Dragon Warrior IX...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

...is a DS exclusive.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=12543

I wonder if the DS will sell more units than the psp in Japan. *Snicker*

Posted by Shade

Awesome news. I would've been screwed if it came out for the PS3 or the Wii. I like playing RPG's more on handhelds too, actually.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's 4 player, an action RPG and Wifi. Awesome.

Posted by Zeta

Haha, I was browsing the PS3 board at GameFAQs yesterday out of boredom, and there was some topic about a new DQ game being announced. Tons of people were like "ZOMFG DQ9 ON TEH PS3 **** YES!" Gotta go check the boards and see the dissapointment. :)

Posted by Malevolence

Maybe the topic name should be re-edited, Or am I not seeing something?

Posted by Shade

...are you mentally retarded?

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting Shade32: ...are you mentally retarded?

No, I just missed something.

Posted by Zeta

Missed what exactly? Why this is a big deal? Dragon Warrior is FUCKING HUGE in Japan. Even more popular than Final Fantasy. Whichever console has the main DQ games is guaranteed to win this generation. DS getting DQ9 is the last nail on the PSP's coffin.

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting Zeta: Missed what exactly? Why this is a big deal? Dragon Warrior is FUCKING HUGE in Japan. Even more popular than Final Fantasy. Whichever console has the main DQ games is guaranteed to win this generation. DS getting DQ9 is the last nail on the PSP's coffin.

It has nothing to do with the series at all quite frankly. I don't know much about DQ at all, so when I saw the title, I thought it was mistakenly named for another game. Since I know nothing of the franchise, you can obviously tell I didn't know that it was also called Dragon warrior, since at first I thought it would be more conveniently named Dragon Quest IX. My mistake. :D

Just a dumb mistake. Had to be honest... :(

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Oh, I have no doubt that Squenix will put "Dragon Quest IX" on the box, Malevolence. I just refuse to call the series by that name until there are more titles in the series available in America under that name than there are Dragon Warrior games, which was the original, and superior in my opinion, name for the Western world.

Posted by Dexter

Wait, the Wii is still getting a Dragon Warrior game too, right?

I've only gone through the first four Dragon Warrior games for the NES, but they were easily the best RPGs on the NES (Destiny of an Empire was decent, too) and I'm looking forward to any future installments.

Posted by Slade

This is the best news I've heard all day. In my opinion, DQ is more enjoyable on a handheld. I can't wait.

And yes, Dex, the DQ game for Wii is really far along in development, so I'm sure it's still on its way.

Holy hell, look at these screens:
http://the-magicbox.com/0612/game061212a.shtml

Multiplayer vid(short:():
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lMOMaUDlZ5Y

Posted by Dexter

I'd be looking forward to the Wii version more, probably because I do prefer them on consoles over pawhelds. This is still exciting and I'll definitely be getting it.

Posted by GameMiestro

Gotta love that DBZ style animation.

Posted by Shade

After seeing those screens... I really want this game. Is the late '07 release date for Japan or NA?

Posted by Slade

Quoting GameMiestro: Gotta love that DBZ style animation.

I don't love it. :(

But for DQ, I can live with it.

Posted by Bebop

I hope it used the 2nd screen more than FF3 did. My right nut used the 2nd screen more than that remake.

Posted by Slade

Has an RPG on the DS used the touch screen for items and equipment management yet? Years ago, when I first heard about a touch screen on the DS, that was the first thing that popped into my mind.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I think people are underestimating the power of this announcement. A true sequel, rather than a spin-off or devoted handheld game, to an extremely popular franchise that has been traditionally played on home consoles, is moving to a handheld device.

To my knowledge, this has only happened once before.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Wings]I think people are underestimating the power of this announcement. A true sequel, rather than a spin-off or devoted handheld game, to an extremely popular franchise that has been traditionally played on home consoles, is moving to a handheld device.

To my knowledge, this has only happened once before.

Mario, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Metroid, Metal Gear Solid, etc...

Posted by Shade

Point out the "true sequel" for Final Fantasy, please.

And Metal Gear Solid.

MGS I'll give you, and Metroid was the one I'm thinking of. But I think you missed the point of my post.

This is the next game in the series. It's much more of a solid continuation than any of the ones you listed.

Posted by Slade

Eh, I'd say that each DQ game is just as detached from its predecessors as every Zelda game. They both carry over some of the same enemies, items, and the general atmosphere is the same, but they aren't really played out in a timeline like Metal Gear Solid.

