IGN's Top 25 Franchises of All Time

Posted by Big Boss

http://wii.ign.com/articles/749/749068p1.html

The list should please most people, even if the order may upset a few. I thought #2 would get #1, but I knew #1 would be #1 if #2 wasn't #1. Uh... you'll see.

Posted by Zeta

Whaaat!? Metroid only got 8th!? *Uncontrollable tantrum*

I'm suprised Castlevania beat Metroid, considering Metroid was responsible for the hueg change Castlevania made last decade... O_o

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, same here. Also Madden and Tom Clancy being so high on the list.

Though MGS should be where FF is and FF where MGS is.

Posted by Ant

I agree with it overall. Kinda surprised where Sonic placed on the list though. He's still a big player overall, despite the newer games not being as well liked as others.

You mean being complete ****. The new Sonic might be the worst one ever made. That's saying a lot.

Posted by Zeta

Wai- Which one? Secret Rings or the 360/PS3 one?

360/PS3

Posted by Shade

I thought Final Fantasy would hold the top spot.

and wtf, how did star wars beat Pokemon? no sense.

Posted by GameMiestro

Halo isn't even on the list. What's up with that?

Posted by Shade

It's more of a franchise than Chrono!

Posted by GameMiestro

There's a lot of odd choices on this list. Tom Clancy? Virtua Fighter? Dungeons and Dragons? Civilization? Who actually plays these games?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=GameMiestro]Halo isn't even on the list. What's up with that?

Halo might be the best thing on Xbox, but it doesn't hold a candle to most franchises. It simply isn't all that.

Mario really deserves #1.

Quoted post: There's a lot of odd choices on this list. Tom Clancy? Virtua Fighter? Dungeons and Dragons? Civilization? Who actually plays these games?

Tom Clancy is one of the biggest franchises right now, Virtua Fighter is seen as the best fighting series, Dungeons and Dragons games are always a big hit, and Civilization constantly wins awards every time a new one comes out.

All of those franchises are big and played by a ton of people.

Posted by Shade

Pokemon should've gotten higher than 17, though. That's like... yeah.

Posted by Axis

Civilization IV is my favorite PC game, good to see it on the list.

Posted by Arcadios

I am truly happy.
Mario will always be number one.
:)

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Shade32: Pokemon should've gotten higher than 17, though. That's like... yeah.

Word.

Franchise wise pokemon should of trumped most of those guys. Hell game wise pokemon beats Civilization by a country mile.

Also I cant belive Chrono Trigger made it on just because it was a great game.

Posted by Arczu

I'm a bit shocked at Tetris' position but can't be helped. You either knew about or didn't somewhat.

Mario taking the #1 position, nearly a given. I do somewhat agree with the list in general though, and that's good.

Posted by Last Fog

Where's DOA? Maybe it should take the place of Tetris.... wait, Tetris? WTF? If thats a franchise so is pacman, and if pacman was a franchise, it would make the list.

Screw pokemon. It only has a very small fanbase anymore and its the same **** it was nearly a decade ago.

Posted by Echo

I agree with basically all of it (save a few minor changes with numbering). My only beef is that Chrono should not be on there. Chrono Trigger should be on any list of greatest games of all time, but not greatest franchises.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Last Fog: Screw pokemon. It only has a very small fanbase anymore and its the same **** it was nearly a decade ago.

It still caused that HUGE craze back in the 90s. How many other games have done that? Yeah, I thought so.

Spoilers: Pokemon is still pretty **** big.

Posted by Last Fog

Only like every other franchise on the list. Difference is they're still popular.

Posted by Echo

Yeah, Pokemon is still extremely popular. Diamond and Pearl will be released soon, and Mystery Dungeon was just released. Pokemon is probably going stronger than Castlevania nowadays, if not as good of a franchise.

Quoted post: Only like every other franchise on the list. Difference is they're still popular.

Quoted post: Spoilers: Pokemon is still pretty **** big.

huh?

