post ur essays

Posted by Slade

ESSAYS MOTHER****ER DO YOU WRITE THEM?!

I just realized how stupid my concluding statement is. Oh well, I haven't gotten my grade back on this one yet.

12/04/06

ASSISTED SUICIDE
For centuries it has been disputed whether or not the law should allow people to decide to end their lives prematurely if they are constantly in pain or suffering from a terminal illness. Nowadays the act of a doctor supplying a deadly brew of barbiturates, which the patient must administer himself, is known as patient assisted suicide. People who choose to take advantage of this treatment are those who have decided that the life that they might live out naturally won

Posted by mis0

For what class are you blessed to write anything that short? My papers average seven pages, some are longer than that though. College, etc.

An no, I'm not giving anyone stuff to plagarize from. ^.-;;

Posted by Slade

English 101. I'm sure I'll have to write much longer papers next quarter for history or something. I actually don't know what classes I'll be taking... I'll be lucky to even get enrolled because I registered way late.

Huh, that does look really short compared to how it does double-spaced and stuff. Cool.

Posted by The Judge

Derick Katzman
English, Thursdays, November 30th
Wordplay, as we all know, is a very intricate part of our lives. It’s been said that the words we say only inflect 10% of the meaning we derive from the speaker, with the other percentages coming from various details, primarily bodily language. However, when given a speech to write, a man finds that perhaps the reader may not read in accordance to how the writer intended it to be read. Whereas one man may have the skills to play down a critical negative point in a speech, another may not. This is where that 10% comes into play. When the correct vocabulary is used, a catastrophe can sound like a minor ordeal, regardless of the reader. Certain words and phrases come into our minds that associate with specific things, drilled into us as we grow up. This method of careful word selection is known as “Doublespeak,” and has become common practice nowadays, resulting in a society built on half-truths and white lies, with the blacks and whites of life blurred into a solid gray. In this essay, I will be discussing the history, usage, advantages and disadvantages or doublespeak, as well as my own take on it, and the problem with the use of Doublespeak being commonly accepted in today’s society, and, more specifically, those terms used by Bush and other such politicians.
First, a little history. Obviously, it is in man’s daily life to cover up the complete truth with carefully selected words. However, the actual term “doublespeak” is relatively new. Doublespeak, in and of itself, is defined as “language deliberately constructed to disguise its actual meaning.” Sourcewatch.com recounts the history as, “The word doublespeak was coined in the early 1950s. It is often incorrectly attributed to George Orwell and his dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. The word actually never appears in that novel; Orwell did, however, coin Newspeak, Oldspeak, duckspeak (speaking from the throat without thinking 'like a duck') and doublethink (holding "...simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them..."), and his novel made fashionable composite nouns with speak as the second element, which were previously unknown in English. It was therefore just a matter of time before someone came up with doublespeak. Doublespeak may be considered, in Orwell's lexicography, as the B vocabulary of Newspeak, words "deliberately constructed for political purposes: words, that is to say, which not only had in every case a political implication, but were intended to impose a desirable mental attitude upon the person using them.” (Lutz, 1) Now, in my personal opinion, the last bit upsets me. The prospect that doublespeak is specifically for political purposes says something, to me at least, about the state of our political system right now. If the entirety of politics is recognized as a method of lies and deceit, then what of our populace? We are within the hands of the government, and yet we so willingly resign ourselves to a power above us based on corruption? Regardless, the fact in itself is disturbing to me.
Now for some popular usage of Doublespeak. In the realm of politics, doublespeak is commonly used to ease an overall less-than-intelligent public into bad things. Below is an included list of words, provided by sourcewatch.com, with various attached meanings (shortened for space allotment, and limited to those that I thought to be pertinent to the topic):
alleged: actually perpetrated
American interests: 1. Corporate interests; keeping share prices up. 2. For the benefit of the rich.
biopesticide Bacillus thuringiensis - used in the Iraq Survey Group's Report (Duelfer Report) - Bacillus thuringiensis is a commonly used biological pest control that safely and effectively targets very specific species of caterpillar (different strains affect different species). It sold at Garden Centers virtually everywhere in the US under the name "BT", and is considered to be so benign that its use is approved on "organic" grown foods.
competitive - 1. profitable 2. cheap until the little guy goes out of business
communist: during the Cold War, any person, government or media that challenged American economic hegemony in the world.
consumer: increasingly used in place of "citizen" when referring to the individual. Indicative of the growing assumption that democracy equals capitalism.
criminal extremist organization: subjective phrase for anyone or any group that poses a perceived threat.
defence budget: 1. corporate subsidy 2. attack budget
developing nations: poor countries, regardless of economic progress or the lack thereof.
digital rights management: software/hardware which restricts people from excercising their rights; in particular of fair use.
distorting the market: 1. putting people before profits 2. intervention in profiteering 3. provision of services by government
doublespeak: 1. professional jargon used by members of a disliked profession. 2. unfamiliar vocabulary, e.g. a French word
efficient: profitable
essential services: infrastructure corporations haven't worked out how to make a profit from without the public noticing yet
ethnic cleansing: genocide
finding: Whites taking food in a disaster (see looting)
free fire zone: area under attack by US troops in which the napalming and bombing of villages and shooting of journalists, women and children was permitted
humbled: actually brimming with smug pride, but seeking to be perceived as humble for the approval of easily hoodwinked "values" voters.
job flexibility : lack of job security
liberal: 1. weird perverts 2. people who care 3. people who can't make up their minds 4. people who hate business 5. people who hate America 6. Nothing at all: liberal is an adjective, not a noun.
liberate: 1. invade 2. destroy 3. steal
looting: Blacks taking food in a disaster (see finding)
media bias: lack of sufficient bias towards the purported interests of their owners.
