Overrated Games?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

What game(s) do you feel got a lot of undeserved praise by the media at release and beyond? I'm inspired to make this thread after finally picking Halo (

Posted by Zeta

Oh snap, first to say Final Fantasy VII. :cool:

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Shadow of the Colossus, World of Warcraft.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Shadow of the Colossus, World of Warcraft.

Those and Guitar Hero, Madden series, annnnnnnnnnnd Chrono Trigger

Gears of War, Ocarina of Time, Viewtiful Joe, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Knights of the Old Republic

Posted by GameMiestro

Metroid Prime Hunters. Does it have a good multiplayer? Yes. Is it the Halo/Half Life killing super-game that many wi-fi obsessed players make it out to be? I really don't think so. If it had team battles for 8+ players and the ability to chat with anonymous players, it might have gone down as legendary, but for now, I'm putting it on my "it was fun while it lasted" list.

Posted by TheSorrow

Viewtiful Joe and Shadow of the Colossus

Posted by Speedfreak

Halo 1 and 2. I mean come on, perfect scores all round, gimme a break. If Metroid Prime 2 had points deducted for an okayish additional multiplayer then Halo 2 should have points deducted for the abysmal main game.

Posted by Bebop

Halo 1 + 2

Original Metroid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Posted by Linko_16

I wasn't aware of Viewtiful Joe even being all the hyped.

I can't think of any offhand.

Posted by Ant

You're an over-rated game.

Quoted post: I wasn't aware of Viewtiful Joe even being all the hyped.

Go back in time before Clover killed it.

Posted by Bebop

I never thought it was over hyped. Meh I didnt really care for it before I played it though.

Not over hyped. Overrated.

Posted by Unite

zelda tp

haha, prey overrated? What?

Posted by Unite

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: haha, prey overrated? What?

lol actually i just wanted to list a second game but felt my first choice for a seconnd game would result in nothing but insults. So i just randomly picked prey

Posted by TendoAddict

Tetris seems overated to me. others obvious ones have already been said.

I don't think I've ever heard of "Tetris" being overrated. That's a first.

Posted by s0ul

All the Metroids.

Posted by Linko_16

Tetris is @#$%ing awesome. Go to he[color=indigo]ll.[/color]

Posted by GameMiestro

If we're going to go into classics, put Super Mario Bros on the list. I've never gotten through a playing session with that game without feeling mad and tired by the end of it- too many cheap deaths.

Posted by s0ul

And Resident Evil 4!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting s0ul: And Resident Evil 4!

What didn't you like about it? I have to say, it's one of the best games I played last year.

Just to add another game to the list, I find the Dead or Alive series to be a very lacking fighter, considering all the good press.

:(

Posted by Bebop

Gah I meant to say over rated.

Final Fantasy 10. Complete horse dick.

Sonic the Hedgehog.

Posted by Bebop

Jak and Daxter
Devil May Cry

Posted by Ant

Quoting GameMiestro: If we're going to go into classics, put Super Mario Bros on the list. I've never gotten through a playing session with that game without feeling mad and tired by the end of it- too many cheap deaths.

You must really suck then. :3

Posted by Bebop

Meteos

Posted by Ant

Bebop

[popular game]

Posted by Speedfreak

I think a lot of people are listing games that they just don't like rather than games that are geniunely overrated. For example, Soul hates Metroid because the attention-span required isn't usually to his tastes, I know this personally because he hates most other games that require a large attention span, like Resident Evil. But he'd be retarded to deny the game's ridiculously high production values.

Halo 1 and parts of 2 is another story, no one would really deny that the parts of the game that are just the same level repeated seven times in a row are just total bulls[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it.

I think Sonic 1 is insanely overrated. It really just plays like a shoddy Mario clone with a handful of screens that make use of Sonic's rolling ability. It's slow, unfair and has a lot of poorly designed levels that are only made more frustrating by Sonic's absurd acceleration. Sonic 2 is where it's at.

[quote=s0ul]And Resident Evil 4!

Just because you're woefully shit at it. COULDN'T GET PAST THE FIRST VILLAGE FIGHT LOL.

Posted by Bebop

Soul couldnt get past the first village bit! Christ. Shocking. I didnt think being that crap was possible.

Quoted post: I think a lot of people are listing games that they just don't like rather than games that are geniunely overrated.

Agreed. Though pretty much every game I listed I actually like :(

And I died a good five times in the first village. I didn't expect any difficulty so it took me by surprise.

