Can you still stand N64 graphics?

Posted by Victorious1

After seeing some current and next-generation graphics, it became kinda hard to go back to the good old N64 days. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of excellent looking N64 games, which are really good compared to the system's hardware. But I tried playing Ocarina of Time for example a couple of days ago on my N64, and the graphics are just...not too good.

So do you think N64's graphics are good enough to actually enjoy playing a game?

And which N64 game do you think has the best graphics?

Posted by Kit

I'm not too bothered about the graphics, personally, so I'd happily play an N64, if I had one.

Posted by Dexter

I can play games, regardless of whether or not it has good graphics. If the game's fun, I’m all there. I can still easily play NES and Super NES games without being annoyed by out-dated graphics. There are still plenty of Nintendo 64 games I play. The graphics in Melee are better than that of the original, but the original Super Smash is still an enjoyable game.

Posted by Tyler Durden

True to their roots, die-hard gamers will often return to the older games. That being said because I myself, find alot of the titles being presented today with their flashy graphic advances and higher quality in gameplay: seem to end up as overdone, and complicatingly boring sometimes. I would rather play the hell out of Super Mario Bros. 3, before returning to Gears of War anytime soon.

Posted by Omni

I still play N64, more in fact than my GCN. I don't have a Wii, yet.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Yeah, I find myself playing with the N64 more over, than my GCN. I don't have a Wii yet, either. Which would probably make me giggle foolishly like a schoolgirl everytime I'd have to explain myself to someone else: "I'm going to play with my Wii!"

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Graphics aren't the only thing that makes a game. Disregarding games because of their 'inferior' graphics is pathetic.

Posted by MrQuicksilver

The [COLOR="Yellow"]Graphics[/COLOR] arent that bad, but it would be [COLOR="Cyan"]cool[/COLOR] if a company purchased the licenses for some of the top games and re-vamped them to [COLOR="Red"]HD[/COLOR] quality for next-gen consols and PC

Posted by Dexter

Even if they did that, I have a feeling I'd still play the originals. More nostalgic. I'd check them out though.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Dexter: Even if they did that, I have a feeling I'd still play the originals. More nostalgic. I'd check them out though.

I'm the same way. While I did enjoy FF1&2:DoS, I liked the old versions more, with their bad graphics and sound. I got the new versions for the sake of having and knowing, but I prefer the charm of the games as they were meant to be played. All buggy and full of frustrating, difficult glitches.

N64 graphics aren't good compared to the Wii or the PS3, I guess.

I just never thought I'd see the day when people talked about how the N64's graphics were so bad that it makes it tough to enjoy games.

Quite frankly, I don't need good graphics. And neither do most gamers. Those who do aren't true video gamers.

Take "Tetris" for example. Sure, there have been spin-offs like Tetris 2 and Tetrisphere (loved it), but the original game is still very popular, and very fun. I've played Tetris for hours on end, just round after round trying to beat my old score. The game is fun, and the graphics are so simple.

You know, there was this PS2 game with excellent graphics. It was called "Britney's Dance Beat", and it featured Britney Spears. That game had outstanding graphics. But the gameplay was really stupid. The music was worse, but the gameplay was pretty bad.

A good video game is about good gameplay. The graphics are supposed to support the gameplay. You see, to develop a game with catchy gameplay is quite a thing to do. You have to think about it and figure a lot of stuff out to try and make the gameplay appealing and fun. You have to have a good imagination and at the same time, limit your wild imagination so that you keep it simple enough that anyone could enjoy it.

Graphics, on the other hand, aren't anything spectacular or thought-provoking, if you ask me. Anyone can spend 3 years at DeVry or ITT and learn how to make graphics move around based on input commands. Having good graphics is oftentimes a cover-up for gameplay that is less-than-attractive because it's much easier to have good graphics than it is come up with something original and fun.

Jesus Christ, I ramble on way too much.

Anyway, I like the N64's graphics just fine. I like it as much as I like the Atari 2600's graphics, or the NES's graphics. As long as they support the gameplay and make a good interface for the game itself, I'm okay with them.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: I still play N64, more in fact than my GCN.
Probably because gamecube blows.

