Why is Goldeneye better than Perfect Dark?

Posted by maian

Alright, time to start an argument. I honestly have no idea why so many people think Goldeneye is such a better game than Perfect Dark. :( Yes, it IS classic, but better? No. Not in my opinion, at least.

Perfect Dark is faster, has a lot more weapons, a much more engaging single player mode, the ability to use Sims, character customization, and freakin' awesome multiplayer.

Defend now.

Posted by Dexter

I can understand why people think Perfect Dark is better. I thought the same for the first couple years after the release of Perfect Dark. Now, however, I find myself playing Goldeneye far more and I started asking myself why that was. I couldn't really figure it out.

It might be that Perfect Dark was just too much for the Nintendo 64 to handle. In multiplayer, with all the sims, the frame rate seems to get all wacky. I find the game too fast, too. At least when playing multiplayer and compared to Goldeneye. I often prefer to play it with slow motion on.

It might just come down to the single-player mode and the level design. The levels in Goldeneye are so much fun and designed so well. I can play single player for hours. It has the most replay value out of any game I've ever experienced. Even in Perfect Dark's multiplayer I'm always choosing the Goldeneye levels, such as Complex and Temple. Single Player in Perfect Dark sucks. It was fun the first time through but most of the levels are dull to go back to. The snow level and that mansion level are the best, but they're still boring compared to the levels in Goldeneye.

Also, does anyone else have a Perfect #1 rank in Perfect Dark? :cool:

Posted by Sean Fury

I tried playing Perfect Dark on the 64 and almost cried. I hated it. I don't know what about it, the levels, the freedom in an FPS, the training crap, I have no idea, it was just a ton of **** thrown together than generally ticked me off.

GoldenEye forever.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

There's no comparison. Goldeneye is just better in every way. I think people want to remember PD as a great game, when it really wasn't all that fantastic.

Posted by Vasioth

I know where your going with this. I personally thought Goldeneye was a better game overall.

For a starter, all the rooms weren't GREY like Perfect Dark (A lot of Perfect dark had Grey Walls, Grey Floors and even doors).

The Story to Perfect dark wasn't that great... the gameplay was rubbish and looked like it should've been released on the GameCube because the N64 couldn't handel the Multiplayer mode very well. And overall... I just thought the gameplay and replay value were rubbish.

That's my opinion anyhow...

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I like both. I don't think one is better than the other.

Goldeneye007:

The game is awesome. The 1 player missions are fun, but hard. The music is awesome. I use to play for the music at some point :p:

When you play multiplayer, the life bars work differently. You need to get shot many times before dying if you don't have a special suit (it adds a blue bar of life) It makes the games longer.

The maps aren't so different from PD to Goldeneye007 though

In perfect dark, you have less missions, but they're still fun. Many objectives and different levels.

In the multiplayer part, you can make your own games, but you also have many challenges to train at different things. Capture the briefcase, capture the zone...etc. YOu can also schoose your character. None of them are good looking, but that's no the point. YOu also have many types of guns. Some kill in one shot, some shoot many bullets at the same time, shoot less...Same as Goldeneye, but I think PD offers more guns...not sure.[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

The gun selection is Perfect Dark was fairly unappealing, which is odd because PD probably had a better variety, such as the laptop gun. It was nifty how you could place that on the walls. I prefer the guns from Goldeneye, mostly the pistol.

PD probably would've made a much better Game Cube game. That still wouldn't save it from its single-player mode and lame levels. I didn't have these problems at all the first couple years and especially the first time going through the game. It was all new and enjoyable, but it just didn't give me the replay value I thought it would. The multiplayer mode is much better than its single player mode, definitely.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]The part about the pistols: I can't stand pistols. They don't kill quickly enough in PD and they can't carry a lot of bullets, so if you miss a few times, you need to load up again and you get shot before. Happens. Comps that run beside you are harder to aim at, so when you have guns with 30 bullets at least, you could manage to kill the opponent before having to reload. But I also don't remember having to reload while fighting in goldeneye.[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

The enemies in PD seem more difficult to hit. Or maybe I'm just better at Goldeneye. I've certainly played it more. I think the pistol in PD actually holds more ammo than the pistol in Goldeneye. Goldeneye holds 7, and PD holds 8, I believe.

