The Versatile Wii

Posted by ccrocker58

So Nintendo has started its foray into the realm or multi-functionality with the release of the Weather Channel and the Trial of the Internet Channel. Is anyone really using their Wii for more than gaming though?

Personally, I use the internet channel a lot. Almost all my activity here on VGC is through my Wii in fact. I would use the weather channel, but it's rediculously inaccurate for my town; the current temp is almost always "as of" yesterday, and that does me no good for...well...today. And it seems the 5 day changes daily, eliminating its purpose.

BTW, I've been wondering, is that a redone version of the Kakariko theme song that plays in the background?

Posted by Bebop

when the News channel goes liv Ill probably use it. I can see myself checking out the headlines before loading up Zelda or whatever.

Posted by RandomizeR

i use the internet ALL THE TIME on my wii, like right now for example

Posted by Dexter

I only used the Internet to check it out and I don't typically like to know what the whether is going to be. I might use the Internet feature more in the future, once it gets better. And I'll probably be using the News Channel like Bebop.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I don't even play it anymore lol.

Posted by ccrocker58

Quoting Dexter: I only used the Internet to check it out and I don't typically like to know what the whether is going to be. I might use the Internet feature more in the future, once it gets better.

Yea the Internet Channel could use some help in terms of functionality, but we knew that already. I'm hoping the final product will have the ability to save files off the net, have an upgraded version of Flash, and be able to view friggin .gif's without it reverting to the start page.

Quoting Vampiro: I don't even play it anymore lol.

Yea, after beating all the good Wii games out there, all I find myself doing is using my Wii for the Internet and occasional VC games.

Posted by Dexter

That's how the aftermath of launch is; exceptionally slow. I'm more slow than that though so I still have Zelda to finish. After that my Wii won't be used much until March, when Mario Party 8 comes out. We should be moving at a good pace by then.

I don't know. Apparently we're supposed to see some big games (Metroid) sooner than later in hopes of avoiding post-launch drought. Hopefully they remain true to their word.

Posted by ccrocker58

I'm actually a little ****ed at our lineup for the VC...Japan is getting all these great VC games, while we get...pinball games...I mean, the games from the other systems are great and all, but Nintendo has all but abandoned their own games for us in the states. And where the hell are the N64 games!?

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I don't know. Apparently we're supposed to see some big games (Metroid) sooner than later in hopes of avoiding post-launch drought. Hopefully they remain true to their word.

I doubt it. I'd like it to be true, but it's hard for me to believe. I don't know where you heard that news from, but all I hear is how Corruption and Galaxy are getting pushed back to October or something awful like that. It would be nice to get at least two big games out before summer.

Quoted post: And where the hell are the N64 games!?

idk. Is Mario still the only one? I thought they'd have more 64 games by now. They are getting more and more as the weeks go by. Have some patience, they'll get here soon enough.

Quoted post: I doubt it. I'd like it to be true, but it's hard for me to believe. I don't know where you heard that news from, but all I hear is how Corruption and Galaxy are getting pushed back to October or something awful like that. It would be nice to get at least two big games out before summer.

Yeah, Nintendo responded to those rumours. Neither were pushed back, so no need to worry.

Posted by Dexter

Good to hear. With the way things are setting themselves up, the Wii should have an excellent number of fantastic games by the end of the year. It should be even better than the Cube's first year.

Posted by RandomizeR

Quoting ccrocker58: I'm actually a little ****ed at our lineup for the VC...Japan is getting all these great VC games, while we get...pinball games...I mean, the games from the other systems are great and all, but Nintendo has all but abandoned their own games for us in the states. And where the hell are the N64 games!?

I hope they get 007 Goldeneye

Posted by Dexter

Me too, but I doubt we will, and wouldn't put my hopes up for it. I don't think Nintendo is allowed, since Rare isn't with them anymore. Won't bother me much, since I have it for the Nintendo 64 and actually enjoy playing it on there. I would love it they gave it some upgrades, such as better graphics, additional levels, and more goofy characters to select.

