Dexter's House!

Posted by Dexter

It's time to fulfill one of my goals in life, which is to build a house! Ever since enjoying Lego toys as a kid I thought about how exciting, creative, and overwhelming it would be to build my own place. I never thought I would be able to do it so soon in life, but it's all coming together nicely. We got city cooperation, loans, helpers, etc.

The girls are going to help out and it's just going to be a blast, an episode in our sitcom that will bring us all closer together. Something we'll look back on one day and be like "those were the days." It won't be easy, for building houses it hard labor. It's physically difficult and mentally difficult. You have to organize so much and you have to make sure you work with city code and keeping the finances intact isn't easy either. The process might be going smooth one moment and terrible the next. There'll be plenty of risks involved.

We'll come out of it stronger though. After you've built a house, most other projects seem trivial in comparison, I'm sure. I'm a big fan of creating things. I've built dog-houses, tree-houses, dolls, costumes, etc. 2007 is the year for building a house!

So how about some ideas? I mean seriously, I want to do some creative, perhaps even innovative things with this place. Keep in mind that this place isn't permanent. I don't plan on staying in Oregon after I'm done with more schooling, so the place will eventually get sold, so keep the ideas as realistic as possible, although goofy ideas are welcome, too. w/e

I want a speaker-system within the walls linking to every room with a mic system and a master panel! I was also thinking about a tube system, much like you would see at a bank, where you slip the checks/money into and it goes through the tube to the lady in the bank. idk how much it would be used and to how many rooms I'd want it linked to, but I think that would be cool. Any more ideas?

So tomorrow starts this epic project. I got equipment coming for the dig out (big toys = fun!). Daylight should be gone by the time I'm done with this mission. I'm going to try and get before/after pictures as I go along and I'll keep you all updated with the progress report. My winter term starts up in about a week so that'll slow progress down just a little, but I definitely aim to finish this project within the first-half of 2007. I set my classes up for two days a week, the least I could get.

Take your guesses on how long you think this project will take me. Whoever was the closest by the time I'm done wins...something. I'll think of something cool to get you by that time and we'll celebrate a dream come true! yay! ^_^

Posted by Slade

Wow, sounds exciting. How big is the house going to be? If there is an upstairs you should have a twisty slide. :3

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Take your guesses on how long you think this project will take me. Whoever was the closest by the time I'm done wins...something. I'll think of something cool to get you by that time and we'll celebrate a dream come true! yay! ^_^

How big is the house? Without any knowledge, I'll say four years, eight months, two weeks, three days, sixteen hours, fifty-seven minutes, thirty-two seconds. Give or take.

Also, the prize: A free trip to your house and a week's stay.

Posted by NES Queen

are you just remodeling your current house, or building a new one from scratch? either way, if your planning on any serious building type of stuff you'll need minimum of 6 months I'd say. although you have experience with Legos and making costumes, acting as a general contractor while building an actual home is a completely new ball game.

the pneumatic tube idea is pretty futuristic and neato. even if you only end up hooking one up from say your bathroom to the laundry room for your stinky clothes, I think it would be neat. or from the front door to your office area so you can shoot your mail back and forth. we have a tube system at the hospital so they can zip up the blood samples to us in the lab right away and its always fun to watch (quite noisy though). at the very least you should put in a dumb waiter, i'm sure that would be an easier project.

I hope I'm not dating myself once again, but if you remember the tv show Webster, he lived in a pretty neat house. all kinds of hidden staircases, secret rooms, tunnels... things of that nature.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Slade: Wow, sounds exciting. How big is the house going to be? If there is an upstairs you should have a twisty slide. :3

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/housedesign.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/housedesign4.jpg[/IMG]

There's the design. Took me a long time to find one I was comfortable with and I'm still not 100% going with this. I'm altering a few things, especially with the bathrooms, but it'll give you a good idea on the size, shape, etc. No upstairs. I wanted something basic and easy to deal with but still nice and family-friendly.

Quoted post: I'll say four years, eight months, two weeks, three days, sixteen hours, fifty-seven minutes, thirty-two seconds. Give or take.

Four years! What an insult. I'm not building a castle here. I better not even still be living in Oregon in four years!

Quoted post: Also, the prize: A free trip to your house and a week's stay.

That's actually a good idea.

Quoted post: are you just remodeling your current house, or building a new one from scratch?

Scratch, basically. I started with land.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/PICT0001.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/PICT0002.jpg[/IMG]

These are some shots I took when I woke up. Looks like trash now, but give it time and it'll pull through. The guy who I was renting the machine from to dig it out today never even showed up with the goods! There I was, all pumped up to start the mission and he never even showed! What a disappointing start.

