Wii RPG Games

Posted by Dexter

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors. Battling looks like a lot of fun. Like the arcade game House of the Dead, only with a sword instead of a gun. Your movement probably gets faster as you level up, too. I've never gone through any Dragon Warrior games aside from the original 4 for the NES, but I'm definitely going to be picking this one up. It should be a winner., especially with the slimes.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers. Crystal Chronicles for the Game Cube was probably the most disappointing Game Cube RPG for me. Because it was largely created with four players in mind using the Game Boy Advance hook-ups, which I never got and failed miserably, it lacked significantly. The story didn't draw me in and making progress was too dull to keep me interested for long. This one should easily be better, although the previous CC is making it difficult for me to get excited for this. I'll still be getting it, regardless.

Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn. This is the RPG game I'm looking forward to the most. Path of Radiance for the Game Cube was fantastic and this one looks very similar, almost too similar. From what I've seen, there isn't much of a difference. I enjoyed the cast of characters in PoR and can look forward to seeing some of them return, as well as additional ones.

Sword of Legendia. Not much is known about this game. All I know is that it's being created by Namco Bandai and since Baten Kaitoes and the Tales series is so terrific, I have high hopes for this game.

Super Paper Mario. Another must-get.

That's 5 worthy RPG games we'll probably see in 2007, all which I'm going to get. That about matches the total number of RPG games the Game Cube got total! The lack of RPG games has been my biggest problem with Nintendo since the release of the Nintendo 64, but it looks as though that worry is finally being taken care of.

Posted by TheSorrow

im only interested in Super Paper Mario and Fire Emblem

Posted by Zeta

So far just SPM, maybe FFCC and SoL after we get more info on those.

Posted by Dexter

Odd, I look forward to Super Paper Mario the least.

Also, from what I hear, we'll be getting Fire Emblem released the soonest, followed by Dragon Quest. Both should be out before summer.

Posted by Burrito

Super Paper Mario isn't really an rpg, is it? It may have some small RPG elements, but it's really a platformer. Does it belong on this list?

I haven't heard of Sword of Legendia. Does that have anything to do with Tales of Legendia? I'll definitely look forward to that, considering I beat Tales of Phantasia and both Baten Kaitos.

Posted by protomanv4

Yay that means I might have allready gotten my wii and i look forward to super paper mario the most too :)

Posted by Dexter

Quoted post: Super Paper Mario isn't really an rpg, is it? It may have some small RPG elements, but it's really a platformer. Does it belong on this list?

It seems to fit the definition of an RPG game to me. Gaining experience points to level up, collecting coins to purchase items and badges for upgrades, taking on the role of fictional characters, etc. I considered Thougsand-Year Door to be an RPG for the Game Cube, Paper Mario as an RPG for the Nintendo 64, and Super Mario RPG as an RPG for the Super Nintendo.

Quoted post: I haven't heard of Sword of Legendia. Does that have anything to do with Tales of Legendia?

I looked into it and it doesn't seem to have any connection at all. It'll be separate from Baten and Tales, so we can expect something different from it, I suppose.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=7196

Here are some Fire Emblem scans I found today. The male is the grown-up Sothe, a minor character from Path of Radiance. I never used him much when I went through it, but if I give it a second playthrough, I'm going to use him a lot more. This is suppose to be a direct sequel to Path of Radiance.

Posted by Kit

If you actually get the extra parts needed for multiplayer FFCC it wasn't as bad as Single player, I reckon. It was fun for an hour, maybe two, to play once in a while. I might get this if I have what's needed. But I'd need to find out more. Fire Emblem and Paper Mario are interesting too.

Posted by Dexter

I imagine the game would be better with four players, but there's way too much work and money involved and little reward. Is getting together all the cables and four Game Boy Advance systems really worth it? I think the idea was a failure. It seems possible and easier to just use four Game Cube controllers for multiplayer adventure. That's the best way to go. Hope they do that with the Wii version. I'd like to see a good multiplayer RPG come out. Just thinking about it makes me look forward to the game more.

Posted by Dexter

News for Fire Emblem: The Goddess of Dawn. You'll be able to use the Wiimote, Classic Controller, or even the Game Cube controller. I like the idea of using the Classic Controller more. That'll probably be my choice. I suppose this means that there won't be any sensing methods used in the game. I wasn't really expecting any.

Posted by Bebop

Super Paper Mario isnt an RPG. Its a platformer.

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, that's too bad. I was hoping for an RPG Paper Mario, like they usually are. :(

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rfej/movie/index.html

Some Fire Emblem vids. Looks good.

Posted by Zelda_Guy

I want all of them. Why does Japan always get the games first. GRRRRrrrr

Posted by Dexter

They're usually more popular there so they create the RPG games with them in mind and we have to wait for all the translations and whatnot. I don't think the wait will be too harsh.

Posted by Dexter

No release dates yet. I doubt we'll even get all these this year and what we do get probably won't be here until Christmas time. :(

Posted by Drewboy64

FFCC, Paper Mario and Fire Emblem.

I really really really really really really hope FFCC has a great online system.

Posted by Dexter

I'd be happy enough if it simply allowed 4 player adventure. Like the one on the Game Cube, only make it simple.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Drewboy64: I really really really really really really hope FFCC has a great online system.

Nope. Friend codes.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Dexter:
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn. This is the RPG game I'm looking forward to the most. Path of Radiance for the Game Cube was fantastic and this one looks very similar, almost too similar. From what I've seen, there isn't much of a difference. I enjoyed the cast of characters in PoR and can look forward to seeing some of them return, as well as additional ones.