Posted by ccrocker58

Yea...if Nintendo wouldn't of let Rare go the VC would be rockin...I wish Nintendo would of made it possible for Eu and stateside consoles to dl imports...but it just seems developers too lazy to go back and translate them:(

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire]Yeah, Nintendo responded to those rumours. Neither were pushed back, so no need to worry.

Link. Now.

idk, every site? Reggie said it. Look it up yourself.

Posted by Echo

Quoting ccrocker58: I'm actually a little ****ed at our lineup for the VC...Japan is getting all these great VC games, while we get...pinball games...I mean, the games from the other systems are great and all, but Nintendo has all but abandoned their own games for us in the states.

I disagree. I'm fairly pleased with the NA Virtual Console lineup. This could be attributed to the fact that I'm willing to play Street Fighter 2 (shame it isn't Turbo, though) and Toejam & Earl until my eyes bleed, though.

Thus far I have barely used the Internet channel. The most I've used it in one sitting was Christmas morning, and that was mostly because everyone else thought it was neat while I just wanted to play Wii Sports.

I haven't used the Weather channel much, either. If the Wii menu had the weather on it I would love it, but generally if I'm using my Wii I just put the game in and start playing it without checking the weather.

The News channel might get a bit more use from me. Again, it would be excellent to have a ticker that is actually on the Wii menu, because than I know I would pause for a second and read a headline or two before I start doing anything. Right now, though, I'm fairly content just checking the news whenever I get on my computer and I don't think I'll change from that to checking the news whenever I get on my Wii.

Quoted post: I disagree.

Because you suck. North America has a ****ing awful VC lineup. Seriously. We don't even have SMW. Come on.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh shush. It's only awful because you hate every classic game ever.

... wait what? It's awful. Simple as that.

Posted by Echo

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Because you suck. North America has a ****ing awful VC lineup. Seriously. We don't even have SMW. Come on.

I still don't think it's that horrible. Granted, Japan's lineup is better, but there are enough great games in the NA lineup for it to be worthwhile. Also keep in mind that many games that are in Japan are on their way here.

It's not as good as Japan, no. But it's still not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire]... wait what? It's awful. Simple as that.

Mario 64, Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, Bomberman and Gunstar Heroes are all bloody good games. Go back to whatever the hell it is you actually play.

Posted by Echo

Quoting Speedfreak: Donkey Kong Country

We don't have DKC in North America yet. Replace it with Street Fighter 2, though, and the point still stands.

Quoted post: Mario 64, Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, Bomberman and Gunstar Heroes are all bloody good games. Go back to whatever the hell it is you actually play.

Wow, six decent games, three of which are actually pretty good and haven't been whored out. I'll wait a bit longer until more good games come out before I change my opinion. Until then, it sucks.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Wait, isn't Wario Ware out in like a week, and Wii Play next month? That's not exactly a drought.

Oh ****, Wii Play, THE DROUGHT IS OVER, FOLKS!

lol jk. But still.

Oh, it's not an abundance of games by any stretch of the imagination. But given that February and March are usually the dry season of games anyway I'm quite pleased that there's two decent titles out there.

Besides, it gives me time to finish Gears and Zelda.

Yeah, better than the 360 anyways. Good times.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire]Wow, six decent games, three of which are actually pretty good and haven't been whored out. I'll wait a bit longer until more good games come out before I change my opinion. Until then, it sucks.

Xbox 360 doesn't even have half that after a fucking year. Honestly, what the hell are you expecting, an instant library?

On Live Arcade? Yes it does.

Quoted post: Xbox 360 doesn't even have half that after a ****ing year. Honestly, what the hell are you expecting, an instant library?

360 has a lot more than six. Though why that matters I have no idea. But yeah, I kind of do expect an "instant library" what with all of the games Nintendo is famous for. But seriously, I just expect more than soccer, pinball and Super Mario Bros. in the states. Especially when Japan has a few good games I'd like to buy. Bomberman and F-Zero can only do so much.