Posted by Bebop

Theres a difference between dying a few times and never ever getting past it to the extene you'll never pick it up again. Thats bordline disabled.

Posted by TendoAddict

How could you not get past the village? If you didnt in that one house you didnt even have to fight the chain saw guy. Hell you didnt even need to kill anyone just run away long enough.

All the times I've replayed the game, I have yet to meet the chainsaw guy at the very beginning.

Quest 64.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: All the times I've replayed the game, I have yet to meet the chainsaw guy at the very beginning.

Chainsaw guy first shows up on the way back from escaping after being tied up with Luis, I believe.

Oh, I thought I heard that he shows up if you go a certain direction. That would make sense then.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Yeah, Halo 1's single player was bull**** for a lot of it. That library level where you had to protect the orb thing while it broke through a door about sixty times over? Ridiculous.

Having said that, I definitely still think it's worth at least an 8, even after all this time. I find the story engaging and I'm genuinely interested in the next instalment.

Posted by Echo

Quoting Wings: Yeah, Halo 1's single player was bull**** for a lot of it. That library level where you had to protect the orb thing while it broke through a door about sixty times over? Ridiculous.

Having said that, I definitely still think it's worth at least an 8, even after all this time. I find the story engaging and I'm genuinely interested in the next instalment.

Indeed. The Library is where I got fed up and quit playing the single player in Halo. I still like the game, but only for multiplayer. Twice this week me and friends have LAN'd together and played mostly Halo and had loads of fun. But the single player really genuinely sucks.

I'm glad I played through it in co-op. Without that it would have been no fun at all. But the 'oh sh[color=white]it dude there's four of them over here and I've got a swarm all over me, FU[/COLOR]CK SIX BULLETS, COME HELP NOW' factor really helps the game along.

Posted by Bebop

If you enter the house on the left just before the tower a cut scene will take place where Leon pushes a piece of furniture in front of the door. This is Mr Happy Chainsaw's first appearance.

Am I the only one who didn't mind, and even liked, the Library from Halo 1?

Posted by Average n00b

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: World of Warcraft.

I second that.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Bebop: Theres a difference between dying a few times and never ever getting past it to the extene you'll never pick it up again. Thats bordline disabled.

Vampiro tried five times! I tried twice then quit because it wasn't fun. Speedy told me the real strategy was to run away and without hesitation I drove the game on over to the friend I was borrowing it from, never to play it again.

The reason I hate Metroid isn't because I don't have the attention span, there's plenty games that take that kind of attention span, and I play them! The thing that sucks balls about Metroid is that you do 50% of the game, then you do the same 50% backwards. The game's just insanely unstructured and equally unfun.

RE4 I just couldn't understand why everyone liked so much. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, the village wasn't the only part I'd played, I've played a number of other sections of the game both on PS2 and Gamecube and can't understand what's so fun about it. There's not much wrong with it, but it's nothing remotely special. I hate how people think that because a game has an original design it's inherently good.

Quoted post: Vampiro tried five times! I tried twice then quit because it wasn't fun. Speedy told me the real strategy was to run away and without hesitation I drove the game on over to the friend I was borrowing it from, never to play it again.

I died five times because I didn't expect it to be difficult AND I wanted to kill them not just run away. Which I ended up doing. Christ, I couldn't imagine you trying to get past the house defense level. You'd probably die of frustration. Good times.

People found it fun and enjoyed it, because, contrary to how you feel, it was immensely fun and a really fresh experience.

Posted by s0ul

**** negro i wasn't all up hatin on ur skrillz

I maintain that it sucks balls. Fresh is not inherently fun.

Quoted post: **** negro i wasn't all up hatin on ur skrillz

Yes you were, you *****. I gotsta defend my mad skills if you be all attackin a brotha.

Posted by Zeta

Super Mario Bros. 3 & the Metal Gear Solid series.

Posted by protomanv4

O snap, u beat me in makeing this thread. I think the Naruto ninja... games for Gba are overrated, Viewtiful Joe(for crying out loud the tv shows where i live were rated 7 and up) yes and Zelda Tp, even though I don't own the game I have seen my friend play it.

Yeah... those Naruto games sure were overrated.

Posted by Kit

FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer. Owned by every chav in Britain.

Posted by Bebop

If you dont like RE4 you have no game taste. Simple as that.

I have to agree. And this coming from a guy who enjoyed Jak and Daxter *oscar*

Posted by Bebop

At least you have standards low enough to include Resi 4 :cookie:

That almost doesn't make any sense.

Posted by Bebop

Almost. Almost.