Pokemon games still sell millions.

Posted by segashadow128gcn

Quoting Shade32: Pokemon should've gotten higher than 17, though. That's like... yeah.

totally. i understand for a lot of people and things that putting it 17 is fine. but personally i would have that in my top 5.

Posted by Fate

I liked Castlevania, but if MGS was put one step higher on that list I'd be more happy. In all fairness, the first three are pretty much the way it should be.

Posted by Bebop

I dont even consider Chrono a franchise. Its only two games!

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Bebop: I dont even consider Chrono a franchise. Its only two games!
Same goes for halflife, but oh well.

Posted by Echo

Quoting Last Fog: Same goes for halflife, but oh well.

That was my thinking at first, but if you include Counter Strike and its variants, that gives it a lot more in terms of being a franchise. At least more than Chrono.

Posted by Last Fog

Counter Strike and Half Life are totally different. :/

Posted by Echo

Yeah, but because CS came from Half-Life, I can understand considering them as one franchise, like IGN obviously does by naming Counter Strike as one of Half-Life's notable games. Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy Tactics are completely different, but they would both be considered a part of the Final Fantasy franchise.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Last Fog: Only like every other franchise on the list. Difference is they're still popular.

Pearl/Diamond sold more than 1.8 million copies in japan in like its first week, or some **** like that.

Half Life and Chrono Series aren't franchises. What a ****ing waste of space up there.

Posted by TendoAddict

This whole artical is a popularity contest with franchises rather then an actually analysis of the top 25. Granted just about all deserve to be on the list and the top 5 are obvious but it just seemed like a guessing game. I would of liked to see more hard numbers rather then a "lololo they make gud games."

Posted by Kit

Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life: Day of Defeat
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Source

Count all these and I think you can call it a franchise.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting TendoAddict: This whole artical is a popularity contest with franchises rather then an actually analysis of the top 25.

An actual analysis of the top 25 being...?

Posted by Linkman

I knew The Legend of Zelda, Mario, and Final Fantasy would make the top 5. I'm glad Mario got #1 though, even though Zelda was a worthy second place.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting s0ul: An actual analysis of the top 25 being...?

More or less a measurement of video game franchises and their total assets and revenue with a small mix of public opinion and other factors. Wouldn't mind seeing how much revenue they achieved per game and other things like that either.

I mean were talking franchises here, I'm kinda sad how they dumbed it down.

**** that ****. All I cared about is who got what, not measurements and figures. I didn't even read the little blurbs.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Bebop: I dont even consider Chrono a franchise. Its only two games!

[COLOR="Yellow"]Funny how when they made their list of the top 25 movie franchises of all time they had a couple of specific rules, the first of which was that there had to be at least 3 titles in the franchise in order to make the list. What's up with that?[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

Was Chrono Cross even made by the same team? They probably only included it or counted it as a franchise because it was very successful.

Chrono Trigger is a franchise. It's had an OVA, a racing game, a couple of "libraries," Chrono Cross, and Radical Dreamers.

Posted by Bebop

A racing game....wtf

Posted by Shade

I'm probably the only one who disagrees with Mario's #1 spot.

Posted by Dexter

Mario has had so many terrific games, it's difficult for me to disagree with the choice.

Posted by Shade

I dunno. I've only really liked two Mario games that I've played (no RPG), and Mario 64 and the original Super Mario Bros. are the only ones that really stand out.

uh, Super Mario World? How did that not stand out to you?

Posted by Echo

Not to mention Super Mario Brothers 3. Mario has had more than enough amazing games to make it #1.

Posted by Dexter

Mario Karts and Mario Party!!!

Mario Party 2 was superior to the original.

Posted by Dexter

Mario Party 7 has a mic!

And it's ****!

Posted by Dexter

No way. It was fun! Not only do you need paw and eye coordination, but you need vocal coordination, too!

It was terrible. Every Mario Party game after three was terrible.