neutralize: to kill or to render politically ineffective by imprisonment, damage to reputation, ideological seduction or distraction
new and improved: smaller, more expensive and less useful
non-duty, non-pay status: fired
oppressed minority: unpopular radicals with large wallets. (see radical)
patriotism: unquestioning loyalty to other peoples' interests
playing the Race Card: - Used to dismiss any concern of non-whites, accuses non-whites of being manipulative and having a sneaky, strategic agenda (these recycled accusations were previously used against Jews with infamous effectiviness).
quaint: inconvenient
radical: 1. popular opinion 2. person voicing popular opinions ignored by media with strong coverage 3. person in vague proximity to a another voicing popular opinion ignored by media with strong coverage (see oppressed minority)
relocation: forcible abduction (often in reference to members of indigenous communities)
riot: An anti-Corporate protest where someone is arrested, even if they are protesting lawfully and are later released without charge.
spin: often refers to outright lies, but generally implies an effort to portray events in a light favorable to the one doing the spin.
taxpayer: citizen
The word taxpayer means someone who pays taxes, and when used in a discussion of government revenues is not doublespeak. However, using the term interchangeably with citizen - the military is there to protect the taxpayers - implies that the primary role of a citizen is to pay taxes, or more generally, that the social contract (again, a term with a particular bias) between citizen and state is primarily economic. This usage has become popular in certain conservative and libertarian groups in the United States: c.f. Taxpayers for Common Sense, National Taxpayers Union.
unbiased: Used to imply correctness or truth. Lack of significant pre-judgement or conflict of interest is substantially different from reaching truth.
wet work: assassination.
values: 1. being deeply concerned about things that have no bearing on the operation of the country 2. talking points
(Aunk, 1)
These are, of course, biased to a degree (for some), though it gives a rather clear idea of how words actually come off. When using large technical words that sound important, people tend to automatically believe that the person in question is an authorities figure with a very good idea of what he’s doing and saying, and that tends to result in them believing the person has the best ideas and the best interests of the situation in mind. Used commonly in speeches, it’s plain to see how words we hear in matter of fact usage can be so easily twisted to suit the needs of the speaker.
Author William Lutz, author of “The New Doublespeak: Why No One Knows What Anyone's Saying Anymore,” is quoted to note that “If there's one product American business can produce in large amounts, it's doublespeak. Doublespeak is language that only pretends to say something; it's language that hides, evades or misleads.” (Lutz, 1) Advantages of this are easy enough to deduce, especially from a political standpoint. If someone fabricates the truth enough, they can get out of almost any situation. Granted, it isn’t the honest way of doing things, but if you take into consideration the public, you have your answer. On a whole, the public tends to be rash, stupid, and quick to action if they hear something they don’t like. Thus, it makes it almost essential to have to word things carefully; when dealing with the public, the speaker is metaphorically walking on eggshells, and even the slightest of phrases can make or break a politician.
However, even the best of words don’t detract from the truth. As put clearly by Ruth Rosen in the San Francisco Chronicle, “I'm hardly the first to notice that the Bush administration has excelled at using language to say one thing and mean its opposite -- now popularly known as doublespeak. The "Healthy Forests" program, for example, allows increased logging of protected wilderness. The "Clear Skies" initiative permits greater industrial air pollution.” (Rosen, 2) Furthering that point, Dan Clore, author of “Dubya’s Doublespeak,” gives several examples of the doublespeak used by President Bush, saying that it would “leave Orwell goggle-eyed and inarticulate in astonishment, and astound Goebbels with the sheer brazenness of its dishonesty.” (Clore, 2). As an example of some of the specifics he gives us, he writes, “Prime examples of Bush's use of Newspeak occur in his domestic policies. Take his use of the term "frivolous lawsuit". In law, this term refers to manifestly insufficient and spurious legal actions, to cases so weak that they cannot be taken seriously. The law provides a remedy for them, too: the judge throws the suit out of court. In especially blatant cases, the judge can also impose fines on those bringing the frivolous suit. According to statistics, corporations file several times as many frivolous lawsuits as individuals do. In the Bush administration's usage, on the other hand, the term refers to meritorious suits against corporate wrongdoings and malpracticing physicians. Bush proposes remedying them by putting caps on the damage awards in meritorious cases.” (Clore, 3).
As we can see, the disadvantages of doublespeak are not merely moral. While being dishonest is wrong and the concept that our government runs its entire system on fabricated words and blatant lies is appalling, it can seriously hurt the politician’s reputation if they’re caught in their lies.
The situation in this War in Iraq is one of the worst. To quote Ellen from News Hounds, “In one FOXNews.com story yesterday, FOX reporter Heather Nauert gives us this rousingly happy news from Iraq. "They're commandos, elite forces battling terrorists ? and they're Iraqi. Shiites, Sunnis and Kurds are working together to protect their homeland. And they're trained by American soldiers to do it.” (Ellen, 1). However, these reports are countered rather quickly by another report, which states, “Three militant groups warned Iraqis against voting in Jan. 30 elections, saying Thursday that people participating in the "dirty farce" risked attack. All 700 employees of the electoral commission in Mosul reportedly resigned after being threatened. The warning came a day after insurgents in Mosul, which has seen increased violence in recent weeks, launched a highly coordinated assault on a U.S. military outpost.” (Ellen, 5). Suddenly, the rousing success isn’t quite so rousing, and the truth of the situation settles in.
My opinion on the entire matter is that doublespeak, while useful, breeds dishonesty, and allows for far too many webs of deceit to be woven. While white lies are commonplace, and the public, granted, can’t necessarily handle the entirety of the truth most of the time, we as a country should attempt to breed a more honest, complete society.
In conclusion, I believe there isn’t going to be a reform any time soon, but, as always, awareness breeds caution. The more people become aware of the constant use of doublespeak in our society, the more people will notice, and, with any hope, people will try to cut back on it. Perhaps one day we’ll even see an honest politician.

