Santa and your kids

Posted by WackoHater2

When and if you have kids, are you going to tell them that there is a Santa, or not? I am gonna tell mine that there isn't. There is no reason to lie to them. Discuss.

EDIT: For "Maybe" on the poll, I meant "Not sure" or "Undecided"

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Absolutely. Depriving a children of their imagination and wonder can only be a bad thing in the long run.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yes. I mean, why wouldn't I?

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting Wings: Absolutely. Depriving a children of their imagination and wonder can only be a bad thing in the long run.

You don't gotta take their imagination. I love kids with imagination. But I don't think you should lie to your kids, and this is by far one of the biggest lies you can tell them.

Posted by Omni

Well, I haven't decided yet, but I probably will tell them he exists, because it's more fun. Plus, I want them to have more reasons to behave, because we all know nobody listens to me. I also think there's a difference between lying and telling them Santa Claus is real.

The new poll should be, "Do you believe in Santa Claus?"

Posted by Dexter

I'm always messing around with kids, so I'm sure I'll go with the Santa thing forever. I'm going to be Ed Bloom with my kids.

Posted by Omni

Wait....I mean....Santa Claus is real! Right?! My dreams are shattered forever. Ah, I'll get over it.

Quoted post: But I don't think you should lie to your kids, and this is by far one of the biggest lies you can tell them.

Yeah, and look at the horrible effects it has had on so many generations. :rolleyes: Kids love the idea of a Santa, why take it away from them? Especially when every other kid around them will be experiencing it.

Posted by Speedfreak

I think you should lie to your kids. Their minds aren't ready to handle the many truths of the world all at once.

Posted by G-Sides

what are we going to tell them after the arctic melts away :(

Posted by Omni

We can tell them he lives in outer space.

Posted by KoH

[quote=Speedfreak]I think you should lie to your kids. Their minds aren't ready to handle the many truths of the world all at once.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Let them have their innocence.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Panic: You don't gotta take their imagination. I love kids with imagination. But I don't think you should lie to your kids, and this is by far one of the biggest lies you can tell them.

Oh please. It's not like saying, "kids, your mom passed away when you were born" when in reality they're all the offspring of different prostitutes.

Of course I'm gonna tell me kids there's a Santa. I mean, come on, it's ****ing SANTA.

Posted by Pit

you wouldn't tell your kids santa exists? what kind of a monster are you

Panic, before i made fun of you for being fat and very unnattractive, but now, you're just a monster.

Posted by Iris

Of course I'll let them believe in Santa. I hope to keep it an ongoing joke for their whole lives. They shouldn't mind.

As for lying to children, I enjoyed the idea of Santa while I was young. I'd like the holidays to seem magical and be more than "another birthday?" for them. If they have a grudge against me in their late thirties for lying about Santa then I'd seriously consider disowning them.

Posted by KoH

[quote=Pit]you wouldn't tell your kids santa exists? what kind of a monster are you

Panic, before i made fun of you for being fat and very unnattractive, but now, you're just a monster.

That was quite funny. Props to Pit.

Quoted post: Of course they can believe in Santa. I hope to keep it an ongoing joke for their whole lives.

"Remember that time you believe in a fat man in red who delivered presents to bad kids? Man, were you an idiot or what?"

Posted by Iris

Gonna send my kids into a mid-life crisis. :cool:

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Hell no. I need a better reason to do something than "lawlz com on every1 duz it". I have no good reason to. If I never was told there was a Santa as a kid, I would be no worse off for the wear. It's unnecessary.

Posted by Shade

It's more fun for kids to see what Santa brought them Christmas morning instead what their parents got them. Like Iris said, that'd make it like another birthday. It's also unnecessary to NOT tell them about Santa.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Wings: Absolutely. Depriving a children of their imagination and wonder can only be a bad thing in the long run.

Agreed. They can go through the horror of finding out he isn't real like a normal child.

