The Game Cube Clock/Calendar

Posted by D.J Cat

When the Gamecube was released this was a great feature.
It had the potential to make for some great gameplay oppurtunities in the future.
And Star Wars: Rouge Leader was a good example with the training missions being available in 4 different time zones.

Now a few years later and not many games have made much use of this.
There was Animal Crossing of course.
And Paper Mario makes a little use of it.
And the game I've been enjoying lately that makes great use of it is Pokemon Channel.

But thats about it.
Is there some games I am missing?
Or more that are going to be released?
Or will it stay as an underused and missed potential?

Hopefully the new Zelda game will have some elements in it to do with the clock...

Posted by Bebop

How does Paper Mario use the clock/calender?

Posted by coromoro

The only thing I can think of is when there's some guy in Rogueport, and he will give you a different number everyday for a lottery. Maybe D.J Cat referred to that.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, The Simpsons: Road Rage also made use of the calendar and the clock by adding a different car on special holidays.

Posted by Bebop

I like it when games use a concoles clock/calender but they are either dependant on it (Animal Crossing) or simply use it for Easter Eggs. I prefer the former.

Posted by Nizmo

Some games, in the near future, would probably include this feature. I've heard of a couple of fighting games that are going to base themselves on time-released characters. Take Tekken 5 for example. A few weeks into the game, and you'd find a new character available for selection.

The only other game that I've played that used this was The Simpsons: Road Rage. I remember using Bart in his Halloween ego; and no doubt, it was unlocked on the 31st of October.

I'd like to see more time/calendar games out there, but not too many. That could get annoying.

Posted by loony636

I don't see the point of incorporating a clock/calendar with any console. I just don't see the point of some games beeing able to know what day it is...

Posted by Crono

Well, for games like Zelda, where different enemies appear at night, it would be useful, because it would truly know when it was nighttime and give the game more realism, I think. It wouldn't work for a lot of games though.