda cartoon; Wand of Gamelon; Zelda's Adventure.

Posted by maian

lol

Well first off, Link and Zelda wouldn't have had anything in Twilight Princess. They only saw each other three times, and two of those encounters was when he was a wolf. There wasn't enough there for anything to happen. Maybe Midna, but it'd be weird to have Link kiss or do anything romantic. I like it better when it's just hinted.

Quoted post: No way. Though I like the 'noises' that characters like Midna have for a voice, full on voice acting would fail massively.

See: The Legend of Zelda cartoon; Wand of Gamelon; Zelda's Adventure.

This isn't the '80s anymore. You can bet the VA would be pretty **** good.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: This isn't the '80s anymore. You can bet the VA would be pretty **** good.

Uhhh Starfox Assault.

Anyway, this Zelda Wii needs moar Zelda! I was disappointed by her lack of appearances in Twilight Princess. I know she doesn't usually make more than two or three per game, but she makes for an interesting character, who I'd like to see more of.

Quoted post: Uhhh Starfox Assault.

Yeah, I meant in terms of it being Zelda. Ten bux says Nintendo will make sure the game has good voice overs.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Yeah, I meant in terms of it being Zelda. Ten bux says Nintendo will make sure the game has good voice overs.

Just saying, bar Charlies Martinet, I haven't heard one bit of good Nintendo VA, unless you include Midna's voice.

I actually can't recall any Nintendo VA. But if lack of voice overs can have a fairly large impact on some people, imagine what kind of impact bad voice overs will have. Chances are they won't let that happen to one of their biggest franchises. Assuming they even bother with it. Which I'm hoping they don't.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Starfox 64, Starfox Assault, F-Zero GX, Super Mario Sunshine.

I remained grim throughout all. Though I guess VA could work well if it was akin to the standard of games like KOTOR and Jade Empire.

Posted by maian

F-Zero voice acting = BOL

I dunno, never been a fan of voice acting. Even games that have, uh, decent voice acting leave me wanting it off. =/ Like, Kingdom Hearts. Sora could've been a lot cooler if he didn't sound like a panzee. :(

Sunshine had voice acting? Wow... it must have been so terrible I've blocked it from my memory.

Posted by Zeta

Bowser's VA was atrocious.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Zeta: Bowser's VA was atrocious.

Exactly why I mentioned it.

'Never mind Junior, we'll get that Mario next time!'

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :o

link to video or something. I need to remember this.

Posted by Zeta

Found one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r2ASXvQdTkM

Check the beginning and 3:30

Posted by maian

I dunno, I thought F-Zero's was worse. :(

Samurai Goroh. Oh gawd.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting maian: I dunno, I thought F-Zero's was worse. :(

Samurai Goroh. Oh gawd.

Black Shadow.

Voice + nipples = worst villian ever.

Ganondorf would be awesome, on the other hand, if he had the same vocal tone as he does when he laughs in Ocarina of Time.

That wasn't that bad. It's basically what he should sound like, given his appearance.