But then it does. Somehow... with your Bebop logic.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Bebop: If you dont like RE4 you have no game taste. Simple as that.

You like Sunshine and Banana Blitz.

Just a heads up.

Posted by Bebop

Dont you like DDR?

You hate Banana Blitz for the dumbest reason. Your only problem with Banana Blitz is the levels are longer. Thats retarded. Especially coming from a guy whos favorite Monkey Ball is Monkey Ball 2, the installment with arguable the worst single player levels. You've ingnored every other great aspect for that game because "redoing a 2 minute level is annoying". Guess what, replaying 30 stages AGAIN is annoying! Still didnt stop me enjoying Monkey Ball 1.

For a guy whos crazy about Halo 2 as well your pesky mortal words do me no harm.

Posted by s0ul

How is that a dumb reason? The levels are HUGE, its a complete departure from the series, one of the big things that makes the series awesome no less. It's not a platformer, and they shouldn't have made it like one. If the levels are ****ty, and at least half of them are, what other "great aspects" could you possibly be referring to?

And since when am I crazy about Halo 2? Even when I played Halo 2 all I did was complain about how much i sucked.

Posted by Bebop

You hate the game, ignoring everything else about it that makes it great, because some of the levels are bigger. Cry baby. Your picking out one fault, that really isnt that bad, and hating it for that. if we all did that than every video game it bad.

You enjoyed playing Halo 2. That is enough to question your taste in anything. You dont need to remind us you suck at games. You couldnt get past the first village bit in Resi for ***s sake. Christ getting fun out of Halo multi is crazy enough.

Posted by s0ul

NEED I REMIND YOU I WAS NUMBER 1 ON THE CRIMSON SKIES LEADERBOARDS

Or top 128 in Halo 2? I'm pretty sure I can shoot. I hereby challenge you to... every game ever. And you didn't answer my question.

Posted by Bebop

If you rank 128 in Halo you must play it alot. An awful lot. Perhaps so much you, yourself subconsioculy or conciously, are crazy about it. From what I know you played it an awful lot with Speedy. And to play it so much means you were not affected by its poor gameplay. Perhpas you ENJOYED the gameplay so much. Hmm? Let us dwell on this. And ponder.

Posted by Crazy K

Halo 1 and 2, Madden Series, Final Fantasy series, Guitar Hero, Grand Theft auto series, and world of warcraft.

Posted by Bebop

DDR. Or any of those dancing games. 'Dancing' and looking like an idiot isnt fun.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Bebop: If you rank 128 in Halo you must play it alot. An awful lot. Perhaps so much you, yourself subconsioculy or conciously, are crazy about it. Let us dwell on this.

I played it a lot when it first came out, which was when I was ranked high. Then I moved on to better games, like... not playing games for like a year. Halo 2 genuinely killed my enthusiasm for games, no joke. I honestly do not like it!

Anyway, I take that as an acceptance of my challenge.

Posted by Shade

World of Warcraft, Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VII.

Anyone say Grand Turismo yet?

Oh and Shade reminded me that Golden Sun is overrated by its fans.

Posted by Kit

Also; Grand Theft Auto, Metroid Prime and Kingdom Hearts

Posted by s0ul

...We're pretty much just listing every game that anyone's ever said is good.

Yup.

Quoting s0ul: NEED I REMIND YOU I WAS NUMBER 1 ON THE CRIMSON SKIES LEADERBOARDS

Or top 128 in Halo 2? I'm pretty sure I can shoot. I hereby challenge you to... every game ever. And you didn't answer my question.

Wow, I suddenly don't feel so bad about losing at Fight Night.

Posted by Zeta

Might as well start listing underrated games. :cookie:

ninja'd

Posted by Bebop

If it Starts with Grand and ends with Turismo or Auto you know its overrated turd.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Anyone say Grand Turismo yet?

Oh and Shade reminded me that Golden Sun is overrated by its fans.

Vamp reminded me that Ninja Gaiden is overrated by its fans. :cookie:

Posted by Bebop

Oh it is. For sure. Average button mashing Ninja game FTW.

Quoted post: Vamp reminded me that Ninja Gaiden is overrated by its fans.

You say that like it's not horribly obvious. Though I disagree with it being a button-masher. Pretty good way to die quick.

Posted by Pit

I can definately beat Soul in fight night.

once i get my 360, i challenge soul to a fight.

Posted by Bebop

I got through the majority of fighting through mindless button pressing. Mionions anyway. Not bosses. It didnt work a few times and you didnt get much points but it worked well and enough times for it to be a button masher.

