Clerks X

Posted by Bebop

I was doing some shopping and bought some DVDS in the sales.

I got Office Space, Sideways, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and a Cowboy Bebop volume set.

I also picked up Clerks X, the Clerks 10 Year anniversary edition box set for a crisp 6 pounds.

Am I going to be disapointed and wish I hadn't wasted an hour and a half on mindless turd like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back or will I feel a warm fuzzy feeling down below like I did after seeing Dogma?

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]How the h[COLOR="Yellow"]e[/COLOR]ll should we know, everybody's got different taste.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

'Rhetoric'

Posted by Dexter

You'll like it. Jay and Bob was meant to be dumb like it was. That was supposed to be part of the charm for long-term fans of Kevin Smith. Clerks is smart funny like Dogma, not dumb funny like Strikes Back.

Dogma is still his best work. Chasing Amy's probably my next favorite.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Dexter: You'll like it. Jay and Bob was meant to be dumb like it was. That was supposed to be part of the charm for long-term fans of Kevin Smith. Clerks is smart funny like Dogma, not dumb funny like Strikes Back.

Dogma is his best work, without doubt.

But I liked Clerks more than Amy. It seemed so real, you know? When you watch Clerks, you simply peek into the lives of a few people whose lives are usually pretty normal, but you happen to catch a day when things are the most bizzare they've ever been.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is much funnier if you've seen the other films. For example, if you hadn't seen Clerks, you wouldn't know about Dante's line "I'm not even supposed to be here today". You see, Clerks takes place over the course of one day. The movie starts with Dante opening the store, and ends when the store finally closes. All the wacky stuff that happens to Dante is happening to him on a day that he was supposed to have off of work.

Jay identifies "Jungle Love" as being "written by G*d herself and handed down to the greatest band in the world", and if you've seen Dogma, you know why Jay says "HERself".

When Jay and Silent Bob arrive at Holden McNeil's house, Holden greets them with the line, "Look at these morose motherf*ckers right here. Smells like someone sh*t in their cereal.", which is exactly what Jay says to Holden in Chasing Amy.

Brodie runs a comic book store in J&SB:SB and he is the main guy in Mallrats, who is a huge comic book fan.

Mooby's is introduced in Dogma, and is seen again in J&SB:SB.

Jay only says "Snoogins" once in the movie, and if you hadn't seen the other films, you wouldn't know why the heck he'd say that.

Kevin Smith is quite a Star Wars nerd, and I believe there is a Star Wars reference in Clerks, Mallrats, Amy and Dogma. So of course, Smith got Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamhill to appear in J&SB:SB, and even included a lightsabre fight where Mark Hamhill tells Jay not to f*ck with the Jedi master.

At the end of the movie, you see Banky Edwards leaving the theater with Hooper-X, both from Amy.

Joey Lauren Adams, who played Allysa in "Chasing Amy" is seen leaving the theater, remarking that Holden's story "Chasing Amy" would never work as a movie.

When Ben and Matt are filming Good Will Hunting 2, Matt says to Ben, "Man, talking me into Dogma was one thing, but this...", and someone who didn't know much about the Askewniverse wouldn't know what Dogma was.

So if you watch Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back first, it's not gonna to be as cool as watching it last. You can still laugh at the immature dick-and-fart jokes, but to fully appreciate the movie, you'd have to see the first four films.

Posted by Bebop

Interesting Fei-On. After Ive seen more Smith films Ill take another look at JASBSB. Stll though these refrences to other films dont really seem to be the belly laughs I was promised.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

No, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back isn't supposed to be about start to finish jokes and gags. It's actually a throwback to the people who have seen all the Jay and Silent Bob movies. It's a movie that is funny, but not in the conventional sense. It's just cool to finally see how all these people and events connect when they culminate in J&SB:SB. It supposed to be the closing chapter in the saga (even though Smith did make Clerks 2). That's why at the end of the film, G*d (played by Alanis Morisette) picks up a book titled "The Askewniverse" and shuts it, then dances away. Smith says that the movies with Jay and Silent Bob take place in the Askewniverse, which is just like our universe, only slightly askew. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was the closing of the Askewniverse, as Smith said he'd never make another Jay and Silent Bob movie again.

So he made Jersey Girl, which I thought was pretty good, but most people did not.

Then he made Clerks 2. There are rumors that he promised Jason Mewes (the actor who plays "Jay") that if Mewes could stay off of drugs, there would be another movie role waiting for him. That's where Clerks 2 allegedly came from.

Posted by Raptor

Chasing Amy is actually my favourite KS film. It gives me a warm feeling every time I watch it. Dogma doesn't have the same 'replay' value for me.