I personally can't stand N64 graphics anymore. It's hideous. But yet I can still play stuff from the SNES and Sega era and not be disgusted by the visuals.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]They're not so bad. Obviously, if you compare them to the graphics for the Wii games, it's MUCH better, but I'll always stand them. Most of the games are awesome and it's not basic graphics that'll stop me from playing.[/COLOR]

Posted by Omni

Quoting Last Fog: Probably because gamecube blows.

What the **** are you smoking? You'd better have been high when you wrote that. Oh, and graphics don't matter to me as much as replay value and fun factor. That goes for any system.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]What do you have against people liking the GC PHM? I personally like the GC, I think it's a great console. Not the best one, but it kicks. Respect people's opinions ok?[/COLOR]

Posted by Vasioth

Actually, Xero, this isn't critism to a high point but you just contradicted yourself. Read what he stated carefully. He was actually asking why LF thought it blows.

Oh yeah, and just to state, I don't give a **** about Graphics. I mean, I know people who go "Oh look at the graphics on this Xbox360, it totally owns for this game" and they sit there playing it. But they have a bored expression on their face because the gameplay in the game is ****. And yet, they may lie and go "It was the greatest game ever".

And yeah, I enjoy playing games on it now and again. Mainly Lylat wars and Majora's Mask :) .

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]LF stated that the GC blows. PHM quoted that saying "Are you on a high? What did you smoke?". That shows pretty much that he doesn't agree no? [/COLOR]

Posted by Vasioth

Quoting Xero: What do you have against people liking the GC PHM?

But this pretty much state's that you were defending somebody who "liked" the GC but they "didn't" or thought they were rubbish.

Get what I'm meaning ;) ! I'm just stated, Lol. So basically, its playful comments on a mistake.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: What the **** are you smoking? You'd better have been high when you wrote that. Oh, and graphics don't matter to me as much as replay value and fun factor. That goes for any system.
You can count the number of good exclusives on one hand. Gamecube is the most useless piece of technology I have ever had the misfortune of wasting my money on.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Oh ok I see.[/COLOR]

Posted by Greasyhead

I also hate Gamecube. You can count the number of good exclusives on one finger IMO.

Posted by Dexter

I have trouble deciding what system I liked more, the Nintendo 64 or the Nintendo Game Cube. The Game Cube had some amazing games. Super Smash, Fire Emblem, Starfox Adventures, Tales of Symphonia, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario, Baten Kaitos, Animal Crossing, Wind Waker, etc. I think there's a really impressive selection on both systems. Definitely more RPG games on the Cube and probably better multiplayer. What seems to be missing most from the Cube selection when compared to the Nintendo 64 is adventure-type games. The Cube could've used a few more like Banjo-Kazooie or Conker. Not many people enjoyed Starfox Adventures like I did. TimesSplitters: Future Perfect was the Cube's best FPS, too, and it wasn't an exclusive, although I liked it best on the Cube.

Posted by Abendigo

hi i'm new. :)

i still luv the n64's graphics. they are 3D - what more do you need?

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Abendigo: what more do you need?

More RPGs.

Posted by Abendigo

Quoting Dexter: More RPGs.

but... we're talking about graphics ;-)

Posted by Dexter

How about some HD, then?

Posted by Proto Man

N64 for the win! I just got another one from my friend. I haven't played N64 since my original one broke over 5 years ago. Now I have it again, and am loving it! Yes I do notice the graphics, but it makes me laugh, because we used to think that was the living in!

Posted by Dexter

I know it. I remember being amazed by the boss explosions in Star Fix 64. I was all like "I can't believe I was able to afford this!"

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Dexter: I know it. I remember being amazed by the boss explosions in Star Fix 64. I was all like "I can't believe I was able to afford this!"

Back then my dad said after the N64, it couldn't get any better than that, that the next best thing would be VR. lol We still aren't completely there yet.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Dexter: More RPGs.

Too true. The N64 was quite lacking in the RPG department. For this reason, I owned a Playstation long before an N64.

For graphics, N64 was mind blowing at the time. I remember the first time I played Super Mario 64, I couldn't believe what I was playing. As well, Mario spoke a lot. He'd grunt or moan when he got hit, he'd say "Yahoo!!" when he jumped really high... Plus, the graphics were remarkable. I'm not a fan of changing things that are already awesome, you know. Like Super Mario games were great, before the N64. The typical side scrolling Super Mario Bros on NES and then SMW and Yoshi's Island for SNES were excellent. Usually, when they take a game like Super Mario and turn it from 2-D to 3-D, they'd end up ruining it in the process.