Quoting Shade32: It's more fun for kids to see what Santa brought them Christmas morning instead what their parents got them. Like Iris said, that'd make it like another birthday. It's also unnecessary to NOT tell them about Santa.

If kids never get told that Santa is real, then they don't know what they're missing if it was the other way around, so it wouldn't be "more fun". Kids don't care who got them what. It's WHAT they got that they care about. When I got my SNES for Christmas in second grade, I didn't care if Santa got it for me or my parents, because it was a freakin' SNES! I don't even remember to this day who was written on the "From:".

Posted by Pit

if you tell them santa exists then you have to tell them *** exists, thats the catch.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Captain Cleanoff: If kids never get told that Santa is real, then they don't know what they're missing if it was the other way around, so it wouldn't be "more fun".

It's a thing called school. They'd eventually hear about Santa.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Shade32: It's a thing called school. They'd eventually hear about Santa.

That, and the fat guy in a red suit in half of the advertisements aired around Christmas.

Posted by mis0

It was fun as a kid. You know, doing up the tree, baking cookies, making a wish list, etc. I don't want to deprive my children of that if I have any.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I'm going to tell them that a Moogle, Pedo Bear, and a giant demon bring them gifts and that Santa is a fat rapist.

No, really. I am.

Posted by Zeta

Moogles celebrate Kwanzaa. :(

Kupowanzaa, to be precise.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Not Monteblanc. He converted.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Sapphire Rose: I'm going to tell them that a Moogle, Pedo Bear, and a giant demon bring them gifts and that Santa is a fat rapist.

No, really. I am.

You alone are the reason white Christian America tries to keep gays from adopting children. Just look at the horrors you plant to infuse into their tiny and feeble minds!

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Not really horrors. They'll learn that even demons can be nice. Not to judge a book by its cover. And though Pedo Bear is a bit whack, he's still cute on the outside, and the one you really got to be careful of. And Monteblanc the Moogle is sweet and cute. I'm showing them all sides of the spectrum in the largest holiday. This way they keep the imagination, learn, and have fun all at once.

Posted by Linko_16

I've imagined the ways in which I might father my children, and although I'd like to introduce the idea of Santa Claus to them, it doesn't really mesh well with the other ways I'd mentor 'em... so they may figure it out themselves pretty quick.

That's kind of how it was with me. While I went through the motions as a kid and followed him as a symbol, I don't ever remember truly believing the existance of Santa Claus, not because anyone told me otherwise but because I recognized the concept as impossible more or less from the beginning.

Posted by Raptor

Believing that fairy tails are real is one of the best things about being a child.

I was much more devastated to discover that the easter bunny wasn't real. I honestly didn't care much at all that there wasn't really a morbidly obese old man with a beard breaking and entering the houses of millions of children. Even more traumatizing to me was the image of Santa's whip and eight poor reindeer in bondage. The easter bunny always seemed so innocent in contrast. Santa or no Santa, I kept finding Lego sets under the tree either way.

Posted by Linko_16

I can't even tell when you're kidding or being serious anymore.

Posted by christinadeenadee

I was raised with the whole Santa bit, but when I entered kindergarten, I learned he wasn't real. True, there is no man in a red suit; but there is always going to be that bit a sparkle at Christmas time because so many do believe in Santa. In my opinion, it's what makes Christmas have that magical feeling.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Pit: if you tell them santa exists then you have to tell them *** exists

What? Why would you have to do that? :confused:

Quoted post: In my opinion, it's what makes Christmas have that magical feeling.

I don't think Santa has anything to do with the magical feelings I get around Christmas time (Christmas Spirit?). I think it has more to do with nostalgic matters and the way I tend to act and think. I tend to be more courageous towards people and generous towards myself and others, as well as more motivated to chase after my dreams and attain my aspirations. I become more social and less hostile, more relaxed and less organized. If organization gets chaotic and schedules become higgledy-piggledy, it doesn't tend to bother me at all.

