Most Badass Book Evar!!!

Posted by specopssv44

The Gates of Fire, profound to say the least. A great book about Sparta, I suggest it to everyone.

Posted by The Judge

Thank you!

Posted by specopssv44

Quoting The Judge: Thank you!

Seriously man I think youd enjoy it. Good setting, good plot, outstanding character development, epic quotes, and vivid descriptions of battle and the lives of Spartas Warriors.

Posted by Arwon

And here I thought it was going to be the Bible...

Posted by specopssv44

Quoting Arwon: And here I thought it was going to be the Bible...

Thats because you dont really know me. Our friend Judge on the other hand knows me quite well...

Theyre making a movie based of this story, the preview looks good so hopefully itll turn out ok. Itd be a shame if any movie based off this story was anything short of epic...

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T2oNi7eaYk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T2oNi7eaYk[/URL]
Theres the prieview...

Posted by Arwon

Nah it was nothing to do with you, I didn't even see who psoted it at first... I just got this mental image of a version of the Bible labelled THE MOST BADASS STORY EVER TOLD.

Posted by specopssv44

Ah, I see...

Posted by Arwon

And they could make it into a movie with Charlton Heston and someone could go WHERE'S YOUR *** NOW? and he could beat them up.

Posted by specopssv44

charlton heston was a badass, also a former Marine haha

Posted by Omni

Clint Eastwood is the most badass actor of all time, in my opinion. He swam 3 miles to shore when his plane crashed during some war or another.

Posted by Arwon

Please, clearly it's Christopher Walken.

Posted by specopssv44

Nope, I cast my vote with Clint Eastwood. Clearly the king of kings in terms of most badass.... Seriously go watch The Good the Bad and The Ugly, or For a Fistfull of Dollars, or High Plains Drifter and try and tell me otherwise

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I read it a few months ago. Great book. Wish it was more historically accurate though (in regards to Spartan society)

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

they were going to make a Gates of Fire movie, but when they heard of "300" coming out, they axed the idea.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: I read it a few months ago. Great book. Wish it was more historically accurate though (in regards to Spartan society)

I did a small amount of research (finding myself filled with curiosity for these men of Sparta after reading the book), limited as my resources are I find it to be fairly close, closer certainly than many other books and movies I have read which are baised off of historical events.

Posted by The Judge

Bill Murray.

Posted by KoH

I owe you a big one, Spec. You finally found me a book that I could very well get in to. Thanks, I'll let you know how it I find it (probably pretty **** good as you, and others, describe it)

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Most badass? Incorrect. The best, and most badass, book happens to be "The Berkut." Russians tailing an SS colonel who faked Hitler's suicide and carried him off to safety to later rebuild the Reich. So **** good.

Posted by specopssv44

That sounds pretty badass, but I honestly doubt it can touch Gates of Fire. At least for me anyway... I found a startling number of similiarities between the Spartans and my fellow Marines, like the way they manage to find some kind of bizzare or ironic humor even in the worst of situations.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

they completely ignore the peaderasstic (sp?) concept, the outnumbering of the helots in comparison to the Spartans and how the spartans were constantly worried about them revolting, the fact that Spartan women really didn't hold. . . hardly any clout in society, and I'm pretty sure there was no assassination attempt on the Persion King. The first two were pretty huge parts of Spartan life.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I mean, the boy-love idea between Spartan men and their "proteges" was a BIG part of Spartan society. The mentorship ideas came from it, and they passed it on/continued it. When Spartan men married, their wives were forced to cut their hair to a boyish length, and had to be pretty much sexually assaulted and taken from behind, and it was only really done for reproductive purposes. They engagend in active homosexual lifestyles to encourage a stronger sense of comradery. It wasn't mentioned once in Gates of Fire, intentionally, I'm sure, as to make it more appealing to a Western audience.

Posted by specopssv44

I think the book touched on the helots at least a little bit, it mentioned the kryptia, and how they "ruthlessly controlled the helots". I also found in my research, that Spartan women were considered to be more educated than most other city states because the Spartans believed that Smart women made smart babies haha

Posted by Shade

Genetics ftw.

I'm gonna look into this book, seems interesting.

Posted by higbvuyb

I thought your favourite book would be Starship Troopers or something, you being a Marine and all.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoting higbvuyb: I thought your favourite book would be Starship Troopers or something, you being a Marine and all.

well, starship troopers WAS pretty good. But I like Gates of FIre a little more... Its actually on The Commandants Reading List (A list of books that the highest ranking Marine In the Corps thinks all Marines should read).

I read a few good books while I was trapped in the Belly of the USS Juneua, including the entire Bourne Identity Series, which I found to be infinatly better than the movies (the movies are still good dont get me wrong, but the books were outstanding.)