Negima

Posted by Dexter

Like Love Hina, it's fairly cute, often funny, and sometimes really lame. I've watched it all the way through volume 4 so far and am simply waiting for volume 5 and 6 to be released. It's about a boy prodigy, Negi, age 9, who becomes a teacher at an all-girls school. He is also a secret wizard! As a character, he was mostly annoying. I sometimes felt compelled to smack him across the face. His pince-nez glasses and pre-puberty voice was often too much, but I suppose they had to make him as such to fit the role properly.

All the wizard vs. vampire parts of the show are totally lame and uninteresting. The best part about them are the shouts of incantations, but for the most part, I just wanted the show to get to the school drama, which was often hilarious and was the dominant element of the show.

Best episode so far was #11, "When They Are Silent, They are Shouting" where Hasegawa Chisame's secret life on the Internet was revealed. She battled with other web sites by cosplaying to get the most traffic/hits and the more cleavage she showed, the better the traffic would get. I was loling pretty hard at that situation. Or when they were being chased by the robot and tried to escape using the elevator but found that they exceeded the maximum weight limit and the girls thought if they took off their clothes it would help and in order for them survive they had to keep taking off more and more of their clothes. Or when they thought that being a great mom meant having big breast so they held a boob size competition to see who was best qualified to take care of the kid. I suppose that's the sort of funnies that are in this anime. Oh, there's also been an awesome pillow fight tournament done in a Battle Royale-style! Bodies on the ground, surrounded by their pillow-weapons. I got a few giggles out of that, too.

There's also the token pervert/pedophile. Like Fool in Kaleido Star or Shigure Sohma from Fruits Basket, Negami has Albert Chamomile! YAY! ^_^ He's not quite as funny as Fool or Shigure Sohma, but he's an anthropomorphic ermine with an ardent fetish for panties! How cool is that? Oh, and the odd thing about this show is that more girls are pedophiles than boys! This is a revolutionary show that breaks stereotypes and brings anime to new heights!

http://homepage.mac.com/sp831/lovehina/negimachar.html

So has anyone seen this yet?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: It's about a boy prodigy, Negi, age 9, who becomes a teacher at an all-girls school. He is also a secret wizard!

oh animu, will you ever fail me?

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, I was a bit worried with the plot myself when I first started looking into it. I try to stray away from the magic, incantation-filled anime and tend to focus my attention on the more dramatic, emotionally charged material. But Love Hina had some goofy drama in it and fun situations and I heard that this was a lot like it, so I checked it out and found that it was. There really are some enjoyable situations they get themselves into. You should watch this anime, Vampy!

Posted by Arczu

[Font=Times New Roman]Been hearing about this one but are you talking about this first series or the new one? I haven't seen the new one yet because... well I don't know if it's a sequel or a remake or something.

"Scenario Switching" keeps popping into my head when this shows with the type of setting appears.
[/font]

Posted by Unite

is this the first negima series or you talking about 2006 version?

Posted by Sean Fury

My friend Brandi is utterly obsessed with Negima and she likes to take pride in the fact that she looks somewhat like Asakura (totally hot though). I never watched Negima, but she had me watch part of like episode 17 or something so I could watch her favorite part with Asakura or something like that. It seemed like a cool show though.

Posted by Dexter

I'm talking about the 2005 version. Is the 2006 version like a second season or something? I heard a little about it but it's not out yet or anything so idk. Is it like a direct continuation like the second season of Kaleido Star was or is it entirely different? I actually heard the second season was incredibly sucky. I'd check it out for curiosity's sake.

Quoted post: and she likes to take pride in the fact that she looks somewhat like Asakura (totally hot though).

Kazumi Asakura is rad and she has the fourth largest breasts in class! She reminds me of Xenos, always reporting the VGC news to me. The entire Mahora Paparazzi is a fun group. I'd chill with them. Is Brandi into photography and news? SHOW HER THIS THREAD!

Quoted post: she had me watch part of like episode 17 or something so I could watch her favorite part with Asakura or something like that

Do you recall what happened in that part? I'm awfully curious. You should have a pajama party with her and watch the entire series!

Posted by Shade

I eat up anything that Ken Akamatsu puts out, and I loved it. The huge cast of girls provided for some interesting happenings. :D I was a little disappointed with the ending though. =\

The fights were kinda lame... but I did like the very last one, where all the girls got into the action. It was pretty cool.

