RPGMaker General Discussions

Posted by Xenos

If you have any RPGMaker questions/games you'd like to show off or ask, do not hesistate to post.

Right now, I'm trying to make a game and finding some resources. The last time that I did, I got a virus. :(

Posted by Legend Saber

I'm actually looking for a copy of RPGMaker on the Playstation, do you know where I might be able to get one online for a cheap price with all instruction booklets left in tact? I'm really interested in getting this game, I've got lots of free-time to invest in it (and I heard this is one major requirement for creating games using RPGMaker). Any help is appricated.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Umm, I wouldn't recommend buying the RPG Maker for Playstation one. There is no keyboard. Manually inputting the letters with your controller is a pain. If anything, get the one for PS2, and buy the keyboard. But, there are more options, and greater things that you can do with the RPG Makers for PC. I'd look at them first, if I were you.

If you really want to get a PS copy, I'd suggest checking out E-bay.

Posted by Xenos

Do not forget that you cannot import resources--you'll be stuck with terrible "****"sets.

Posted by Legend Saber

Quoted post: If anything, get the one for PS2, and buy the keyboard.

Mmmm, yeah, that does sound like a pretty good idea, I actually just got my PS2 two weeks ago and I like what I've seen of the RPG Maker on there, the Playstation-quality visuals seem pretty appealing. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the keyboard though, how much does it cost? My spending budget is about sixty-three dollars, would I be able to get both the keyboard and the game for that much?

Quoted post: But, there are more options, and greater things that you can do with the RPG Makers for PC. I'd look at them first, if I were you.

Same advice a friend gave, until he saw my computer, that is... both the computers at my house are severly lacking (the one I'm on right now has less than fifty megs of memory on it, the one upstairs has a processor slower than a garbage truck traveling uphill in reverse), very few games seem to work all that well. Diablo (the first one) is the most advanced game I've seen run on this thing, and I doubt any of the RPG Maker programs would be able to run on just fifty megs.

Quoted post: If you really want to get a PS copy, I'd suggest checking out E-bay.

Now that I've seen some more of the second RPG Maker, I'm probably going to get that one, it's probably more advanced than the PSX one, anyway.

Quoted post: Do not forget that you cannot import resources--you'll be stuck with terrible "****"sets.

This might sound like a strange question, but what exactly does that mean?

In any case, thanks for your help, I'm probably going to get the Playstation 2 edition of RPG Maker whenever I can get the chance to.

Posted by Xenos

Uh, that means that the RPG Maker on the other system is ****. :)

Hmm...the RPG Makers for PC don't take up a whole lot of ram...I'd still give it a shot before buying the PS2 version. The ones for PS are generally expensive, but the keyboard isn't too bad. Under $30 (USD) I believe. You can find them at stores such as Eb Games. I haven't seen very many copies of either the PS or PS2 versions of RPG Maker, but if you do find them in stores, they'll most likely be costing around $50 (USD) used. Possibly less. Don't take my word on it.

Resources are the chip/character/battle/ etc. sets. RPG maker for PS has a limited amount, in which you won't be able to import other sets anywhere else. But for the computer version, you can find many different resources across the net, or even make your own. That's one reason why I find it superior to the PS version.

And if you really want the advanced graphics, there is a PC version, named "RPG Maker XP'. I'm not sure about that one running very well on your computer, but the graphics have quite improved. Alas, there are not many resources to use...yet.

If you have a limited amount of money, I'd at least try and see if RPG Maker 2000 or RPG Maker 2003 works on your computer first, before you go out and buy the PS2 version.

Posted by Xenos

There was a "3d RPGMaker", no? That would actually be rather neat, but again, you have to use the same graphics over and over. The reason why I don't want a RPGMaker on an console other than the computer. You can't import anything new.

The one for PS2 you mean?

Posted by Legend Saber

Quoted post: And if you really want the advanced graphics, there is a PC version, named "RPG Maker XP'. I'm not sure about that one running very well on your computer, but the graphics have quite improved.

Lol, the funny thing is, this computer ran a Final Fantasy VIII PC demo at one and a half frames every three seconds, and that was on the feild, in battle, in was one frame every four seconds or so, and there wasn't even sound. Though, the thing didn't even run on my computer upstairs. Heh. But nah, I realize that the PC versaions are obviously superior to their console counterparts, I much prefer working with stuff on my PS2, that way I can just lay in bed and mess around for a couple of hours. I actually haven't even touched Diablo on my PC ever since I got the Playstation version, even though the Computer plays it much, much, much better. Though, the real problem here is that this computer isn't really mine to screw around with (it's my dad's), and my computer upstairs no longer has a disc drive and the floppy drive is almost dead (nowadays that thing seems to only want to read very small text files off floppies), so even if I get the PC versions, there's no way for me to play them. They must be really quite good, though, but I think I'll stick with a console version for now, as I'm an ameteur at this anyway and I'd rather get a feel for the console versions before I go on to something like the PC. Thanks for the help, though.

Posted by stepharneo

spamm

Well, when you do get it, tell us how it is.

Posted by LinksPast

How do you change the font in rpg maker 2003, It used to be here but u guys seemed to have cleaned out old posts while i was away.