Quoted post: Kids don't care who got them what.

Have you seen a kid around christmas? You're honestly telling me they don't care about the fact that Santa's coming? Obviously a large part is the fact he's bringing toys, but good lord... kids absolutely adore the idea of a Santa. They totally care who got them what.

Also, you're all forgetting a reason why parents use the Santa thing: to make kids behave. That's a pretty huge reason right there to use him. It's an easy way to threaten them into behaving for a good three months straight.

Posted by Dexter

True, I was able to control/manipulate my nephews for so long with that move. It was so much fun, but then they get their hopes up and I usually get worried.

Posted by Average n00b

Hah, I always say this to my parents:
If you teach children not to lie..Then why lie to them about a fat guy breaking in your house (Which is against the law) and expect that you'd forgive him buy giving you presents. ALSO, you teach kids not to talk to strangers, nor take candy from them, but parents let kids sit on this fat guy's lap and this guy gives these kids some candy.
--

But..I guess it gives them hope and joy to christmas, I'm still debating against and for it.

Saying you're lying to your kids when using Santa, or whatever the **** Av.Noob was talking about with the strangers thing, is easily the most retarded thing I have ever heard. If not the most hypocritical thing ever said. Seriously, if you honestly think you'll have a completely open relationship with your kids where they won't lie to you and you will never lie to them... oh man, I can't wait. You're going to lie, and they are going to lie even worse. Santa is nothing but a drop in the lake. A very **** good one at that.

Plus, saying Santa exists isn't a lie. You're adding to their childhood and giving them an experience that will completely envelope them every year for a good solid three months. It does a ton more good than bad.

Posted by Average n00b

xD Read what I said under it. I want kids to have joy and hope for christmas, I'm not that mean.

Posted by maian

I've bol'd approximately nine times in this thread.

To answer the question, of course. It's ridiculous to deprive your kid of that. One of the biggest joys of Christmas was always Santa. I almost believed he were still real, so Christmas would hold the same amount of excitement and magic as it did as a kid. My three cousins, my sister and I would always sleep on my massive bunkbed as a kid, just anticipating the next morning all night on Christmas Eve. We would always try to sleep, but we wouldn't be able to from our excitement. On the other hand, if we were awake, Santa wouldn't come!

Also, we were always frustrated at our neighbors across our street. Since their upstairs light was always on, we figured Santa would never come, since they were awake. Then their was everything that came before that. It was always great fun writing a huge Christmas list to Santa and mailing it, knowing he'd receive it at the North Pole. I always wanted to be more good, and it was just fantastic.

Santa was truly a huge part of Christmas, and made the whole wait much more fun and exciting. I truly do wish I still could have that magic when anticipating Christmas. And yes, kids do care who they got presents from. Getting a new N64 from my parents, and getting a new N64 from Santa would be completely different.

It would truly be a crime to tell the truth about Santa to my kids. It ruins so much fun, and spoils much imagination for the kid. And, what'll they think when they're at school, and every other kid believes in him? What about Santa, who appears so much in the media? If you grew up believing in Santa, it's a lot easier to find reason why he's even in the media, since he only appears to kids. If you never believed in him at all, the idea of Santa will just always seem ridiculous.

Quoted post: xD Read what I said under it. I want kids to have joy and hope for christmas, I'm not that mean.

Spoilers: that wasn't directed towards you, except for the strangers thing because that was just dumb. Just a general statement that was sparked by your post.

Posted by Average n00b

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Spoilers: that wasn't directed towards you, except for the strangers thing because that was just dumb. Just a general statement that was sparked by your post.

XD I say the strangers thing to **** of my parents at Disney world. My sister has two neices. I don't tell them that santa doesn't exist, that'd make me both a terrible aunt and sister. I basically pretend to get all excited for them.

Posted by junior senior

ill tell them so they won't go looking for presents but i doubt my kids will live past their first birthday cuz ill forget about them loL!

