Nine Inch Nails

Posted by Omni

One of the greatest things to happen to music in the last 20 years. I was going to make this thread a while ago, but I never got around to it until now. Trent Reznor, who is pretty much the only real member of the band, is a musical genius, and his next album is coming out sometime this year! I can't wait. I know there's a few other people on VGC who are fans of his work.

P.S.
If you haven't listened to Nine Inch Nails, do it now. I recommend Pretty Hate Machine or The Downward Spiral as a starting point, but Trent hasn't really released anything that isn't at least decent.

Posted by WackoHater2

Good band. I had listened to NIN before I met you, but never much. Only a few songs. Mainly "The Hand That Feeds" because I heard it on Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition. But yeah, good music. Pretty Hate Machine has a lot of good songs.

Posted by Omni

Aside from the songs on Pretty Hate Machine that were released as singles, "Something I Can Never Have" and "Terrible Lie" are choice album cuts in my opinion, although the whole album is very consistent in terms of quality. Every NIN album has at least a few outstanding songs on it. With Teeth is arguably Trent's weakest release, but it still has several good songs on it. "Sunspots" is my choice for an album cut there, and I found "Only" to be one of the worst NIN songs ever released as a single.

Posted by Killer Jordo

:cool:

Enough said.

Posted by Omni

Jordo, you've heard like 3 of Trent's songs, right?

Posted by Sean Fury

I like most of what I've heard from NIN, which I've really got no clue what any of it was (I should probably go download their discography again). But I'm not a true fan of them, I liked a few songs a lot, but I couldn't really get into them.

Posted by Omni

If you got on AIM/MSN with me, Sean, I could probably show you a few decent songs by them you haven't heard.

Posted by S

Trent Reznor has to be one of the only people I'd choose to meet in this world. His understanding of music and intensity is outstanding. I can't say I agree with you on his best songs, personally, but that's just musical taste. I think With Teeth is one of his better albums, but not the best. I'm a personal fan of Only, With Teeth, Right Where it Belongs, The Line Begins to Blur, Every Day is Exactly the Same, and You Know What You Are?.

Besides that however, I believe that The Downward Spiral and The Fragile are his bests. I personally prefer most of The Fragile's music, however, The Downward Spiral is just that much more classic for some reason. The Downward Spiral was my first NIN album, so it may always wear the crown in my eyes.

My favorite songs have to be: Even Deeper, Just Like You Imagined, The Great Below, The Wretched, Eraser, Reptile, The Becoming, and last but not least, Hurt.

Posted by Omni

Oh, "The Wretched" was an underrated song. I forgot about how awesome that song was til just now. I think "We're In This Together" is my favorite song by Nine Inch Nails. The Fragile received some unfairly harsh reviews, in my opinion.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Terrible band. No redeeming factors to mention.

Posted by Omni

David Bowie seems to like them, and I trust his opinion on music.

Posted by S

And Johnny Cash seemed to enjoy his music as well. The cover of Hurt must have been a huge honor.

Johnny Cash sucked though.

And David Bowie can like the Backstreet Boys and still be awesome.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Lunairetic: And Johnny Cash seemed to enjoy his music as well. The cover of Hurt must have been a huge honor.

Totally Rick Rubin's idea to have Cash do that song. He is known for having artists he produces albums for cover songs from outside their own genre. He had Johnny cover a lot of songs by unusual artists suck as Beck and Soundgarden.

Rick Rubin sucks.

Posted by Omni

I don't much like his production style, either. Doesn't he do mainly rap & heavy metal? He leaves the music sounding really dry, I think. It might just be me, though, who thinks so.

Well, he's not completely terrible. He produced Danzig's early albums which are pretty good along with a couple other notable releases... but overall, eh. But I actually don't recall him producing rap besides Run-DMC. RHCP, Slayer, Tom Petty, AC/DC and so on.

Posted by Raptor

No one mentioned Broken. I consider that EP to be right up there with the likes of The Fragile and Pretty Hate Machine. It's the loudest and angriest NIN album of them all, and it should not be forgotten.

NIN influenced the evolution of my musical tastes to a huge extent. They have certainly served as my gateway to similar artists such as Razed in Black, Project Pitchfork, and Apoptygma Berzerk.

Posted by Omni

Broken is my favorite work by Nine Inch Nails, actually. I think Reznor called it "an ultra-fast chunk of death" in an interview, and I have to agree.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

nine inch nails is for fags.

Posted by Raptor

I'll have to go ahead and declare that The Fragile is my favourite NIN work. It is simply a masterpiece from start to finish. The Downward Spiral was also a masterpiece, but it still didn't affect me as tremendously as The Fragile did. When I embarked on one of my first moonlit wanders down at South Point with the beautifully haunting song "Even Deeper" coursing through my mind, it was magical.

Posted by Omni

A lot of people hated the severe changes in his style between The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, but I've grown to appreciate the heavy layered sound on his newer material.