I don't think Nintendo could've done a better job making Mario into a 3-D guy.

I suppose that if Nintendo were developing SM64 today, they could do much better on the graphics than they did. But I don't see why they'd need to. The graphics supported the gameplay perfectly. They made you able to understand what you were doing and how to go about doing it, which is the purpose of graphics in a video game.

Interestingly enough, Super Mario Sunshine for Gamecube actually has better graphics than SM64, but if you ask me, SM64 is a much better game, overall. I like Sunshine and everything, but it's just not as much fun to play.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Fei-on Castor: Interestingly enough, Super Mario Sunshine for Gamecube actually has better graphics than SM64, but if you ask me, SM64 is a much better game, overall. I like Sunshine and everything, but it's just not as much fun to play.

I agree! Super Mario Sunshine was fun, but SM64 was better. It is a magical game that pulled you in and immersed you into Mario's world. Sunshine just didn't do that for me much.

Posted by Abendigo

what n64 games have you been playing photo man?

Posted by D.J Cat

Lol...photo man.

On topic:

It annoys me muchly when kids (and when i say kids I mean anyone younger than me...and some immature people my age) say that the N64 graphics are terrible or too fuzzy or things along those lines,
As such I strugle to find decent N64 opponents. :(
Cause they won't even play, the lamers.

Posted by Abendigo

sorry - a typo :(

Posted by brownoystercult

The graphics are fine, the framerate bothers me.

Posted by Creedence

I like Worms Armegedons graphics. It might not be 3d but hey, it was a big step. There still isn't any other game out there of the same style that's quite as fun. This game, however, wouldn't be fun if you didn't have a friend to play it with (at least in my opinion).

Posted by coolness432

I like the n64 a lot and the Graphic quality doesn't bother me. However other weaknesses do. For example last week me and my sister hooked up the n64 and was playing mario kart. The thing was really choppy and felt like it moved very slowly. After playing for a couple minutes it didn't bother me, just took getting used to.

Posted by darkwhispers

i luv n64 graphics. i mean they look blocky but it's still cool i wouldn't want ocarina of time any other way

Posted by D.J Cat

The graphics are definitely good enough for me, quite often they add to the charm.

Bomberman 64, Yoshi's Story anyone?

"The graphics are fine, the framerate bothers me."

Yeah I agree, although the only game that has really bothered me in that regard is Perfect Dark.
I think we should just give 2 vs 2 a miss and only have 4 players vs computer or 1 on 1s.

Posted by Xero

Bomberman64: It was a fun game. I never got really far, but the first maps were weel done.

Yoshi's Story: I played that game once and I stopped. For some reason, I didn't enjoy that game at all. Getting a bunch of fruits...nah. The graphics for this one were good too though.

Posted by Dexter

Yoshi's Story had good style and great music. I barely remember Bomberman 64. I went through that game back when it came out in, what, 1997? I went through Bomberman Hero just about a year ago, so that's more fresh in my mind. I don't recall being impressed with the graphics on that one.

Posted by Xero

Seeing as Bomberman hero came out after Bomberman64, Bomberman Hero probably had better graphics. If you didn't really like those, then chances are you didn't like them in the one for the N64.

Posted by Dexter

Actually, I don't think Bomberman Hero was better. It was kinda like comparing Turok 3 with 2, 2 being more impressive, graphically. Bomberman 64, from what little I remember, is superior to Bomberman Hero. More freedom of movement, more rewarding adventure, and just an overall better style.

Posted by Xero

I never tried Bomberman Hero, so I cannot really discuss about that with you. But for Turok, I totally agree. I played Turok 2 and went "Wow! That was a good game!" and then when Turok 3 came out, I quikcly rented it and I was totally disappointed. I never rented the game again. I sticked with Turok 2.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

I still love to play the N64 but I've been finding that some games (note to say, very few, but still) do make me feel ill after a while: Hexen being the most notorious of them all.