The pistol is certainly my weapon of choice, too. Nice accuracy.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I forgot the amount of bullets for Goldeneye. My point is wrong then. Well I don't know, but when I fight computers in goldeneye, I have an easier time shooting them. I don't know why though -_-[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

They probably move slower. The enemies in Perfect Dark can move fairly fast and be difficult to shoot at times. Shooting enemies in Goldeneye is funner anyway, although I did enjoy how the enemies in PD talked. They'd sometimes say amusing things like "that was my best friend" or "I never liked that guy anyway."

Posted by maian

I dunno. I never have problems with multiplayer on PD regarding speed and power. It goes fine and still smoothly when I'm running eight Sims and just me. The only time it really slows for me is when I have four players, and six+ Sims. But that doesn't happen often.

Posted by Saruman

PD's game play sucked, always twitching. I couldn't handle it.

Besides Goldeneye had a good gameplay, plus license to kill, complex, and pistols only. Any takers?

Posted by Dexter

Quoting maian: I dunno. I never have problems with multiplayer on PD regarding speed and power. It goes fine and still smoothly when I'm running eight Sims and just me.

It often runs smoothly for me, but not when there is too much going on at once. The expansion pack just wasn't enough for it. If there's bombs going off or smoke in the air, the frame rate gets all messy and it makes it difficult to play. Playing one player with 8 sims is easier, but with four players it gets too ugly. Perfect Dark's multiplayer is actually a lot more fun playing single player.

What rank are you?

Posted by maian

I'm around 10 or 11 right now, but I was a 6 before my stuff got erased. =/

Well, I'll always think Perfect Dark is better.

Me and my friend have so much fun on multiplayer, and we can have so much fun with the guns we use. Maybe the problem I had with Goldeneye's guns is, well, they were all guns. ;| The same type of thing. However, even if a gun in PD was normal, it typically had a contrasting second function, which made things really fun. If you have a crazy set of guns, it makes for a truly epic multiplayer match. :) Try mixing Farsights, RCP-120s, Slayers, Remote Mines, and other crazy guns into a match. When they all counter-balance each other, it's awesome. Something that probably makes our multiplayer better is the cheats, since I have all of them. I don't care if it's "cheating", unlimited ammo, no reloads, and hurricane fists truly add a new level of awesome to gameplay. Unlimited ammo combo'd with hurricane fists allows for intense mineplay. :)

And, even if Goldeneye's levels are better, nothing will ever match Perfect Dark's grid. Nothing.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Dexter: They probably move slower. The enemies in Perfect Dark can move fairly fast and be difficult to shoot at times. Shooting enemies in Goldeneye is funner anyway, although I did enjoy how the enemies in PD talked. They'd sometimes say amusing things like "that was my best friend" or "I never liked that guy anyway."

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]
Yes I do agree that the sims in PD are moving quite fast. I don't always enjoy that. In the map "temple", there is a big room where the sims tend to always meet and they keep moving in that room, but they aim instantly at you, while as you just try to keep your focus on them...annoying.

And in the missions, I recall Miss Dark :p: to have this typical british accent. I found it annoying at first, but now I think it gives her character after all :)[/COLOR]

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Goldeneye was like a videogame version of Seinfeld - everything just came together perfectly. You can put the best ingredients in any game, but you're not going to get anything ever again that mixes together the way Goldeneye did.

Posted by Megatron

I enjoy both games but like Perfect Dark more. I lost interest with GoldenEyes single player during the Jungle mission where in Perfect Dark I was hooked until the very end. Plus in multiplayer I can keep myself entertained by myself for awhile.