[quote=Vampiro]Have you seen a kid around christmas? You're honestly telling me they don't care about the fact that Santa's coming? Obviously a large part is the fact he's bringing toys, but good lord... kids absolutely adore the idea of a Santa. They totally care who got them what.

You have it backwards. They only care that Santa is coming because Santa is bringing presents. If Santa weren't bringing gifts they wouldn't give a crap.

[quote=Vampiro]Also, you're all forgetting a reason why parents use the Santa thing: to make kids behave. That's a pretty huge reason right there to use him. It's an easy way to threaten them into behaving for a good three months straight.

My belt is just as good of a threat as Santa Claus :-*

I had my image of Santa smashed just today. I met a guy at the tram stop who'd been in a grotto dressed up for twelve hours, and he was as disgruntled and surly as any random hobo.

Posted by Linkman

Of course I'd tell them about Santa Claus. ANYONE who can remember being a kid remembers how much fun it was believing in things that didn't seem possible, but some how made you believe anyway. Everything from Santa Claus to the Tooth Fairy. To want to deprive your children of that is just sad. They do reach a point where they just don't care to find out he isn't real. The fact that they still receive gifts on Christmas greatly cushions the emotion impact; at least it does for most. I remember being in 5th grade, sitting at a table at lunch around Christmas time. There was one girl I knew who still believed in Santa. Basically everyone around drilled the fact that Santa wasn't real into her until she cried. :(

Quoting Raptor: I was much more devastated to discover that the easter bunny wasn't real. I honestly didn't care much at all that there wasn't really a morbidly obese old man with a beard breaking and entering the houses of millions of children. Even more traumatizing to me was the image of Santa's whip and eight poor reindeer in bondage. The easter bunny always seemed so innocent in contrast.

Finding out the true "King of Cosplay" doesn't exist? How devastating.. Spoken like a true furry. :(

Quoting Raptor: Santa or no Santa, I kept finding Lego sets under the tree either way.

That about spells it out for me. Legos and K'Nex.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Linko_16: I can't even tell when you're kidding or being serious anymore.

I am serious 100% of the time I'm being serious.

Posted by Arwon

Assuming I have kids, I'm certainly not going to tell them there is a G*d, but I'm undecided about Santa Claus. Maybe I'll make up my own story about how Jesus comes and gives you presents if you're good and takes your teeth if you're bad. Or I could take the Parking Lot is Full webcomic approach and tell them Santa is a giant black spider and that's why you can't stay up and see him.

It doesn't matter if they never believe, because as someone said they don't know what they're missing. For me, the main worry is that I wouldn't really want my kid to be that jerk who goes around telling the other kids at school that there's no Santa Claus and upsetting them.

Posted by Dexter

I tend to lie often to children. They are just so gullible and I have so much fun with them. I'm sure I'll do the same thing with my children.

Posted by christinadeenadee

Quoting Dexter: I tend to lie often to children. They are just so gullible and I have so much fun with them. I'm sure I'll do the same thing with my children.

but what will you tell them when they figure out you are lying to them?

Posted by Dexter

pfft. They won't care. It won't be about anything serious. I lie to my nieces and nephews all the time and when they grow up and finally learn the truth, they just laugh about it. They'll be like 'remember when you told me that Mieu was a real pet you once had? I can't believe I fell for that. Boy, was I dumb! You are so mean for finding amusement in my gullibility and ignorance.' The lies are usually so exaggerated and preposterous, the only person they could really be mad at is themselves for falling for them. I fell for a few myself growing up. Good times.

Quoted post: You have it backwards. They only care that Santa is coming because Santa is bringing presents. If Santa weren't bringing gifts they wouldn't give a crap.

