Research firm: 75 million PS3s sold by 2010

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoted post: [SIZE="4"]Research firm: 75 million PS3s sold by 2010[/SIZE]

While most of the globe spent the last few days popping champagne and recuperating from the subsequent headaches, business analyst firm Research and Markets, based out of Dublin, Ireland, was busy putting the final touches on its latest examination of the gaming industry.

The company is currently peddling a brief titled "The Transforming Global Video Games Market: The Emergence of Next Generation Gaming," which examines the future ofthe industry, concentrating largely on the race between the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii.

The firm believes that the PS3 will ultimately carry the largest market share, with 75 million PS3s sold worldwide by 2010. However, the company doesn't expect the PS3 to dominate the new console cycle the same way the PlayStation 2 did last generation, due largely to European "late launch issues" and the head start of the Xbox 360.

Though Research and Markets didn't divulge its long-term sales predictions for the Xbox 360 or Wii in today's press release, a quick look at the brief's table of contents reveals more of the company's opinions. Titles of topics include "Xbox 360 is close on the heels of the PS3 overall," "The US is expected to be the largest next-generation console market by 2010," and "The handheld market is no longer a one horse race."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163625.html

Lets do the math here and see how much they would have to sell each week to get the goal.

75 million - (estimated)1.2 already sold.

73.8 million in 3 years
---
73.8 million / 3 =

24.6 million a year
---
24.6 / 12 =

2.05 million a month
---

2.05 million / 4 =
[SIZE="5"]512,500 a week [/SIZE]
-------------------------

Lofty goals these people have for Sony.

Sony has sold over 110 million PS2's. But they did that over 6 years with half the price and with multiple versons.

Im just wondering if these people went over the numbers at all. Because just making half a million ps3's in a week sounds tough in itself.

Still, they could do it, just nothing now really points to such sales.

Posted by Victorious1

I DOUBT IT. NO WAY CAN THE PS3 DO THAT.

The Wii and 360 are more successful than the PS3, and it would be a challenge for THEM to sell that much.

Posted by TheSorrow

the way its selling right now...no but if they were to lower prices they might be able to pull it off but chances are slim

Posted by Anti-Muffla

you should of really done:

24.6 million a year

24.6/52

=473,000 consoles a week

This might become possible when Europe launches the ps3 and when the amount of ps3's shipping increases.

Posted by higbvuyb

higbvuyb: business analyst firm Research and Markets bankrupt by 2008

That's 80% of a ps3 every second. Are these guys on crack?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting higbvuyb: higbvuyb: business analyst firm Research and Markets bankrupt by 2008

Yeah. You really have to wonder how much money there is in that particular field. Who commissioned them to "research" this(sony?)? How much did they pay? Could I start pulling random sales predictions out of my arse and call myself a research firm to cash in on this business?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

85,678,402 by March 2nd 2112.

is it can be check tyme now?

Posted by higbvuyb

That means that PS3 sales per month has to increase by a factor of four within 3 years or something, if I got that right. And I don't see PS3 sales increasing dramatically any time.

And one of their 'chapters' in their report is titled 'Nintendo and Sony offer unique products'. When was the PS3 unique? It's basically a PS2 with updated graphics and a Blue-ray drive. I can see people calling the Wii unique, but a crap Blue-ray drive isn't going to help anyone. That's almsot as bad as like calling Sony Digital Cameras 'unique' becuase they use Memory Stick Pro Duo cards rather than SD cards, which means you have to buy a bigger memory card for more. Unique? last time I checked, you didn't have to pay extra for a sitty newgen optical drive for the 360 - that was optional, meaning you don't have to waste money. And, with the 360, you have a choice between Blue-ray and HDDVD. When did 'unique' mean 'crap underdevelopped about-to-die useless tech which you have to buy for no reason'?

Posted by hypnotize_

There's no way this is gonna happen. People are not going to keep buying the Ps3 at an increased rate, or even a constant rate. After all of the excitement goes down, the Ps3 sales will too because it is only a few months old.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

Quoting higbvuyb: That means that PS3 sales per month has to increase by a factor of four within 3 years or something, if I got that right. And I don't see PS3 sales increasing dramatically any time.

And one of their 'chapters' in their report is titled 'Nintendo and Sony offer unique products'. When was the PS3 unique? It's basically a PS2 with updated graphics and a Blue-ray drive. I can see people calling the Wii unique, but a crap Blue-ray drive isn't going to help anyone. That's almsot as bad as like calling Sony Digital Cameras 'unique' becuase they use Memory Stick Pro Duo cards rather than SD cards, which means you have to buy a bigger memory card for more. Unique? last time I checked, you didn't have to pay extra for a sitty newgen optical drive for the 360 - that was optional, meaning you don't have to waste money. And, with the 360, you have a choice between Blue-ray and HDDVD. When did 'unique' mean 'crap underdevelopped about-to-die useless tech which you have to buy for no reason'?

... its still unique, SixAxis is on no other system, Wii has the same thing but im sure its not made exactly the same, therefore it is unique for the ps3. Also, Ps3 has Blu-ray, which is unique b/c xbox has HD-Dvd. It doesnt matter if it deserves credit for it, the fact is, it IS unique. Not to mention the true HD of games on Blu-ray and HDMI other than screwing the resolution on dvds like the xbox does for games.

Also, stop complaining about the Blu-ray being included. It was actually very smart because now they actually have a chance of getting Blu-ray to overcome Hd-Dvds. I'm just a bit sick of all the complaining, deal with it. I don't complain every friggin' two seconds about how my 360 always broke down when I first got it, in EVERY xbox 360 forum there is.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah... tilt sure is unique. Even more unique to video games!

And wow, a stupid, new DVD format is being implemented in hopes of beating another stupid, new DVD format! Smart move!

Posted by higbvuyb

Tilt, eh? Tilt sensors wouldn't be that lame control method that just got superseded a few months ago by acceleration sensors, like the Wii has?

And only an idiot would make such an unnecessary feature like Blue-ray standard. It just means that you HAVE to pay more, you can't jsut choose not to get it, as with an optional extra.

And, I've got another unique SOny feature: An unergonomic controller.