Help - my nintendo 64 is not working.

Posted by Nintendo 64

I got it today and have no idea how to set it up.
with it i got 2 leads, plug and the earial -is that all i need for it? so i plugged it all in and set it up but i cant seem to find what channel it is on, a freind of mine said i have to tune it in to my tv, i tried that but no look.. it turns on though but thers no sound or image. please can someone help =(

Posted by Vasioth

Ok, I think I know the solution to this one. I shall give you a 3 example explanation to what may be the problem.

1) The Wire you put in the back of your TV might not be in properly. See it? Can you see it? That's it, reach for it. Now put it in properly.
2) The Wire that goes in the back of you're TV might be broken (Wire inside it has snapped or a main wire has snapped). If it’s an Adaptor (Or I forget its real name) cable you might have the Red, Yellow and White bit's in the wrong slots.
3) You may have to put the Channel on "0" if it’s an old TV or on an AV channel to get the picture up. If it’s installing on a Normal TV Channel and its not an Adaptor you're using... I don't know.
Extra Solution: Change your name to something that doesn't have to do with the console itself.

I hope that... sort of helped anyhow.

Posted by Nintendo 64

Nope that didnt do it thanks anyway.
BTW i didnt get a coulerd wire with the console, was i suppose to?

Posted by Tyler Durden

Vasioth is right:
[LIST]
[*]One or more of your AV cable-leads [RED= Right Audio Ch; WHITE= Left Audio Ch; YELLOW= Video link] may have internally snapped, or frayed. You could have a dead jack.
[*]Your input lead to the N64 may not be properly inserted, sometimes they tend to "giggle" loose.
[*]I've had this problem before numerous times with my N64got, LameCube, and Sh!tNES. All a matter of loose AV connectivity.
[*]And, if you were one of the unlucky reciever of the RF Switchbox, [it's a tiny black "box-like" object that you plug into the AV port on your N64, then adapt it to an SNES/NES RF Adapter]. Then you may just have your TV set on the wrong channel, [Channels 3 or 4 will suffice].[/LIST]My advice, go back to your local videogame supplier, ask for a used GameCube AV Cable. Shouldn't run you more than $5-$9 in the hole.. If you did happen to get an RF Switchbox with your N64, scrap it to the closet.

Posted by bazariah

Quoting Nintendo 64: Nope that didnt do it thanks anyway.
BTW i didnt get a coulerd wire with the console, was i suppose to?

since i have no idea where you're from im gonna try and clear this up

if you're in the states, you'll need rca composite leads (red,white, yello0 yellow is tv, and the red and white are audio left and right

in the uk, it came with an RF coaxial lead.. with that just plug it into your tv and then use your t.v's remote control (or onboard menu's) to auto tune or fine tune a channel

alternativley if you have a gamecube you can use the tv lead from that.. or you can just buy a lead from a shop like GAME

you can either go with rca into scart euro connector or just a scart lead

and maybe just maybe try switching the console on... or cleaning the carts