FFXII Gambits

Posted by Fate

I'm curious as to how people play this game and how they set up their Gambits. Throughout every RPG I've ever played, I've been concerned with order, conservation, and keeping all characters up-- which definitely shows in my Gambit setup. I added a new function to my gameplay (after fighting with myself for being too conservative with my items and magic), which is boosting my characters for fighting.

I'll post my Gambits up after I see some setups of other players. So post!

Posted by Unite

hmm

usally have

warrior + sheilds:

attack same target = attack
flying monster = attack air (forgot the the name was a tech that allowed u to hit air units)
then bunch of status effects = esuna

healer had

drop below 60% = curaja
flying monster = flare
Dead = Aries
status effects = esunaga
attack same target = attack

used

aishe (controlled)
barcsh
penelo

Posted by Fate

I save the -aga/-aja spells for manual use, since I'm really into conserving magic. The Gambits run pretty much the same for each character, so here they are.

Vaan
1. Ally: status = KO > Arise (Reviving the fallen is most important!)
2. Ally: HP < 20 > Curaga (Curing the weak is important so they can continue to battle.)
3. Ally: status = Confuse > Smelling Salts (Confusion is a pain in the *** to deal with, so if it ever happens to my characters, they'll be taken care of immediately.)
4. Ally: status = Silence > Echo Herbs (You can't cure without magic! It wouldn't matter if I put this Gambit before my healing spells, since they rely on magic use.)
5. Ally: status = Blind > Eye Drops (I used to have Sight Unseeing instead of Eye Drops, but a lot of the time the move didn't work so I just decided to get rid of Blind instead.)
6. Foe: status = Reflect > Dispel (My other characters use the Shades of Black Technick, so Dispel is more important than any offensive spells cast. But attacking the foe is not more important to healing, which is why I put it slot 6.)
7. Foe = 100% > Steal (Only once per enemy. If I know the enemy has something good and I couldn't take it the first time, I do it manually. This is Vaan's unique ability.)
8. Foe: flying > Shades of Black (I'm waiting for Telekinesis, so that's a filler Gambit.)
9. Foe: highest max HP > Attack (So they attack automatically without me directing them. If I wanted to perform chains, I'd set the Gambit to "Foe: party leader's target".)
10. Self > Bubble (Doubles the HP. It's at the end because it uses a lot of magic. It is cast when I'm not in a battle, so if I ever run into something tough I'll be prepared. If it runs out during a battle, it won't recast because of the other Gambits, so I do a manual recast if necessary.)
11. Self > Haste (Keep him quick so he can perform his actions efficiently.)
12. Empty, since I'm still thinking about what to do with it.

Balthier

1. Ally: status = KO > Arise
2. Ally: HP < 20 > Curaga
3. Ally: status = Confuse > Smelling Salts
4. Ally: status = Silence > Echo Herbs
5. Ally: status = Blind > Eye Drops
6. Foe: status = Reflect > Dispel
7. Foe: HP >= 50,000 > Shades of Black (Over that number because I don't want to waste time when I fight lower enemies. Just attack if under 50,000.)
8. Foe: flying > Shades of Black
9. Foe: highest max HP > Attack
10. Self > Protectga (Protectga helps everyone in the party. Balthier is the only one in the group to have this ability set to his Gambits, so that's his unique contribution.)
11. Self > Haste
12. Empty

Fran

5. Ally: status = Poison > Antidote (The first two had Blind in this slot.)
7. Foe: HP >= 50,000 > Shades of Black
10. Self > Bravery (Fran has a strong weapon, so I need her hits to count the most.)
11. Self > Haste
12. Empty

Basch

5. Ally: status = Poison > Antidote
10. Self > Shellga (Magic resistance provided to all in the party. Very useful. It's also Basch's unique contribution to the group.)
11. Self > Haste
12. Empty

Ashe

4. Ally: status = Sap > Esuna (I don't use Esunaga unless two or more enemies are effected by status changes. Esunaga costs too much, so I reserve it for manual choice instead.)
5. Ally: status = Petrify > Stona (Don't need stones in the group. You don't gain EXP or LP during Stone, the end result of Petrify. I try to heal those with Petrify so they don't go into Stone.)
10. Self > Float (I use this one for fun because it makes all the characters hover. It has helped me out in some places, though.)
11. Self > Bubble
12. Empty

Penelo

4. Ally: status = Doom > Esuna (I actually don't know if Esuna works on Doom. I think it does. :( )
5. Ally: status = Disable > Esuna (Don't know if Esuna works on Disable, either. I don't want to use my Remedies because they're so hard to come by.)
7. Foe: HP >= 50,000 > Graviga (Takes away half the opponent's HP if successful. The problem? Most of the time it doesn't work. :mad: )
10. Self > Bravery
11. Ally : Ashe > Faith (This is in the testing stages. Apparently Faith augments someone else's magic, and since I hate Ashe, I figure using her as the guinea pig would be okay. If it does work, I'm leaving all offensive/defensive magic to Penelo and making Ashe into a tank.)
12. Empty

In my Gambit slots, you can probably see that my magic is used mostly for health purposes, minus my two mage-types Ashe and Penelo. I've kept in mind all the items I've gotten and I slotted them into the Gambits. I'm learning to release being a conservative with my items.
:)