Posted by Tyler Durden

I find GoldenEye to be supperior in this arguement just for the simple fact that.. Yeah, 007 kept the gameplay simple. You didn't need all of those whitty gadgets or fancy weapons to enjoy yourself, that's just straight forward eye candy to me. I found the storyline [of GE] engaging enough to pass through it four times. Through each level, leaping over every difficulty setting. Maybe it was for the blunt fact that the multiplayer was more welcoming to me. It didn't contain alot of those bothersome options and setup menus as seen in PD? Sims? Who wants to fight bots in multiplayer? You'd have to be lame or just suck really bad to rely on Sims as targets. Nothing replaces the feeling of the hunt or the escape more than playing alongside 3 other actual people, or comrades. Sims, to me, that's just blind target practice. Bots can't mimic or even begin to emulate the true nature of a gamer, actions and cues only a human gamer would do in certain scenarios: ie. crossfire grudges, snipe runs, bomb raids, or head-on showdowns and shootouts.

Posted by Dexter

True that sims can't play like humans, nor can they ever be as enjoyable to battle against, but they can still offer you plenty of challenge. With their difficulty levels and custom personalities, you could get a healthy mix of sims to give a single player a strong, often addicting challenge. They are incredibly easy if you set it up in a lame fashion, such as using Far-Sights, but as long as you set it up correctly, the sims can offer you lots of fun.

Sometimes I set up teams and make my teammates easier than the enemies. This way I have to protect them from dying while keeping our score on top. Creative ways like this give it some nice replay value.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Quoting Dexter: Sometimes I set up teams and make my teammates easier than the enemies. This way I have to protect them from dying while keeping our score on top. Creative ways like this give it some nice replay value.

You have your own valid points, I'll give it some more looking into. Thanks for the heads up, Dex..

Posted by maian

SHI YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE STUFF ON MULTIPLAYER

Honestly, saying it has "too many menus to make it complicated" is just stupid. Most of the stuff never even needed adjusting, but it allowed you to play in any way you want. And with sims, you don't need those for multiplayer (although we've found them fun many times), but it allows you to set up your own game, single player. It's like playing just solid Melee in SSBM instead of being only allowed to play the single player mode.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Quoting Megatron: I enjoy both games but like Perfect Dark more. I lost interest with GoldenEyes single player during the Jungle mission where in Perfect Dark I was hooked until the very end. Plus in multiplayer I can keep myself entertained by myself for awhile.

Holy crap, Megatron is back! That ain't a name I've seen around here in awhile... what's goin down, bro?

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Goldeneye is great for that "feel good" game play experience, the levels are simple the controls are equally as simple but at the same time you get completely absobed into it, I call this the "Tetris Effect".

Perfect Dark, you really have to work to beat the times for the cheats than there was the Target Shooting gallery and all the Combat Simulator stuff to play around with, I can easily fully complete all 4 files in Goldeneye in one sitting, But I have to spend 3 or 4 sessions with a single PD file to get it all done (and that's only on a good day).

In terms of Multiplayer, it's a matter of balancing the number of sims with the number of players. For full speed remove about two sims for each human player, if lag doesn't bother you than go nuts.:D The fact that the multiplayer logs EVERYTHING you'd possibly want to know and brag about on your profile (kills, bullets fired, deaths to kills ratios, accuracy, awards est) a feature of which the lack there of lessens the impact of other FPS (most notably Halo; which is a great game but with a stats record could've been so much better).

Goldeneye, you were limited to very specific match conditions and very few weapons of which you could not pick and choose. Though Rockets in the Complex and Proxies in the Archives are multiplayer modes that no other FPS has come close to reproducing the joy of, the sheer multitude of customisation in characters, weapons and modes makes PD a better "shoot out" than GoldenEye could offer.

Posted by ccrocker58

I gotta say I liked PD much better. I preferred the increased speed of the game, the ability to play the multiplayer alone, the intense customization, the vast assortment of weapons, the weapons featuring second functions, the harder solo player...all around it just did more for me than Geye did.

