Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Posted by Pit

Comes out tomorrow, but got my hands on the free ****. :cool:

Posted by Zeta

Vamp already has two copies. My rage is off the scale.

Gonna have to wait for Xmas... *Sob*

Posted by Pit

**** vamp. No one cars about that canadian.

Games comes out tomorrow, gonna Morris it up.

Posted by Shade

Just twenty days to go...

*mental breakdown*

Posted by Zeta

[quote=Koji Igarashi]20 years...wow! It sounds so long....

When the original castlevania was released, I was a university student and played this game at my senior's home because I had no money to purchase videogames.

In Portrait of Ruin, The main character uses a whip in consideration of Castlevania's 20th anniversery. and the game is designed for two simultaneous players as homage to Castlevania III: Dracula's curse. We placed a heavy emphasis on the battle with two players, so what you can not only switch between these two characters but you can also perform actions simultaneously as a key to the game.

My most unforgettable and memorable Castlevania project is Symphony of the Night. As all of you are aware, it was my first participation with Castlevania and my first title as a director. But then again, I'm scared that I'll find undiscovered bugs in the game so I don't ever go back and play it (laughs).

But, I would have to say that Castlevania III: Dracula's curse is my favorite Castlevania title of all time. What I love of all in this one is the composition of getting a feeling of thoughtfulness over the storyline and characters with only a handshake.

It has been 16 years since I joined the videogame industry and it has been about 10 years since I began working on the Castlevania series. Before Symphony of the Night, I remember myself being so jealous of the Castlevania team and I used to visit them a lot! I wish I could keep on working with the franchise as my life work, but then again, I need to educate my team staff members so that they could take over my role for the future...I would like to look towards next generation consoles while keeping space for handheld games at the same time.

I will keep on looking at the future of Castlevania and make sure the brand survives another 20 years.

So now, I feel very flattered and honored that I am the producer of the game series I had been longing to work on and also greeting the 20th anniversary of Castlevania. I am very happy that Portrait of Ruin is excellent not only for Castlevania fans but it is also easy for beginners to pick up and play and it should live up to your expectations.

Enjoy!
[quote=Ayami Kojima (Artist/Character designer)]

I was very fortunate to get to know Castlevania team members including Mr Igarashi and Ms Yamane, who opened a new world of experience for me.

One of the most enjoyable aspects with my involvement on the Castlevania series is that I was able to interact with many team members and work as a team and that I feel togetherness as we finish up the product.

I would like to thank once again all of the Castlevania team members that I was able to work with in this franchise and all the Castlevania fans and hope that Castlevania will be loved forever bringing new excitement all the time.
[quote=Michiru Yamane (Composer)]
Two years after I graduated from my university, I joined Konami and learned data input on Bloody Tears and Vampire Killer notes--Very well known classic Castlevania music. I was impressed by its wonderful melody lines as my supervisor taught me how to input music data.

My favorite Castlevania project was Vampire Killer for Mega Drive (a.k.a. Bloodlines for the Sega Genesis). It was my first title for the series ever and I was under a lot of pressure. I was also in charge of converting music to the real game engine and I was actually working on the sound effects at that time. I handled every aspect of the audio in the game. There were lots of sound effects at that time. I handled every aspect of the audio in the game. There were lots of sound effects I made for Symphony of the Night and I worked to edit tons of voice data. So these two titles are my unforgettable Castlevania projects for me. However now I am very pleased that many people were delighted with the results.

When I came to international media interviews for Lament of Innocence. I realized that there are many of Castlevania fans outside of Japan! I feel so refreshed every time I face fans' great anticipation and enthusiasm over the series. I feel very honored I am able to celebrate Castlevania's 20th anniversary.

For Portrait of Ruin we had a legendary music composer Mr Yuzo Koshiro on board with the series as a guest music composer. We noticed he was also a huge fan of the Castlevania series, and he took pleasure in creating music for us this time. I hope you will fully enjoy listening to his pungent songs at key points. It was such a precious and pleasurable moment to be able to work with Mr Koshiro. And it was such a great experience for me to learn his interpretation of Castlevania music through his music composition.

I hope all of you enjoy Portrait of Ruin.

Thought this would be an appropriate thread to put these in. :cookie:
(Credit goes to Lance123 of GameFAQs for transcribing these.)

Posted by Pit

testing out the co op mode, etc.

