Do your parents care if you play games?

Posted by Slade

Well, do they?

Mine sometimes say that games are a waste of time and money. My mom likes to tell me every year that the next year I won't like them or have any time for them at all because of school. She even tried to pull the "You're too old for them" trick once or twice. And no, this wasn't related to the fact that I had just gotten Elmo's Alphabet Adventure for the N64(26 EXCITING LETTERS TO DISCOVER!) at all.

Most recently, though, they scoffed at my Christmas list because it was chock-full of GBA and DS games and said I should put more "outside-y" stuff on it. Pfft, I already have all of those things.

PS- somebody plz let me know when scooters are cool again

Posted by Omni

Quoting Slade: PS- somebody plz let me know when scooters are cool again

Panic will let you know for sure.

They mostly leave me alone, except for when it comes to loaning money to people they don't know.

Posted by Zeta

They don't mind, but I always have to turn the volume all the way down when my moms in the room. Doesn't matter how awesome the music sounds, she just disregards it as a bunch of stupid beeps and bloops. :mad:

Posted by Arcadios

Nope.
They encourage it at times for me to stay home but I've been drifting away from games as of late and more into music.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

All my consoles are in my room, so my mom doesn't give a ****. Even if she did I wouldn't care. I'm old enough to ignore her.

Posted by Dexter

My parents don

Posted by Ant

My father used to refuse to buy me video games as a child growing up. And throughout school used to blame them as my downfall. And anytime I got grounded the first thing to go would be the video games. My mother on the other hand bought them for me all the time. Presently though, they don't care if I do or don't. I'M A BIG BOY!

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Oh, in the past I've had every counter-argument from fad to square-eyes thrown at me, but I'm still playing, years later. Right now I know that my parents would prefer if I was more into sports or whatever, but now that I'm studying game development for a career they're definiteyl starting to take it a lot more seriously. My dad will come out with random snippets of stuff game-related that he sees in the news instead of just glossing over them (we recently had a really fulfilling discussion about the effect of MMOs, for example, and things like Everquest murder), and every now and again the whole family has a laugh with each other when the parents try to play Burnout. My dad recently rented Heroes of the Pacific for my brother's Xbox because he wanted something to do with his day other than clean and play Freecell. And my whole family is really interested in Wii.

Part of it is my influence and part of it is video games permeating into mainstream culture more. before I owned a PlayStation, I had to hatch schemes in order to get one (in order to convince her, I bought a game. Then I argued that since I had the game and nothing to play it on, I should be able to get the console). They're still shocked about the cost, and of course my dad buys into all the bad press about GTA (but has no problem playing Medal of Honor on PC because he loves to shoot Germans, go figure), but they're definitely a lot more likely to be cool with me playing Manhunt now than they would have been about Spyro ten years ago.

I've just realised I should rent COD3 on Wii when I go back this weekend. I'm sure my dad would love it.

Posted by Slade

I just remembered that a few weeks ago when I got a DS and Megaman ZX my dad tried it out. He hasn't actually tried a game in years. It was a little sad because he died right before he mastered the wall jump technique. Fun times were had with me trying to explain everything to him, though, because he was just running through the level with reckless abandon. I think if I get a game that really uses the touch pad(maybe Wario Ware) I'll suggest that he tries it.

Also, my mom used to play Crash Team Racing with me almost every day for at least a little while during the time I was home-schooled. She actually beat me once or twice at battle mode(or arena...whatever) before I traded it in. I think I got it again later, but she never played it.

When I got Xbox Live for the first time my dad liked to watch my play Halo sometimes. They both thought it was so interesting how I played a game against a bunch of Puerto Ricans who were all speaking Spanish. I think they told all their friends about Live as soon as I got it.

After remembering all of that stuff, it baffles me how they can say some of the things they do now... Probably has something to do with not being phsysically active every day anymore.

Oh yeah, and I have occasional talks with my parents about videogame related stuff in the news or in magazines.

Quoted post: You have an opportunity to change someone's opinion, go for it!

She did understand that games are more than mindless when I explained to her that some characters die or go through a lot in an RPG. I told her it makes it more interesting just like any of the murder mystery books she loves to read.

Posted by mis0

Parents? WHERE?!

I forgot how much of a drag rules could be.

Posted by Sean Fury

My parents love games, they don't play anymore (when I was younger they'd play games like Mario Kart 64 and stuff with me all the time, but when I started owning them all the time it wasn't fun for me anymore so we kinda stopped). They don't care if I play games, and they love watching me play DDR because they can't understand how I can move so fast and such. Good times.

Posted by KoH

When I was younger my parents did what they could to prevent me from playing games. Now that I'm older I'm sure they'd prefer that I stop but now just have given up and accepted the fact that they don't really have a say in the matter.

[quote=Misoxeny]Parents? WHERE?!