And besides, who didn't love throwing a Proxy Dragon under the ammo crates?

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Exact reason I find GoldenEye more fun than Perfect Dark: More Memories.

The only HUGE fault that PD has is that rediculous "realistic" blurred vision effect that came up when you got punched, tranqed or N-Bombed.

Sure, it's a cool effect for the tranquuiler darts and sedative arrows to have, but it shouldn't have been for punches and its effects NEVER should've lasted into your next life.

Posted by Dexter

I liked that addition, but it would've been a bit better if there were an option to turn it off in multiplayer.

Posted by ccrocker58

Quoting Angerion the Brave: The only HUGE fault that PD has is that rediculous "realistic" blurred vision effect that came up when you got punched, tranqed or N-Bombed.

Sure, it's a cool effect for the tranquuiler darts and sedative arrows to have, but it shouldn't have been for punches and its effects NEVER should've lasted into your next life.

Ah you make an excellent point...I did hate that...It was really strange how they decided that the dizzyness would carry over to your respawn...I disliked/liked the concept altogether. I disliked how it made me somewhat naucious, but liked how they made the NPC able to be dizzied as well...Back then such things were often unseen.

Another thing that I didn't like (though its completely irrelevent and doesn't affect how awsome the game is) is the fact that when you turn on all the cheats to go rampaging through your favourite stages, the ALL WEAPONS cheat activates everything except the Slayer, which would've been so much fun.:D

Posted by Saihig

I judge fps primarily for their multiplayer mode. And i gotto go with PD. It was just way better than GE in my opinion. The one thing I really hated about GE was that strange second of invulnerability you got whenever you got hit.

Posted by Dexter

It was also strange what a huge difference it made when they took it away with PD. One would die so much faster, making it more difficult. You had to change your method of playing quite a lot to adapt to losing that invulnerability moment. It probably was better without, but boy would Goldeneye have been a different, probably more annoying, experience without it.

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

becasue James Bond kicks so much *** it makes me want to cry, ;_;

Posted by Zelda_Guy

Heres my opoinion,

Golden Eye for 1p

PD for multiplayer!

Posted by D.J Cat

Me, I think its the other way around.

You can play Perfect Dark for days and days in the combat simulator + the single player mode is more challenging and deep.

And I just personally found Goldeneye way more fun for versing other humans either in a 1 on 1 or a a free for all.
Co-operative rules in Perfect Dark though, either in the campaign or against simulates...man you can have endless fun with that.

Posted by Xero

Quoting D.J Cat:
You can play Perfect Dark for days and days in the combat simulator + the single player mode is more challenging and deep..

Agreed. There are a lot of possibilities to entertain yourself (and with friends) outside the missions given.

Quoting D.J Cat: Co-operative rules in Perfect Dark though, either in the campaign or against simulates...man you can have endless fun with that.

Well I wish we could use the campaign maps in a multiplayer game. Those maps were big. I like it when there's a lot of space to move around.

Posted by Momentum

The sole reason I personally enjoy Goldeneye to Perfect Dark is the basic premise by which the single player is built around. As a whole, Goldeneye's single player was designed to be a stealth-first game in which all out frontal assaults were rarely the best option and even more rarely successful. Stealth, subtlety, and strategy were essentially the main points of the single player missions. Yeah you had your occasional huge firefight, but that's usually because the game set it up that way (as in Control, Statue Park).

Perfect Dark just seemed to trick me into thinking it would be that way, but it never did. Every level where it seemed you needed stealth (the one with the cam-spy where you have to photograph or listen to the meeting or something), it ended in you running through a hailstorm of bullets eventually.

Don't get me wrong, I love unloading clip after clip into enemies, but I think I'd rather be playing something where I knew that was the idea. PD ran on the stealth engine, but played like a frenzied firefight most of the time.

Later