Bibliography:
Lutz, William, “Life under the Chief Doublespeak Officer,” Paragraph 1,
http://www.dt.org/html/Doublespeak.html

Lutz, William, “Doublespeak,” New York, NY: Harper Perennial, 1990,
Paragraph 1, http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Doublespeak

Aunk, Rudy, “Doublespeak in Black and White,” New York, NY: Writers Club Press, 2002, Paragraph 4, http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Doublespeak

Ellen, “Iraq Doublespeak,” December 31, 2004, Paragraph 1 and 5,
http://www.newshounds.us/2004/12/31/iraq_doublespeak.php

Clore, Dan, “Dubya’s Doublespeak,” May 19 2005,
http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=20050519192522985

Rosen, Ruth, “Bush Doublespeak,” July 14, 2003, San Francisco Chronicle,
http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0714-10.htm

Posted by The Judge

Yeah, I don't put much effort into my essays. :X

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Why are all of these so short?

Snap, son. I should post some of my old ones.

Posted by The Judge

I doublespace bigfont my essays.

Posted by Slade

I just doublespace regulation font size mine. Maybe Canada is just harsh.

Posted by Ant

Anthony Smith
11/14/06
English

Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson was the third president of the United States of America; on many lists of the top 5 greatest presidents of all time, he is considered many times to be the greatest of them all. There is no doubt that he was one of the greatest men to lead this country. But others would criticize him for his views on slavery and going against his own laws and ways that he preached to others. Therefore, as a man he was a hypocritical paradox, but as a president, Thomas Jefferson was one of the greatest presidents and political leaders the United States has ever had.
Before he even became the leader of the country, he was one of the men who worked on the creation of the country itself. In such, he wrote the proclamation to Great Britain that the colonies were going to form their own country. This well known document is known as The Declaration of Independence. In writing this, it formally created the new nation, with a new radically different form of government of that of Britain. And thanks to Jefferson, it set forth and sparked the Revolutionary War.
Jefferson was also one of the founding fathers of the Republican Party, and became the main spokesmen for their cause. He promoted a vision of an agrarian nation, where most citizens would farm their own land. Jefferson also realized that commercial and/or industrial activity was needed. However, he believed that the US should be careful of too much urbanization and industrialization (Brinkley 158).
The most famous acts of his presidency that leads him to fame would have to be the purchase of the Louisiana territory. Despite being a strict constitutionalist, he knew it would be a great investment for the US, and went forth and bought this huge area of land for fifteen million dollars(or 3 cents an acre). Thanks to this bold decision on the part of Jefferson, there was no longer a fear of war with the French, and would lead the way to the expansion of the US all the way to the shores of the Pacific Ocean. Soon after, the expedition of Lewis and Clark was started. And in the words of Harry Fritz, “The spirit behind the opening of the American West was the president of the United States, Thomas Jefferson.” (2)
Despite all these great things he did for his country, he himself proved to be a very hypocritical man, to himself, and sometimes it even reflected upon his presidential activities. He basically thought of African-Americans as primitive cavemen. He says this, and in this proves how he truly was the epitome of a 19th century man “Never yet could I find that a black had uttered a thought above the level of plain narration”(Jefferson 127). He then goes on basically about the differences of whites and blacks, and how whites are better than the blacks. Yet, despite his feelings on the whole issue of blacks and slavery, he still thought it right to have intercourse with Sally Hemmings. He even fathered children with her, of which he would never support, and keep as future slaves for Monticello. For someone of such high moral standing and belief in ***, or even his own written document, The Declaration of Independence; this doesn’t reflect a man whom would believe in either *** nor the document.
In the later years of his presidency, he made one of the biggest blunders as president. In the year of 1807, he enacted the Embargo Act. In this act, the ports of the US were closed to Trade, as was the exportation of American goods to the countries of England and France. Not only did this devastate the commercial sector of the US, he proved himself to be a hypocritical chap once again. He went as far as to smuggle in a French made piano for himself while the act was being implemented (Bennion Notes).
Then lastly, he couldn’t even stay steady with his own beliefs as a Republican. With the purchase of the Louisiana Territory, it went completely against his ideals as a strict constitutionalist, as well as vast amounts of government spending. If you are going to represent a certain party then you should at least abide by what the party members expect from you otherwise they will no longer support you. Morton Bordon goes on to say how he even began to adopt some of the techniques and policies of the Federalists or you could even say that he was “outfederalizing the federalists”. (168)
Thomas Jefferson truly was one of America's greatest leaders, with such actions as the purchase of the Louisiana Territory, Lewis&Clark Expedition, and his governmental achievements. But was also erroneous in his idea of what African-Americans are, embargo act, and his own hypocrisies. In retrospect however, he acted in many ways how a 19th century man would have acted in that day and age, or no different then anyone else. And it’s because of this, that he is looked upon so well by many, and will continue to live on as an American Hero.

Work-cited Page.

Bennion, Susan. History Notes.

Borden, Morton. “Thomas Jefferson” Madaras, SoRelle. 165-172.
Larry Madaras, and James M. SoRelle, ed. Taking Sides. 11th Edition. Volume 1. Dubuque, Iowa; Mcgraw-Hill. 2005.

Brinkley, Alan. The Unfinished Nation. Steve Drummond.4th. Edition New York: McGraw-Hill 2004. 158

Fritz, Harry W. "Preparations." Discovering Lewis & Clark. Feb. 2004. University of Montana. Nov. 2006 .

Jefferson, Thomas. “Thomas Jefferson on Slavery and Race” Belmonte. 125-128.
Belmonte, Laura A. ed. Speaking of America. 2nd Edition. Volume 1. Belmont; Thomson Wadsworth. 2007.

Posted by Ch

All the essays I write are really boring, so I decided to put the only one I get entertainment out of. My English teacher made me write it on my first day of school because I was late to her class. Not only did she make me write it but also 8 others who were lost, wandering aimlessly around my huge school's hallways. I was heated.

The essay was supposed to be at least 3 pages long or else we got 3 days worth of D-Hall.

"James Rodriguez
Sept 4, 2003
Mrs. McTigue
[CENTER]
WHY I WAS LATE TO ENGLISH CLASS ON MY FIRST DAY OF FRESHMAN YEAR AT HIGH SCHOOL
[/CENTER]

Read latter half of title."

Needless to say I got in trouble and had to struggle with that teacher to get a decent grade.

Posted by Stalolin

I'd post mine, but mine suck, despite how I try to fluff them up and make them sound cool.

Posted by Slade

Wow, that's ridiculous that she'd expect you to write that for being late the first day. Reminds me of this evil crazy teacher I had once. All the teachers here allow you to be late for like a week if you're a Freshman. I'm regularly late to my only high school class now, Chemistry, and no one cares. He does threaten to make you clean beakers and stuff, though.

To be honest I was expecting a SUCK MY COCK. *shruggles*

Posted by Last Fog

This thread is stupid. I guarentee no one is reading anyone else's essay.

At first glance I thought the title was "post your asses". That would be much more interesting.

Posted by Ch

He's right. I only read the first paragraph of Slade's essay. :/

Let's post a[COLOR="White"]s[/COLOR]ses!

Kidding, by the way.

Times New Roman, single spaced, 12 font.

Quoting Last Fog: This thread is stupid. I guarentee no one is reading anyone else's essay.

I told him to post it, so I am.

blah blah blah SLADE'S REALLY COOL

Posted by Slade

Wow, dude. Idk what just happened. lol at whatever it was, though. Here, I'll try to return your post to what it was before. :D:D:D

Okay here's what I was going to post:
[QUOTE]single spaced
That would explain why yours are longer than these. Perhaps... two times longer?

@Last Fog: Post essays or gtfo

I just restrained from calling you Last Fag. Feel special.

Posted by Last Fog

I just refrained from calling you Slave.