Posted by G-Sides

Quoting Fei-on Castor: Then he made Clerks 2. There are rumors that he promised Jason Mewes (the actor who plays "Jay") that if Mewes could stay off of drugs, there would be another movie role waiting for him. That's where Clerks 2 allegedly came from.

He was actually about to stop making movies in the Jersey Askewniverse because Jason Mewes couldn't stay sober inbetween movies, which is the whole reason Jay and Silent Bob weren't in Jersey Girl. Smith decided to do a Clerks sequel after turning down the offer to direct a movie on Green Hornet (the book, old movies, comics, etc), and I know all of this cuz I watched the 90 minute documentary on disc 2 of the Clerks 2 DVD. 8-)

Posted by Dexter

Shoot, I would've liked to watch that while I had it. I usually always watch bonus material, especially when the crew is filled with familiar people. The girls never care for it though and it throws off my whole groove.

I still can't get into the bonus material on Memento. :(

Posted by Skitzo Control

Don't forget that in Clerks 2, Jay and Silent Bob apparently have all this money to loan to Dante and Randall to re-open the quick-stop. How'd they get the money? That's right, settlement funds from the movie made in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.:)
---
If you can appreciate the humore of Clerks, you'll love it. The conversations had between Dante and Randall are so funny, almost real. "My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!" "In a row?!" Some of the jokes are easy (and understable! [TAKE THAT, SOUL!]) misses, but most of the stuff is so inquisitive and off-the-wall that you can't help but laugh.

Posted by Dexter

Oh, wow, I didn't even connect that together. It goes so well and is so obvious now that you've mentioned it. Sometimes I miss the simplest things.

Posted by Vg200x

Quoting Skitzo Control: Don't forget that in Clerks 2, Jay and Silent Bob apparently have all this money to loan to Dante and Randall to re-open the quick-stop. How'd they get the money? That's right, settlement funds from the movie made in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.:)
---
If you can appreciate the humore of Clerks, you'll love it. The conversations had between Dante and Randall are so funny, almost real. "My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!" "In a row?!" Some of the jokes are easy (and understable! [TAKE THAT, SOUL!]) misses, but most of the stuff is so inquisitive and off-the-wall that you can't help but laugh.

I thought it was for selling all the pot. I do see a clearks3 in the future but I think kevin smith needs to bust a gut and make some more movies. the lord of rings joke was funny as heck...randall's movie was alright but I don't think he should make another movie evan tho his jokes are one of a kind.

Posted by G-Sides

no, skitzo's right, they made it off the movie in j&sbsb. says so in the deleted scenes. not many people make that much just off selling weed.

Posted by Vg200x

Quoting Arms: no, skitzo's right, they made it off the movie in j&sbsb. says so in the deleted scenes. not many people make that much just off selling weed.

says you. I could of swarn it said that they got there money from selling dope,oh well, all around a good movie and I expect to see another one. now that the legacy of the store has been revised IT WILL NOT COME TO AN END,unless it gets burned down again but if they were smart they would put fire insurance.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Looks like I'm going to have to fire up Clerks 2 and check the deleted scenes/behind the scenes/whatever to see who's right, but the settlement makes sense, so it's all good.

Posted by Vg200x

I think it was towards the end of the deleted scene's, I didn't watch the 2nd disk,,whats on thar?

Posted by Shade

Bonus material.

Reminds me, I got the movie for my bro for Christmas. I should probably watch it...

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Dexter]You'll like it. Jay and Bob was meant to be dumb like it was. That was supposed to be part of the charm for long-term fans of Kevin Smith. Clerks is smart funny like Dogma, not dumb funny like Strikes Back.

Shut your little mouth. Dogma has been whored out entirely too much to be acceptable above Mallrats. :cool: Smith's best work is actually within his writing, namely the stories he brandishes in comics such as; Spider Man & The Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do. It's a highly recommendable read [gn of course, the seperate issues are a fan item, now] for ya', Dexy.

Posted by Dexter

idk, I enjoyed Mallrats, but the clever written theme and cast of Dogma is just too great to be taken down by Mallrats. The poo monster? Just a great, hilarious adventure. It got more laughs out of me, too.

And don't forget Scream 3!

Posted by Tyler Durden

Scream 3? Yeah, I suppose, still couldn't have saved Wes Craven from directing the entire Scream trilogy straight to hell. I guess the Golgothan **** Demon was classical comedy at it's best.

Posted by Dexter

I get the feeling that Wes was aiming towards something fun instead of great to get his trilogy done with. It was actually kinda refreshing.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Scream 3 was amusing, the others just sucked something horridly. I could wipe my *** with 1 and 2.