What MP3 player should I buy?

Posted by maian

Alright, I've been wanting one for a long time.

I got a Sansa 500MB player, but that's simply not enough. It holds almost 90 songs. And it's my sister's hand-me-down, so it's not in fantastic shape, either.

I have $65towards Best Buy, and I'm willing to spend more, if it's a good player. Anybody know of any good, cheap MP3 players? I've been looking into the Zen V Series. Ideally, I'd like it to have a color display, because I'm picky like that. :cookie:

Posted by higbvuyb

Sandisk Sansa e200 series is good. 2, 4, 6, or 8 gb capacity. It's basically like an iPod Nano, but better.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

What hig said. If you don't want anything with a big capacity like 20 or 30 gigs, the Sandisk is a pretty good buy.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Me personally I got an iPod video, but I recomend getting a Microsoft Zune. Those are the best around. But if you want cheap and good, go with a Creative Zen.

Posted by Crazy K

If you don't listen to much music, then I would suggest you get the Creative Zen 1GB MP3 player. I bought it about a month ago for $50 or so dollars. I then decided to bring it back because I never listen to music when I'm out somewhere. It holds up to 500 or so songs and the USB is right on the MP3 player itself. Anyways that's just a suggestion, if you are a music fanatic, I don't think 1GB is enough.

Anyways here is the link to the product (I must of bought it on sale) [URL="http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4659585"]http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4659585[/URL]

Posted by higbvuyb

the problem with those is that they don't have a colour screen, can't show pictures or video (like the sandisk can), and don't have a very good interface.

Posted by maian

Well, I'm a sucker for things with color displays and nice looking screens. :) If my Sansa had that, I'd probably be happy. I'm such a loser. :( Which is why I'm looking into the Zen V. I'll look into that Sansa product, too.

Posted by Trigger

"Hey, guys, check out this completely irrelevant picture I took of my shoe!"

You're buying it to listen to music, not for every other feature that already comes in just about every other device - phones especially. Quit being absorbed into the bullshit you don't need and take a good hard think about why you're buying it. It's not called an MP3 player because it can hold an entire collection of photos, connect to the internet, play games or brew you a fresh coffee.

Who cares if it has a colour screen or not? If you're going to be so deluded and buy something that has too much of what you don't need, buy an iPod video. You'll be wasting your money either way.

Posted by mis0

I agree with Trigger, which is why I have an iPod Shuffle, which are minutely small, don't have any useless or unnecessary crap, and are inexpenisive. They go for $80bux in the 1gig flavour, and about $130 for the 2gig. And, I've never ever had a problem with the iPod shuffle ever! The new one also has better sound output quality and better battery life.

I mainly use it in the car, and I really like it.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Misoxeny: I agree with Trigger, which is why I have an iPod Shuffle, which are minutely small, don't have any useless or unnecessary crap, and are inexpenisive. They go for $80bux in the 1gig flavour, and about $130 for the 2gig. And, I've never ever had a problem with the iPod shuffle ever! The new one also has better sound output quality and better battery life.

I mainly use it in the car, and I really like it.

The shuffle is good if you don't care if you have to listen to the first 5 seconds of every single song on your mp3 player while trying to find a specific one, forcing the player to access the flash memory several hundred times and write to memory several hundred times, depleting battery life.. And, it has inferior value for money to some other random cheap player that deosn't look as good, but actually has a screen. And radio.

Posted by Crazy K

If I were to buy an MP3 player I would not care much for color display. I just feel as though it's just a device to listen to music. I got a Digital camera to view pictures on and I could watch videos on my computer, so there is really no need to waste space on a MP3 player with pictures and videos.

Posted by Fate

I got that new Nano and it works just fine, except for the fact that a lot of my songs had to be rewritten because they weren't in the correct format.

I'm still having trouble parting with my Zen. It's so cool.
:(

Posted by G-Sides

uhh i don't know what you're talking about hig, my zen has a color screen plays videos etc :|

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Arms: uhh i don't know what you're talking about hig, my zen has a color screen plays videos etc :|

That small zen, not the big one. The one that looks a bit like a USB stick with a backlit black/white LCD screen. Like this:

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Higbvuyb]The shuffle is good if you don't care if you have to listen to the first 5 seconds of every single song on your mp3 player while trying to find a specific one, forcing the player to access the flash memory several hundred times and write to memory several hundred times, depleting battery life..
Yeah, that a screen (particularly a colour screen) would be consuming anyway! :cookie:

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Trigger: Yeah, that a screen (particularly a colour screen) would be consuming anyway! :cookie:

Except, it's got barely any space for a battery inside it, while the iPod nano, for example, has a battery significantly larger than the entire shuffle. Now, if only Apple allowed you to turn the screen off after an 'idle' period when the controls aren't being touched. But, Apple was never very good at making OSes anyway, other than a small amount of talent in the 'simplicity over features' department.

Posted by Sean Fury

I'm quite content with my 30 GB Ipod. Music, photos, and videos (podcasts too, whatever). All quite nice. The only thing I dislike about it is that it gets fingerprints all over it and that bugs me.

Quoted post: (podcasts too, whatever).

because no other mp3 player can play them, right?

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: because no other mp3 player can play them, right?

I was just saying them seperate because they're different from regular movies and etc. Usually, anyway.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Sean Fury: The only thing I dislike about it is that it gets fingerprints all over it and that bugs me.

Maybe if you didn't have greasy fingers, that wouldn't happen. I also find that the click wheel is the only part of my iPod that I ever touch.

By the way, I have a 60GB iPod video so I win.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: Maybe if you didn't have greasy fingers, that wouldn't happen. I also find that the click wheel is the only part of my iPod that I ever touch.

Than how the hell do you carry it around? In a plastic baggy?

Posted by Trigger

More like a video iPod protective 'sock' or wallet. My boyfriend bought a leather case for his that only leaves the click wheel and screen exposed (unless the front flap is down), and so the rest never gets touched.

Posted by Sean Fury

**** that's convienent. I need to look into iPod accessories I think.

Quoted post: Maybe if you didn't have greasy fingers, that wouldn't happen. I also find that the click wheel is the only part of my iPod that I ever touch.

Spoilers: skin will always have oil on them. Thus, fingerprints. You can't avoid it unless you literally avoid touching it with bare skin.

Also: iskin evo = **** win

Posted by Omni

Quoting Sean Fury: Than how the hell do you carry it around? In a plastic baggy?

My iPod is in a protective casing, and only the click wheel, port, and the hold switch are exposed.