“All of childhood is essentially preparation for adulthood.” This is a bold statement, and one that can not easily be proven true or false. Children seem to think and behave quite differently from the average adult, but also do things that would lead to the conclusion that this statement is correct. The answer may be substantially different from one person to another, depending what their childhood is like. “The Man in the Well” by Ira Sher is a short story about a group of children who confront a man trapped in a well, as he calls up to them, begging for help. It details the events that happen over the next few days, through the eyes of the narrator, who is one of the children. The group of kids never save the man, yet continue to talk to him and repeatedly ask questions. Another story, also narrated in first person by a child, “Werewolves in Their Youth” by Michael Chabon, tells about a young boy named Timothy Stokes who pretends to be a werewolf, among other types of monsters from time to time, and terrorizes all the other kids during recess. The main character, who is concluded to be Timothy’s only friend, no matter how much he denies it, is then forced into a room alone with Timothy and told to put forth an effort to help subdue his crazy imagination. Both of these stories give vivid descriptions of what the children are thinking under these stressful circumstances and how they cope with such situations. Though they are both fictitious, assuming that they accurately portray a child’s behavior and thoughts, these stories clearly support the theory that childhood is indeed preparation for adulthood.
Life is full of decision making. Each day of our lives, we are forced to make numerous choices, some more crucial than others, but all necessary. So if adulthood is so full of decisions, that would mean that, if childhood is preparation for adulthood, children must learn to make choices as well. Of course, most of what they need to decide is much more trivial and unimportant than in the adult world, but nonetheless, it’s a form of preparation for the choices they’ll face later on. And in both of these stories, the kids do in fact make choices. For example, in “The Man in the Well”, the kids almost instantaneously decide not to save the man. It’s difficult to decipher why exactly they leave him there, but they all know from the get-go that that is exactly what they’re going to do. As the narrator says:
I think it’s important that we decided not to help him. Everyone, like myself, was probably on the verge of fetching a rope, or asking where we could find a ladder, but then we looked around at each other and it was decided. I don’t remember if we told ourselves a reason why we couldn’t help him, but we had decided then. (1)

What’s even more important from this excerpt is not only do the kids all make an executive decision, but they all do it together. This displays teamwork, yet another necessity in life. Similar instances of decision making can be found in “Werewolves in Their Youth”. As Paul explains at one point:
I was privy to all kind of secrets about Timothy that I had absolutely no desire to know. I forbade myself, with an almost religious severity, to show Timothy any kindness or regard. I would never let him sit beside me, at lunch or in class, and if he tried to talk to me on the playground I ignored him, it was bad enough that I had to live next door to him. (3)

This gives insight to Paul’s way of dealing with Timothy; to ignore him altogether. This is the only way he knows to deal with Timothy, so he just avoid all contact with him. This takes some amount of effort and dedication on his part, to cut off interaction with his next door neighbor. But that is an example of a child’s way of making a choice and problem-solving.
Later in the story Paul solves a big problem, and has a sudden change of thought. As much as he’d like to ignore Timothy, it’s clear that he has some compassion for the kid, and decides to help him. Just as they’re about to take Timothy away, Paul jumps out of his chair and declares, “This is a dart gun” (10). He quickly comes up with this idea to put an end to Timothy‘s werewolf form, by shooting him with an imaginary tranquilizer. This proves that all Timothy really needed was for someone to communicate with him. All the other kids on the playground ran away from him, so he continued his aggression. But now Paul plays along, and communicates with Timothy on his level. This is an example of great communication skills that are needed as an adult. Similarly, in “The Man in the Well,” the kids also show such impressive skills. At the time they decide not to save the man, what’s most astounding is that they all do it without speaking a word. The narrator says “we looked around at each other and it was decided.” They simply look at each other and practically read each others’ minds. This demonstrates tremendous non-verbal communication that some adults can’t even use. Communication is so vital in the adult world, and these kids are doing it without moving their lips. It’s interesting that as the story progresses, everything the kids do is done together, uniformly. They walk to the well together, stand together, sit together. Then after a few minutes start asking questions. As the narrator says, “When we got to the well we stood around quietly for a moment listening for him” (2). They all stood and listened at the same time.
Aside from practicing important life skills, the kids in both stories show that they are appropriately preparing for adulthood in another way. They try to hide their identities. In “The Man in the Well,” all the children attempt to not reveal their names to the stranger. They don’t want him to know who they are. At one point Wendy slips and accidentally says “I think they’re almost here. Aaron said his dad is almost here” (3). The moment she says that she gets upset, and the rest of the group become nervous and silent. The narrator goes on to explain:
As soon as she said it she was sorry, because she’d broken one of the rules. I could see it on her face, eyes filling with space as she moved back from the well. Now he had one of our names. She said “They’re going to come” to cover up the mistake, but there it was, and there was nothing to do about it. (3)

It’s not exactly stated why the kids didn’t want him to have their names, but whatever the reason it sure did upset them all. And it’s really not at all outlandish for them to feel this way, because adults often feel the same way around strangers, people they don’t trust. No one is quick to give their name to someone they know nothing about. Similarly, in “Werewolves in Their Youth,” Timothy pretends to be something he’s not, another form of concealing his identity just like the group in the other story. Paul says:
I had known his as a bulldozer, as a samurai, as an android programmed to kill, as Plastic Man and Titanium Man and Matter-Eater Lad, as a Buick Electra, as a Peterbilt truck, and even, for a week, as the Mackinac Bridge, but it was as a werewolf that Timothy Stokes finally went too far. (1)

Why does Timothy pretend to be all these different powerful, intimidating creatures? Possibly he wants to impress the other kids on the playground, because he is ashamed of being regular, boring Timothy. So he acts like a werewolf or a samurai. Or it could just be his way of escaping reality or the pressures he endures at home. Either way, adults do this sort of thing all the time. They pretend to be something they’re not. Of course, it’s rarely a bulldozer, but the same sort of thing is apparent. Whether at a job interview or meeting someone they like for the first time, adults commonly put on a façade to impress other people. And kids do this all the time, although it’s just looked upon as play and imagination. But in reality it’s not all that different. Just as adults “pretend” to alter someone’s opinion about them or attempt to make themselves more interesting, this is really all children do as well, in their own fantastical way, so therefore it is preparation for adulthood.
All of these coinciding aspects of both stories give supporting evidence that children are in fact in preparation to become adults. Even though they are both fictional, they sharply imitate the real life of children. There are many kids just like Paul and Timothy, just as there are kids who would possibly act the same as the group in “The Man in the Well,” given similar circumstances. The stories presumably are loosely based on an event that happened in the authors’ lives, that for whatever reason remains clear to them years later. Therefore it’s safe to say that everything here is probable, otherwise they wouldn’t write about it so vividly. Of course, not everything children do will carry on into adulthood; some things are exclusive to being a kid, which is why there is a distinction between the two in the first place, other than just the obvious age difference. But primarily, many things a kid does and feels parallels that of an adult, only on a different scale. For instance, if a child never learns to communicate with peers at a young age, it will be much more difficult to do it later on. If a child is never exposed to all the aspects of life, he will never be prepared for the daily tasks he will face and the common skills necessary to function in society. For this, it’s plain to see that childhood is, in fact, a means of preparation for the road ahead.

Quoted post: Wow, dude. Idk what just happened. lol at whatever it was, though. Here, I'll try to return your post to what it was before.

You hit edit instead of quote. Fail more.