But I'm pretty excited about DQ IX anyways. I'd love to get my RPG on in graphics that good(with a good chance of excellent gameplay) on my DS.

Posted by Fate

I love DQ, but I hate handhelds. This is an installment I choose to miss out on.

Posted by Shade

How can you hate handhelds?

Posted by Dexter

She's a girl. A decent looking one, too! We're lucky she likes games at all!

But no, seriously Fate, what about the hawt slimes? :(

Posted by Fate

I have a hard enough time getting myself to play Portable Ops from my favorite game series Metal Gear, let alone another in my top ten. I don't have enough patience with small screens and such. I'm also a big-screen high-def surround-sound type of person, so it all adds up.

Posted by Slade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSMXml4jhb8

Finally, an RPG that uses the touch-screen exactly how I want it to!

Posted by Shade

Quoting Fate: I have a hard enough time getting myself to play Portable Ops from my favorite game series Metal Gear, let alone another in my top ten. I don't have enough patience with small screens and such. I'm also a big-screen high-def surround-sound type of person, so it all adds up.

Let me ask you this.

Do you own a Gameboy Player?

Posted by Fate

Yes. Doesn't work for DS though! :cookie:

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate][COLOR=skyblue]I don't have enough patience with small screens and such. I'm also a big-screen high-def surround-sound type of person, so it all adds up.[/COLOR]

PS2 was your favourite system last gen, gimme a break. Don't see why small screens would require extra patience either.

Posted by Fate

You know "patience" isn't restricted to time, right? :)

Posted by Speedfreak

Well it sorta is, but I knew you were using it as another word for "tolerence" anyway. I still don't get what there is to tolerate. I find playing portables much more comfortable than consoles, you can curl up in any part of the house.

Posted by Shade

I'm not understanding your crack at the PS2 being her favorite last-gen system. :confused:

Posted by Slade

Something about the PS2 taking more patience than something else. :confused:

Posted by Speedfreak

She's into hi def and surround sound, yet her favourite last-gen system had the worst graphics and crappy surround sound.

Posted by Shade

Those two variables are dependant on the game.

AND HEY IT STILL MANAGED TO OUTSELL THE XBOX AND GAMECUBE LOL

Posted by Fate

It is dependent on the game. I believe RE4 for the GC had surround, so I don't get the crack either. :/

I can't stand small screens. END OF. I don't even play the PSP, for christ's sake. This fanboy war you want to start isn't going to go anywhere. It is a matter of preference. Stop being a douche for no reason.

Posted by Zeta

... So you're missing out on tons of great games just because the screen is too small? Jesus...

Posted by Fate

Yeah, I'll pass. That's the way I do. :cookie:

Posted by Slade

Someday you'll be stuck out in the wilderness with no one around to help, but somehow you'll have endless supplies of food and plenty of shelter. Anyways, you'll be really bored and the only thing around will be a Gameboy Micro and you'll wish you weren't so picky. :o

Quoted post: I can't stand small screens. END OF. I don't even play the PSP, for christ's sake. This fanboy war you want to start isn't going to go anywhere. It is a matter of preference. Stop being a douche for no reason.

I like this paragraph.

So who else is psyched about how you get to use the stylus to put equipment on your party?? It's about time, amirite?

Posted by Dexter

I actually have trouble with handhelds, too. I have my DS, but I don't look forward to much coming out for it even if it's a game I would usually get excited for and don't enjoy playing games as much on it as I would playing them on the Wii. I prefer games on home console, by far.

Posted by Shade

It was hella convinient in Harvest Moon.

(which btw was a disappointment :()

EDIT: daaaaaaaaamn, ninja'd by Dexy

Posted by Zeta

You were ninja'd by an hour and ten minutes. NEW RECORD GET!

And hey, funnily enough, I prefer handhelds. :cookie:

Posted by Shade

Dex can use time zones to his advantage.

Posted by Speedfreak

...right. I was just asking what's so bad about small screens, because I personally can see their advantages. You said you're more of a hi-def/surround sound kind of gamer yet your favourite last gen system wasn't exactly known for it's technical proficiency. I'm just pointing out the inconsistency and asking about it.

Posted by Fate

I don't know, the games I played looked pretty good and had surround sound, so I still don't know what you're getting at. Technically proficient or not, I prefer home consoles to handhelds. You bringing up the fact that the PS2 was my favorite last-gen console really had nothing to do with anything. My Xbox and GameCube got a lot of loving too, and the speakers the systems were connected to sure worked out well. :)

I can see the advantages to small screens. I just can't stand them. wtf is so hard to understand

Posted by Ant

Have you considered seeing a psychologist about this?