I believe you can use a hex editor to change the font, although I haven't tried.

Posted by LinksPast

Quoting Angelwing: Hmm...the RPG Makers for PC don't take up a whole lot of ram...I'd still give it a shot before buying the PS2 version. The ones for PS are generally expensive, but the keyboard isn't too bad. Under $30 (USD) I believe. You can find them at stores such as Eb Games. I haven't seen very many copies of either the PS or PS2 versions of RPG Maker, but if you do find them in stores, they'll most likely be costing around $50 (USD) used. Possibly less. Don't take my word on it.

Resources are the chip/character/battle/ etc. sets. RPG maker for PS has a limited amount, in which you won't be able to import other sets anywhere else. But for the computer version, you can find many different resources across the net, or even make your own. That's one reason why I find it superior to the PS version.

And if you really want the advanced graphics, there is a PC version, named "RPG Maker XP'. I'm not sure about that one running very well on your computer, but the graphics have quite improved. Alas, there are not many resources to use...yet.

If you have a limited amount of money, I'd at least try and see if RPG Maker 2000 or RPG Maker 2003 works on your computer first, before you go out and buy the PS2 version.

I have both of the playstation version of rpgmaker, and they arent worth it, even if u manage to have the patiance to make the game, 1.) you cant distribute it for people to enjoy, 2.) You have to use to use the crappy stuff they give you.

I know. Although you are able to share the game if you have the memory card with you. But what would be the point. There would be a very limited amount of people to show. I'll most likely never bother with the PS versions, although I would like to check them out, at least.

Posted by project101

Has any one here ever used rpg maker Xp I'm working on getting the site for yall but I cant seem to find it when I get it ill post it but its like Rm2k but better every thing worx and you dont need to down load patches if any one has used it or is using it at the current time try and help me find a site to share with any one who wants one that is simplae but effective

Periods are your best friend.

And yes, I have used RPG Maker XP, although not excessively. If anything, I use 2000. XP didn't have nearly as many resources when I first used it, but I believe that there are a few more lying around somewhere now. But I'm fine with using 2000 or 2003, at the moment.

Posted by project101

see my problem is that 2000 dosent always workon my comp and dont get me started on 2003

Posted by project101

ok I found one that actually worx but dose any one know where I canfind some good games to down load to play

The requirements for RPG Maker 2000/2003 aren't very high, so you must have a really outdated computer. What exactly happens when you try to load them?

And for resources/game demos/tutorials etc. check out [url]www.gamingw.net[/url], or blade2k.net. Of course, there are others, but these are two of the bigger sites that I remember coming across.

Posted by project101

no what it is is some times like the font and walk event dont work on my computer but this one actually works so I'm haapily working on a project

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Where can I download RPG Maker 2003? (the actual program and the RTP, not just files for it)

Posted by Tails

I'm making a cool RPG, but I have one problem: The monsters are always to weak! I up their stats, but it still only does none or no damage! What am I doing wrong? (I Have the first RPG maker for PS1)

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Check the stats of your party memebers. Their armor and stuff too.

Posted by Tails

I tried... I equip with weak weapons and aromor, or not even any and they still are to weak. The greatest number for DEF I made was... I think 4 or 5. If I can just get this mastered, I'd be able to finish this and make it a challanging RPG!

Posted by Soulanim

Why the hell is it so freakin' hard to make an RPG??????

If you think RPG Maker is complex, think about what REAL developers use. Once you learn the basics of RPG Maker, it becomes fairly easy. Thing is, it's time consuming. But if you're having troubles with something specific, detail it in this thread, or go and do some reading.

Posted by Soulanim

Oh, sorry, I was just communicating frustrations...

Posted by Xenos

If you have a hard still, you might want to consult some tutorial sites.

Posted by rudybaga2

srry people what is the rpgmaker.never heard of it...can you make your own rpg .lol

No, it's for making fps's.

What do you think.

Posted by eternalchaos

Can someone tell me how to get my RPG's I've made online. I've made quite a few of them and some are actually good.

Posted by The Punisher

Yeah, find a server that will accept it. Some gaming websites might. Angelwang posted a link to a couple on the first page. They might have a place to upload.

Posted by Misty Meadow

Hi ya all :)
This is my very first time posting here, but I hope you'll help me anyway ;P
See, I was trying to follow this tutorial I fund for rpg-maker 2003.
At one point, I was supposed to make a new condition. Sure, I thought, no problem. Too bad it wasn't that easy. See, I was supposed to choose the: "No action allowed" option in the upper right corner to make the codition work. However, there was no such option, I could choose from four options. None of them were the "no action allowed" one. So I checked the help menu that comes with the game. There was a picture of the "condition"-window there, so I checked out the upper right corner and looked at what options there were there. And there it was, the "no action allowed" option, which was and still is impossible for me to see when creating a condition myself. A few other things had changed names aswell. Now I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my version. Do any of you got any idea as to why my game is screwed up? I want to finsih that tutorial! Do I simply got a sucky version of the game, and in that case, where do I get a new one? I understand if you're not allowed to post links, I know some chatboards don't allow that. If you are permitted, I'd really appreciate it :)

Different versions were translated differently. Some are so terrible it's hard to understand at all, unless you know what you're doing. I use RPG Maker 2000, so things aren't named the same there as in 2003. When you say 'condition', do you mean a fork option (condition)? Or do you just mean creating a new event and selecting the option to having the graphic stand still (no action)? I think you should take a screenshot of what you're trying to do and show me, so that I can better help you. Also, posting a link to the tutorial would also help some.