Anywho, I mainly said in regards to Last Fog "I told Slade to post them so i could read them. So I am"

Posted by Stalolin

my english teacher gave me like, a bunch of half page papers to write

HERE'S ONE ON A MODEST PROPOSAL BY JONATHAN SWIFT

and title is not what I wanted it to be, though it doesn't make much of a difference (had like, 12 essays to write, didn't care about titles)

[RIGHT][RIGHT]Michael Nohejl[/RIGHT]
[/RIGHT]
[RIGHT][RIGHT]Honors English/Emerich[/RIGHT]
[/RIGHT]
[RIGHT][RIGHT]12/6/2006[/RIGHT]
[/RIGHT]

[CENTER][CENTER]A Proposal For Children[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Amongst some of the greatest pieces of satire lies a small pamphlet handed to the British public in 1729. The pamphlet was entitled A Modest Proposal: For Preventing the Children of Poor People in Ireland from Being a Burden to Their Parents or Country, and for Making Them Beneficial to the Publick and although it had a particularly long title, it was not what it was remembered for. The pamphlet was written by Jonathan Swift, an Irishman who lived in England. The pamphlet focused on the problem of the massive amount of poor people in Ireland. At that point in time Ireland was under a lot of economic distress, having most of its people as unfortunate paupers. The rest of the lot were the powerful landlords that controlled almost all of the wealth. Swift’s proposal to this human crisis was the grim and decadent concept of devouring one’s young. The rich would buy the young from the poor as a delicacy, helping to lower the population of Ireland and increase the equality of money. The pamphlet even tried to back-up the argument with logic, making the reader guess as to whether or not Swift was being serious. The pamphlet itself was ill-received because of its suggested solution, making Swift’s proposal not modest at all.
[FONT="]
[/FONT] [CENTER][CENTER]Works Cited[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Cody, David. "Jonathan Swift: Biographical Materials." 2000. 11 Dec 2006 .

"Jonathan Swift." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 9 Dec 2006, 23:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 11 Dec 2006 .

Swift, Jonathan. "Jonathan Swift - A Modest Proposal." 1729. 11 Dec 2006 .

That's not even an essay.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: You hit edit instead of quote. Fail more.

Is it ironic that I did the same in an attempt to reply to this? I'm going to read buttons more. :(

Yeah, but it was weird because I still quoted you inside the edit. It was a mess. I need some sleep or something.

Posted by Last Fog

I declare that no essay on any topic should ever need to be more than 4 pages. Ever.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire]That's not even an essay.

stfu

Wait, oh ****, Modest Proposals... those things rock. I still have my old one. I'll post it later.

Posted by Slade

I think the longest essay I ever wrote was on the Holocaust. Probably also the most enjoyable.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Slade: I think the longest essay I ever wrote was on the Holocaust. Probably also the most enjoyable.
Not sure how you meant that.

Posted by Slade

I got to talk about flamethrowers and stuff.

Quoted post: Not sure how you meant that.

The Holocaust was awesome. That's what he meant.

Posted by Slade

fukken flamethrowers

**** those. Nothing better than having a child rape his jew mother, get her pregnant, rip the baby out before it's due and then drown it infront of her.

Posted by Slade

Sounds like the erotic story I've been waiting my whole life to hear.

In other words, I came.

Posted by Last Fog

whoa whoa this is getting out of hand WHOOOAAA

Quoted post: whoa whoa this is getting out of hand WHOOOAAA

Getting out of hand? This **** has been out of hand since the forties, son.

Posted by Last Fog

so how many jews can you fit in a car

ashtray etc

Posted by Xero

[B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Poppin' in!

made on the 2/12/2006

Intro : Every year, Canada gets a high amount of immigrants. Although in the past years, a lot of non-immigrants probably noticed how those newcomers influence certain rules we established at first. Should we really fullfile their demands? It all depends. Demands such as accepting the kirpan at school, taking off the

Posted by mis0

Who cares about Canada anyway?

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Your mum.

No seriously, nobody, but I'm living there, so I'm complaining.[/COLOR]

Posted by mis0

You're French though. PARADOX MUCH?

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I might be french, but I spend 90% of my time speaking/writing english. PARADOX 2[/COLOR]

Posted by mis0

STFU french monster. Go back to the land of gourmet food and miserable cars from whence you came!

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]They banned me from that place :(

and...I don't wanna go back. It's so....ghey there.[/COLOR]

Posted by Pit

NOTICE VAMPIRO TALKS ABOUT POSTING HIS LATER AND NEVER DOES.

WHAT A JERK.

I'LL DO IT NOW JUST FOR YOU. Pretty sure this is from grade 11 or something and I got perfect on it. Like most essays. Yay me.

A Modest Proposal

A plague, a disease, ravaging society, slowing the progress of man. Crime is an ever growing problem all over the word. From South Africa, to the Middle East, to North America. The nature of mankind casts a thick shadow that we cannot seem to find our way out of. But why can’t we put a stop to crime? Why are we so lenient when it comes to law? Is it fair that a drunk-driver receives a lesser sentence for killing another human being because he was intoxicated? Is it fair that a pedophile can receive free education while the good and decent has to struggle just to pay off their student loans? I believe the answer is obvious, and that answer is a resounding “no”.

However, crime is not the only issue that we need to discuss. There are other serious problems that are just as important. Things like the lack of organ donors, world hunger, and funds being poured into jailing resources. Funds that could serve a greater purpose. These are problems that we must face; these are problems that we must solve. We cannot grow as humans, as a society, as a people, without first solving the flaws that disrupt our very being. Because, let’s face it, isn’t the point of evolution to overcome that which holds us back, that which binds us to our current status and that which causes us to suffer?

As I said, the lack of organ donations is a serious issue. We need more organs, plain and simple. Far to many are left on a waiting list, watching the clock as the second hand ticks away, drawing ever closer to their last breath. And why? Because too many people are selfish. They refuse to donate an organ that could save another’s life. They refuse to donate an organ even after they themselves have died, after they have no further use for them. We must solve this problem, whether we have to use force or not.

The same could be said for world hunger. While the fat cats in North America hoard their food, their money, and their possessions, the rest of the world suffers. The lack of food is causing death upon death upon death. We eat more than our fair share, so why can’t we give up a little of what is ours? Why can’t we sacrifice our chips and soda and give them to those who are truly in need? We can’t, because we are selfish. There’s really nothing we can do to convince the general population to help the world, so we must take action, not just with words, but with the power we hold.

So you may be asking yourself “What on earth is he talking about? How do crime, organs, world hunger, and jailing funds correlate?”. Well, the answer is simple, obvious, and oh so delicious. Are our jails not filed with vile scum? Can we not rid them from our sight, never having to worry about them again? Are they not bags of flesh full of precious meat and entrails? Absolutely! What I am proposing to you today, this very day, October fourth, is to sacrifice those of whom we do not need, those who have already willingly given up their freedom. What I am proposing is taking the criminals in our jails, killing them off, and using them as tools that can help mend the various problems that we cannot seem to deal with otherwise. I’m almost surprised that someone hasn’t voiced this solution before. Why, it seems ever so obvious. Wouldn’t you agree?