Quoting Bebop: If it Starts with Grand and ends with Turismo or Auto you know its overrated turd.

Nice try at being witty, but as usual, you fail. There's no such game as Grand Turismo.

Posted by Bebop

Who cares. Gran Turismo is about as fun as your own dad's funeral. The fact I got the name wrong means about as much to me as the next coma inducing installment of this dreary 'racer sim'.

Quoting Bebop: Who cares. Gran Turismo is about as fun as your own dad's funeral. The fact I got the name wrong means about as much to me as the next coma inducing installment of this dreary 'racer sim'.

I dunno. I went to my dad's funeral just the other day, and they had cake.

Posted by Bebop

Cake aye? Well, hmm that changes everything. What kind of cake? It really depdends. If it was fruit cake then it must have been the same as playing Devil May Cry. However if it was of chocolate origin then I would assume it woulndt be as bad. Maybe like Die Hard Vendetta, or some other average FPS.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Gears of War, Ocarina of Time, Viewtiful Joe, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Knights of the Old Republic

I weap for you

Because those aren't overrated? Please.

Posted by coolness432

I dunno...Probably Original Super Mario Brothers.

Posted by Apathetic

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Shadow of the Colossus, World of Warcraft.

wow, I guess I could see that? care to explain?
GTA

Posted by Bebop

Quoting coolness432: I dunno...Probably Original Super Mario Brothers.

Ok, that's taking things too far.

Quoted post: wow, I guess I could see that? care to explain?

Neither are that great.

Posted by Apathetic

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Neither are that great.

I meant wow, and wow is great :(. Meh good for you, work isnt to fun on wow lol.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Because those aren't overrated? Please.

please OOT is one of the best games ever and the best Zelda in the series bar none. Saying that OOT is "overrated" is pretty much saying you love Satan

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Tiptoegecko: please OOT is one of the best games ever and the best Zelda in the series bar none. Saying that OOT is "overrated" is pretty much saying you love Satan

You know a game is overrated when people say things like this.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Zeta: You know a game is overrated when people say things like this.

Satanist

Quoted post: please OOT is one of the best games ever and the best Zelda in the series bar none. Saying that OOT is "overrated" is pretty much saying you love Satan

Way to prove it's overrated, nub.

Posted by Unite

mario sunshine, I was told this was the best game ever made.

Posted by Dexter

I got it after hearing it was the worst Mario game ever.

Quoted post: mario sunshine, I was told this was the best game ever made.

... Mario... sunshine... overrated? Hahahahaha.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Unite: mario sunshine, I was told this was the best game ever made.

Whoever told you that is an idiot.

Posted by s0ul

Mario Sunshine got good reviews, if I remember correctly. And it sucked testicles, if I remember correctly. I'd consider it overrated.

Posted by Zeta

Sunshine was a decent game. People just whine about it because it wasn't Super Mario 64 2.

Quoted post: Mario Sunshine got good reviews,

From critics. Everyone else pretty much panned it.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Zeta: Sunshine was a decent game. People just whine about it because it wasn't Super Mario 64 2.

Agreed. I cant stand it when people hate this game but love Jak and Daxter. Its clear that Sunshine is the lesser of 2 evils but its stupid Jak and Daxter doesnt get nearly as much grief as Sunshine get.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Quest 64.

What are you talking about? The game has pretty much been panned by everyone. It sucks, and is not overrated.

Indeed.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Way to prove it's overrated, nub.

Satanist

Posted by Kit

Quoted post: Satanist

Hey, at least Satanists have a free will, unlike you all in the OoT bandwagon. :cookie:

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Kit: Hey, at least Satanists have a free will, unlike you all in the OoT bandwagon. :cookie:

Shut your mouth you dumb Brit.

Posted by Speedfreak

Majora's Mask is better than OoT, but I have no qualms with OoT being most often rated as the best game of all time.

Posted by Bebop

Metal Gear Solid?: The Twin Snakes

5 hour gameplay is not 'DA BEST THING EVAR'

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Tiptoegecko]Saying that OOT is "overrated" is pretty much saying you love Satan

Stupid enlarged Enter key, I meant: "Who doesn't love Satan?"

Quoted post: Metal Gear Solid?: The Twin Snakes

5 hour gameplay is not 'DA BEST THING EVAR'

Twin Snakes isn't that loved, actually. Maybe the original MGS, but not TS.