Nah. Look at a kid who believes in Santa and then look at one who doesn't. Completely different experience leading up to christmas day.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I'll probably never have kids, but if I was to have some, I'd give them some magic and make them believe in Santa. [/COLOR]

Posted by Omni

Quoting Xero: [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I'll probably never have kids. [/COLOR]

Why? Also, Santa totally is real. I saw him at the mall, and again when he was helping the Salvation Army.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Why I'll probably never have kids? Well seeing as I'm gay...

Edit: Could adopt one...[/COLOR]

Posted by ExoXile

Of course!

I've seen him, he's real.

[spoiler]Also, what kind of idiot wouldn't tell their kids that Santa exists? That's like, messes up their christmas.
Unforgivable![/spoiler]

It's your dad in a red gown with spoons in his pocket.

Posted by Zeta

Nah, his moms the one that dresses up as Santa.

Oh wow! I just remembered I had an image on my hard drive of an old would-be girlfriend who sent me a photo of her in a Santa dress. I wonder if I still have it.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Wings: It's your dad in a red gown with spoons in his pocket.

[quote]Nah, his moms the one that dresses up as Santa.

You both lie! :(

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoted post: My belt is just as good of a threat as Santa Claus :-*

Except studies show that parents who use Santa rather then belts most likely don't end up in abusive nursing homes.

Karma's a Bitc[COLOR="White"]h[/COLOR]:-D

Posted by Ch

My mother told me there was no Santa as a kid. It didn't make me behave a certain way or anything. Just a waste of time.

[QUOTE=Ch

Posted by Killer Jordo

Say it's Christmas, and your kid is 6. Now when he's 26 he's not going to have the toys that he got that day. He's going to have the memory, the joy of Santa bringing him the perfect gift.

Quoted post: Say it's Christmas, and your kid is 6. Now when he's 26 he's not going to have the toys that he got that day. He's going to have the memory, the joy of Santa bringing him the perfect gift.

you're stupid

Posted by Xero

Quoting Killer Jordo: Say it's Christmas, and your kid is 6. Now when he's 26 he's not going to have the toys that he got that day. He's going to have the memory, the joy of Santa bringing him the perfect gift.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]huh...no... 0_o[/COLOR]

Posted by Arwon

No. Quite.

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting Killer Jordo: Say it's Christmas, and your kid is 6. Now when he's 26 he's not going to have the toys that he got that day. He's going to have the memory, the joy of Santa bringing him the perfect gift.

Let's say I'm 7. I'm not gonna remember a damn thing I got that year. Now I'm 17, and I know better then to believe in such things as Santa. I still don't remember my 7th Christmas. I had stopped believing in Santa by my 7th Christmas, and even though I don't remember what I got, and I knew Santa didn't bring them, I know I was having a hell of a time playing with the bangin' toys I got.

Posted by Trigger

Do you really think it will be me who informs my children of a jolly fat man who likes to make little kids happy annually with gifts? There's advertising, mall activities that involve people dressed as Santa, etc that they'll figure out for themselves. Even if I denied that Santa was real, do you think they would believe me when they have their own "proof"? It's not parents lying to people, these days, it's the market. Anything to sell something...

Posted by Omni

Commercialism always ruins classic cultural icons and those special days of the year.

Posted by Slade

Like Trigger, I figure my kids will believe in Santa no matter what. I remember when I found out there wasn't a Santa Claus. My brother started making fun of me, and I just walked around confusedly asking everyone if there was one or not. Sure, I was torn up for a little bit, but then very soon we opened presents and I had completely forgotten it ever mattered.

So I know that my kids will believe in Santa, but I kind of hope that they find out he isn't real around Christmas time so the gifts they get keep their minds off it.

Posted by Arcadios

There's no doubt in my mind that I won't tell me kids about Santa.
I saw some kids today at the mall and they were so excited and they had a priceless look on there friends.
Reminded me of the joys when I believed in Santa as a kid.

Quoted post: There's no doubt in my mind that I won't tell me kids about Santa.

So you're not going to tell them?