Although I got a bunch of other things done. Took down the Christmas lights, located pipes, eradicated some bamboo, and knocked down some of the surrounding fence. Bamboo is strong! I never realized how powerful it actually is. It definitely was the boss of today's level.

Quoted post: you'll need minimum of 6 months I'd say

This is what I'm aiming for. Definitely want it done before Christmas next year. I have big plans for a light show!

Quoted post: building an actual home is a completely new ball game.

That's part of the attraction for me. I could use a good challenge.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

A year and three fourths. My prize? You throw a party and invite me, my best friend, and DA.

Oh, and good luck man. This is quite awesome.

Quoted post: Four years! What an insult. I'm not building a castle here. I better not even still be living in Oregon in four years!

Change four to one and bam. That's my guess.

And I like SR's idea. Do that. I CAN'T LOSE

Posted by NES Queen

I'm still confused, are you actually going to build it yourself or are you just planning on doing the design portion and then hiring professionals to actually do the build? I don't want to doubt your abilities or enthusiasm to tackle such a huge project, but you need to be realistic or you'll just end up disappointed.

I don't remember the name of the family, but there was a show on tv about some gigantic family with like 20 children who all were working together to build themselves a new house. Ended up taking them 6 years to finish it.

Again, I think your enthusiasm and goal is commemerable, but its going to be tough. My only criticism about your floor plan is there's only 2 bedrooms. Would that be sufficient for your seemingly ever growing family?

Posted by Omni

Quoting NES Queen: My only criticism about your floor plan is there's only 2 bedrooms. Would that be sufficient for your seemingly ever growing family?

It's built that way for wicked slumber parties.

Posted by Killer Jordo

That looks like a good piece of land. Hope everything goes good for you.

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, the house I'm in now is way bigger, but we usually all sleep in only one or two rooms, depending on whether or not we play games that night or watch a movie. We kinda all fall asleep wherever. Slumber party every night! Last night, for instance, everyone fell asleep in the gaming room while watching me tackle some Zelda.

Quoted post: I'm still confused, are you actually going to build it yourself or are you just planning on doing the design portion and then hiring professionals to actually do the build?

I'm going to do as much as possible as on own. I wish I could do it all by myself, but there are some things that I simply can't do. I can't do the electricians job because you need a license. Same with plumping and a few other things. Whatever I can do, however, I'm going to try and do. I'll have help when I need it. Everyone wants to toil with me, so I'm not too worried about being low on labor. We could have huge picnics and blast some Therion as we work! If I ever get stuck on a project without knowing what to do, I'm sure I'll find someone who can help me. We'll see. I'll be keeping everyone updated with pictures of what I've done. You guys can offer up some ideas as I go along.

Even if this is a failure and I run out of money or mess up big time, it's all good. At least I tried. I'm sure I'll learn something from the whole experience, whether it is a success or a failure. I've already learned how powerful bamboo is and I have a feeling I'm going to learn a lot about working with others during this venture.

The dude, we'll call him Dug, I was renting the digging vehicle from didn't show up today either! That's two days late and I can't stand for that. I called him up and he said he'd definitely get it to me by tomorrow, which kinda sucks because I wanted to have had the land digged up and the vehicle returned by tomorrow. See, I'm on top of things here, in with the latest fashion and all, but it's the other people that are slowing me down!

Quoted post: I don't remember the name of the family, but there was a show on tv about some gigantic family with like 20 children who all were working together to build themselves a new house. Ended up taking them 6 years to finish it.

Don't plant the doubt, the fear! With fear comes a hindrance mixed with a dreaded lack of motivation and perhaps some procrastination, but with courage, oh sweet courage, comes productivity and success! I have to be brave like a Viking and toil in my land until my ancestors bestow me with their wondrous gifts!

But it is true, tons of people think what I'm doing is silly. They believe it is doomed for failure. They know I have taken on some big task in my days and came out successful, but nothing this huge before. 'You're too young, don't allow your pride to lead you to foolishness.' They'll see. I'll show them that I can do this. I gotta be like Sora from Kaleido Star and follow my dreams, no matter what everyone keeps telling me. I know I can do it as long as I keep trying. With faith and my pride, I'll win and show them that dreams are possible!

Posted by Linko_16

You're going to hide a laboratory in it, aren't you?

Laboratory = dungeon shhhh

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Linko_16: You're going to hide a laboratory in it, aren't you?

If he does it's going to be for me, seing as how I'm the science geek extraordinaire and all.