Posted by Bebop

I thought the orignal was called Twin Snakes. Is Twin Snakes just the name for the remake? In any case it doesnt really matter. They are both the same game. Both are stupidly short.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Bebop: I thought the orignal was called Twin Snakes. Is Twin Snakes just the name for the remake? In any case it doesnt really matter. They are both the same game. Both are stupidly short.

The remake is called twin snakes, Original on ps1 was alot harder than the remake.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Twin Snakes is the GCN only-remake. Solely because the original MGS:TEA felt ugly and wanted to look as pretty as it's younger sibling titles, Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Unite: The remake is called twin snakes, Original on ps1 was alot harder than the remake.

Not really. Even though Snake has moves from MGS2 implanted into the remake you really dont need to use them. Even if the challenge was slightly different between the 2, both are as long as a Peter Jackson film.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Peter Jackson films, ewww.. ****ing gross. The Frighteners was okay, well something Peter Jackson's directed has to be okay.

The only reason the original MGS was harder than Twin Snakes is because it had digital control and was also fucking batshit awful.

It's true. Which is weird because people complain about Matrix **** and different dialogue/voice actors in the remake, yet, it's actually a better game.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Wings: The only reason the original MGS was harder than Twin Snakes is because it had digital control and was also fucking batshit awful.

Really? I didnt know that. That just sounds unplayable to me.

All three MGS games are actually in my pile of shame. I almost beat Twin Snakes but there was a disc error, and I hadn't saved since before I had to do all the backtracking after Sniper Wolf to get the gun and it annoyed me too much. I played the PS1 game after and it was just ridiculous - the guy in the tank is almost impossible with digital movement.

I'll have to get back in over summer or something and beat it, though.

Posted by Greasyhead

Metroid Prime.

Posted by S

Hmm... I'd have to say the game I've been most disappointed with for a long time was Tales of Symphonia. I felt like I was playing something from Nick-Teen. Let's hope Tales of the Abyss proves to be mature enough to appeal to my tastes.

Posted by Linko_16

The only Nick show I can think of that'd be like Tales of Symphonia would be Avatar, and that's far from an insult.

Posted by S

Quoting Linko_16: The only Nick show I can think of that'd be like Tales of Symphonia would be Avatar, and that's far from an insult.

Well, I didn't mean it to be an insult - don't get me wrong. Just didn't come close to my taste or the hype I saw for it.

Posted by Bebop

That Rockstar Table Tennis game. Easily one of the ****test, slowest and most boring game Ive ever had the misfortune to play.

Rockstar in general is overrated.

Quoting Bebop: That Rockstar Table Tennis game. Easily one of the ****test, slowest and most boring game I've ever had the misfortune to play.

Completely disagree. It's like

Posted by Unite

Quoting Lunairetic: Hmm... I'd have to say the game I've been most disappointed with for a long time was Tales of Symphonia. I felt like I was playing something from Nick-Teen. Let's hope Tales of the Abyss proves to be mature enough to appeal to my tastes.

Tales of abyss is better than symphonia in every way.

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, but if someone doesn't like Symphonia, chances are they won't care much for Abyss.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Bebop: That Rockstar Table Tennis game. Easily one of the ****test, slowest and most boring game Ive ever had the misfortune to play.

Wii Play's table tennis offering would disagree with you!

Overrated game of the century: World of Warcraft. I went to my local LAN centre tonight, and over three quarters of the PCs were being used for a raid. A raid. At a LAN. Where's the fun there? The game, for the most part, involves hard computing labour, with walking taking up 80% of gameplay and begging/prostitution being the crux of the game's economy.

Quoted post: Completely disagree. It's like £15 and it's surprisingly deep, especially given that it's mainly a showcase for their new engine. I'm guessing you only played the demo, or played it at a friend's house, or something. You don't even own an Xbox!

Agreed. Get a friend and keep going until 60+ returns and you start to realise, for the price, it's actually a really good game.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Unite: Tales of abyss is better than symphonia in every way.

I'm currently playing through Abyss, and so far I don't find it better or worse than Symphonia. Battle style, plot progression, dungeons, atmosphere, general feel of the game... it's practically the same game, not counting the story. Not saying that's a bad thing, either; I liked Symphonia, so this is just more of a good thing.

So I guess I agree with Dexter: if you didn't like Symphonia, I'd be surprised to find you really liked Abyss.

Posted by Dexter

I wasn't sure if I liked it more than Symphonia while I was playing it, but afterwards, once I was able to retrospect, I found I liked Abyss more. It is the best of the Tales series. Great cast of memorable characters.

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Greasyhead: Metroid Prime.