Posted by Ant

From what I've read of reviews is that it's good and all, just not quite as revolutionary as DoS. Is it worth a purchase right away? Can I live without it?!

Posted by Shade

No, you can't.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Games comes out tomorrow, gonna Morris it up.

Came out yesterday, nub. For once street date and ship date meant the same thing.

Quoted post: From what I've read of reviews is that it's good and all, just not quite as revolutionary as DoS. Is it worth a purchase right away? Can I live without it?!

... DoS... revolutionary? LOL

Posted by Shade

You know... with it's... touch-screen use? idk.

You mean breaking ice and writing annoying symbols? REVOLUTIONARY

Posted by Zeta

I still don't see what was so bad about the seal system. =/

Nothing. But it's not revolutionary. It was also a lame attempt at using the touchscreen. But it wasn't so bad.

Posted by Shade

Would you rather they not use the touch-screen?

I liked the seals. :(

Posted by Pit

PoR > DoS, must get, shoulda reserved to get free ****

Vamp, the date may have said yesterday, *******, but according to gamestop and any other retailer around here, thats the hsipping date, it doesn't get distributed till the next day etc

They might as well not have used the touchscreen. They only used it twice, and one of them was for breaking ice... which was only useful three times.

Quoted post: Vamp, the date may have said yesterday, *******, but according to gamestop and any other retailer around here, thats the hsipping date, it doesn't get distributed till the next day etc

walmart ftw then

But yeah, I know it comes a day later. lol i werkd at eb for a long time

Posted by Shade

WALMART SUCKS FOREVER.

Posted by Ant

BAD WORDING ON MY PART BOL. Revolutionary in the fact that it was the first Castlevania for the DS and pulled it off brilliantly for the most part? F[COLOR="Lime"]u[/COLOR]ck.

Posted by Shade

Whatever. Doesn't change the fact that WallMart is an evil corporate machine.

like every business lewl. Who cares about that **** as long as I get games early for cheap with a free copy thrown in.

Posted by Shade

Because I hate then, that's why.

and wtf they gave you a free copy

Posted by Zeta

Something tells me this thread is going to be primarily composed of Shade and I going "wtf I want this so bad" for the next few weeks.

Posted by Shade

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I want this game so bad for the next few weeks

Posted by Pit

I just beat the game.

Spoilers:

Soma Cruz IS Dracula.

Posted by Zeta

Wow. Way to ****ing ruin the game for me. I'll never play another Castlevania ever thanks to you.

Posted by Shade

lol aria of sorrow

Posted by Pit

but in all seriousness, already beat 3/5 games portraits or so they say, you know they probably have more, super duper secret ending etc

Posted by Zeta

Yeah, I've heard you go through "inverted" versions of the portraits. Not upside-down, but...

Posted by Pit

way to ****ing spoil it for me dickhead

Posted by Pit

Just got the bad ending. Now gotta re-do the battle so i can get into draculas throne, MUST'VE NOT EQUIPPED AN ITEM OR SOMETHING LOL RIGHT!?

*** I don't know what to do.

This time it's not really about equipping an item. Spoiler:

[spoiler]when you fight the sisters, don't defeat them. To get the best ending, you have to cure them.

You have to go to Egypt and get Sanctuary. Use that on them[/spoiler]

Posted by Pit

Vamp, if I told you how impossible that is, you wouldn't believe me, its so retarded how hard they made it.

Posted by Pit

Alright, did the deed. Onto the good ending and sidequests.

If you don't have this game, you like balls.

Posted by Zeta

I like the woman variety of balls.

How are the bosses in this? Are they piss easy (Looks at HoD), or do they actually put up a decent challenge?

Posted by Pit

So fgar, not impressed bosswise, but i did the easy portion of the game, so whateve, haven't fought them all. There wa at one time where i spammed attacks and the boss didn't even retaliate. Pathetic.

The bosses are pretty cool in my opinion. But the game isn't very challenging. It's actually pretty linear and doesn't feel very Metroid-y like past games.

But yeah, I'm glad they made the good ending harder to get. Just equipping a jewel is retarded.

Posted by Pit

k, second portion of game just got extremely retarded hard, and how does one master a technique, i went though all the trouble of getting 9 of the same attack, its not getting stronger like in DoS.

