Tying a tie

Posted by WackoHater2

There is a school dance on Saturday, and I bought a tie. Problem is, no one in my family knows how to tie one. I Googled how, and I can't get it down. Can anyone help?

Posted by Zeta

Return it and get a clip-on tie.

Posted by WackoHater2

That's the first thing I thought of, but I can't find any clip-ons that I like.

Posted by Sean Fury

******* Panic, I had the same exact problem. ONE of my friends can tie a tie and not a single person in my family (excluding my dead grandfathers) can. I just decided not to wear a tie to anything, I think it looks better.

Posted by WackoHater2

I got it. It's really easy once you get it down. I was crossing the thick end over too low.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Panic: I got it. It's really easy once you get it down. I was crossing the thick end over too low.

I tried to learn from watching Spongebob. How'd you figure it out?

Posted by WackoHater2

I searched "how to tie a tie" on Google and opened a random page. I followed the directions, and then I realized I was following them wrong. Like I said, the thicker part of the tie needs to be crossed over pretty close to your neck for it to work right.

Posted by Dexter

lol. Panic, you are so cute. ^_^

Put it around your neck, making the shorter side laying shorter on your chest, about halfway compared to the thicker end. Then you make two loops around the shoter end with the thicker end of the tie, making it tight as you go along. After that you pull the think end up through the noose thingy and carefully adjust it properly as you... whatever. Then you put the thick end through the second loop that you made and this would be easier in video form than in explanation form. :(

Posted by WackoHater2

It's alright Dexter, you pretty much explained it how they did on Google. I did it how you said. It's a pretty easy thing. A lot of people make it out to be a big deal, like I did before I learned how to do it.

Posted by Meftah

"I tried to learn from watching Spongebob. How'd you figure it out?"

what can't that yellow d00d do? :P XD

Posted by WackoHater2

Meftah, where do you get those things in your sig that say stuff like "XBOX OWNER"?

Posted by Dexter

I like your sig better. Keeps me informed.

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting Dexter: I like your sig better. Keeps me informed.

I do too.. but I've always liked those little banners.

Have you noticed that PS3 has been in the 300,000's forever!? Sony are selling very little systems.

Posted by Dexter

I have noticed that. I've been watching it closely ever since you put it in your sig. It's probably because they have not released many of them. Wii seems to be climbing at a decent pace.

Posted by WackoHater2

The Wii has slowed a little bit actually. At one point it went up 140,000 in two days.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I bet you tied the simple little idiot knot that looks like this:

real men use these:

Posted by NES Queen

i dont see a difference

Posted by Sean Fury

One is longer and more protruding than the other, the one on the bottom is tighter too.

Posted by Slade

Plus the upper one slants a bit to the side. But hey, we only do it to impress the ladies, and since NES Queen didn't notice the difference, it's all good. **** tying them the hard way, man.

Though I did have to do it all fancy for my brother's wedding. Those were seriously the coolest ties ever. I wish I could find a pic.

Posted by maian

lol I've been tying ties since I was 12. =/ It took me like, a day to get it perfect. It's really not hard.

Posted by Echo

Haha, I've never been able to tie a tie. The few times anyone has tried to teach me they have given up after a few minutes of me not getting it, and I've never tried to learn myself. Never really had a need, as I know plenty of people who know how to do it for me. I guess I should learn eventually, though.

Posted by Omni

Even I can figure out a tie. That surprises me sometimes...

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

The proper one is a windsor knot. The other one, as far as I know, is either a half-windsor, a 'schoolboy', or both.

Posted by Lord of Spam

half windsors are good enough to get you a proper triangle shape without being overly complicated.

Posted by Killer Jordo

I mass win at ties. Only one in my immediate family that can tie one.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I love how people who can tie ties seem to think they're awesome. We had to do them for school, for chrissakes.

Posted by Killer Jordo

I'm so ****ing awesome and you know it.

Lol.

Posted by WackoHater2

I'm using a 4 in hand knot or some crap.

Posted by Lord of Spam

noob knot

Posted by Kit

Quoting Killer Jordo: I'm so ****ing awesome and you know it.

I've had to tie a tie every day since September 2001, and have to keep going until July 2009 for school/sixth form. Then even longer depending on what job I'll end up with. You are not awesome for tying a tie.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Not 1337 enough LoS.

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting Lord of Spam: noob knot

Well, I am a noob when it comes to tying ties. Makes sense.

Posted by Hasta Flammeus

I'm pretty sure I don't know a single person who can't tie a neck tie properly... But rather than just point out you're all noobs, I'll add that my dad has a newspaper clipping somewhere about some scientists who worked out the best knot for tying a tie *Tries to find it when he goes home for Christmas on Friday*