Posted by S

Quoting Dexter: I wasn't sure if I liked it more than Symphonia while I was playing it, but afterwards, once I was able to retrospect, I found I liked Abyss more. It is the best of the Tales series. Great cast of memorable characters.

We'll see, I'm on the third boss now I think. The retard on the ship, who uses the thrown-together robot. It cleaned my clock when I first fought it, that game has very little preparation as far as leveling and skill goes... or at least so far. I'm pretty thorough about leveling and the lot but the boss fights are kinda iffy. The only thing it has going for it at the moment is the beginning cut scene, that still has my interest and the toughness of the bosses... though its more of a luck aspect than genuine difficulty.

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Wings;518033]Completely disagree. It's like

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]EA makes poor sports games? woot?[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]EA makes poor sports games? woot?[/COLOR]

Yes. How is Fifa 2007 different to Fifa 2006? A new kit and menu music and thats it. Doesnt deserve to be called a good game when it is merely a re-packaging of the previous title you cock.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Well they do rehash their stuff on a yearly basis, but with sports games that's acceptable since the roster of players in the NFL, NBA, FIFA, etc are always changing and a majority of the people who play these games care about that and want to see those changes be reflected in the games as well. They can't drastically improve every single aspect of the game every year because they're just sports games, but they're not bad games by any stretch of the word.

Cock. [/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

EA Sports games are overrated. The difference between the 2 newest versions are quite frankly nil. Yet every new game will wow over masses of critics and beaner idiots with facial deformities who take photos of themselves wearing headphones with the only REAL significent difference being a kit update. Wow. Great. Awesome. So worth an extra 40 quid. A new skin texture doesnt make a game great. Thus it is overrated. If EA dont want to be critised for this than they should stop making them on a yearly basis. Its not a hard thing to comprehend.

Quoted post: Yes. How is Fifa 2007 different to Fifa 2006? A new kit and menu music and thats it. Doesnt deserve to be called a good game when it is merely a re-packaging of the previous title you cock.

Go play NHL '07.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Some EA sports games are reasonably good, as Madden '07 on the Wii, Fight Night and the Tiger Woods series can attest.

And NHL '07.

Posted by Bebop

If I wanted to play NHL id get the 04 additon. It'd be cheaper and its the same game!

Ba dum dsh

But seriously folks, in all honesty how is 07 different to 06?

Except, you know, they completely redid the controls making it an entirely different game from any other. Huh, innovation. Go figure.

Posted by Bebop

Great. So instead of X being pass now square is? Lol purchase.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Bebop: Great. So instead of X being pass now square is? Lol purchase.

Play the game then come back.

Bebop is so cute sometimes.

Yeah, The next NHL control scheme (along with Fight Night's, actually) is amazing - it's one of the things EA have done right recently.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting The X: Play the game then come back.

No. Hockey sucks.

Even if EA finally managed to make an annual sports game that was different to the previous year that doesnt account for the thousands of other yearly games that are mere re-packaging. NHL 07 may be different to 06, but 06 is just like 05, and 05 like 04 and so on I'm willing to bet, if every other EA annual franchise update is anything to go by. The amount of idiots who pracitally set up parades celebrating the new release of a FIFA game still proves that EA Sports games are overrated.

You're absolutely right about your point, but the arguments you're using are outdated - EA have been very careful recently about actually upgrading their games, and your original argument was that they make them poorly.

Back to TT though, and it's unfortunate that you're quite right about just hitting A. Not actually owning the game I can't really confirm anything about how to get past that, but that really is the only flaw in an otherwise polished game. And really, you can liken that technique to spawn-camping - respectable players don't do it, and play it as it was intended.

No one's denying EA sports games are overrated. Madden is still one of the top selling games year after year for no apparent reason. But to say EA isn't doing **** with their games and making them poorly is completely wrong. Wings is right in that they've been careful to actually do something with their games after getting considerable flak.

Posted by Bebop

They are doing **** all with their games and making them poorly. The difference between say Fifa 06 and 05 are so small it shouldnt be called 'a great game' or even an installment. But it is. Thats a poorly made game because its the same ****ing game from a year ago. I dont know why you think its a crazy statement to say "EA isnt doing **** with their games" when the evidence is right there. They have occasionally done something about it but not enough. Its shocking quite frankly. If a developer re-packages a game I consider it doing **** all with the series. How can you think different is beyond me. Christ even Hudson but more effort into the Mario party series than EA have put to their sports games. You may say "well its harder to improve a sports game over a year than adding minigame" but thasts stupid because if EA dont want to be attacked for doing just that than they shouldnt do it.