Posted by Fate

I'm not too concerned with size. I don't have to have widescreen.

It just can't be small.
:*

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate][COLOR=skyblue]I can see the advantages to small screens. I just can't stand them. wtf is so hard to understand[/COLOR]

I'm asking what there is about them to stand. It's not a complicated question.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I personally prefer two smaller screens to one larger screen like the PSP. (comparing handhelds to consoles is lame lewl)

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Speedfreak: I'm asking what there is about them to stand. It's not a complicated question.

It's just a personal thing, she is simply saying she doesn't care much for smaller screens, it's not that hard of a thing to get, at all.

It's not about the size but how you use it!!

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's not about the size but how you use it!!

If somebody didn't make this joke soon, I'd have had to do it. Took you long enough.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's not about the size but how you use it!!

Some women just gotta have it large

Posted by Shade

Kudos to Boss.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=boomstick]It's just a personal thing, she is simply saying she doesn't care much for smaller screens, it's not that hard of a thing to get, at all.
I've never not liked something for no reason, but seeing as she's a woman and women often change their mind for no Godd[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn reason I'm willing to accept she's insane in a socially acceptable way. I can't be arsed to make my question any clearer, anyway.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Speedfreak: I've never not liked something for no reason, but seeing as she's a woman and women often change their mind for no Godd[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn reason I'm willing to accept she's insane in a socially acceptable way. I can't be arsed to make my question any clearer, anyway.

Ok, I guess you didn't get it, it's called personal taste, if you don't understand that, then I give up.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Speedfreak]I've never not liked something for no reason, but seeing as she's a woman and women often change their mind for no G[COLOR=lightgreen]o[/COLOR]dd[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn reason I'm willing to accept she's insane in a socially acceptable way. I can't be arsed to make my question any clearer, anyway.

Posted by boomstick

Look, Speedfreak, it's an easy thing to understand, it's like liking Vanilla flavor over chocolate flavor, it's just your taste, Fate was just saying she likes playing games on a bigger screen over a smaller screen.

How the hell is that hard to understand, it's just a personal preference.

Quoted post: Some women just gotta have it large

And they're whores.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Speedfreak: I've never not liked something for no reason, but seeing as she's a woman and women often change their mind for no Godd[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn reason I'm willing to accept she's insane in a socially acceptable way. I can't be arsed to make my question any clearer, anyway.

BECAUSE THEY'RE TOO SMALL FOR HER TASTES.

Got it? Good. Now quit being retarded.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's not really a case of "I prefer this over that", but "I simply cannot tolerate this" "why not?" "dunno lol". There's a pretty major difference. I don't think screen size preference is equatable to your taste in ice-cream either.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Speedfreak: It's not really a case of "I prefer this over that", but "I simply cannot tolerate this" "why not?" "dunno lol". There's a pretty major difference. I don't think screen size preference is equatable to your taste in ice-cream either.

The ice-cream thing was just a simple comparison thing, fairly easy to see how it relates

Quoting Fate: Technically proficient or not, I prefer home consoles to handhelds.

Quoting Fate: I'm not too concerned with size. I don't have to have widescreen.

It just can't be small.
:*

It's not a case of preference, eh, well I believe these posts from Fate herself proves otherwise.

She may say she hates them or can't stand them, but I'm sure that's just the way she talks about stuff, just another way of saying she just doesn't like playing games on smaller screens.

It's an extremely obvious and easy thing to see

Posted by Fate

If I must further explain this, as if other people don't already see it, I don't like small screens because the immersion is lost to me. Even when I watch a movie it sucks to see it on a small screen. Widescreens are better than small ones, and since all my gaming and television-watching is done on a rather large screen, I've switched. It completely sucks now to play on a small screen because I've become used to the immersion ability of the larger television sets. And, like I've said before, it doesn't have to be widescreen. It just can't be a small set. Televisions these days aren't huge and letterbox like they were ten years ago, so now the big screens sold are wide.

I don't play games just to play. Gaming is what I do and it's done my way, the way I prefer. Is that the reason you were looking for? I've had it from the beginning. Like that really needed to be explained.

See now to me, that's balls. It's one of the reasons that, for years, all of my gaming was done on a 12" portable. I only upgraded to a 17" when I needed 60Hz capability for certain games. And even now, with a 360, I fail to see the attraction of a 100" HD flatscreen. Or rather, I do, but not for the exorbitant prices.