Now, I don’t mean every criminal, every single man and woman who has walked into a jail cell. But I do mean the vast majority. Far too many waste away their days serving no other purpose other than devouring our tax dollars. So let’s fix it. Those who are currently serving over three years shall swiftly be executed. Those who are repeat offenders (two or more times) shall also be executed - even if it’s just petty theft. Obviously they have not learned their lesson yet, so why give them another chance? Not only will this lessen the numbers that fill our jails, but it will also act as a deterrent. Who would be foolish enough to commit a crime if they knew it meant their immediate death? No one of course. We will also be able to downsize the jails themselves, same with guards and other precautions. This means that the money that usually went into jailing funds went back into your pocket. Heck, I wouldn’t mind saving a few bucks a year, would you?

But, we must press onto the important details. Once the criminal has been executed, their bodies will be sliced open, and their organs removed. Those that need them will receive them. With the abundance of criminals, there should be more than enough organs to service anyone who is in need. No more waiting lists, no more watching your parents, your children, or your relatives die knowing that it only took one person so save them. They shall find a perfect match within days of being diagnosed and they will recover, no more borrowed time. The ones you love will stay with you. No more unnecessary deaths.

As for what remains of their body, namely the flesh and the meat, will be tested thoroughly in hopes of deeming it safe for consumption. Once it passes our inspections, it will be packaged and shipped around the world. But will other nations accept our gifts? Absolutely. After all, do they really have to know that they’re eating human meat? Not at all. Isn’t any food better than no food? I believe so. If it meant my survival and health, I would gladly tear into a piece of human thigh, as I’m sure any starving person would too.

My proposal is definitely not outlandish by any means. In fact, I think it’s fairly obvious. I would love to save a few bucks on taxes; I would be happy to know that crime is finally getting taken care of; I’d feel safe to know that criminals no longer roam my city; I’d be proud to know that my country was saving decent lives, and feeding those who are in desperate need. This solution will help advance our society. We will no long be bound by fear of those that are mad, they will no longer run this world, they will no longer be a threat. We will finally be able to live in peace.

Capital Punishment

Capital punishment has, in some form, existed since the beginning of civilization. It’s been used all over the world, time and time again, meant for the most severe crimes imaginable. Capital punishment, or the death sentence, is usually defined as the judicially ordered execution of a prisoner as a punishment for a serious crime, often called a capital offence.

The term stems from the Latin caput, literally meaning “head” and also pars pro toto for the whole individual. Therefore, capital punishment is meant to put an end to a criminal’s life who deserves death, usually by decapitation. Anything less is not acceptable.

The death sentence was most commonly used within Medieval Europe. During this time, the most cruel and unusual forms of death were put to use. Though, this never happened to the nobility, who would be executed both honorably and painlessly, generally with an ax. The cruel executions were reserved for the working class, the serfs, peasants, and so on. They were put to death, not only publicly, but also gruesomely. Though hanging and the wheel was the norm when it came to public executions.

However, certain crimes called for specific executions. For example, suspected witchcraft, heresy, atheism, and even homosexuality would typically be punished by burning at the stake. Unsuccessful regicide, or the killing of a king, warranted horrible, brutal deaths. Though, capital punishment, during this time, wasn’t just limited to severe crimes. You could be put to death for a number of things, even theft. The military also used the death sentence for crimes including looting, insubordination, and mutiny.

As mentioned before, old forms of execution were horrible, brutal, and disgusting. Capital punishment today could even be considered humane when compared to the few examples we’ve taken the liberty of providing.

Executions like sawing, where the criminal would literally be sawed from the groin up to the rib-cage; flaying, where the skin would be removed from the body; and drawing and quartering, which was considered the epitome of cruel punishment. The criminal would be dragged to their place of execution, hung, disemboweled, shown their entrails which would then be burned before their eyes, and finally, beheaded. Afterwards, the body would be divided into four separate parts.

As you can see, today’s forms of execution, like the electric chair, lethal injection, and gassing could almost be deemed humane. Though that hasn’t stopped most democratic countries from abolishing capital punishment.

The slide behind us shows the areas that have abolished capital punishment. These areas are coloured blue. Though there’s not as many blue as red, which means capital punishment is a legal form of punishment, quite a few places have deemed it completely unnecessary. And as the map shows, the three biggest counties all have different view points on the subject.

Capital punishment used to exist in Canada, but no longer. Even then, the only method they ever used was hanging, or the long drop, and the last time anyone was ever executed in Canada was back in 1976. But, Canada banned it completely because of fears of wrongful convictions, concerns about the state taking lives, and the uncertainty of it as a deterrent.

China on the other hand is almost completely the opposite. They use capital punishment for a number of crimes, including tax evasion, corruption and racketeering to murder.

As for the USA, they are second only to the People’s Republic of China when it comes to the number of executions. Sanctioned by 38 of the 50 states, the federal government maintains the right to use capital punishment, though does so infrequently. Each state has different laws when it comes to the methods used, age limits, and the crimes.

As mentioned, some countries do practice the death penalty for juveniles. Most of these executions took place in the United States, although due to the slow process of appeals, no one under the age of 19 had been executed in recent years. The Supreme Court has even ruled in Roper v. Simmons that the death penalty cannot be applied to persons who were under age 18 at the time of the crime. That decision resulted in the 72 convicted murderers being taken off death row.

However, it’s not only countries that can have different view points, but also religions.

Christians tends to be divided on the issue - some are in favour, some are completely against it. A group’s general opinion seems to differ from country to country - matching that of where they live. For example, many that live outside the USA are against it, while those that live within the US tend to favour it. Even though the Christian churches have been opposed to it since the fifties.
Judaism on the other hand, believes the death penalty is correct, in theory, for some crimes. Though the application of such a punishment can only be carried out by humans whose system of justice is nearly perfect. Something that hasn’t existed for quite awhile, if ever.

Now that we have pointed out the various view points, we would now like to show you arguments for and against capital punishment.

Like the last point mentioned, capital punishment in the ultimate way to deal with a wrongdoer and protect society. It has a long history that has changed and evolved over the years. Today, capital punishment is seen as less cruel than it was in the past, though there are still many against it. Though effective, whether or not capital punishment is a just way of dealing with serious crimes is debatable.

And this one I had published in the paper. It's actually not an essay, but rather for Creative Writing. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Creator

You were mine, my one and only. Quite possibly my greatest creation. From clay, mud, dust and dirt you came to life. Under my command, my rule, my iron fist, I controlled you, commanded you. We were conquerors... this planet bowed before you, and you before I. Together, we were unrivaled. Cripplers, destroyers, creators, givers of life. Through my power nothing could stand in your way. Our bond was thicker than blood, stronger than steel, unbreakable... I thought.

