StarTropics

Posted by Proto Man

I have to say, this is one of the most underrated games of all time. Even on the small scale NES level, everyone talks up LoZ, SMB series, and Final Fantasy, but you rarely hear a thing about Star Tropics. I never new the game existed till a couple years ago! I was lucky to aquire the game with the original box, manual, and letter from the uncle still in good shape! It even came with the original Nintendo Power subscription offer.

I have had nothing but good times with this game. Currently my little brother and I are neck in neck to see who can beat it first! He is at Chapter 7 and I am one chapter behind!

Oh and Dexter, this means I am ahead of you :p: I figured out the piano.

One thing I have found out about this game, there is a lot of repetitiveness involved. It took me an hour or so to play through Chapter 5, because it took me a while to figure out the Piano, and then once I got into the cave, I had to play through it a while before I got down pat what I needed to do to get through! Thing is though, I didn't find it getting old at any point. The only reason I stop at any point is to take a break out of frustration because after I play for a long time, I make stupid mistakes.

Saturday I was back at Chapter 3, and was determined to catch up to my brother who was 3 chapters ahead of me! So I played it all afternoon. Well after a while I just start slipping and doing stupid stuff, even though I had the plan to win clearly in mind.

I can't wait till I get back to my Dad's, that is where my NES is. Although I suppose I could get around to fixing up this NES I have in my closet, and then play it here. ^_^

Posted by Zeta

Best NES game ever. They really need to bring this series back. Hell, Wind Waker could have been a StarTropics game, kinda. >_>

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Zeta: Best NES game ever. They really need to bring this series back. Hell, Wind Waker could have been a StarTropics game, kinda. >_>

It actually could have been! In fact, as great as the LoZ series is, and as good as a game Wind Waker is, I believe the whole "cell shading" stuff used on that game could have been better used in Star Tropics. It would have breathed new life into the series. Or, what would be even better, is if they revive the series on DS.

Posted by Momentum

Without question the best NES game ever, IMO. Possibly the most underrated game in all gaming. I've found time to regularly complete this game over the years because I love it so much. A next-gen continuation of this series would be the sole reason for me to get a Wii. I fear Nintendo has completely forgotten this series...

Later

Posted by rivercitytecmo

i don't know if you've played it yet, startropics 2 is an awesome game too. it's a little easier than the first one, if you ask me, but it's still one of the best made games on the nes in all capacities (storyline, gameplay, graphics, etc.).

Posted by Proto Man

Yes, I aim to get Zoda's Revenge next. I doubt though I will have such luck as I did getting the first one (with all the stuff).

Posted by Dexter

I got the 2nd one, but I've yet to even finish the first. I'm still stuck at that spot where you have the play the piano properly to open up some door or something. I was sure I was doing it right, but I've been unsuccessful so far.

I'll get to it soon enough. I won't touch the 2nd until I finish the first, although the temptation to just check it out is often overwhelming.

And I think of Momentum every time I play it. ^_^

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Proto Man: Yes, I aim to get Zoda's Revenge next. I doubt though I will have such luck as I did getting the first one (with all the stuff).

don't be too sure of that, sometimes you get lucky on ebay. i remember i got "zoda's revenge" and another game (i want to say it was one of the jeopardy games, but i know i'm wrong) off ebay for $1 total a few years back. both were complete and in amazing condition. just keep hunting around.

Posted by Tyler Durden

I need to get on the ball. I've owned both titles for atleast a few years now, and have barely made any attempt past the opening screens..