As for TT its certainly not the only flaw. And its a very big flaw. Its not the same as spawn camping at all. If you want to spawn camp you have to make at least some effort to ge to the location. Possibly fighint opponents to get there and acquiring a good weapon. In TT you dont even have to do that. Your put in a place where combined with a bat swing enables you to hit very nearly every ****ing shot that comes your way. Thats poor design. Its nothing to do with being a respectable player if the abilty to play like that is pretty much forced onto you. You dont NEED to play anyother way. Thats a huge flaw. If you want to return a ball a simple press of A will do the trick. Saying thats not respectable is stupid. Your not being a bad player if you play the game how its supposed to be played! Its stupid for Rockstar to make it possible to do that. Its effortless and easy to play and win. It would be more effort to play differently and frankly if you have to make effort to play a game differently just to get the basic fundementals out of it its not worthy to be called good. Thats not what sport is about. Textbook bad sports game.

You're completely out to lunch on this and your font size makes me even more frustrated with you.

A re-release of a good game doesn't then make it a bad game. It makes it a good game with a few added features. Yes, the people who buy them year on year are idiots, but if the last football game I bought was Pro Evo 4 and I was looking to buy another then I'd be a fool not to get 6. That's where the upgrade comes into play.

Posted by Bebop

Fifa 07 isnt a re-release though. Its considered another installment, a seperate game all together and worst off all a great acheivment worth 40 quid. Your right, a re-release doesnt make it a bad game. Super Mario Bros on VC is still great. Howver these arent considered that way. So they become nothing new. They are old, unorignal and weve seen it before. Thats why they fail. Yet people treat them as if its the first sports video game ever. Buying say 01 then getting 08 is different though. The ever so slight differences between the versions would accumulate to make a notable difference, possibly, and I would say thats ok. If NH7 07 is as different as made out to be then getting 06 and then 07 doesnt seem like a bad idea, but Im only going on what Vamp said so im taking it with a pinch of salt. However I know for a fact the 08 version isnt going to be as much a far cry of 07 as 07 was of 06. I just hate hearing from the people who buy them ever year that "they get better and better". They dont.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;522867]No one's denying EA sports games are overrated. Madden is still one of the top selling games year after year for no apparent reason. But to say EA isn't doing **** with their games and making them poorly is completely wrong. Wings is right in that they've been careful to actually do something with their games after getting considerable flak.

EA don't make bad games, they greenlight them.

Posted by WackoHater2

Need for Speed: Carbon.

This is the last time I start an argument in favour of a game I've hardly played. The upshot of it all is that I bought Rockstar's Table Tennis on eBay just now. When it gets here I'll be sure to tell you guys what I think of it.

Posted by Orlandu

You ppl dont like any games that have gotten any kind of credit as a good game. It's gotta be somethin "noobs" haven't played or it sucks. Games get popular because a lot of ppl enjoy playing them, it's not because they suck. That makes absolutley no sense. Most of u guys that go around calling everybody noobs on chat lines are most likely noobs at life, living in your moms house playing the X-box or PS3 your parents bought you. Congrats on being so cool little guy, now hit the little X on your porno pop-up and zip up your pants.

Posted by Orlandu

Maybe Sports games are too complicated for you, or maybe it reminds you of sweating?

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Orlandu: You ppl dont like any games that have gotten any kind of credit as a good game. It's gotta be somethin "noobs" haven't played or it sucks. Games get popular because a lot of ppl enjoy playing them, it's not because they suck. That makes absolutley no sense. Most of u guys that go around calling everybody noobs on chat lines are most likely noobs at life, living in your moms house playing the X-box or PS3 your parents bought you. Congrats on being so cool little guy, now hit the little X on your porno pop-up and zip up your pants.

Maybe this is beyond your intellectual capacity, but it's possible to just play a game and think "Gee, despite everything people have been saying about this game, I'm not having much fun with it." Your own personal opinion shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not everyone else liked it.

Posted by s0ul

There's always something really funny about a guy on a video game forum making fun of people for being nerds. Especially when they have a Star Wars avatar.