Path of Radiance was a terrible game. It was animu rock-paper-scissors. The game was just so bland and boring it couldn't keep me drawn in for long. Here's hoping this one isn't so generic anime fantasy.

Posted by Dexter

It will be roughly the same, I'm sure of that. It looks incredibly similar from the videos I've seen. I know it will have the anime elements. That's the way of the Fire Emblem games. It's difficult for many people to stay attentive with this game, just like many have difficulties with any RPG-type game. They're definitely my favorites, but I understand that they're not for everyone. I know your type. Stay with your BK games, Poco.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Dexter: It will be roughly the same, I'm sure of that. It looks incredibly similar from the videos I've seen. I know it will have the anime elements. Tme. Thehat's the way of the Fire Emblem games. It's difficult for many people to stay attentive with this game, just like many have difficulties with any RPG-type gay're definitely my favorites, but I understand that they're not for everyone. I know your type. Stay with your BK games, Poco.

Fire Emblem is the EPITOME of generic fantasy animu rpgs, and I tend to dislike generic things. The games just screams generic garbage. The battle system is glorified rock-paper-scissors, and the entire thing seems to be made for mildly retarded 13 year olds. I also tend to like strategy in my strategy RPGs. You also seem to have the nerve to say i dont know how to play rpg games nor do I have the attention span to play them? Fire Emblem had nothing to draw me in. The entire story couldn't have gotten anymore cookie-cutter. BTW, I spent 32 hours playing Tales of Symphonia, and I'm proud to say I finished the entire Arc the Lad and Xenosaga series.

so because i dislike generic animu rpg, I now like BK games?how did you draw this analogy?

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Poco: so because i dislike generic animu rpg, I now like BK games?how did you draw this analogy?

Not from your dislike for generic animu RPG. I already had prior knowledge that you enjoyed the BK games before I had any idea that you had problems with anime RPG.

I thought the strategic elements in the Fire Emblem games were quite intense and offered a decent challenge. When it comes to strategy games, Fire Emblem seems to be my favorite. I could see it being too slow for people, but RPG games in general take incredible patience and dedication.

Posted by Zeta

Srsly, try Yggdra Union. Much deeper, more strategic, and definately more difficult, despite the fact that there's no perma-deaths.

Makes Fire Emblem look like crap.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Dexter: I thought the strategic elements in the Fire Emblem games were quite intense and offered a decent challenge. When it comes to strategy games, Fire Emblem seems to be my favorite. I could see it being too slow for people, but RPG games in general take incredible patience and dedication.

Ogre Battle is much more fun and strategic then fire emblem, which by strategy game standards, requires almost no strategy. Ogre Battle has a great battle system and is just loads o' fun.

Posted by Dexter

Little update I found.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/DragonWarrior.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Speedfreak

DQ Swords isn't actually an RPG as far as I know.

Posted by Dexter

I saw stats and you seemed to gain something like experience after battles.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

A thousand curses upon the fact that it's not out yet. My Dragon Warrior Kenshin unit has gotten old, and I'm itching to play a Wii game in the same vein.

Posted by Speedfreak

Doesn't really make it an RPG. Otherwise tons of games could be classified as them.

There's bigger Wii RPG news than that anyway. Hasn't anyone made a thread about Nintendo buying Monolith Soft?

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Dexter: Little update I found.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/DragonWarrior.jpg[/IMG]

Holy crap, they actually don't look like DBZ characters for once.

Well done, Toriyama.

Posted by Speedfreak

Toriyama seems to be much better at creating monsters than he does people. I guess that's why all the characters in Dragonball look so similar in the face, it was one of his first works. Freiza, Cell, the Androids and Buus couldn't look more different from eachother, though.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: Doesn't really make it an RPG. Otherwise tons of games could be classified as them.

There's bigger Wii RPG news than that anyway. Hasn't anyone made a thread about Nintendo buying Monolith Soft?

Yeah, didn't they make Xenosaga, though?

Posted by Dexter

And the Baten Kaitos series! Maybe we'll get another. That would be rad.

Quoting Speedfreak: Doesn't really make it an RPG. Otherwise tons of games could be classified as them.

What makes a game an RPG?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=65102

Holy crap. I expected a fun little romp through the Dragon Warrior universe, but this could very well be one of the best games in the whole series. This should be Dragon Warrior 9!

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Dexter;575901]And the Baten Kaitos series! Maybe we'll get another. That would be rad.

What makes a game an RPG?

More than levelling up, I would think. I know of driving games where you could level up a cars speed, doesn't make it an RPG though.

Posted by Dexter

That definitely seems like an RPG game to me. Looks fantastic. I can see how you'll have to swing the Wiimote certain ways to perfrom special or normal abilities.

Posted by Speedfreak

I want Swords very much now. Shit, this should be the next logical step for the main series.

Posted by Bebop

Game looks crap anyway

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Quoting Speedfreak: Toriyama seems to be much better at creating monsters than he does people. I guess that's why all the characters in Dragonball look so similar in the face, it was one of his first works. Freiza, Cell, the Androids and Buus couldn't look more different from eachother, though.

Lavos's second form on Chrono Trigger looks almost exactly like Cell.

Posted by Speedfreak

Apart from the mouth and the fact that he's green, not really. Could be a homage to Cell, though. Lavos is made from the best DNA of all things on Earth, Cell is made up of the cells of the best fighters on Earth.