Posted by Raptor

The Fragile took me a long, long time to absorb. It's a very complex, difficult album, especially in comparison to his previous works, most of which seem to be much more easily accessible. Even factoring in the hit songs from the album (and it really wasn't a hit song type of album), The Fragile's true beauty lies in the sum of its parts.

Posted by Omni

Yeah, there was a lot of good material on it. A lot of people bashed him for taking so long to come out with a new album and then drastically changing his style when it was finally released. I think they wanted a pop album or something, because they definitely missed the concept of a concept album.

Posted by Raptor

It makes me wish fewer people would sob and whine and carry on about an artist or band "selling out" or "betraying the fans" when they decide to change their musical style, whether that style happens to appeal to a wider or more select audience. I believe Reznor did the best thing by releasing The Fragile, when he did. It's a very progressive album, and a gigantic leap forward from his work in the mid-90's.

Posted by S

Of a relatively similar note, The Fragile's song "Just Like You Imagined" is the main theme for the new movie coming out called "300." The intro tuned together with this song gave me the shakes last night. I'll be seeing this movie in iMAX, and even though I'd have seen it whether or not The Fragile was in it, it just makes it even more worthy of seeing.

Posted by Raptor

Good thing. It's such a stellar instrumental, yet seemingly so tragically overlooked.

Posted by S

It was my title on here for quite awhile, I put it right up there with Eraser.

Posted by Obscurum Contagiion

I admitt that I liked NIN when I was about like 13....
that was when I did not know what good music was.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Obscurum Contagiion: I admitt that I liked NIN when I was about like 13....
that was when I did not know what good music was.

And you still don't, apparently.

Posted by Obscurum Contagiion

Quoting Raptor: And you still don't, apparently.

can you give one good reason why you think that

He finds animals sexually attractive.

Posted by Klarth

np Nine Inch Nails - "My Violent Heart" [4:19] (Year Zero 2007) [320kbs]

New song released today. Found on a USB drive in a bathroom at a NIN show in Portugal.

http://0at.org/media/nine_inch_nails_my_violent_heart.mp3

The song kicks. Furthermore, someone ran the static at the end through FL studio...

Posted by Omni

Thanks, Klarth.

Has anyone seen the live videos for "Not So Pretty Now" and "Non-Entity" on the internet? You can easily find them on YouTube. Those are supposedly on the next album, too.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: Thanks, Klarth.

Has anyone seen the live videos for "Not So Pretty Now" and "Non-Entity" on the internet? You can easily find them on YouTube. Those are supposedly on the next album, too.

Those are not tracks in Year Zero. Tracklisting as of now is here:

Year Zero is supposedly "the soundtrack to a movie that doesn't yet exist".

The following websites are involved with the ARG (Remember I Love Bees for Halo 2?) going on with the album's release.

http://www.iamtryingtobelieve.com/
http://anotherversionofthetruth.com/
http://105thairbornecrusaders.com/
http://www.consolidatedmailsystems.com/
http://bethehammer.net/
http://churchofplano.com/

It started with someone lining up the highlighted letters from one of the tour shirts from this year, revealing "I am trying to believe." It all came from that.

I've been following the ARG more than anything else right now - it's really consuming. However, I got this this morning:

http://ieatbees.com/music/Nine_Inch_Nails_-_Survivalism(YEAR_ZERO).mp3

That's Survivalism, the single from Year Zero. It was played on KROQ, but radio isn't this high quality, so don't ask. I'll post more when we find more. Check Echoing The Truth's forums

Posted by Omni

Yeah, I read that after I typed it. He did perform them live and said they'd probably see eventual studio release, though. Most of that info I saw on Wikipedia already, too. I forgot to edit my post.

Posted by Arcadios

I actually like My Violent Heart.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I like it too, both songs are great so far, I'm sure the rest will follow suit

Posted by MetalVox~55

KMFDM > or = to NIN
NIN > *, except for/possibly KMFDM

Posted by Ayu

Quoting Arcadios: I actually like My Violent Heart.

Who wouldn't? The chorus ****ing rocks and the beat isn't too shabby. I really hope all the songs are like this one from now on.

Posted by fates warning

Im a fan. Have the discography, and didnt even torrent it.

Other than Closer, the downward spiral is probably the only album that isnt really good.

pretty hate machine remains my favorite.

Posted by Omni

Okay, the new album will be out tomorrow in the UK and the next day in the US. I am very excited, because the four leaked songs were all good. Hopefully, the rest of the album is up to par with those ones. I'll grab it online ASAP, and I'll be sure and share it. I'd recommend it even if you're not really familiar with Nine Inch Nails.

Posted by Shade

Except the whole thing was already leaked lol

Posted by Omni

I'm pretty sure just four songs have been leaked, but I could be wrong. I'll look into this. Haha, I guess it has been leaked in full.

There's really no such thing as a non-leaked album anymore.