Posted by Zeta

Use the skill on an enemy, then kill them to gain Skill Points for the skill... I think. idk, that's what I've heard from lurking on various forums.

Posted by Pit

and I got my Alucard Spear after slaying hundreds of moldy corpses with the same ****ing javelin over and over.

Posted by Zeta

Killing 1000 Old Axe Armors would be more worth your time. Seriously, go do it.

Posted by Pit

Haha, yeah I know :(

I was doing it then said **** it. Was leveling my holy water to max since i used it alot in DoS for ground combos with Julius. Trying to [spoiler]beat the **** out of Richter so I can unlock the vampire killers true power so I can beat Death AND DRACULA at the same ****ing time[/spoiler]

Posted by Pit

1000.00% Map Completion
100% Sub-Weapon Completion, all subs mastered
100% Double Magic Completion
95.something weapon completion :(

Posted by GameMiestro

At first the co-op in this game seems cool. Then you realize that everybody on wi-fi sucks, and you have no hope of beating it with your idiotic partners. You also realize that you were not "clever" or "original" by trying to use the Nebula as your main weapon of choice. Blasted wi-fi... :(

Posted by Roger Smith

Use the Sword of Kings. Nebula is good because it homes in on your enemies, but it's weak once you find stronger weapons. I still use it though.

ALSO: When your casting spells with Charlotte, remember to hold the button down to charge your spells. I noticed a lot of people on Wi Fi didn't know that when they were controlling their Charlotte characters.

Posted by Pit

I rock at Wi-Fi. **** charlotte, equip jonathan with Vamp killer and an axe, magus ring, spam your special and throw axes and you're good.

Disappointed that you can't use anyone else on wifi but you can on wireless. Woulda loved to old axe armored it up.

Posted by GameMiestro

What are your boss rush times for this game? The one I'm most proud of is a 28.55 second run for Course 1 with Richter and Maria. :)

Posted by muffla

this is my first castlvaina game and i absoloutly love it , got it yesterday and have yet to try the wifi but if all castlevaina games are this good i think they got a new fanboy

Posted by Pit

Quoting muffla: this is my first castlvaina game and i absoloutly love it , got it yesterday and have yet to try the wifi but if all castlevaina games are this good i think they got a new fanboy

they're actually better. PoR is great, but it lacks difficulty and the levl design, though a huge castle, too me wasn't as agood as Symphony of the Night, or Dawn of Sorrow. You should also Play aria of sorrow on GBA as well as Harmony of Dissonance and Circle of the Moon.

Posted by Shade

Aria of Sorrow is far better than DoS or PoR in terms of difficulty.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Shade32: Aria of Sorrow is far better than DoS or PoR in terms of difficulty.

yeah not really, that games bosses were ****ing easy, castlewise it was harder, but boss wise, DoS was harder. ****ing gergoth

Posted by Shade

Gergoth was the only hard part of DoS. **** I wish I could've had 1000 Blades for that battle.

I stand by my point, though. AoS was harder than both. Death was a lot harder than in DoS.

Posted by GameMiestro

Forget the vampire whip- the Illusion Fist owns all. If I had 9999999 gold, I'd use the Miser Ring too...

Posted by Zeta

Short-range weapons suck.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Zeta;530398]Short-range weapons suck.

Not when they do 10 bazillion damage every two seconds!

Honestly, though, anyone serious about doing a speed run in that game uses the Illusion Fist+Berserker Mail+Miser Ring+Hercules Ring+Winged Boots, with Charlotte casting Speed Up the whole time. I thought I was so original until I looked on google and discovered everyone else was using that exact strategy and doing a heck of a lot better job with it (18 second speed runs for Boss Rush 1? Crazy...)

Posted by muffla

im stuck i just beat the egyptian boss and got the stregnth to push heavy things, but i still cant push heavy things is there a button i need to hit or a combo?

just to make shure you can push the tings wiht the green outline right?

Posted by Zeta

Both characters need to be out to push things. And yeah, the objects with green outlines are pushable.

DO YOU NOT READ THE ****ING POPUPS THAT EXPLAIN THIS ****?

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Shade32: Aria of Sorrow is far better than DoS or PoR in terms of difficulty.

I didn't find AoS hard at all.
=/
Maybe cause it was the only one I ever played except the original Castle.

Posted by Zeta

In terms of difficulty.

CotM Shooter Mode > PoR Hard Mode > All other Castleroids.