I forgot how much of a drag rules could be.

Anarchy for life.

Posted by Echo

My grandfather has always said that I'm too old for games, to which I just respond that my plan for the rest of my life involves video games (I want to get involved in game design when I'm done with college). Not that he really controls what I do or don't do. Both of my parents just see it as another thing for me to do and recognize that it's a career that I eventually want to have. My dad used to play games with me and occasionally will still play something, and my mom just accepts it as something that I'm interested in and doesn't see anything wrong with it.

Quoted post: My grandfather has always said that I'm too old for games, to which I just respond that my plan for the rest of my life involves video games (I want to get involved in game design when I'm done with college).

Just tell him the average age for a person that plays video games is late twenties to thirties.

Posted by Dexter

Is that actually true?

Yeah, apparently.

Posted by Trigger

Nope, been playing games for the longest time. It was them buying me the new Sega Mega Drive back in the day that made me discover that Santa really wasn't real.

Posted by Ch

I don't even play them anymore because of school, work, friends, and my music projects. And when I do play them is when I stay in, so my Dad actually encourages me playing video games all night and staying home :/

Posted by JonMB

Growing up, I think I spent more time with my video games than my parents. It's kinda sad, in a way, but hey... I'm a happy guy.

Posted by The Judge

My folks see it as a worthless hobby and a waste of time and money, but they don't care anymore.

Posted by Echo

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Just tell him the average age for a person that plays video games is late twenties to thirties.

Eh, I don't worry about it. I just chalk it up to him being old and not understanding all of this new fangled stuff.

Posted by brownoystercult

My mom likes Guitar Hero!

All she plays is "Smoke on the Water" though.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

The benefits of living by yourself.

But they didn't care, anyhow.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Only my mom cares. My dad is the one that brought me into VGs when I was 4 years old, but my mom never agreed with me playing them. She thought I'd turn into a moron...well she was correct in some way :p:, but anyways...[/COLOR]

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

My mom wouldn't care, unless I was blowing off school and work to play videogames. My dad is the one who got me into videogames in the first place when I was a kid. When I was about 9 he rented Final Fantasy II (IV) for the first time, and he introduced me to Soul Blazer and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest as well.

Posted by Speedfreak

My Dad basically bought himself a NES using my brother an I as an excuse.

We were restricted to playing on just weekends, because they thought it made us aggressive. In reality it was just my brother being an insanely poor loser and me being p[COLOR=lightgreen]i[/COLOR]ssed off by it, it happened with any game we'd play.

I'm convinced a playing a large variety of games leads to a more developed brain than people who don't play them at all, and they're far better for you than TV and books. I look at them as sports for the brain, you learn the exact same lessons from both of them. The only real difference is in what you're exercising.

Posted by TheSorrow

They dont really care what I play. I usually play lot of the Xbox360 now since I got an High Def tv but if i want to play something else I just go into another room and there is my wii, ps3, and xbox. So they dont really care how much I play,

Posted by WackoHater2

Mine don't care at all. They pay little to no attention to the fact that I play video games at all. Hell, my mom and dad are always taking my SP to play Tetris and sometimes I'll find my mom in my room playing Frogger on my PS2.

Posted by PunkRock Sonic

Quoting Panic: Mine don't care at all. They pay little to no attention to the fact that I play video games at all. Hell, my mom and dad are always taking my SP to play Tetris and sometimes I'll find my mom in my room playing Frogger on my PS2.

so is it a bad thing or a good thing?

Posted by WackoHater2

It's a good thing that they don't care. My main nagger Yamez is 17 (18 in April) and if his mom sees him playing a M rated game, she takes it and throws it out. He pays for most of them too. He just bought Gears of War. He payed a lot for it. If she sees it, that's like $50 down the drain. And my mom playing my PS2 doesn't bother me. The SP being gone all the time does though.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

My mom only cares if I see catches me playing with girly-looking games, like Animal Crossing and Pokémon. Otherwise, no.

Posted by Dexter

Some of the moms in this thread are not of the cool.

Wicked Sushi, I suggest you start acting gay around your mother or at least start playing with plushies and let her see you reading The Notebook.

Posted by bazariah

my parents are pretty much the sole reason i got into games in the first place

when i was 3 years old we went to the beach and during our time their we found a small arcade, inside of which was a donkey kong machine..

my dad basically just handed me a bunch of ten pence pieces and i just sat an played and found myself engrossed in the gameplay

my mum used to be the proud owner of an atari 2600 (in my possession since 1985).. she used to activly compete with neighbours in the game kaboom

so basically they encouraged me to play

they did get a little bit miffed when i started spending all my money buying up games left right and centre, and they couldnt understand the point of collecting, but they've allways been cool about what i did/do and as long as it isnt against the law they dont realy care too much