Because for me, after the first few minutes of playing the game, I'm not really paying attention to anything outside of the screen. The small screen can immerse me just the same way as IMAX can (another innovation that I've never been totally sure actually adds to immersion further than a few minutes in).

Posted by Shade

I don't understand why people think the IMAX is so special either.

When I plop myself down in front of a large HD screen, I totally see what Fate is saying. But, immersion is only important when, you know, the games look good enough to be immersed in. Dragon Warrior has always looked like balls, so the screen size or quality doesn't matter at all. If the game is meant for a smaller screen, that's where I want to play it.

Posted by Speedfreak

How immersed do you need to be in a game of Tetris? Not all games try to be like Zelda or MGS, you'd quickly find that the majority of DS games aren't remotely like that. You'll find that that's why PSPs software sales are so pathetic compared to DS, because Sony didn't grasp that you simply cannot recreate that kind of experience on a handheld. And vice versa, personally I think RPGs are made for handhelds and are just wrong on a home system.

Very. I need to feel like I'm there amongst the blocks, wading through coloured squares and constant shifting. Glorious day.

Hey Speedy, want a shovel?

Posted by Speedfreak

To smash some faces in? Please.

To dig yourself a deeper hole and expound further unnecessarily.

Posted by Fate

I don't play 2D games unless they're in Xbox Live Arcade because of the Achievements. I used to get the hankering to play Harvest Moon 2, but I have that on ConsoleClassix.com and can play on the larger screen of our PC. Since I bought one of those "wonderful or something life" games for the GC a little while ago, I have no intentions of returning to 2D (without Achievements) unless they're in an Animal Crossing game.

So yeah, immersion. I don't play 2D games. Not on small screens, anyways.
:)

Wow, you really like Achievements, huh.

Have you grabbed Heavy Weapon yet? It's basically a Geometry Wars side-scroller, but I enjoy it much much more.

Posted by Fate

Achievements are the deciding factor of any multiplatform game I purchase-- unless I respect the designer's wishes for his/her own game to be played on the system and control it was meant for.

And I hardly play the Arcade since I haven't bought any games. Carlos buys the games so I don't really bother. We have Doom, Geometry Wars, Smash TV, Street Fighter [II?], and I don't know what else.

Then how come I have more achievements than you? Oh right, you're a girl. You suck at games.

Though achievements: greatest gaming achievement of the 21st century.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]I don't play 2D games unless they're in Xbox Live Arcade because of the Achievements.

So yeah, I just totally lost any and all respect I ever had for Fate. I will now proceed to take the childish route and call you a graphics/achievement whore.

Posted by Fate

2D is outdated and you never had respect for me anyways. You lose for destroying something that never existed.

I play epic-type games and 3D games on fantastic media. I don't do Tetris unless it's the only thing I have.

Posted by Shade

No, he WINS for being able to destroy the non-existant.

2D Castlevania, Metroid > 3D Castlevania, Metroid

Yeah, wtf Fate. Smash Bros would be just as awesome if it was sprite-based, for example.

Also, what if I destroyed ***?

Posted by Fate

That's the difference between me and other folks. When I make an upgrade, I don't go back unless it's worth it. Sprite-based stuff would steer me away completely.

Posted by Zeta

So you'll only play something as long as it's the prettiest looking thing around? How shallow...

And polygons aren't an "upgrade" to sprites. They're both completely different visual styles. See: Paintings and sculptures.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Fate: That's the difference between me and other folks. When I make an upgrade, I don't go back unless it's worth it. Sprite-based stuff would steer me away completely.

Hey it really is true, once you black, you never go back!

So... it's all about graphics and super high tech **** huh? I always that games were about, you know... gameplay.

Yeah, 3D is only an upgrade in one sense of the word.

I'm a graphics whore, but oh wow. Fate puts me to shame. I applaud you, ma'am.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;522382][COLOR=skyblue]2D is outdated[/COLOR]

Totally. Anime SUCKS, Pixar rule animation now.

Posted by Fate

Now you guys are being stupid. I never said anything about being a graphics whore. I value gameplay, I would just value it more when it comes to 3D play. 3D is an upgrade to 2D in games, you *******s. I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm saying it's what I like.

Posted by Poco

fate and speedfreak troll thread to oblivion news at 11.

and more on topic, DQ 9 will be fun and awesome.