I guess I just expected more good games, rather than a lot of subpar **** no on cares about. It's not like Nintendo only has one or two really good games they have to hold on to so they can keep interest high.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's not like they want all VC titles available in the first 6 months, either. Use your brain.

Did I say I wanted that? Use your brain. Just look at Japan. There's still so many titles they have yet to release... yet, there's already so many great titles currently available. But, oh! oh! we got Urban Champion recently. Quite possibly the worst game ever. YES!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Japan get Kid Icarus and Mario Kart 64. We get Urban Champion and uhhh

Point made. :(

Don't forget Soccer, man. It's a classic.

Posted by Speedfreak

OH NOS. Perhaps Nintendo have a different strategy for Japan than they do for the west?

Japan having a better selection doesn't make everything else terrible. I'm happy with the rate of about 3 really decent games a month with a bunch of others worth trying. We know game trials are on the way and our releases could speed up too. Christ, the system's been out 2 months, give it a chance.

I'm complaining about the selection now. At the moment I hate the Wii and think it's completely useless. I've thought this for the past, what, six months or whenever Red Steel started getting a ton of hype. Obviously my opinion is going to change and the system is going to be amazing with a great VC line-up, but lord. It's garbage right now. Without even comparing it to anything it's garbage. Oh wow, Super Mario, Golden Axe and Urban Champion. Great, Nintendo.

Though it's quite clear Nintendo has a different plan for Japan than the west, considering, you know, they have a ton of great titles and we have Urban Champion and Super Mario. They know they don't have to slowly trickle out the big titles there because the system sells itself. Hype needs to stay high in North America, that's obvious. But lord, give me something other than Soccer and ****ing Urban Champion.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

We have more than Super Mario and Golden Axe, but it's still a pretty poor line up considering they promised up the world originally.

:(

Oh yeah, Pinball and Ice Hockey.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Oh yeah, Pinball and Ice Hockey.

Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog, F-Zero, Bomberman and Donkey Kong are all pretty good games in my book.

Everything minus Sonic, F-Zero and DK. Leaving three good choices.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Just done a bit of research, and I found this month, Europe gets: Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, Super Probotector, and Mario Kart 64.

Don't know about America.

Quest 64 and Super Mario 64. Ten bux each, plz.

Posted by ccrocker58

Wait...Quest64? Who the **** played that ****? I understand Nintendo's desire to expose us to games from other companies...and I also understand that they're shelling out said companies trash to keep them in good terms...but why the hell does that mean we can't get any good first party games?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;514434]We have more than Super Mario and Golden Axe, but it's still a pretty poor line up considering they promised up the world originally.

:(

Wow, I must've missed that part of the E3 keynote.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Speedfreak: Wow, I must've missed that part of the E3 keynote.

Reggie sed: u can play everythang from teh past genz on vc lol

Everything by the year 2142, that is.

Do you honestly expect them to release all their gold content at the launch of the console? That's stupid marketing, and just because people want everything immediately doesn't mean it's the best strategy to give it to them.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Wings: Do you honestly expect them to release all their gold content at the launch of the console? That's stupid marketing, and just because people want everything immediately doesn't mean it's the best strategy to give it to them.

I guess not, but I expected at least two or three killer past-apps within the first two months. :mad:

Wryyyy etc.

Quoted post: Wait...Quest64? Who the **** played that ****?

Me? I traded Pilot Wings for that ****, son.

Posted by ccrocker58

Wow...I personally would of kept Pilot Wings...but meh...I'm still very disappointed with VC. And now it seems after XMas, we're not getting jack****. It was nice to see new games every week, even if I knew said games were going to be tripe, but now we just get to log into the Wii Shop to stare at the same garbage.

Quoted post: Wow...I personally would of kept Pilot Wings

I regret it every second I live.

Posted by Dexter

Oh wow, I remember actually feeling like I was flying in that game.

Posted by ccrocker58

You were drunk.

Posted by Dexter

No, really, if I had a phobia of heights, that would've been one scary game. I remember getting a little sea-sick playing Wave Race, too.