The Wonders of Mud Lane (images)

Posted by Raptor

It is one of the most beautiful, uplifting places on this tropical rock. And yet another one of Hawaii's ridiculously underrated treasures.

It's just my kind of place, really. Basically, it's a long track, some of it driveable by standard automobiles, which leads from the mountains all the way straight down to the verdant sea cliffs. The upper, more accessible part just outside the mountain town of Waimea is one of my favourite places to stop and wander around. The road cuts between a pasture and a golf course near the beginning, but is lined with lush and colourful tropical underbrush and tall trees that form a majestic tunnel. It is obscured in dense fog more often than not, and the route lives up to its name. The mud puddles never dry up, and when it's raining, several rivulets of cool, mucky water meander down the muddy road.

I just enjoyed myself up there a couple days ago, taking a long walk along the road and stomping in the puddles and little streams. The fog-drenched atmosphere was so invigorating and enchanting, especially in the clearings. There is *nothing* like a tropical mountain on a beautiful afternoon. For a nature freak like me, anyways.

Posted by Kamek

The third picture is absolutely amazing.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Things like that are the sole reason I'm sorta bummed about getting stationed in guam vs hawaii. fortunately i know a fair number of people that ARE stationed there, so chances are on my off time i'll hit it up when i can.

after i explore all that there is in guam, of course :)