Oh, Dex, the new series sounds like a spin-off.

http://animenewsnetwork.com/news/2006-03-02/two-new-negima-anime

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, any fights with wizards or vampires or robots are lame, but all the girly fights are lots of fun and if they were to go against the vampires or robots it would be fun. They'd all be able to use their special, unique skills and shouts of incantations. I lol so hard when they were having that volleyball match against the high school girls and they were shouting out their incantations. Incantations are hilarious.

What were some of your favorite episodes, characters, situations, etc?

Posted by Shade

My favorite episode was definately the one where they had a game in an old haunted house to see which team could find Negi and kiss him first. So hilarious. :)

I like Ayaka, the reporter (can't remember name), Asuna, and the robot (again, can't remember name). But overall, I liked the whole ensemble of them. They're all so diverse and yet, they blend in together perfectly.

And this situation was in the manga, don't remember if it happened in the anime, but when Chamo-kun made his first appearance he was taking off all their bathing suits in the bath/pool area and they thought Negi was doing it. :)

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Dexter: Kazumi Asakura is rad and she has the fourth largest breasts in class! She reminds me of Xenos, always reporting the VGC news to me. The entire Mahora Paparazzi is a fun group. I'd chill with them. Is Brandi into photography and news? SHOW HER THIS THREAD!

Do you recall what happened in that part? I'm awfully curious. You should have a pajama party with her and watch the entire series!

Yeah, Brandi loves taking pictures of EVERYTHING EVER. I'm not sure, all I remember was making her stop the episode so I could see the first one because I didn't want to ruin anything. We were actually planning on watching the whole thing one day too, but we haven't talked to each other in awhile.

Posted by Shade

I YouTube'd the first 5 or so episodes today. Forgot how funny it is.

Posted by Unite

2006 version is a remake of the series

the art is different and story is a bit diff

appartly there was alot of hate for the first series , so it was remade.

Posted by Shade

Have the 2006 episodes been YouTube'd yet?

Posted by Unite

Quoting Shade32: Have the 2006 episodes been YouTube'd yet?

no idea i download all my anime

Posted by Shade

Downloading takes up too much space on my 19 GB hard drive, and it takes really ****ing long. Youtube ftw.

Posted by Sean Fury

Yeah, Shade, the newer version is on Youtube. I believe the opening is different and that's how you can tell them apart.

Posted by Arczu

19gig HD? TIME FOR AN UPGRADE!

Well whatever, if you want quality, you can invest in a second bigger hardrive for relatively cheap these days.

But getting to the point, I hadn't even seen all of the original series, I was near the end, and then episodes suddenly dissapeared... and then I couldn't find it anymore (WHICH SUCKS BY THE WAY!). The series is indeed interesting.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Shade32: My favorite episode was definately the one where they had a game in an old haunted house to see which team could find Negi and kiss him first. So hilarious. :)

Definitely a great episode. I had some good laughs on that one, too. The Battle Royale-styled pillow fight will be something I remember about this series years from now.

Quoted post: I like Ayaka, the reporter (can't remember name), Asuna, and the robot (again, can't remember name). But overall, I liked the whole ensemble of them. They're all so diverse and yet, they blend in together perfectly.

Yeah, part of what I've been loving about all these anime series lately is the strong characters that I can expect to meet. They are often so much fun and have exaggerated emotions and personalities. Certainly entertaining.

And I by far prefer watching anime on DVD. The extras are fun.

Posted by Unite

My naruto folder from episode 97-213 is 19 gigs lol

Posted by Shade

Haha I watch all my episodes on YouTube without taking up memory. :)

Yeah, I like the extras on the DVD's too, but I don't have too much money so I stick to the internets. :\

Posted by Dexter

I use Netflix, so it works out really well for us. Also, I have a large group who watches these with me and it's just easier watching it on a DVD/television instead of using the computer's devices. I used to download when it was just myself and I'd occasionally come across some bugs with the downloads or something that got it in the way of smooth progress and then have to re-download the material. It's just easier this way. At least for us.

Posted by Dexter

Magic 501 (volume 5) came out a few weeks ago and we watched it last night. The first episode, "Words Fly Away, Those Written Remain," explored Aisaka Sayo, who was always the mysterious one to me. I was so curious about her and delighted to finally see what she was like. She was into nature and birds and kept quiet but talked in her mind (narration) a bunch. Definitely one of the better girls in class. I didn't realize the reason the students never acknowledged her until this episode. Suddenly it has become clear, The episode ended up being my favorite thus far and reminded me of Trace Memory for the Nintendo DS.