Posted by Desperado

Once you go back on memory lane, graphics dont matter anymore

Posted by Alastor

They don't bother me in the slightest. Granted, I'm a spriter, so I spend a lot of time looking at images from pretty much every major 2D console, plus I still don't have any of the new consoles, so I guess I'm still accustomed to outdated graphics.

The N64 controller is a different story, though.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Alastor:
The N64 controller is a different story, though.

What's wrong about it?

I got used to it very quickly. After the SNES controller, it's the easiest controller I had in my hands. :confused:

Posted by Alastor

It just takes me a while to get used to it. I'm too used to the previous gen controllers (XB, GCN, PS2), which all share a pretty similar shape. I can pick up any one of the previous gen controllers and feel right at home, but I'm kinda clunky with an N64 one for the first ten or so minutes of play. I adored it when it first came out, though.

Posted by Xero

It took me a while to get use to the GC controller after having played so long with the N64 controller. But it's strange because when I play a lot of Wii and start playing on the N64 again, I don't seem to have issues using the controller. Lucky me.

Posted by Bebop

Ive alwyas enjoyed playing older games. It reminds me of simpler times.

Posted by Creedence

I still have my 64 and I bought Megaman 64 from a Game X Change. I used to have it and thought I would play through again. Now after playing all the newer games, I thought I remembered the graphics being better, but then again look at the graphics compared to Megaman Legends for the PSX, they are a ton better, also Duke Nukem 64 had bad graphics, even for a 64 game, it was almost like Doom, but it was still an awesome game.

Also while were on the subject of controlers, the 64 controler didn't bother me, nor did the GCN or the PSX/PS2 controller, but the first time I held an Xbox controller it felt so freakin' big. It was realy strange, all the buttons were at hard places to hit. After I got used to it it was ok though.

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

Yea, graphics have never botherd me that much. I mean they'd have to be really really crappy for me to not play a game becasue it didnt look real great. but thats just me. the best graphiced N64 game ever, i'd have to say like Super Mario 64. that game was pretty good graphics.

Posted by D.J Cat

Even though the machine is 10 years old, some game STILL manage to look great.
Either through the simple styishness of some games (Paper Mario) or others with great scenery/landscapes/they just look great. (Zelda, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo Tooie, Rayman 2)
Maybe I'm weird, but i still find the water effects in Wave Race nice.
Blue Storm on the Gamecube did outdo it there though.

Posted by Xero

I still think that Super mario kart 64 has good graphics. For a race game, I think it's good enough.

I could also look at Donkey Kong 64. The ennemies are kinda well made. The worlds are well designed as well. I can't really bring it down. I enjoy it far too much.

Posted by Huoliuhi

bump the thread up.

Posted by Caer Death

Quoting MrQuicksilver: The [COLOR="Yellow"]Graphics[/COLOR] arent that bad, but it would be [COLOR="Cyan"]cool[/COLOR] if a company purchased the licenses for some of the top games and re-vamped them to [COLOR="Red"]HD[/COLOR] quality for next-gen consols and PC

Yo. They already did it. Not legally redistributing them or anything, but emulation communities always pick up on this kind of thing, and that generation might be just about the last one that gets modded left and right by the rom hacking community.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I don't play much N64 on my HDTV (except for New Tetris), but I play it on my i-Glasses all the time. I just finished Shadowgate 64 for the thousandth time, and now I've started a new game of Aidyn Chronicles. I enjoyed that game despite its considerable flaws (particularly in the graphics department), but could never bring myself to play all the way through twice. After that, I'm going to play Banjo-Tooie again, since I haven't heard when it's going to be available for Xbox Live Arcade yet.

The graphics look pretty good on the i-Glasses, and it's neat to play those old games with a pseudo-3D effect going on with them. The graphics make most N64 games unplayable on an HDTV, though. Thank goodness for the Virtual Console and Xbox Live Arcade.

Posted by Supermario

I still think the graphics looks good. :cool:

It's what Fei. said, the gameplay is what makes the game, not the graphics. If I had a Nintendo 64 I would still play thoes games that were really good at the time and still fun today. It's like playing a Nintendo (NES) game, the graphics may be simple but the game is still fun.

One of the best looking games for Nintendo 64? Maybe one of thoes wrestling games. WWF Wrestlemania 2000.