Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, or Final Fantasy for Dummies.. ?

Posted by Tyler Durden

I was randomly Wiki'searching up some old SNES titles, FF Mystic Quest seemed like a good act to follow into to. I own this game, personally I like it [somewhat, don't recall why] and feel that it had potential and may have just been aimed only at the younger audiences, but:

What the **** were they they thinking? Even producing a role playing game marketed towards average idiots and smucks not familiar to the genre.

Removing random encounters and battles? "Unlike all other Final Fantasy games, players cannot manually equip characters with weapons and armor. Instead, newly acquired weapons and armor replace the main character's current equipment", what the ****, where's the fun in that?

It's unsanitary, it's.. Just plain stupid. Any other opinions to coincide with, or against, this horrid title?

Posted by Angerion the Brave

I like Mystic Quest, BECAUSE its simple. It's not like playing it causes your copies of FFII and III to spontainiously combust, you can always play those when your ready to devote time and effort to a game. But if you're in a casual mood and/or a quick RPG play, FFMQ is great.

Another thing is that the music was great, there were many sub-par games that were saved by great music (in my books), Lagoon, Smart Ball, FFMQ.

My point is, yeah it may not be any Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy III or Soul Blazer, but it has its charms and could have been alot lot worse.

Posted by Orlandu

Yeah wasn't as bad as most think, but, it is very, very, very easy. The final boss could be put down in one attack. It's a good starter game for people new to the RPG community.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Mystic Quest was really fun, I thought. It wasn't challenging at all, but it was enjoyable to play through, and the fact that your selected weapon could interact with the environment was pretty neat (i.e. Axe can cut down treees, etc...)

I own it too, and I'd play through it again.

I think the purpose of releasing the game was to introduce the RPG to people unfamilar with it. If you give an action gamer a copy of Final Fantasy for the NES, they won't enjoy it. But there's a better chance they'd like a simpler game like Mystic Quest.

Posted by Desperado

being my very first RPG, I liked it

Posted by Angerion the Brave

They should release a Square/Enix retro classics game for one of the major consoles and have all the classics like Soul Blazer, Mystic Quest, Illusion of Gaia ect ect ect on it.:D

Posted by Zeta

I think SE prefers to pretend MQ doesn't exist. >_>

Though a Soul Blazer series collection would be ****ing awesome.

Posted by Sr. Arrogant Bastard

Mystic Quest is not a real Final Fantasy, the game was slapped with Final Fantsy on the title by the distribution company here in america so it would sell, in japan this game was known by another title, just here in america they wanted to sell more units.

giving that, i enjoyed the game, i actually played this game and beat it not to long ago again, i like the fact its different from everything else.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

I like MQ, but not as much as when I was a kid. Nowadays, I get bored of it fairly quickly.