Posted by Arcadios

****. :(
Too lazy to Mario it.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Herrre we gooooo!

Arc...will you make your kids believe in Mario?[/COLOR]

I can actually do a fairly passable Mario impression. I think I may substitute him for Santa Claus for my children. I mean, essentially, they're both fat blokes with red clothing and bad facial hair.

Except Mario kills and Santa gives presents.

Posted by Philsdad

I remember one time I was about 4 or 5, and I was doing something to really tick my parents off, though I can't really remember what. What I DO remember however is that my dad had one of his friends call our house pretending to be Santa Claus (of course I didn't know that at the time.) I just remember the phone ringing, and my dad saying it was Santa and that he wanted to talk to me. So me, being the naive 4 year old I was, got on the phone with Santa who informed me he knew that I was misbehaving. Boy, did I shape up fast that day. Other than that, pretty much every memory of Santa I have from being a kid is golden, and I'll remember those forever. Of course I found out later he wasn't real, and I wasn't "crushed" or let down, finding out the truth about things is part of growing up. So yeah, if I ever do have kids one day, I would definitely tell them about Santa.

Haha, that's awesome.

NASA has a site up on Christmas each year that lets you track where Santa is during the night. It works really well, and my nephews always stay up to watch him start his journey.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Except Mario kills and Santa gives presents.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]What's wrong with killing..err..jumping on bad little mushrooms and bad turtles? Kids enjoy it anyway ;)[/COLOR]

I'm going to tell my kids that if they want to grow up big and strong, they'd better be good at Christmas, because then Mario will fly in on a Koopa Troopa-drawn sled and put a 1up mushroom in their stockings. If they're bad they'll get Poison mushrooms and become midgets.

Posted by ExoXile

I'd be bad for the reason of going midget alone.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Wings: I'm going to tell my kids that if they want to grow up big and strong, they'd better be good at Christmas, because then Mario will fly in on a Koopa Troopa-drawn sled and put a 1up mushroom in their stockings. If they're bad they'll get Poison mushrooms and become midgets.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]XD good one.

What about bowser? [/COLOR]

Bowser is Jack Frost. He steals warmth and princesses.

Posted by Zeta

Chilly Willy is Freezemeiser and Chili Billi is Heatmeiser...

...OH SHI-! WRONG GAME SERIES!

Posted by Iris

Instead of a Christmas tree you could have some weird bush with dots or a warp pipe.

piranha plant, that'll keep the little ****ers from opening their presents too early.

Posted by Zeta

A Pianta if you're some faggot that lives in a tropical region.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I picture the star on the top of the pyrana flower :)

+1 Christmas spirit :)[/COLOR]

Posted by Skitzo Control

Telling my child(ren) about Santa wouldn't be an issue. Television, music, teachers, and other children would do it for me. My biggest problem will be explaining to my four-year-old why I beat the crap out of Santa after he/she told me that his/her leg hurt after sitting on Santa's lap from the big candy cane in his pocket.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Zeta: A Pianta if you're some faggot that lives in a tropical region.

Piantas have trees on their heads.

They put Christmas presents under their noses.

Posted by Zeta

What a coincidence. So do I.

Posted by protomanv4

I'd say no because my parents never told me about santa and i never got a present from santa. I think i saw this from South park talking about the tooth fairy is not real, when I lost a tooth a few years ago and put it under the bed I didn't get money, so I woudent tell my children that Santa is real. I guess if they or He/she ask me ill just say what I forgot who said it from South Park was it Kyle's dad or Cartman's mother?

... what the **** did you just say? **** you, go back to school.

Posted by The Judge

Expect a response like this:

**** u man u dont no me and what the hell are u talkin about im just as smart as everyone else here man ur a ****ing idiot go **** urself gay guy i bet ur gay arnt u ****ing faggot i bet ur just sum stupid fat kid get a life u loser

Posted by Trigger

Santa is wiggidy whack, yo!