Side by side, you and I, stick upon stick, brick upon brick... this ball of filth was ours, marked for all to see, all to shake and shiver at our might. The fish in the sea, the birds in the air, and all lesser beings in-between quaked in your shadow, for they had no way to stop your growth. Like a plague among the sick, you spread to distant continents, destroying all in our path. In their wake, new life was born. More to rise and rule, more to destroy and create, more to bow down before my power.

I asked nothing more than perfection, and for a time, you gave me nothing less. But as your numbers grew, our love for each other waned. There were too many to control, even I could not contain beings such as yourself. Looking upon me and seeing your potential, you cursed my name, spit on my ground, denounced my authority. Seeing this, appalled, disgusted, sickened by your hatred in me, in me your creator. The one who gave you life, the one who breathed a soul into your empty shell.

My voice boomed, thundering across the land. I would have none of this. I gave you life, and I can take it away. Yet, you paid no attention; turning backs, deaf ears, and blind eyes, you wished to drive me out of your existence, having no use for me anymore, you wished to just throw me away. No, you are mine. You thought my threats were empty and my word weak. However, I swore that my wrath would be felt if my laws were broken, and you left me with no choice. Death, famine, pestilence and war were unleashed upon you. Numbers dwindled, lives ended, and fear restored. Though it was clearly not enough. A fungus that would have to be ripped out from the root or drowned under unforgiving waters. For days and nights, months and years, all hell rained down. Millimeters to centimeters, inches to feet, meters to kilometers to leagues. A final nail in the coffin, an end to your blasphemy.

Yet you built rafts, boats, dams and shelters. Anything you could do to put a halt to my wrath. Your resilience was almost frightening. Like a cornered animal, you lashed out. Your hatred for me grew. You called me a myth, you called me make-believe and foolish. You stopped acknowledging my existence. You stuck a dagger through my heart...

Our bond was thicker than blood, stronger than steel, unbreakable... I thought. For I, though almighty, all powerful, am a foolish old man. You cannot control what thinks, what feels, what moves freely. In this case, I was far too kind, far too forgiving, a lapse of judgment perhaps. A lapse I may never be able to forget. I weep for what we once had, I weep for what could have been. But now, alone I sit, alone I sit on my throne, alone in my kingdom... trapped, scared, frightened. I created your freedom, and you took mine away.

Posted by Pit

haha, did that so i can plagiarize, haha *******

I figured it was a possibility, and I'm fine with that.

JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU GET PLZ LOL

Posted by Stalolin

wtf does crime have to do with eating children

Quoted post: wtf does crime have to do with eating children

Nothing. Which was why my essay wasn't about that. Actually read it, idiot.

Posted by Stalolin

no and you can't make me

Posted by Slade

I read them. The first and last ones were the best. Really made me want to take a creative writing class. Are those the ones you were saying you enjoyed a lot? Because, yeah, creative writing is awesome, but I hardly ever enjoy "critical writing" about some cowboys and indians novel or something.

Quoted post: I read them. The first and last ones were the best. Really made me want to take a creative writing class. Are those the ones you were saying you enjoyed a lot? Because, yeah, creative writing is awesome, but I hardly ever enjoy "critical writing" about some cowboys and indians novel or something.

Yeah, the middle one was for Law and made for a slide presentation. I was just too lazy to look for any of the other ones. But yeah, take creative writing if you can. Not only is it **** easy, but it's pretty awesome too. Assuming you can write well... every day.

This one is also from Creative Writing which I'm pretty sure was also published later in the year. I can't remember though.

Portal?

A window, a tease, a hole through this leathered heart. This portal before me, beckons, taunts, promises of an outside. A way out.

My gaze slowly drops, my grip loosens from these steely bars. Bars of solid, bars unbreakable, unbendable, inescapable. For years this portal shows me of another world. A world forgotten eons ago. I world I shall never set foot upon once more.

A curse slips from cracked lips, hoarse, filled with disdain.

Memories flood, muscles tense, tears fall. A man without regrets is a man who has never lived, I a man who has lived a thousand lives. Fists slam, a crack reverberates, wall or bone... I can’t tell, though no pain is felt.

Pulling myself upright, pushing aside guilt, my head knocks against the bars... standing like royale guards. Eyes, deep of green, slid up to my portal, my window. The light that spills forth is quick to blind. Causing a hand to shoot up and block the white. As my eyes adjust, the world, once vague, begins to clear. The contrast is sharp, deadly, an arrow to the chest. Never failing.

The scene before me is picturesque. Pristine. Ironic. What a sight it would be to see. A hollow, fortified block of stone tossed upon virgin earth. A culmination of man and nature, a brute amongst gentlemen. A sore sight for sore eyes.

A landscape so fragile, more rugged than any tower of steel. Wrinkles give way to streams of crystal, freckled with rocks, pebbles rounded by constant churning. Webs of rooting grasp powerfully at surrounding dirt, causing it to rise as if the earth itself was taking its last breath. The wind, though cool, refreshed the air, giving it a crisp smell. Dotting the landscape, various animals roamed free... free. Freedom to all, but denied to me. How I even know the word eludes me. How can a man know what he has truly never experienced? A slow, mournful sigh pierces the silence. I barely even realize that it was coming from me.

My portal of dreams, of lies, deception... of hope. A shudder of lightening rips through my body, a “HAH!” booms of thunder. Delusions. What lies beyond those bars, that window, is nothing other than hideous. That much I know. Though I dare not admit it. I dare not open these eyes and realize what lies before me.

Dreams are what keep us alive. For without them, the reality of this harsh world bears down, a crushing force. Streams, trees, rocks, grass, animals... a shield. My shield. This window, a portal. An entrance and an exit. A passage for my dreams to pass through, for it to manifest in. Delaying the inevitable.

Posted by Xero

[B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][QUOTE=Vampiro V. Empire]A Modest Proposal

A plague, a disease, ravaging society, slowing the progress of man. Crime is an ever growing problem all over the word. From South Africa, to the Middle East, to North America. The nature of mankind casts a thick shadow that we cannot seem to find our way out of. But why can

The whole point of the essay was to take an issue and solve it with an extreme. So I figured why not kill off the prisoners while we're at it? Obviously cloning and the like is a far better solution to all of this, but that's boring.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Unfortunatly, cloning was rejected by all countries. That's what one of my teacher told me.

As for killing, I guess we could always execute those who are sentenced to jail for life and of course, those who are sentecned to death in some countries IF it has to go to an extreme. I don't know if any Government will ever go that far, but that is a solution.[/COLOR]

Quoted post: Unfortunatly, cloning was rejected by all countries. That's what one of my teacher told me.

