Nirvana

Posted by Omni

I think they helped bring alternative music into the mainstream, so I'll say their influential, if overrated. They're not the greatest band ever, but they were an important part of the music scene in the 90's.

Posted by Sean Fury

They aren't the greatest band ever, and I strongly agree with that, because I very much dislike people parading around in their Nirvana t-shirts claiming they are. I mean, I love Nirvana, but there is a limit. Influential, yes. Awesome, yes. Greatest band ever, no.

Nevermind was an awesome album though, Bleach too, but not so much.

Posted by Dexter

I like Incesticide. "Hairspray Queen" owns.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Thank *** whatshisface killed himself so grunge could die with him.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Thank *** whatshisface killed himself so grunge could die with him.

What do you mean die? Nirvana is the only real "grunge" band I ever heard in my life. Speaking of which, what the Hell kind of word is grunge anyway? It just makes me think of those dirty punk rocker kids in my school that love Nirvana.

Quoted post: It just makes me think of those dirty punk rocker kids in my school that love Nirvana.

That's exactly what it is. Grunge took a lot of inspiration from punk rock, by using it's dirty sound, distortion and feedback as part of its stylings.

And there was a handful of grunge bands back when it was popular. Some still linger today, but no one cares about them.

Posted by Last Fog

Pearl Jam?

No one cares about Pearl Jam anymore.

Posted by Omni

Yeah, Pearl Jam is a relic. Mudhoney (LOL...Touch Me I'm Sick!) is still around, too... Haven't heard of them in years and years. Some of the members of both bands were also in Green River, which is, arguably, the first grunge rock band. I like Soundgarden and Alice In Chains, though, a lot.

Posted by Raptor

I remember attending a Pearl Jam concert in 2000, during my first three days in Phoenix, Arizona. It was storming that night, and we could watch the lightning in the sky above the stage. That was pretty much the most memorable thing about it.

Posted by Killer Jordo

I think that now Nirvana is becoming over-rated. I mean if you look at it, people don't lsiten to their music. They jsut buy their merchandise. I mean, if I ever made it big, I wouldn't care about merch as much as the music. And I think that's what is happening with alot of odler bands that helped to bring their genre into the mainstream, or if they helped to fix up their genre. Which is sad too see. I had my phone on speakers playing "Smells like teen spirit" and a guy wearing a Smells like teen spirit shirt asked me what song that was. I was like look at your shirt smart guy.

Anyway, Nirvana is a good band, I respect what they did, and what they did to do it.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Killer Jordo: How the **** do you smell teen spirit? You see it dumb ***.

Sorry, I found that totally relevant to this thread. Anyways, I'm tired of people acting like Kurt freakin' Cobain is God or even close to it. I respect the hell out of his songwriting and originality, but we don't need to make a martyr out of him, because he himself said he hated that ****. If people like him, they can at least respect that he wanted it that way.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Exactly.

Quoted post: They jsut buy their merchandise. I mean, if I ever made it big, I wouldn't care about merch as much as the music.

You will when you realise that's what allows you to continue to play. Gigs cost money.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: You will when you realise that's what allows you to continue to play. Gigs cost money.

Yeah, but all us non-conformists have to buy all the Hot Topic t-shirts of our favorite bands that we don't listen to because it's the cool thing to do.[spoiler]/obvious sarcasm[/spoiler]

Yeah, what Vampiro said. Even if you're playing music just because that's what you want to do, you have fun doing that and you aren't in it just to make money, you're going to need money a lot.

Posted by Vasioth

Nirvana is an ok band. They have a lot of great stuff, but the little wanna-be's that go "There the best band ever" and rampage around the streets blasting there music full blast in the streets aren't...

There Influential, that is for sure though and they were the heart of Grunge Music in all reality.

Posted by Arcadios

Meh, I've probably never listened to one of their songs.
Ever

Posted by Raptor

Liar.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Arcadios: Meh, I've probably never listened to one of their songs.
Ever
You definitely did, you just didn't realize it. Or you don't want to admit it.

Yeah, everyone has heard at least two songs.

Posted by Crazy K

I can honestly say Nirvana was extremely over-rated and still is to this day. I of course don't mind their music, I just can't listen to it for a long time.