Metroid II Return of Samus

Posted by GameMiestro

This is one of the first video games I ever played, so when I finally got my hands on a copy of this game a few days ago, it was rather nostalgic. I finally beat the game today, too. Looking back, I think this is the most influential (for the series) Metroid game ever made. If you've never played it, here's a couple of the things it contributed to the series-

-Spider Ball
-Space Jump
-Spazer Beam(wide beam)
-Samus' image and design used to this day
-The evolutionary line of Metroids
-Plasma Beam
-Spring Ball
-A huge amount of technical and graphical improvements. There is no way that Queen Metroid battle could have possibly been programmed on the NES.

I really recommend getting this game. Even today, it's still a blast- plus, anyone familiar with Metroid Fusion or Zero Mission will instantly see some similarities between those games and Metroid 2 (such as the bug hives in Zero Mission and the Arachnid in Fusion).

On a final note, the Omega Metroids in Metroid 2 look nothing like the one in Fusion. Omega Metroids are supposed to fly around and shoot fireballs, not slash you with their hands!

Posted by Zeta

When I was younger I had the game and managed to get up to the Metroid Queen, but then I lost the game. ='(

Really wish Nintendo would do a remake.

Posted by GameMiestro

Metroid Queen is awesome. I love how when you're a few pixels from the Queen Metroid's face, you can shoot missles ridiculously fast... I've shot as many as 50 missles at the beast when it lunges with it's mouth open.

Not that hard of a battle once you get used to it...

Posted by Slade

I've only seen the game once or twice in run-down game trade-in stores that are out of business now. I wish I would have picked it up. Now I'll have to buy a GBC or something to play it on if I ever get my hands on it. Well, it'd be worth it, I'm assuming.

Posted by inequity

Yeah, I've only seen this game a few times as well. Each time I would have bought it but it always went for like, 15+ dollars.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote]Yeah, I've only seen this game a few times as well. Each time I would have bought it but it always went for like, 15+ dollars.
[quote]I've only seen the game once or twice in run-down game trade-in stores that are out of business now. I wish I would have picked it up. Now I'll have to buy a GBC or something to play it on if I ever get my hands on it. Well, it'd be worth it, I'm assuming.

Bummer, good luck on a cheaper copy. Or a copy of Metroid II period. I've practically had two copies handed to me for nothing.