Yes, we are allowed to post links to helpful RPG Maker sites. :)

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Heh, there's not much about RPG maker that our buddy Angelwang doesn't know. :)

But just on a personal note, I'm wondering a few things.

When you guys (that is, those of you who have acutally made entire games with RPG maker, not just messed around) make games, do you do everything? Or do you use anything already the RTP? Do you get/make completely new monster graphics, or compose new midis? Or do you use the stuff already there? I've messed around with making new stuff, like I made a few battle animations using PNGs I found at a few resource sites, but I've never done anything from scratch, using Paint or anything.

I do a lot of composing using a program called "Midi Maker", and that's easy enough for me, I guess.

But when it comes to other stuff, it's just a lot of work. I use a lot of the pre-programmed spells, and a lot of the pre-programmed monsters, and almost all of the pre-programmed items. I'll sometimes rename the stuff (like changing "Iron Sword" to "Claymore" or something), but leave the item description and effects the same.

The deal is that it would take for-freaking-ever to make an RPG from scratch, with RPG Maker, since you're usually working alone. You know, when S-E makes a game, they have a huge team working on it, whether it's FF12 or FF1. But if you're alone, it takes a while.

So I'm just wondering what most of you do when making a game.

:cool:

Well, I haven't made a complete RPG yet, nor even one that is near completion. But, I can tell you what I've done so far/plan on doing:

I don't use the original RTP character files. I find different ones. I'd make my own, but I'm not big on making sprites, and it would take FOREVER to make custom sprites for everything. At least, if you're making them from scratch. If you want a little variety with minimal amount of time, take an existing sprite and just modify it a bit. It'll save you a lot of time. Or, you could ask someone that is great at creating custom sprites and ask them to do a couple for you. I know of a few people here that make sprites from scratch.

I'll be composing all of the music for my game. It won't be in midi format, which means that my game download file will be much larger than normal. I think that RPG Maker XP supports the .ogg extension, which will cut down on the file size a LOT (even smaller than .mp3) but I'm not going to use XP, so I'll probably have a .wav version as well as a .midi.

I like creating custom spells, weapon/armour names, because I love making up that sort of stuff, plus it gives my game a more unique feel. I then change the item description accordingly.

I'll also create a CBS for certain, and possibly a CMS. No random encounters in my game. :) Battles will be similar to the ones that take place in Chrono Cross, or Jade Cocoon II.

All this RPG talk makes me want to start up my game again. I've left it for so long. :(

Posted by Xenos

Be careful not to make it too big. :( Most people will flame you when you advertised it--or so I've noticed on many RPG maker forums...

Either way, here are some screenshots I made:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/Xuphansa/Game/Avegaza-WildWest-Saloon.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/Xuphansa/Game/Avegaza-WildWest2.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/Xuphansa/Game/Avegaza-MiddleEast.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/Xuphansa/Game/lolz.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/Xuphansa/Game/Avegaza-Gensis.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/Xuphansa/Game/Avegaza-China.jpg

Yeah, I know. ;p Which is why I'm having a choice between midi (small size) and mp3 (much larger size). :)

Those are some very nice screenshots! I especially like the last one with the little frog.

Posted by Special Agent Bob

Where'd you get that RPG Maker Xenos? Mine is nothing like that.

You can download character sets/panoramas/spells/chipsets/etc. besides the ones that are packaged in the RTP. You could even make your own, if you were so inclined.

Posted by Red

so the RPG maker your talking about is also for PS1 right because I have an RPG Maker for PS1.

No, we are primarily discussing the versions for PC, which are very different to the PSX/2 versions. But you can still ask questions concerning the console versions here if you wish.

Posted by Red

oh alright, If I get my game back I might.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Look what's coming out in February.

[url=http://www.tkool.jp/products/rpgvx/eng/index.html]RPG maker VX[/url]

Idk, I feel that this next instalment is about as big as Windows 95 to 98, hardly noticable.

Posted by Roger Smith

Ppl complained that XP was too large, so they're downsizing the sprites and frame to resemble older RPG's, which is fine in my book.

Posted by Xenos

I've played a demo of VX, eh. I don't like it too much.

Posted by Roger Smith

I still have too much to learn in XP to jump over to a new program.

But when Feb rolls around, I'll be sure to check it out. Who knows, maybe I will make the jump.

Posted by Chrono

don't you have to pay for the full xp version? or is that freeware/illegally downloadable somewhere now?

Posted by Roger Smith

Postality Knights edition. Only problem is, more and more people are dropping it in favor of the official XP translation from Enterbrain. Which is actually fine with me, if I had the 60 some odd bucks to shell out for XP I would.