Which game has the better graphics: Metroid Prime 2 or Halo 2? Honestly.

Posted by Victorious1

?

Posted by Bebop

Halo 2. Now go away and never come back.

Posted by Zeta

People still compare these two completely unidentical game series?

Posted by Speedfreak

Metroid has better art, a better polygon count, better animation, no obvious constant LODing and no constant graphic glitches. They're all more important to me than bump-mapping.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Speedfreak: Metroid has better art, a better polygon count, better animation, no obvious constant LODing and no constant graphic glitches. They're all more important to me than bump-mapping.

[COLOR="Yellow"]I thought you were gonna say Halo 2. [sarcasm/][/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

Come on, man, you know I hate Halo in almost every way and I'm a total sucker for Metroid.

A while ago I would've actually said Halo had better graphics, but then I went back and appreciated the finer points of Metroid that I listed.

Shiny graphics strikes everyone at first, but after a while you start to notice it looks like cheap plastic and how crappy the animation is and so on. A lot of people thought Perfect Dark Zero had great graphics until they looked at it a second time and noticed just how terrible the art direction is.

If it means anything, I think Wind Waker has better graphics than Twilight Princess, and TP is doing a heck of a lot more than Wind Waker ever did.

Posted by Dexter

I've played both a good amount and am not a huge fan of either, but I'd have to go with Metroid on this one. It had some gorgeous scenery.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Metroid, no contest. If only because I don't see textures and entire objects pop in three seconds into the scene. Good stuff.

Posted by Omni

I'd have to say Metroid Prime 2.

Posted by Last Fog

It would make sense to have this thread a few years ago when they were the best looking console games. Now, who cares?

I vote metroid.

Posted by Dexter

What do you think will have better graphics, Metroid Prime 3 or Halo 3!?

Posted by Last Fog

You're joking, right?

Posted by Dexter

Of course. We all know Metroid Prime 3 is going to be better, graphically.

Posted by Last Fog

I just smirked a little bit, kind of like your avatar.

... but since you said graphically, you think Halo 3 is better in all other aspects?

Posted by Dexter

Although I enjoy playing Halo 2 online, I'm going to have to say I enjoy the Prime games more. They create an isolated, eerie aura that I enjoy. Halo 2 has more replay value because of the online feature, but I am looking forward to Prime 3 more than Halo 3, by far.

Posted by Last Fog

I hate both. Metroid Prime is an absolute borefest of wandering around a baron wasteland, periodically shooting bugs. Halo 2 also has a mediocre campaign as well as terribly unbalanced multiplayer to go with it.

Posted by Dexter

Metroid Prime is seemingly boring, but once I got into it, I couldn't get out. I think the part that makes it boring is the aura that I like. If it was an action-packed adventure, I doubt I'd get the same feeling about it. It's the wandering around, the exploring for items and opening up new locations that allures me.

Quoted post: Of course. We all know Metroid Prime 3 is going to be better, graphically.

lewl. Maybe stylistically, but graphically? hahaha

Posted by x.r0wney.x

Halo 2 all the way

Posted by Drewboy64

Halo 2, but I do think Metroid has more atmosphere. Plus, halo2 has that rendering issue.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Metroid Prime 2 has a much better environment, I'd agree with. Graphically, though, Halo 2 is a superior game. Hell, Halo 1 is better looking than Prime 2 (but it's close!).

Just because you have better/more things to look it doesn't mean those things look better.:p

Quoted post: Hell, Halo 1 is better looking than Prime 2 (but it's close!).

Hahaha, no. Halo 1 looks like garbage.

Posted by Skitzo Control

What? Are you nuts? Halo 1 is still a great-looking game. It beats out most games that are still being released on the last generation.

Nah, it looks like utter garbage. It's like when OoT was released it was the best looking game you could imagine, and now it's ugly as all hell.

Posted by Drewboy64

Halo 1 looks good, but it definately doesn't beat Metroid Prime 1 or 2.

Halo 1 to Halo 2 was almost like a console jump.

Posted by Speedfreak

Master Cheif was made of 4 polygons in Halo 1, and in Halo 2 he was made of 3 with lots of shiny, low-res bump-maps that popped in and out of existence at random.

Halo 2 looks glitchy, I think Metroid wins just for having graphics that looks like they're working.

Posted by s0ul

Unless you're talking about the ragdoll freaking-the-hell-out stuff, the graphics rarely glitched out. Granted, things were never the same on more than one screen in a multiplayer match, you think you're teabagging an enemy and it turns out he's ten feet away on his screen, and such, but the graphics only really crapped out during the 1st half a second of a match, and that was only occasional.

Quoted post: the graphics rarely glitched out.

I don't know about you, but in my game they constantly popped in and out, sometimes just random textures, and other times complete objects.

Posted by Speedfreak

Watch any cutscene in the game. At all. At the beginning for the first second all the textures will be missing and they'll gradually pop in, repeat for every scene change. Then there's the popup ingame and the constant LODing (switching between low poly and high poly models as you get nearer/further away).