Dex, I'm not trying to doubt you or jinx your project for failure. I honestly wish you the best of luck with it. I'm just amazed (and slightly jealous) that you have the finances and will power to undertake such a project.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting NES Queen: Dex, I'm not trying to doubt you or jinx your project for failure.

oh I know. I just used what you said to bring up another point and mention Kaleido Star. ^_~

What a day. It finally went good, unlike the last couple days. I got my ingenious, expensive toys and tools, did the work, and admired it. I feel good about today's work. I didn

Posted by Dexter

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/finish6.jpg[/IMG]

Today's project progress! yay! Took me about 8 hours.

Posted by NES Queen

are we looking at the front of the house, or is the front on the right side where it looks like you framed out a spot for stairs of some sort?

SMALL HOUSE IS SMALL

Posted by Pit

thats a room.

Posted by Zeta

It's a closet.

Posted by Crazy K

Good luck with building your house. I know I would be overwhelmed to make my own house, it also does not help if I can't build a shelf to start with.

Anyways I like the design plans you got so far.

That's a big room.

Posted by Slade

Heh, the only picture that has loaded for me is the furry thing in the dirt.
LOOKING GOOD, BUDDY

But yeah, if you get this done then you'll have no choice but to hold a massive party like SR said. I don't even live that far away from you, as far as I can tell, so WOOOOOOOO

Posted by bazariah

Quoting Dexter: But it is true, tons of people think what I'm doing is silly. They believe it is doomed for failure. They know I have taken on some big task in my days and came out successful, but nothing this huge before. 'You're too young, don't allow your pride to lead you to foolishness.' They'll see. I'll show them that I can do this. I gotta be like Sora from Kaleido Star and follow my dreams, no matter what everyone keeps telling me. I know I can do it as long as I keep trying. With faith and my pride, I'll win and show them that dreams are possible!

dude i say keep up with it and never ever take onboard the so-called "advice" people may give about it being a humongous undertaking, i understand that you knew about how hard the job would be before taking it on...

with the right amount of dedication, financing and time you'll get the job done

or die tying...

Posted by Slade

It's true. Tying is the most deadly part, what with the danger and potential harm to your person involved. Be careful, Dexy.

**** your sarcasm. My grandfather died tying. He told me to never follow in his footstep and just quit before I even start. Tying isn't worth it. You have so much to live for.

Posted by Zeta

Sudden mental image of Vamp tripping over his untied shoelaces into some sort of object that results in death.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting NES Queen: are we looking at the front of the house, or is the front on the right side where it looks like you framed out a spot for stairs of some sort?

The front is actually on the left side. I'll try taking a picture facing the front tomorrow.

Quoted post: SMALL HOUSE IS SMALL

No way. It's an optical illusion. Don't be fooled by such trickery. That's an average size house, if not a bit larger. Really, you'll see how big it is soon enough.

Quoted post: I know I would be overwhelmed to make my own house, it also does not help if I can't build a shelf to start with.

Hey, don't think this is a walk in the park for me. I spend hours on something that would take minutes for an actual contractor. My Lego talent doesn't always come in use for some projects. I'm starting to notice how weak I am when it comes to making proper measurements. My mathematical skills is lacking significantly. Putting it to practice like I'm doing will certainly strengthen it though. Just in time for a math class I start the day after tomorrow. School's going to be slowing down my house progress greatly, but I got a bunch of lighting stuff today so I'll be able to work in the dark. That will be fun!

Quoted post: Heh, the only picture that has loaded for me is the furry thing in the dirt.

That's Sparth. He was playing in a puddle of water today.

Quoted post: Sudden mental image of Vamp tripping over his untied shoelaces into some sort of object that results in death.

Like the house, it's as though his death was part of a design!

The city inspector came by today to scrutinize the situation. He's all like "do you have a Honey Bucket?" and I'm all like "wtf?" and he's like "an out-house?" and I'm like "oh, that. No, why?" and then he's like "construction sites are required to have one" and I'm like "you win, it'll be here tomorrow." So now I have to order some ugly Honey Bucket.

Anyway, I need an appropriate name for the house. Any suggestions?

Posted by Ant

The Furry Palace.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

The Wolfy Den

Quoted post: No way. It's an optical illusion. Don't be fooled by such trickery. That's an average size penis, if not a bit larger. Really, you'll see how big it is soon enough.

That's how I read it. Still looks small.

"The Cat's Pajamas" the key is everyone has to wear PJs all the time when in the house. And cats. Cats too.

Posted by Proto Man

I know I know, I'm going to get shot for this.... BUT I CAN'T FRIGGIN RESIST!