Posted by Red

some over-rated games eh?

well in my oppinion, Halo in general is an overated series, along with GTA

Posted by Orlandu

Never said I wasnt a nerd, all I'm sayin is u guys cant just like a game, it's gotta be "deep". Didnt mean to hurt ur litle feelings. Everyone *****es about having there own opinion and can't have mine. Dont take offense and cry now little ppl. And yes, I know I have balls, I get of the couch and use them. I've been playing vieo games my whole life, but, I don't cry everytime someone says anything about me. I beleive it's just because most of u are going thru pueberty and have the whole teenage angst thing goin on, but, I forgive u. Honestly, you guys take this forum a liiiiittle too seriously. By the way, all I was sayin is you guys pretty much named off every game that has ever had hype. You can cry and give me "negative rep", oh no, you guys forgot, I have better things to worry about than having good rep on a vgchat.

P.S. How do you not like Star Wars and I PLAY VIDEO GAMES I'M NOT MAKING FUN OF GAMERS. I SPEAK OF KIDS LIKE YOU THAT THINK THEY ARE COOL FOR PLAYING 5 MILLION GAMES. Why do you feel like you have to defend yourself, you ashamed of somethin

You're being more of a ***** than anyone else here, and you're saying we're crying? oh lawd. Notice how people can bad-mouth games others clearly like, and yet, no one gets as upset as you? Maturity is great.

Posted by Bebop

Star Wars is overrated

Quoting Orlandu: named off every game that has ever had hype.

That's because hype is never ever really justified. Most of the games we've listed we haven't labelled as bad games - just that the quality of them didn't meet expectations.

Posted by Kit

Quoting Orlandu: Why do you feel like you have to defend yourself, you ashamed of somethin

lol hypocrisy

Quoted post: Everyone *****es about having there own opinion and can't have mine. Dont take offense and cry now little ppl.

Yet you argue over our opinions? lol hypocrisy again.

In my OPINION, the games I listed are quite overrated.

Posted by Linko_16

[QUOTE=Orlandu;524548]Never said I wasnt a nerd, all I'm sayin is u guys cant just like a game, it's gotta be "deep". Didnt mean to hurt ur litle feelings. Everyone *****es about having there own opinion and can't have mine. Dont take offense and cry now little ppl. And yes, I know I have balls, I get of the couch and use them. I've been playing vieo games my whole life, but, I don't cry everytime someone says anything about me. I beleive it's just because most of u are going thru pueberty and have the whole teenage angst thing goin on, but, I forgive u. Honestly, you guys take this forum a liiiiittle too seriously.

You can cry and give me "negative rep", oh no, you guys forgot, I have better things to worry about than having good rep on a vgchat.

P.S. How do you not like Star Wars and I PLAY VIDEO GAMES I'M NOT MAKING FUN OF GAMERS. I SPEAK OF KIDS LIKE YOU THAT THINK THEY ARE COOL FOR PLAYING 5 MILLION GAMES. Why do you feel like you have to defend yourself, you ashamed of somethin

When they were handing out perceptions of reality, Orlandu thought they said "unnatural fatality," and said "none for me, thanks."

[QUOTE=Orlandu;524548]By the way, all I was sayin is you guys pretty much named off every game that has ever had hype.

It wouldn't make any sense to name games that didn't have hype. There are a lot of people here, each naming different games, which is going to add up to one long list. If it was just one guy naming a whole bunch of different games, then you might have something to speak up about.

Pac-Man, Pong, Tetris, Frogger.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Star Wars is cool.[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

Is this thread in lock territory yet?

Halo 3 Beta.

It's a ****ing timed beta and it's already the most over-hyped, "overrated" "game" in existence. If so many people are willing to pay sixty bucks to ensure that they get a spot in the timed beta, you know it's already overrated.

Posted by Bebop

In all honesty we knew Halo 3 was going to be overrated when it was announced.

Of course. But I'm not talking about the actual game, just the beta. I know Halo 3 is going to sell millions upon millions of copies and probably get tens from every man, woman and child alike... but this is a beta. A timed beta. That people are paying sixty bucks for.

I just wouldn't have assumed it would be so overhyped. What was I thinking?

Posted by s0ul

Timed? TIMED LIKE HOW?! :mad: I haven't heard that. :(

Yeah, I can't see any reason that they'd do that. At most, they'll only collect data for a limited time.

But yeah, the game itself is November anyway.

Posted by cool gamer dad

I was under the assumption that a beta disk was going to come with Crackdown that would later be made XBL compatible.

Or something...

Posted by cool gamer dad

test, can't see my post etc.

Crackdown's disc is the beta disc. It'll activate when the beta comes online. Every early copy of crackdown comes with the beta.

There's no way that'll happen. have you any idea how quickly that'll get cracked? It'll be a code in the case that you'll be able to enter into Marketplace when it's available.

Except they've been saying you'll need the physical disc to download the beta. idk