Both games push the hardware to it's limits, but because Xbox isn't the most tightly designed machine ever, when it's pushed to it's limit it embarrasses itself.

I have to repeat myself on the artwork again. 90% of why games look good is because of the art, and I think Metroid clearly wins in that category.

Posted by Malevolence

Gah, I think Metroid looks much better than Halo 2. Watching textures bug in and out or not.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Speedfreak: Watch any cutscene in the game. At all. At the beginning for the first second all the textures will be missing and they'll gradually pop in, repeat for every scene change. Then there's the popup ingame and the constant LODing (switching between low poly and high poly models as you get nearer/further away).

Cutscenes? THERE'S A SINGLE PLAYER?

Posted by Speedfreak

Also happens when you bring up the Live menu in multiplayer. The environments are as dull as hell in multiplayer anyway, everything looks like it's made of lego in the human levels and a gay guy's bedroom in the covanent levels.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I always thought that in Halo 1 MC looked like a chibi version of himself. He's just... stunted. It's especially noticeable in the scene where you bring Guilty Spark back to Cortana after the Library.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Halo 2 graphics are especially terrible on a first-gen Xbox.

Posted by Speedfreak

Eh? Why would it make any difference?

Posted by cool gamer dad

The old Xboxs have the ****ty Thompson drive.

When it finally loads a map, a lot of the textures tend to be blurred out until you walk over them.

But I know it's the Xbox's fault and not the actual graphics.

Posted by Random

Looks don't matter.. Gameplay is what matters and Halo 2 has better gameplay. You can play online with many multiplayer maps and players. Makes it more amusing than playing campaign over and over like you have to do in Metroid.

Quoted post: Makes it more amusing than playing campaign over and over like you have to do in Metroid.

Huh? Have to, eh?

Posted by Random

K well there is multiplayer but it sucks..

That wasn't what I was pointing out. But OK.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Random;523767]Looks don't matter.

THEY MATTER QUITE A BIT IN A THREAD ABOUT GRAPHICS, RETARD.

Halo has the most repetitive gameplay anyway, who the hell are you kidding? It's known for being dull. I'd much rather play a single player Metroid "campaign" than play online with retarded 14 year olds and angry black people any day. That's not what's being discussed anyhow.

Posted by Last Fog

More like a single player "ordeal". Try to navigate a baron wasteland (which yes is very pretty) and scan ****. Shoot some mindless bugs, and scan some more.

Posted by s0ul

I agree with Fog, but prepare for "shoot ****, shoot more **** then shoot some more ****" argument.

Posted by Speedfreak

They're different games for people with very different attention spans. People with long attention spans tend to prefer Metroid's slow pace; detailed worlds riddled with secrets and puzzles; whereas the average Halo 2 fan wants a constant stream of action. When different kinds of gamer play each game they find Metroid slow and boring and Halo repetitive and mindless. They both each do their thing pretty d[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn well, but I suppose Metroid is often held in higher regard because of it's history and the fact that there's not really any other game like it. Games like Halo really are dime a dozen, FPSs are an extremely popular genre, FPAs not so much.

But Halo isn't in the top 10 games of all time list (zing!).

But this thread is about graphics, so get back on topic. I think Random's just getting a little protective of one of his favourite series and felt the need to change the topic.

Posted by Shade

The 2D Metroid games aren't really that unique anymore. *points to Castlevania*

Posted by Zeta

Nah, they're still plenty different besides the whole get new powers to reach new areas thing.

Posted by GameMiestro

Pixelation isn't everything in graphics. While Halo 2 had some incredibly detailed areas that Metroid Prime 2 just couldn't have, I thought Metroid Prime 2 had more original, higher quality graphics design than Halo did.

Posted by hypnotize_

Quoting Speedfreak: THEY MATTER QUITE A BIT IN A THREAD ABOUT GRAPHICS, RETARD.

Halo has the most repetitive gameplay anyway, who the hell are you kidding? It's known for being dull. I'd much rather play a single player Metroid "campaign" than play online with retarded 14 year olds and angry black people any day. That's not what's being discussed anyhow.

When I read this post, I started laughing really hard.

Who really cares about these two games? They are old and lets move onto newer things.

About the gameplay of metriod though, it is really dull and honestly I could never get into this game because it felt like a chore to search everywhere. At the same time though, the Halo series single player isn't much more exciting.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Shade32;526935]The 2D Metroid games aren't really that unique anymore. *points to Castlevania*

Castlevania is pretty different to Metroid if the first GBA Castlevania is anything to go by. They have similar exploration but that's about it, they still feel very different. And even then, that's one series. There's 30 games every year that could easily be compared to Halo.

[quote=GameMiestro;526943]Pixelation

This is probably the single most overused word when describing graphics and it doesn't even really mean anything.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Pixelation applies to textures only, and it's rapidly becoming a non-issue.