Dexter's Lab

Posted by Shade

Instant win.

Lookin good, Dex. Lookin good.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Honeysuckle Cottage.

The UK's 47th most popular house name!

Posted by Shade

Obsure referance is obscuuuuuuuuure.

Posted by Zeta

Potato Plaza.

Posted by Dexter

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/P1016266.jpg[/IMG]

If I decided to sell, I would make enough money to live off of for more than a year. It's actually a good business once you get organized, financially.

There's snow in your house.

Posted by NES Queen

you could turn it into an ice skating rink

Posted by Shade

At least he has snow where he lives.

:mad:

Posted by Dexter

I love snow, but it does slow things down significantly. Everything seems to hurt more in the snow and projects take longer and I just get tired faster. I couldn't pour the concrete when the ground was frozen so I lost a few days, but it's all good now.

It turns out my older sister wants to buy the house, which is terrific for the both of us. She was looking for a place around here and she likes the house design and the idea of being able to choose how she wants things as it's being built.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/P1016355.jpg[/IMG]

I should have a better looking update by tomorrow.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/P1016360.jpg[/IMG]

Dog that likes to come check on me from time to time.

Posted by Slade

Ugh. I know how much of a pain mixing and pouring concrete can be. It looks like good work, though.

Why do those dogs always look so depressed? :(

Posted by Zeta

His eyes scare me. :(

Looking great so far, Dex. Keep up the good job. :)

Posted by Omni

Hey, I used to have two hound dogs just like that one! Except not so depressed looking. Oh, and lookin' good with the house there, too, Dexter. Remember to have fun!

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I always bol when I see bassets.

Looks like the house is coming along. Is there going to be a bird room? ;)

Posted by Shade

Is there going to be a Koalla themed room?

Posted by Slade

Is there gonna be a slip n' slide?

Posted by Shade

All the rooms should be connected by slides. That'd be so badass.

Posted by Ant

you should decorate it with the furs of various animals.

Posted by NES Queen

but that would mean he would have to kill them, or stalk them until they died naturally and hope to be able to wash out the mange and vermin.

Posted by WackoHater

You guys don't dig into the ground to put footers in, you just start pouring on top of a gravel base?

What are the pods in the cardboard boxes for Dexter, is that a base for load bearing walls under the concrete floor?

Since you do not dig down 2' in the ground for footings, does that mean you backfill earth around the foundation later to stabilize it?

Posted by Dexter

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/P1016362.jpg[/IMG]

I would dig if it were a two story house, but with what I'm doing, I think pouring concrete into the cardboard will work good enough. Sturdy, simple, quick.

I feel like it's bedtime. So tired. The girls are going to cook me a delicious dinner while I take a shower and then we're going to watch anime. It's going to be nice. Life feels better after some suffering. Food taste better, sitting down is more comfy, being with friends is more rewarding.

Posted by WackoHater

What are you doing the cardboard box pods for anyway, you never answered ?

Posted by Pit

our house wont last much. im gonna falcon punch it

Posted by Dexter

Quoting WackoHater: What are you doing the cardboard box pods for anyway, you never answered ?

Cardboard is so I get the proper shape for inspection. The blocks are for support. It's got to be solid and strong.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/P1017349.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/P1017348.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/P1017358.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/P1017363.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/P1017360.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/P1017361.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/P1017359.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/P1017356.jpg[/IMG]

I'm making my plans on how to frame the fireplace tonight and hopefully by the end of tomorrow it'll be framed. It'll probably take me the entire day.

AND TOY TRUCKS ARE SO MUCH FUN!

Posted by Omni

Wow, that's some major progress since last time. :)

Posted by Shade

Looks great man. I could never do all of that. o_O

Did you get to work all the cranes and ****?

Posted by Crazy K

Looks pretty **** good so far. Keep up the good work. ;)

Looks pretty gay.

Posted by maian

You're progressing amazingly fast. It's really rad, nonetheless. It'll be interesting to watch the progress.

Posted by JRequalizer

That's actually pretty awesome.

Posted by S

Every time I think I have you figured out, Dexter, you always seem to blow me away with something ****in' out of the blue. Not that that's a bad thing, but ****. House looks good.

Posted by Dexter

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/IMG_0041.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/House/IMG_0052.jpg[/IMG]

Wow, good job, dude. Pretty nice little house. Inside photos?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'M STOKED.

... And a little jealous.

Posted by Crazy K

Wow! Fantastic job there Dexter. ;)

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I like the entrance. Good job on the house. And yeah, where are the indoor pics?