Uh, not that I've heard of. A lot of people disagree with it, but technically the federal government can't regulate it. The problem is no one really wants to deal with it at this point because the cost-benefit fails. There's hasn't been a successful instance of cloning yet. By this I mean full cloning, like animals and the like. My dads old company (Lion) use cloned tissue from a specific dog for cancer research and the like. So to say it's rejected is untrue, as companies use it as a viable business practice.

But yeah, no government would ever go for it. That's the point. It's unethical and disgusting, meaning absolutely no one who holds power would agree with it. It wouldn't sit well with the public and breaks the constitution. Plus, no one would sell human tissue for consumption. And for the US to dupe a country into doing so... well, you can imagine the outcome of that. Not pretty.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]No indeed. The US pretty much ****ed off most of the "powerful" countries.

Take the terrorists for example. If they ever manage to clone humans, then they might use those clones to blow up in public places and that'll just cause more damages. Lord knows what they could do with that. I think it would be too dangerous, but then again...there were cloning experiments done already on animals and they worked...I guess they just didn't get access to it just yet, but imagine if they would.

I also see some countries attempting to clone their soldiers willingly or not to be more powerful. Who knows?

No really, no cloning.[/COLOR]

Posted by mis0

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Uh, not that I've heard of. A lot of people disagree with it, but technically the federal government can't regulate it. The problem is no one really wants to deal with it at this point because the cost-benefit fails. There's hasn't been a successful instance of cloning yet. By this I mean full cloning, like animals and the like. My dads old company (Lion) use cloned tissue from a specific dog for cancer research and the like. So to say it's rejected is untrue, as companies use it as a viable business practice.

But yeah, no government would ever go for it. That's the point. It's unethical and disgusting, meaning absolutely no one who holds power would agree with it. It wouldn't sit well with the public and breaks the constitution. Plus, no one would sell human tissue for consumption. And for the US to dupe a country into doing so... well, you can imagine the outcome of that. Not pretty.

Haven't you heard of capitalism? If there are people willing to buy cloned tissue, then there will be someone to sell it. I imagine some rich people who have the means might like "spare parts" incase they ever need them.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I wouldn't be surprise if there were some secret "tissue exchange" somewhere, but it's something delicate, because you can't just clone humans. Eventually it'll be noticed. Cloning animals, that's possible. Butcher needs more money and asks to get animals cloned to make more money, I see that happening. Hopefully I won't eat a cloned animal. *** knows if the experiment REALLY worked well. That was an example, but so far I haven't read anything such, so it probably isn't very...active yet.[/COLOR]

Quoted post: Haven't you heard of capitalism? If there are people willing to buy cloned tissue, then there will be someone to sell it. I imagine some rich people who have the means might like "spare parts" incase they ever need them.

That's what my dad's old company was... they sold cloned tissue.

Quoted post: there were cloning experiments done already on animals and they worked...I guess they just didn't get access to it just yet, but imagine if they would.

No they didn't. Every attempt at cloning an entire animal has failed.

Posted by Slade

First, clones are people just like you and I. No one has the technology to create a "robot," so to speak. The only thing close to that would be a botched cloning procedure resulting in a mentally handicapped person. Anyways, clones aren't even exactly like their "donors," personality-wise. They won't even look exactly the same as the donor, or live the same kind of life. Environment decides all of that.

So saying that terrorists would make some kind of clone army and make them all become suicide bombers is pretty dumb. They've got a fine system now of dogmatism and brainwashing doing the same with non-clones.

And a "fat cat" is a person with a lot of money and power, not literally an overweight feline.

Quoted post: No they didn't. Every attempt at cloning an entire animal has failed.

Dolly the sheep was cloned from a bit of breast tissue from another sheep. She apparently aged faster than normal sheep and died after about 4 years(I think). So if you consider her dying faster than normal failure, then yeah we've never cloned an animal completely. But otherwise, yes, we have.

Some 1337 azn scientist told everyone that he cloned a dog or something, but that turned out to be a lie.

Quoted post: Dolly the sheep was cloned from a bit of breast tissue from another sheep. She apparently aged faster than normal sheep and died after about 4 years(I think). So if you consider her dying faster than normal failure, then yeah we've never cloned an animal completely. But otherwise, yes, we have.

Failed as in an unsuccessful at creating a normal clone. There's always been a defect, including the attempt at cloning a near extinct species which died two days after birth. We can clone, we just haven't worked out the kinks.

But yeah, you could probably look at a clone as an identical twin. Split them up at birth and you can be assured that they won't be so identical twenty years down the road.

Posted by The Judge

She was named Dolly after Dolly Parton, since she was cloned from a breast cell.

I'm not joking.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I was talking about Dolly, yes. Like Slade said. If the fact that Dolly died faster than it should have, then it kinda failed, but "they're" getting there I guess. I wonder if they're on a new cloning plan right now...[/COLOR]

YOU WILL ****ING CAPITALIZE MY NAME, ****IT

Posted by The Judge

Sorta like Solid Snake ageing rapidly because he's a clone.

And thus, everything comes back to Metal Gear Solid.

Posted by The Judge

Like all things.

Posted by mis0

As all things should.

Posted by Zeta

Snake? SNAKE!? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA- *Shot*

Posted by Linko_16

Who put this box here?

Posted by Slade

I think I put more time into playing that demo of the first two areas on the PSone than I did any of my other games at the time.

MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS:PO > MGS2

Posted by Slade

I'm glad PO isn't ahead of, say, MGS1, because then I'd have to play it. And that just isn't going to happen.

It's actually pretty close.

Posted by Ant

What the hell is PO? And MGS2 is the only one I played...and I really liked it... :(

Portable Ops. It's for the PSP. Basically, the only good game for the system. And when I say good I mean ****ing awesome.

Also. MGS2 is a good game, however, it's the worst out of the bunch. I like Raiden and all, but I've been playing the games from the beginning, and pushing Snake to almost a support character is not cool. You play MGS to play as Snake.

Posted by Ant

Well, I had no previous idea of what the game was about when I bought it originally back in 02 for 20 bux. So I didn't really give a sh[COLOR="Lime"]i[/COLOR]t about snake, just knew he was kinda cool. But the game itself, and the story, both compelled me to play through it.

Yeah, it's got some nifty bits that make me really love it. Luckily it felt like a Metal Gear game, which is why it still managed to be really good.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's actually pretty close.

DON'T MAKE ME REGRET TRADING IN MY PSP FOR A DS :mad:

I'd cry n' stuff.

Posted by Ant

Haha, don't worry. That game would probably be the only somewhat good game for the PSP. I'm sure it's still chock full of load times :-D

Posted by Stalolin

LOL WHERES METAL GEAR SOLD VR MISSIONS FIT ON THAT CHART LOL

Quoted post: DON'T MAKE ME REGRET TRADING IN MY PSP FOR A DS

I'd cry n' stuff.

The PSP blows overall. I mean, it actually has some really good games... but they are posts. Near perfect ports, but still ports.