So I've been thinking a lot about this

Posted by Arwon

I'm pretty sure that REM's Automatic For The People is the best album ever.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Nah, not even close. Good try though.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Great album, yes. Greatest...eh.

Ive got a casette tape of it around here somewhere, i need to go listen to it.

Posted by Omni

I like it, but there are albums I think are way better.

Posted by Dexter

lol. No way. It's hard for me to get through the entire CD in one sitting.

The Human Equation is the best CD ever!

Posted by G-Sides

**** you guys, California - Mr. Bungle
best album
k

Quoted post: The Human Equation is the best CD ever!

In my top five anyways.

Posted by Arwon

Well alright, I'll accept votes for the Clash's London Calling since it's the only other serious contender.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Arms: **** you guys, California - Mr. Bungle
best album
k

lol. Do you listen to Animal Collective, too?

"Goodbye Sober Day" is fun. I love when the chanting turns into some RAWK! Head bangin' fun.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Dexter: lol. No way. It's hard for me to get through the entire CD in one sitting.

Ayreon seems like a band I should be fond of, but I can't bring myself to even appreciate them. Most of the songs on The Human Equation just annoy me, but I've listened to a few other songs of theirs, and haven't been able to get into them either. Oh well, nothing can destroy my passion for Dream Theater, even people whoring out their music on vgc.

Posted by G-Sides

Quoting Dexter: lol. Do you listen to Animal Collective, too?

"Goodbye Sober Day" is fun. I love when the chanting turns into some RAWK! Head bangin' fun.

animal collective=

and i didn't know you were a fukken bungle fan, let's have sex.

Quoted post: even people whoring out their music on vgc.

What is it, like, two people now?

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Arms: and i didn't know you were a fukken bungle fan, let's have sex.

I'm not sure if I'm much of a fan. I have been listening to them since before I joined VGC and there are times when I feel like listening to nothing else besides them. "Goodbye Sober Day" is just too great to miss out on.

Yeah, I listen to them and still don't like anything they've made. It's a love hate relationship in my case.

Posted by Omni

I listen to Mr. Bungle, too, because this guy I know at work introduced me to them about a year and a half ago. I like "Squeeze Me Macaroni" the most.

Posted by Hyper

Dexter wins. is THE cheesy? Ohhhhhh yes. Such delicious cheese it is.

Posted by CCorces1

i think i probably listen to diff music than you guys, but i'd have to say the first weezer album is way up on my list for top albums from start to finish

Posted by Dexter

Best emo CD. "Sweater Song" is king of the emo songs.

Posted by Arwon

Don't taint Blue Album with that terrible post-facto label. The genre didn't exist until 8 or ten years after it was released... hell, the word "emo" wasn't even being used as a joke until at least 5 years afterwards.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Arwon: Don't taint Blue Album with that terrible post-facto label. The genre didn't exist until 8 or ten years after it was released... hell, the word "emo" wasn't even being used as a joke until at least 5 years afterwards.

Emo actually started in 1985. The Blue Album came out in '93, right?

Posted by Dexter

I sure felt the emo from the Blue Album. Whether or not it had a name yet matters not!

Posted by Raptor

"Buddy Holly" was one of the first music videos I ever saw on MTV, once the cable company finally upgraded and provided access to the station. This was back when Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" hadn't been overplayed to mind-numbing extremes yet and MTV still showed music videos worth watching.

Posted by Arwon

I don't see how Weezer could possibly be "emo" by any definition that isn't so broad as to be meaningless.

You people do realise there was self-loathing and emotion in music before emo, right?

Posted by Omni

Even I'll say that MTV overplayed a lot of videos to the point where the songs got quite annoying for a while. That's why I don't really listen to Nirvana anymore, and why I didn't listen to Soundgarden, especially Black Hole Sun and Spoonman, for a few years after they were mega popular.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Arwon: You people do realise there was self-loathing and emotion in music before emo, right?

Origins of emo? Someone with no name could be given a name today but that doesn't mean they didn't exist before. Existence doesn't start when it is given a name. It needs to exist before a name is given.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Dexter: Origins of emo? Someone with no name could be given a name today but that doesn't mean they didn't exist before. Existence doesn't start when it is given a name. It needs to exist before a name is given.

That makes perfect sense to me.

Posted by Raptor

Anyway, back on the subject of Automatic for the People...

Just **** me kitten.

You are wild and I'm in your possession.

Nothing's free so, **** me kitten.

I'm in your possession.

So, **** me kitten.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

for some reason, i can't ever enjoy an rem album. i think it's because i hate rem.

animal collective is awesome (huge guilty pleasure). i've been a fan since "here comes the indian". i just got the reissue "hollindagain" in the mail and it's pretty good.

blue album is not emo. it's power pop or something. ah, yes: "awesome when i was in 6th grade and still to this day".

emo started with rites of spring and. . .sunny day real estate and. . .nation of ulysess or whatever. late 80s, early 90s. not fugazi, but close. **** emo.

Posted by Dexter

kk, if you don't notice the clear indications of emoism in "The Sweater Song," then you are missing out on its greatness. Think of the main character. He might not be voicing his frustration and emotional breakdown out loud like usual emos sometimes do, but in his head he is very emotionally upset. It's only a matter of time before he comes undone and shouts out his emotional difficulties towards those around him. The dialogue with the girl asking for a ride to the party and the stoked guy. You can just feel his emoism towards the situations. They are destroying his sweater, he'll soon be naked.

Hear me, know me *emotear*

Posted by Arwon

Country music is totally emo.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Dexter:

:You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dexter again.:

Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory is up there too.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Shade32: Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory is up there too.

not really :(

Posted by Dexter

Scenes from a Memory was probably my favorite until 2004, when The Human Equation came out. I suppose I really like concept albums.

Yeah, gotta love concept albums. That's one of the reasons Blood Mountain is pretty high up there for me.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

This whole thread is so sweatervest and black-rimmed glasses, it can practically be seen crying at a hellogoodbye concert.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

best (or 'tightest'!) concept album: "radio-activity"

I don't think I knew that was a concept album...

Posted by Gollum

Wintersun is the best album ever.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I don't think I knew that was a concept album...

!!!

i dunno, has the definition of "concept album" changed?

I just haven't listened to my Kraftwerk albums in ages *shrugs*