Internet on the wii help.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Hey guys,

So I have a problem. I got a Wii for Christmas, and I wanted to hook it up to internet. One problem, the Wii is in my room upstairs at the moment, and the router is downstairs on the main floor. So since I can't really run a cable up-stairs(renting a house atm until new house is finished being built). So what should I do? I was thinking of wireless, but I don't know if I could get that too work. I also need an ethernet adapter where can I get one?

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Killer Jordo: Hey guys,

So I have a problem. I got a Wii for Christmas, and I wanted to hook it up to internet. One problem, the Wii is in my room upstairs at the moment, and the router is downstairs on the main floor. So since I can't really run a cable up-stairs(renting a house atm until new house is finished being built). So what should I do? I was thinking of wireless, but I don't know if I could get that too work. I also need an ethernet adapter where can I get one?

Considering the Wii is made with a wireless connection in mind, I'd obviously recommend getting a wireless router to replace your current router. In your case it seems to be more of a necessity, since you have the Wii and router in different areas of the house. Just make sure you buy a router that can provide devices that will use it with a good signal within the distance your Wii will be from the router.

If you choose not to buy a wireless router, then Nintendo offers a [url="http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&langId=-1¤cy=USD&ignoreCrumbs=N&crumb1=&crumb1Ignore=&crumb2=%253CA%2BHREF%253D%2522javascript%253APassOn%2528%2527X%2527%252C%2B%2527ChooseView%2527%252C%2527%2527%252C%2B%2527%2527%2529%253B%2522%253EWii%253C%252FA%253E&crumb2Ignore=&crumb3=%253CA%2BHREF%253D%2522javascript%253APassOn%2528%2527C%2527%252C%2B%2527CategoryDisplay%2527%252C%252762707%2527%252C%2B%2527N%2527%2529%253B%2522%253EParts%2B%2526%2BAccessories%253C%252FA%253E&crumb3Ignore=&translateFrom=%C8%C9%C7&translateTo=EEC&usrSearchText=ethernet+adapter&searchText=ETHERNET+ADAPTER&selSrchType=&page=&view=&productId=95704&categoryId=62707&lastAction=ProductDisplay&orderTotal=null"] Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector[/url]. Click on the link for more information. You will also find other Wi-Fi USB Connectors for your Wii and DS from third-party companies, though I recommend playing it safe and going with Nintendo first.

Posted by RandomizeR

i reccomend NOT buying third party products.

i say go with the wireless router. they're sweet :)

Posted by Killer Jordo

Yeah I think I'm going to get a wirelss router for now. If it does come up, I may get a Wi-Fi instead. Depending on the price.

Posted by Apathetic

Is this one different from the DS one or are they both the same?

Posted by Killer Jordo

Same I think.

Posted by Axis

Ok, maybe somebody here can help me.

First off, I work at Gamestop and my manager told me to buy the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Cord. I am currently running off a wired connection on my Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. So I told him that it would not work. He corrected me by saying that my Wii should be able to pick the signal after I plug the USB connector into my PC.

1) I entered the disc into my PC drive.
2) I selected a language.
3) I properly connected my Wi-Fi USB Connector Cable.
4) It tried to read an internet connection and it failed. I did have the Nintendo Wii turned on. It said "Cannot Find Internet Connection".

So do any of you guys have any idea how to help me?

Posted by Killer Jordo

Maybe something near your computer is blocking the signal?

Posted by Axis

Like what, a piece of chesse?

Get the hell out.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Try getting the hell in.

Posted by RandomizeR

Quoting Axis: Like what, a piece of chesse?

Get the hell out.

Cheese* but LOL anyway

maybe it's the USB thinger, cuz you know...they suck?

Posted by Kit

Quoting Killer Jordo: Try getting the hell in.

...what the **** was that? Just give up.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Try giving down.

Anyway, is you wii allowed to use the Wi-fi connection? Click the wi-fi icon on the bottom right of your screen.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Okay, there are two products that Nintendo does for this. One is a USB cable that plugs into your Wii and provides an ethernet port. One is a dongle that lets you do wireless with both Wii and DS. Which do you have?

Posted by RandomizeR

I had the Wi-Fi dongle thing, and i couldn't get it to work either, so i just used my wireless router and it worked perfectly the first time.

I returned the Wi-Fi max and bought a game :D

If it doesn't have the official Nintendo seal on it, then I advise not using it.

Posted by Axis

I have the one that plugs into my computer. It just says "Cannot Connect To The Internet".

Posted by Axis

I've come to the conclusion that the internet on the Wii right now sucks balls. It's bad enough when customer service doesn't even know what the hell you're talking about.

Posted by dylananisa

do you have a fire wall. Ifd you do disable it till you are finished with uploading the wii